If your baby has Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), you need the best baby formula for reflux to help relieve the symptoms. GERD is acid reflux that occurs in babies when the stomach contents flow back into the esophagus because of a malfunction in the lower esophageal sphincter. GERD can cause frequent vomiting and regurgitation in babies, which can tire them out.
It is normal for infants below 18 months to have gastroesophageal reflux (GER). However, you should consult a pediatrician if your baby suffers from severe reflux. Once the doctor rules out GERD, you can use an anti-reflux baby formula to ease out your baby’s constant regurgitation and vomiting (1). while improving your infant’s development. Here is a list of baby formulas you can try.
10 Best Baby Formulas For Reflux
1. Best For Baby’s Spit Up: Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula
Enfamil A.R is a pediatric-recommended brand that has been clinically proven to reduce spit-ups by over 50% in one week without causing any nutritional imbalance. This baby formula for reflux meets the AAP reflux reduction guidelines and is suitable for babies up to 12 months. Check out the in-depth review of this product for more information.
Enfamil A.R is a pediatric recommended brand that has been clinically proven to reduce spit-ups by over 50% in one week without causing any nutritional imbalance. This baby formula for reflux meets the AAP reflux reduction guidelines and is suitable for babies up to 12 months. Check out the review of this product for more information.
Item form: Powder| Recommended age: 0-12 months| Key ingredients: Iron,DHA, vitamins, probiotics
- Has DHA for brain and eye development
- Filled with iron, probiotics, and vitamins
- Cow milk protein
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) eligible
- Contains probiotics
- Some babies may experience constipation
- May foam a bit
2. Best For Digestive Health: Gerber Good Start SoothePro Infant Formula
Made with probiotic L. reuteri and HMO, Gerber Good Start SoothePro can give complete nutrition and comfort as breastmilk and supports digestive health and immunity. This mommy-approved baby formula for reflux has prebiotic and probiotic ingredients that provide extra comfort for babies experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms, such as excessive colic, crying, fussiness, and gas. The packaging comes with a specially designed lid, which locks in the freshness and makes it easier to scoop the powder. Gerber SoothePro is ideal for babies up to 12 months without lactose intolerance or allergies.
- Enzymatically hydrolyzed whey protein solid is easily digestible
- Helps to reduce spit ups
- Clinically proven to help with sensitive stomachs
- DHA for brain and eye development
- Contains HMO, found in breast milk
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Some may find it hard to mix without clumps
- May cause constipation in some children
3. Best DHA And Calcium Content: Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula
Similac pro-total comfort, made with non-artificial growth hormones, is an ideal and healthy mom’s choice formula for babies. Its palm olein oil-free formula allows more efficient absorption of DHA and calcium and helps with softer stools. Similac pro-total comfort contains easily digestible cow’s milk protein, which works well on babies experiencing fussiness, gassiness, and crying, and is suitable for their overall growth and development. It is not for babies with galactosemia and protein allergies.
Item form: Powder| Recommended age: 0-12 months| Key ingredients: Nonfat milk, whey protein concentrate, lactose, minerals, vitamins
- Contains 2′-FL HMO prebiotic for improved immunity
- Hydrolyzed whey protein solids for easy digestion
- Supports brain and eyesight development
- Controls spit ups
- Eligible for SNAP benefits
- Some may find it hard to mix without making clumps
- Not suitable for babies with protein allergies and galactosemia
4. Best For Infant’s Overall Tolerance: Similac Sensitive Infant Formula
Similac sensitive infant formula is packed with essential nutrients for an infant’s overall growth, brain and eye development. The partially hydrolyzed baby formula for reflux helps reduce fussiness, excessive spit-ups caused by intact milk protein intolerance, and lactose sensitivity. Further, it helps improve overall tolerance to formula when experiencing GERD symptoms. The baby-friendly formula comes in a powder form and a ready-to-use liquid and is ideal for babies without galactosemia up to 12 months.
Item form: Liquid| Recommended age: 0-12 months| Key ingredients: Water, milk protein isolate, sugar, maltodextrin, coconut oil
- No artificial growth hormones
- Milk protein isolate for lactose sensitivity
- OptiGro formula with DHA, lutein, and vitamin E
- Corn syrup as a thickener
- No palm olein oil
- May leave powdery residue in the bottle
- Some babies may experience constipation
5. Best For Colic Relief: Enfamil Nutramigen Baby Formula
Enfamil Nutramigen is gentle, lactose-free, and hypoallergenic. Formulated by a trusted brand, this product helps enhance the babies’ digestive health and immunity. The extensively hydrolyzed protein where milk protein is broken down into smaller molecules (building blocks) so that it will not trigger the allergic reactions, supporting the digestive system, and promoting immune system balance. It does not use sucrose as its carbohydrate source and does not contain any artificial growth hormones. This pediatrician-recommended formula may also help reduce asthma and eczema allergies and is great for babies’ overall growth and development.
