- 21 Best baby laundry detergents
- How to pick the right baby detergent?
- What type of detergent is the best for babies?
Babies can’t keep themselves clean and tend to mess up their clothes more often than not. If you have a baby at home, you are probably going to do more laundry than other mothers. You also have to take extra care when picking up a detergent to wash the baby’s clothes, since babies have delicate skin.
If you’re unsure of what detergent to choose for baby clothes, read this MomJunction post. We have listed down 21 best baby laundry detergents that can also be used for washing the baby’s cloth diapers.
21 Best Baby Laundry Detergent
1. Dreft Stage 1: Newborn Baby Laundry Detergent
- Works best for a newborn’s laundry, although you can use it to wash the clothes of older babies as well.
- Specially formulated to wash baby laundry. Hypoallergenic, biodegradable ingredients.
- Dye-free. Has a mild, detergent fragrance.
- Trusted by pediatricians. Leading baby laundry detergent recommended by US Pediatricians as per a survey conducted by Dreft in 2016.
2. Babyganics 3X Baby Laundry Detergent
Fragrance-free. Does not contain sulfate and 1,4-dioxane.
Fights tough stains with naturally derived, plant-based ingredients. Non-allergenic formula.
Cleans the clothes gently and leaves them soft.
3. Tide Purclean Plant-Based Laundry Detergent
- Plant-based detergent with biodegradable ingredients. About 65% of ingredients are derived from plants.
- Free of dyes, phosphates, chlorine, and brighteners. Has a mild lavender fragrance.
- Certified by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).
4. Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder
- Fragrance-free, hypoallergenic detergent powder that works well for babies with sensitive skin.
- Non-toxic and made with biodegradable materials. Leaves no residue behind.
- Excellent to wash poop stains thus making it the ideal detergent for infant’s cloth diapers.
- Contains no fillers, perfume, and chlorine.
5. Purex For Baby Liquid Laundry Detergent
- A hypoallergenic and dye-free baby detergent.
- Dermatologist-tested to ensure the safety of baby’s delicate skin.
- Leaves a mild, fresh scent on the clothes.
6. Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Mild liquid detergent made with plant-based ingredients.
- Does not contain sulfates, chlorine, petrochemicals, and dyes. Suitable for sensitive skin.
- No-drip pump system to pour the liquid detergent. It helps prevent spills.
- Non-toxic, biodegradable, cruelty-free, and vegan. Suitable for cloth baby diapers.
7. Shabby Chick Baby Laundry Liquid Soap
- Hypoallergenic and suitable for babies with sensitive skin.
- Non-toxic and made with biodegradable materials.
- Most ingredients are derived from natural substances. Contains natural fragrances derived from essential oils.
- One tablespoon of detergent is all it takes to wash one full-load of baby laundry.
8. Planet 2X Ultra Laundry Detergent
- Biodegradable, hypoallergenic, and animal cruelty-free.
- Unscented, uncolored, and phosphate-free.
- Contains several naturally derived, plant-based ingredients.
- Safe to wash all baby laundry.
9. ECOS Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Hypoallergenic, natural ingredients.
- Built-in fabric softener. No dyes, parabens, phthalates, and phosphates.
- Cruelty-free; no animal testing.
- pH-balanced and Dermatologist-tested.
- U.S. EPA Safer Choice certified for safety.
10. Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent
- About 96% of detergent is made of plant-based ingredients. Safe for sensitive skin.
- EPA Safer Choice Certified and USDA certified bio-based product.
- Cruelty-free detergent; No animal testing or ingredients.
- Fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, does not contains dyes and brighteners.
11. Greenshield Organic Liquid Laundry Detergent
- The majority of the ingredients are naturally derived from organic plant material.
- Non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Free of phosphate and petrochemicals.
- Cruelty-free and no animal testing.
- USDA certified organic product.
12. Grab Green Laundry Detergent Pods
- Fragrance-free detergent pods made from plant and mineral-based raw materials.
- Hypoallergenic baby detergent. Cruelty-free with no animal testing.
- Non-toxic. Free from phthalates, phosphates, chlorine, and dyes.
- Made in the USA
13. All Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Developed especially for those with sensitive skin. Hypoallergenic formula.
- Clear liquid detergent free of perfumes/fragrance and dyes.
- Helps remove potential allergens like pollen, animal dander, and mites from clothes.
