Parents are overjoyed when they get to witness the first steps their little ones. But as soon as the baby starts moving by themselves, you also have to worry about their safety. The staircase is one of the places where babies can easily trip and fall and you need to ensure the utmost safety to keep them safe. The best baby gates for stairs are a great way to keep your little one from stepping into the staircase. If you are planning to install one in your house, this post would help you choose the right one that suits your needs. Scroll along to find the pros and cons of some baby gates for stairs and a buying guide.
- 1 Best Double-Lock Cumbor Safety Baby Gate Cumbor $99.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $99.99 ON AMAZON
- 2 Best Easy-To-Install Regalo 2-In-1 Extra Tall Easy Swing Baby Gate Regalo-baby $44.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $44.99 ON AMAZON
- 3 Best Pressure-Mounted Safety 1st Magnetic Latch Gate Safety 1st $47.6 ON AMAZON Read More › $47.6 ON AMAZON
- 4 Best For Doorways Evenflo Secure Step Gate Evenflo $64.26 ON AMAZON Read More › $64.26 ON AMAZON
- 5 Best Wall-Mounted Cardinal Gates Stairway Angle Baby Gate Cardinal Gates $89.95 ON AMAZON Read More › $89.95 ON AMAZON
- 6 Best Metal Finish Summer Infant Top of Stairs Simple To Secure Metal Gate Summerinfant $61.74 ON AMAZON Read More › $61.74 ON AMAZON
- 7 Best Innovative Toddleroo By North States Baby Gate Northstatesind $71.24 ON AMAZON Read More › $71.24 ON AMAZON
- 8 Best With Wall Protectors Babelio Extra Wide Metal Baby Gate Babelio $89.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $89.99 ON AMAZON
- 9 Best Extra-Wide Summer Infant Banister & Stair Safety Gate Summerinfant $99.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $99.99 ON AMAZON
- 10 Best Sturdy Perma Child Safety Indoor/Outdoor Retractable Baby Gate Perma Child Safety $43.7 ON AMAZON Read More › $43.7 ON AMAZON
11 Best Baby Gates For Stairs
Cumbor’s baby gate has a safety height of 30.5 inches and expandable width of 29.5 to 46 inches. This walk-through gate makes it easier to walk while carrying the baby. The gate has an ergonomically designed double-lock safety release, making it difficult for children to open. This expandable gate is ideal for stairwells, hallways, doors, and other open areas. Safe and effective, the lock can also auto-close so that the gate is not left open accidentally.
- Suits most doors
- Easy installation
- Can withstand a 150-pound force
- Pets can be kept outside
- Installation guide may not be detailed
The 40-inch high baby gate is durable and practical, keeping your active child safe from the stairs. This steel safety gate stands taller to provide additional protection and is adjustable to fit stair openings ranging from 24 inches to 40.5 inches. The extra-tall gate swings open with a basic revolving latch, making it easy to walk through.
- Includes safety-lock feature
- Easy to install
- Clear instructions guide
- Includes installation hardware
- May open only in one direction
3. Best Pressure-Mounted: Safety 1st Magnetic Latch Gate
The auto-close magnetic safety latch gate can fit almost all doorways, as it offers an opening range of 29 to 38 inches. This expert-approved magnetic gate requires no tools for pressure-mounted installation and can be operated with one hand for hassle-free use. Its SecureTech indicator can help you know whether the gate is locked properly. The pressure-mounted gate is 28in high and restricts your child in a safe space.
- Swings open both ways
- Might make a loud clicking sound
- Might seem difficult to unlock
Evenflo’s Secure Step gate has a normal width suitable for doorways, corridors, stairs, kitchens, and bedrooms. The one-hand, easy-glide handle is simple and comfortable to use regularly. To accommodate various apertures, this baby gate stretches from 29 inches to 42 inches wide and 30 inches tall. It requires very minimal hardware for installation. You can check out this video of a reviewer if you need to know more about the product from a tester’s experience.
- Easy walk-through
- Swings open both ways
- No floor bar design
- Easy to install
- Latches may not be strong
The baby gate comes with high-level safety, making it a trusted choice to keep your little one protected. It is designed for use at the top of a stairwell but is suitable for any environment. Its innovative latch system is tough for small hands to open. The gate is made of aluminum, which is lighter than steel. The width of this wall-mounted gate can be adjusted from 27 to 42 inches, and the installed height is 29 inches and the bar spacing is two inches.
- Available in various colors
- Can be wall mounted
- Opens in both directions
- Powder-coated finish
- May be lightweight
Summer Infant’s Top of Stairs baby gate helps make the home childproof stylishly. This metal gate has a secured lock and a white metal finish. The exact width can be obtained by using the slide and lock capability. It has a comfortable grip handle and is convenient to close with one hand. The gate is 30 inches tall, 42 inches wide and is suitable for pets and children.
- Suits all kinds of home decor
- Easy to use
- Easy to install
- May require a power drill
Toddleroo by North States’ baby gate is made from durable stainless and has a warm white finish that matches any home décor. It allows one-handed operation and a safety latch, making it a safe and effective alternative. There is no threshold to step over with this gate, and it will not swing out over stairwells. It is 28.68 to 47.85 inches wide and 36 inches high, making it suitable for various room openings or at the top of the stairs.
