The best baby foam play mat can help you create a safe space for your child to play. Playmats come in various shapes and sizes. Some are tile-shaped, while others come in a foldable variety that can collapse into a single piece. These mats are also made of high-quality foam that is long-lasting and ensures the perfectly cushioned space for your child to play.
Playmats are smartly designed to nurture your baby’s creativity and help them learn and explore shapes, alphabets, and colors. Here are some best play mats that can help you create a safe spot for your baby’s playtime so they can enjoy playing without injuries.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Baby Foam Play Mat
1. Best For Learning While Playing: Tadpoles ABC Playmat
Tadpoles’ playmat is made of high-quality imported EVA foam that is non-toxic and safe for children. This is a one-of-a-kind fun playmat that will help your child learn while playing. The high-density foam creates a soft base for your child’s comfort. This 36-piece alphabet play mat with 24 border pieces can be easily interlocked, and each piece fits precisely.
The grooved surface prevents the child from slipping, and the mat does not contain harmful chemicals, phthalates, and lead. It is easy to maintain and can be wiped clean with a damp cloth and soap.
- Stackable for convenient storage
- May attract dirt
- May be thinner than expected
2. Best Textured: ProSource Kids Floor Play Mat
Create a colorful play area for your little one with the 36-piece colorful playmat. It provides a fun and safe environment for your child to crawl and play with toys. Each block is made of textured material to keep your child from slipping or sliding. It is made of high-density, long-lasting EVA foam to provide cushioned comfort for your child, and the floor mat has a large surface and provides ample coverage.
This interlocking puzzle mat is lightweight and straightforward to put together. The bright colors stimulate your child’s brain, which aids in early learning.
- Aids visual stimulation
- Non-slip grip
- Free of phthalates
- Some pieces may not snap together
- Corners may be slightly flimsy
3. Best Collapsible Design: Gupamiga Baby Folding mat
The Gupamiga baby folding mat creates protective flooring for your child’s delicate body. It is made of high-density XPE material that is durable and soft for your child’s comfort. The lightweight mat features a collapsible design that makes it simple to transport from one location to another. You can effortlessly clean the waterproof material with a damp and soft cloth.
- Extra-large play area
- Leaves no food residue or milk stains
- Features appealing animal prints
- Reversible mat
- Convenient to store
- May not be tear-resistant
- May not be dog-proof
4. Best Foldable: Baby Care Play Mat
Tired of puzzle mats? The Baby Care play mat is a large one-piece foldable mat for babies to crawl, walk, and play without fear of injury. You can easily clean the water-resistant material with a soft, damp cloth.
It has been tested for hygiene and is suitable for all floor surfaces. It does not contain phthalates, lead, latex, EVA, or formaldehyde. The mat’s exciting animal print is ideal for stimulating the child’s natural learning instincts.
- Double-sided design
- Rolls up for convenient storage
- Anti-skid textured surface
- Two-year warranty
- May have an overpowering foam smell
- May not endure high pressure
5. Best Safe: Toddleroo by North States ABC Play Mat
Todderloo foldable play mat by North States measures 71X71 inches when fully opened, creating ample space for children to have fun. This play mat’s unique design with alphabet prints creates a large play area for small children to coral and play. It is made of long-lasting PE foam that has been labeled hygienic for children’s safety. The mat is PVC-free and flame retardant.
The soft floor surface provides a safe landing and keeps the child from falling. You can effortlessly transport this lightweight material from one location to another.
- Easy wipe clean
- Ideal for hardwood, grass, and carpets
- May be slippery on certain surfaces
6. Best Easy-To-Store: JumpOff Jo Play Mat
This JumpOff Jo toddler play mat is specially designed to make your child comfortable. After opening, the size of the cushion is 76X58 inches, providing enough room for the whole family to play with the baby. The reversible print on the mat has white floral and fairy designs with unicorns to make your child intuitive and curious.
The compact design is convenient for storage and transportation. It is safe to use because it is BPA- and phthalate-free. The textured design gives a firm grip on the ground and prevents your child from slipping.
- Provides ample space to crawl
- Prevents absorption
- Visually-stimulating pattern
- Mat may be slightly thin
7. Best Water Resistant: Yay Mats Baby Play Mat
The play mat from Yay Mats that is perfect for tummy time and helps your child’s early development. The soft material of this mat helps prevent flat-head syndrome and strengthen muscles when crawling. The play mat is made of high-quality EVA foam and does not contain toxic materials.
The hypoallergenic foam is free of BPA and phthalates, making it safe for your child’s health. The water-resistant mat is simple to clean and can be wiped down with a damp cloth. Interlocking design allows you to make the play area as large as you want.
- Larger tile design
- Designed to develop visual development
- Non-slip surface
- Comes in a carrying case
- May not be as thick as expected
- Patterned design may not withstand rough use
8. Best Reversible: Skip Hop Baby Play Mat
Bring home this reversible floor mat with a child-friendly pattern and double-sided design. The waterproof pad is made of PVC-free material and can be wiped clean with a damp cloth. When fully opened, the size is 86X52 inches, providing a large area for children to play. You can effortlessly roll it up for safe and convenient storage. This jumbo-sized mat is designed with non-toxic materials, which is suitable for the baby’s sensitive skin.
- Phthalate-free foam
- Smooth surface
- Burr-free edges
- Cushy and comfortable
- May stain slightly
- May be a bit thin
9. Best Interlocking: Play Platoon Children’s Play Mat
Customize the size of the play mat with this children’s play mat from Play Platoon. This is made of 100% non-toxic EVA foam, providing a safe and comfortable surface for your child to play. It is made with ultra-durable water-resistant foam and provides a durable cushioning surface to prevent your child from getting hurt.