Item form: Liquid| Recommended age: 0-10 months| Key ingredients: Water, corn syrup solids, vegetable oil, vitamins, minerals
- Enflora™ LGG® probiotics for good digestive health
- DHA and ARA aid brain and eye development
- No artificial growth hormones
- Fast relief from colic within 48 hours
- Allergy-friendly for babies with cow’s milk protein allergy
- Ready-to-feed formula
- Formula may cause strong burping smell
- Some children may not like the taste
Why It’s Worth Buying: The tried-and-tested product boasts 9,090 customer reviews on Amazon, and many buyers have said they would purchase the product again.
6. Best For Sensitive Tummies: Happy Baby Organics Infant Formula
Happy Baby Organic Infant Formula is 100% organic without artificial ingredients, GMOs, or hormones. It’s made from milk sourced from organic dairy farms, and its probiotic mix formula helps support the baby’s digestive health. The formula has been specially formulated and modeled after the breast milk’s unique nutrient composition to assist in the healthy overall growth and development of your baby. Moreover, this baby formula contains DHA and ARA for eye and brain development, folic acid, iron, calcium, vitamin D, and more for a healthy immune system.
Item form: Powder| Recommended age: 0-12 months| Key ingredients: Corn syrup, nonfat milk, palm olein, partially hydrolyzed whey protein solids, coconut oil, soy oil
- Helps reduce fussiness, gas, and crying
- Helps reduce spit ups
- Certified USDA organic
- Suitable for children sensitive to lactose
- Some may not find the formula’s smell appealing
- May result in constipation in some babies
7. Best Hypoallergenic: Neocate Infant Baby Formula
Neocate Infant formula is an amino acid-based formula that is hypoallergenic. This baby formula for reflux is suitable for your little one’s dietary management as it is free of MFA (multiple food allergies) and CMA (cow milk allergy). Infused with the goodness of nucleotides and DHA/ARA, this trusted formula helps support eye and brain development. It is ideal for children up to 12 months.
Item form: Powder| protein equivalent| DHA| ARA| linoleic acid| folic acid| vitamins| minerals Recommended age: 0-12 months| Key ingredients: Calcium
- Dairy- and soy oil-free
- Provides essential nutrients for overall growth and development
- No artificial colors or sweeteners added
- Halal and kosher pareve
- Some babies may not like the taste
- Some parents noticed changes in poop texture
8. Best Goat Milk Formula: Holle Stage 3 Goat Milk For Toddlers
Meant for babies one year and up, this formula is made of whole EU-organic goat’s milk that is easily digestible for children. Your child can consume it as a mixed diet during weaning or bottle feeding. This baby formula for reflux is nutrient-rich, containing a healthy blend of micronutrients, fats, and carbohydrates. This product is certified vegetarian and free of soy and gluten.
- No artificial preservatives, palm oil, or corn syrup
- DHA & iron support brain development
- Vitamins A, D, and C support the immune system
- May have canola oil
- Some toddlers may dislike the taste
9. Best Non-GMO Ingredients: Earth’s Best Organic Gentle Infant Powder Formula
Earth’s Best offers a gentle, organic formula to help reduce crying, fussiness, and gas with partially hydrolyzed whey protein solids to ease digestion. With DHA and ARA fatty acids, prebiotics, and lutein, this formula is trusted by moms as it supports your little one’s brain and eye development, digestive health, and immunity. The formula meets FDA’s nutrition requirements and is ideal for babies with sensitive stomachs or lactose intolerance until they are 12 months.
Item form: Powder| organic nonfat milk| organic palm oil| partially hydrolyzed whey protein solids Recommended age: 3-12 months| Key ingredients: Organic lactose
- Partially hydrolyzed whey protein and lactose
- Certified USDA organic
- Iron-fortified for red blood cell development
- Non-GMO ingredients
- No artificial growth hormones
- Some babies may dislike the taste
- Some may find the formula frothy
10. Best For Toddlers: Serenity Kids’ Whole Milk Toddler Formula
Rich in A2 protein that helps replicate the traditional cow milk taste, Serenity Kids’ whole milk toddler formula is crafted with important nutrients and is easy to digest. This grass-fed formula is a safe and effective choice as it is good for the overall growth and development of your little one, as it uses essential probiotics like 2′-fucosyllactose (2′-FL) and lacto-N-neotetraose (LNnT) that encourage good bacteria growth in the digestive tract and support the immune system. It also contains nutrient-rich fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, sustainably sourced palm oil, cocoa butter, and more.