- Innovative design
- No sharp edges
- Hardware included
- Hard to climb over
- May not suit tall children
8. Best With Wall Protectors: Babelio Extra Wide Metal Baby Gate
The Babelio baby gate is a must-have for parents looking for a versatile and trusted baby gate to keep the little one safe and secure in a room. This gate can be customized to fit any space as it comes with additional extenders, allowing you to adjust the width to fit your specific needs. It is made from high-quality, long-lasting materials, and the secure locking mechanism keeps the child safe inside while allowing you to open and close the gate easily when needed.
- Quick and easy install
- Easy to remove for storage
- One-hand operation
- Features wall protectors and anti-collision grooves
- Plastic screws may bend with use
- May wobble at times
Summer Infant’s safety gate is developed exclusively for stairs and banisters. Its one-of-a-kind mounting method secures the baby gate for stairs with a banister and removes the need to drill into it. The extra-wide door opens to the entire width of the stairwell. It will quickly become dad-and-mom-approved as it includes a support foot for enhanced stability and a directed doorstop for added safety above the stairwell. The gate measures 32 inches tall and 46 inches wide.
- No-threshold design
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to use
- May be a bit difficult to close
10. Best Sturdy: Perma Child Safety Indoor/Outdoor Retractable Baby Gate
The Perma child safety retractable baby gate is designed to fit openings up to 55 inches wide and can be extended up to 71 inches with additional extensions. Its versatile design allows indoor and outdoor use, making it suitable for patios, decks, and doorways. The gate even features a smooth and easy-to-operate retractable system, making it hassle-free to open and close.
- Weather-resistant materials
- Easy storage when not in use
- Childproof lock
- Durable and sturdy construction
- May have difficulty with the installation
- May not a pet-proof gate
The gate has a sleek, modern design with safety features. Its indexed sizing system can adjust for a vertical fit, and the integrated tuning system enables easy width modifications with pre-set index positions. The integrated handle’s double-locking system is difficult for children to open. With a simple push, the two-way opening gate locks shut, and the extra-wide walk-through provides easy in and out.
- One-year warranty
- Easy installation
- Includes accessory kit
- Latches may be hard to use
How To Choose The Right Baby Gates For Stairs?
Here are a few tips for choosing the right baby gate.
- Right Measurements: Measure the entrance’s width where the baby gate will be installed. For stairwells, take measurements of the top and bottom. Measure the distance between the walls and the skirting boards for doors.
- Opening and closing: There are multiple ways to open and close the gate to suit your needs. Gates that swing open in both directions and those you can open with one hand are two examples of opening choices. Automatically shutting gates and manually closing gates are two different closure possibilities.
- Material: Choose gates made of steel and aluminum for sturdiness and durability.
- Finish: Consider the gate’s finish to suit the aesthetic of the background where you will set up the gate.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is an expert writer on baby and pregnancy products. Being a mother herself, she is well aware of the baby’s safety concerns. So she has scoured through different websites to bring you the best baby gates for stairs. These are sturdy and can be easily installed in any part of the house. Also, these products ensure your little one’s safety while they enjoy their playtime.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of baby gate is best for stairs?
Hardware-mounted gates are better for stairs than pressure-mounted baby gates. When the former gates are installed correctly, they minimize the risk of toppling over.
2. Should I put a baby gate at the top or bottom of the stairs?
If your child is learning to walk or crawl, it is best to install baby gates on both top and bottom of the staircase (1). However, you should install a hardware-mounted style gate at the top while pressure-mounted at the bottom of the stairs.
3. What can I use instead of a baby gate?
There are no better alternatives to safety baby gates. Safety gates are crafted specially to restrict your baby from using the staircase.
4. What is the right age to use the stair gates?
Use the stair gates until your baby reaches two years or learn how to access the latch or climb on it (2).
5. What is the difference between a pet and a baby gate?
Pet and baby gates are made using the same material but with different strengths. Baby gates are much lighter when compared to pet gates.
6. Do I really need baby gates?
Baby gates help restrict your baby’s movement on stairs and hazardous places, especially when they are new to crawling and walking. However, avoid gates that trap your baby’s arms or neck (1).
When there is a baby at home, it is crucial to create a safe space for the child to play. Babyproofing using the best baby gates is one of the most sought-after ways. These gates come in handy when the little one learns to walk, especially when they try to access risky spaces at home, like the stairs. When buying one, consider a gate that is easy to install, like the Babelio Extra Wide Metal Baby Gate, and durably built, like the Cumbor Safety Baby Gate, to prevent bending in the long run. Furthermore, a gate with an excellent finish like the Summer Infant Top of Stairs Simple To Secure Metal Gate will help enhance the overall aesthetics of the space you install the gate in.
Infographic: How To Babyproof The Stairs To Ensure The Safety Of Your Child?
Purchasing the right baby gate is only half the job done. Installing it the appropriate way and taking precautions at the other parts of the stairs is equally essential to keep your little one safe. So, check out the following infographic to take your babyproofing attempts to the next level.
- Home Safety: Tips for Families With Young Children
- New Study Finds Number of Children Treated in U.S. Emergency Departments for Baby Gate-Related Injuries Nearly Quadrupled Since 1990
- Choosing Safe Baby Products: Gates.