The interlocking play mat has six large pieces to create a vast play area of 72X72 inches, allowing your child to crawl freely. It can be disassembled and stacked together for easy storage. The gray mat has a neutral pattern that is inviting and soothing to the eyes.
- Extra thick
- Includes border pieces for a finished look
- Free of phthalate, BPA, lead, and PVC
- Available in two colors
- May be slightly slippery
- May not be tear-resistant
10. Best Soft: Little Bot Play mat
Designed beautifully with the foldable style to provide your child safety and comfort. The pet-friendly mat is waterproof and easy to clean and maintain. This mat is a large piece of single foam that can easily be rolled up for safe storage. The foam mat does not contain harsh or toxic materials, making it safe for babies.
- Reversible side design
- Free of heavy metals, formaldehyde, PVC, and phthalate
- Safe to be vacuumed
- Soft corners
- May not be scratch-resistant
- May get stained from coffee and urine
11. Best Lightweight: Flagav Baby Play Mat
This playmat from Flagav is made of ultra-light and non-toxic XPE foam material to provide safe care for your child. The foldable mat comes with a bag that allows safe storage and easy transportation.
The reversible mat has cute and attractive patterns, stimulating children’s curiosity and allowing them to explore. The textured material gives a firm grip on the floor and prevents children from slipping.
- Five-layer design
- Extra thick padding
- Ideal for crawling and playtime
- Waterproof PE finish
- May not be tear-resistant
- May not be large enough
12. Best Enclosed: Inex Life Baby Play Mat
Inex Life’s baby care pad has 16 square tiles, 16 edge tiles, and four corner tiles. The unique design of this play mat creates an enclosed area for your children to engage in fun activities. Mat’s corner tiles have a semicircular shape to protect children from injuries.
The stylish and hypoallergenic mat is made of durable foam that is free of lead, BPA, and latex. It is also water-resistant and easy to clean. Each tile depicts a particular animal and various shapes to keep the child engaged and intuitive.
- Seamless design
- Fits any play area
- Fence may be slightly flimsy
- May not be stain-resistant
13. Best For Exercise: Xdemoda Baby Play Mat
Bring home this unique reversible play mat from Xdemoda that is ideal for play and exercise. It measures 79×71 inches and can provide children with a vast play area. The mat does not contain harmful chemicals such as phthalates, BPA, lead, and formaldehyde.
The cushioned layer is well insulated and hypoallergenic, and the waterproof material is easy to clean and maintain. It comes with a carry pack for easy storage and safe transportation.
- Food- and stain-resistant
- Five layer design
- Cushy and cozy
- Has noise and shock-absorbing features
- May get dirty over time
- May not be scratch-resistant
What Features Should I Look For In A Baby Foam Play Mat?
Consider these features before buying a baby foam play mat.
- Usability: If you are looking for a mat that can be used even when your child grows up, look for a one-piece mat with subtle prints that you can place in any corner of your house.
- Maintenance: Look for water-resistant mats for easy cleaning.
- Features: If you use these mats on a mattress or a rug, then you can choose a thin foam frame. However, if you want to use them on floors, choose a mat with a durable foam design to protect your child from injuries.
- Style: Mats with stylish and appealing prints can be attractive to children. It aids in the stimulation of your child’s brain for intuitive learning.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, a talented and dedicated writer, has compiled this list of the best baby foam play mats to help your children have a safe and comfortable space for playtime. After considering features, maintenance, use, and style, these products have been handpicked so you can choose a product best suited for your needs. The list has detailed descriptions and a helpful buying guide to ensure you have a seamless shopping experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are baby play mats necessary?
Play mats help create a safe place for your little one. They are better than hard floors, especially when you have no rugs or carpets on the floor. Play mats help babies to move and explore safely (1).
2. At what age should my baby go on a play mat?
A baby can start playing on a playmat when they are around three months old. You can specifically also use a play mat for tummy time. Tummy time helps your little one strengthen their neck and encourages them to crawl (2).
3. Are baby play mats safe?
Yes, play mats encourage your little one to crawl, move, roll, and explore (1). However, consider play mats that are non-toxic and made from safe material.
4. How thick should the play mat be?
Consider a play mat that is half an inch to one inch thick, to protect your little one from getting hurt as they play. Ensure that the mat is large enough to play and doesn’t restrict the movements.
5. How do I keep a play mat clean?
Wipe the surface of the play mat gently with liquid detergent and lukewarm water. If the manufacturer suggests cleaning instructions, it is best to follow them.
6. Are baby playmats worth it?
Play mats boost motor skills, help identify patterns, textures, and shapes, strengthen the hand and leg muscles, and stimulate sensory skills. Although a play mat is not an essential accessory, they help in the development of your little one.
Foam play mats provide a fun and safe place for your little ones to play. When choosing one for your child, ensure it comes in bright colors and features numbers, letters, and fun prints to ensure your baby learns while having fun. Further, choose foam mats made of baby-friendly materials and ensure they are easy to clean. The mat you choose should also be well-cushioned and not emit any odors. These mats can not only guarantee fun for your little one but also help them learn.
- Important Milestones: Your Baby By Nine Months
- Back to Sleep Tummy to Play
- Best Baby Play Mats
- Best Baby Bath Mats
- Best Placemats For Toddlers
- Best Non-Slip Bath Mats For Baby
View Profile ›