Item form: Powder| Recommended age: 3-12 months| Key ingredients: Organic lactose,organic A2 whole milk powder, organic whey protein concentrate, extra virgin olive oil
- Contains organic milk lactose
- Natural food sources used for better vitamins
- DHA & ARA omegas for eye and brain development
- No corn or rice syrup and gluten-free
- Taste may not be appealing to some
- May not suit allergy-prone children
Disclaimer: The information given in this section has been taken from manufacturers’ sources. MomJunction is not responsible for any of the claims made here. We recommend readers’ discretion.
How To Choose The Right Baby Reflux Formula?
Here are some factors to keep in mind while buying a baby reflux formula. Also, check with your baby’s pediatrician before choosing one.
- Ingredients: Formulas should contain a certain percentage of protein, fats, carbs, and a particular profile of vitamins and minerals specified by the FDA for your infant’s development. Some formulas may also contain probiotics, DHA, AHA, iron, etc., to provide extra health benefits. It is vital to review the ingredients list and choose a formula depending on their nutrition needs. Additionally, testing how your baby reacts to the new formula by giving them a controlled amount is a good way to know if it is suitable for your little one.
- Type: Cow’s milk-based, partially-hydrolyzed, specialized, and soy formula are the four types of reflux formulas. If your baby has lactose intolerance or cow milk protein allergies, hydrolyzed formula is a better option. There are also plant-based formulas available, such as soy formula.
- Form: Formulas come as powders, concentrated, and ready-to-use liquids. Powder formulas and concentrated liquid formulas are mixed with water, whereas ready-to-use ones come pre-mixed and do not require additional water.
- Accessibility: You may need reflux formulas up to your baby’s first 12 months, so choose one that is easily accessible at local or online stores.
Tok-Hui Yeap, a board-certified pediatric nutrition specialist, says, “If you still don’t know which formula would work best, check with a pediatric dietitian to help you decide based on your baby’s symptoms.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, our in-house writer and reviewer of baby products, has compiled this must-buy list of the best baby formulas for reflux after studying the users’ requirements, reviewer’s experience, the safety of the products, and their ingredients. She has also considered reviews and feedback on various trustworthy sources, and chosen pediatrician-recommended products that will best suit your needs. A buying guide has also been prepared to help you make an informed decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can switching to formula help reflux?
Reflux is common in babies until they grow to one year old. Switching to different formula milk may help you to some extent. You should also follow burping techniques and try using thickened formula (1).
2. Do certain formulas make reflux worse?
Formulas based on cow milk can worsen reflux for some infants. Those babies may be lactose intolerant and allergic to cow milk.
3. How do you know if the formula doesn’t agree with the baby?
Excessive crying, inadequate gas, fussiness, loose stools, and fatigue are some of the symptoms triggered in infants when the formula doesn’t agree with the baby(2). So, experts advise following the steps given on the formula milk label to feed your baby properly.
4. At what age does reflux peak in babies?
Usually, reflux begins two to three weeks after your little one is born. It continues to grow and reach its peak when your infant is around four to five months (3). The reflux symptoms vanish when the baby’s digestive system matures.
5. Can I give my baby an anti-reflux formula?
Anti-reflux formulas are formulated specially to manage reflux in babies. But it’s highly recommended that you consult a pediatrician before giving anti-reflux formula to your little one.
The Bottom Line
The options listed here for the best baby formulas for reflux have been chosen after carefully studying the users’ requirements as well as the safety of the product ingredients so that you can relieve your baby’s vomiting issues. These specially formulated baby foods are good for babies’ immune systems, promote digestive health, and improve your infant’s development while reducing the chances of spit-ups. Our top pick is Gerber Good Start SoothePro Infant Formula which is clinically proven to help sensitive stomachs. Another excellent option is Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula which supports brain development. Baby formulas are a great way to make your little one’s life more comfortable, so make sure you consider their needs and pick the most suitable option.
Infographic: Points To Consider About Formulas For Acid Reflux
A baby’s esophagus sphincter causes acid reflux when it weakens due to the baby lying in a horizontal position and digesting large portions of liquid meals. Go through the infographic to find a formula to soothe a baby with acid reflux.
- Bottle feeding challenges
- Infant formula
- Gastroesophageal Reflux & Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Parent FAQs
- Cronobacter Infection and Infants
- Best Baby Formulas For Newborns
- Best Soy Formulas For Babies
- Best Baby Formula Makers
- Best Formula For Gassy Babies To Avoid Colic
- Best Organic Baby Formulas