- Accepted by National Eczema Association, thus making it ideal for babies with eczema.
14. Biokleen Laundry Detergent Liquid
- Most ingredients are naturally derived from plants.
- Does not contain ammonia, phosphates, petrochemicals, and brighteners.
- Mild smell. Detergent leaves no residue after washing and rinsing.
- No artificial fragrance or dyes.
15. Eco-Me Natural Concentrated Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Made with food-grade, plant-based natural materials. Works well for clothes of infants with sensitive skin.
- No animal testing; cruelty-free product.
- Free from chlorine, phosphates, sulfates, formaldehyde, parabens, and dyes.
- Natural fragrances from essential oils, which also have antibacterial properties.
16. Zum Clean Laundry Soap
- Contains natural fragrances derived from essential oils.
- Does not contain phosphates, sulfates, petrochemicals, and parabens.
- Handmade liquid soap that works well with high-efficiency washing machines.
17. Method Concentrated Laundry Detergent
- Packed in 100% recycled plastic bottle.
- Manufactured using plant-based, biodegradable ingredients.
- Does not contain chlorine, formaldehyde, phosphates, parabens, and phthalates.
- No animal testing; cruelty-free.
- A hypoallergenic formula that is tough on stains but gentle on skin.
18. Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Does not contain any perfumes. Clear liquid detergent with no dyes.
- Hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin.
- Removes tough stains yet stays gentle on baby’s skin.
19. Mrs. Meyer’s Laundry Detergent
- About 97% of ingredients are naturally derived.
- Most raw materials sourced from plants. Natural fragrances from essential oils.
- Free of chlorine, phthalates, formaldehyde, dyes, parabens, and brighteners.
20. Grab Green Natural 3-in-1 Laundry Detergent Powder
- Detergent comes in an easy-to-close pouch.
- Ingredients are plant and mineral-based. Naturally sourced, non-toxic ingredients.
- Fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and free of dyes. No animal testing.
- No phosphates, phthalates, parabens, and chlorine.
21. Molly’s Suds Original Laundry Powder
- Does not contain chemicals such as formaldehyde, petrochemicals, 1,4 dioxane, phosphates, and brighteners.
- Made with all-natural ingredients. Contains only natural fragrances but no dyes; no added fragrances.
- No animal testing. Certified vegan and cruelty-free.
How To Choose The Right Baby Detergent?
Laundry detergents branded as baby detergents have no risk of causing skin irritation and also leave a little residue on the clothes. However, several detergents may not be branded as baby detergents, but are still mild, leave lesser residues, and do not have any potential allergens and chemicals. These can be used for washing baby clothes.
When looking for a detergent to wash your baby’s clothes, look for the following attributes:
- Hypoallergenic: Such detergents are extra safe for infants with sensitive skin or conditions like eczema. Detergents with this quality usually have ‘hypoallergenic’ labeled on them.
- Fragrance-free or mild fragrance only: It is best to stick to a baby detergent that leaves no fragrance on the clothes or has a very mild fragrance. Intense fragrances may irritate the baby.
- Free of harmful chemicals and additives: Choose ‘chemical-free’ or ‘organic’ detergents with naturally-derived ingredients and free of additives like bleach, brighteners, and other stain-removing additives.
Most laundry detergents meant for infants already comply with the above conditions. There are different forms of baby laundry detergents though.
What Type Of Detergent Is The Best For Babies?
There are three types of laundry detergents:
- Liquid detergent, or detergent in liquid form. It comes in a bottle with a measuring cup. Transfer the liquid into the measuring cup and pour directly into the washing machine or washing bucket. Liquid laundry detergents can be ideal for pre-treating specific stains on clothes instead of soaking the entire fabric in soapy water.
- Powder detergent is the conventional laundry detergent in its powder form. Most powder detergents come with a measuring spoon to scoop out the right quantity. Powder detergents tend to be more economical than other types of laundry detergent.
- Detergent pods are small, water-soluble plastic pouches with a high concentration of detergent either in liquid or powder format. You toss the pack into the washing machine and you are all set. There are only few baby detergent options in this format.
Several detergents not labeled as baby detergents may still work well for the baby’s laundry. Keeping that in mind,
These are some of the best detergents to use when washing your baby’s laundry. You can buy them via the links and also explore other options before choosing one that best suits your needs. No matter what you choose, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and also check the label of your child’s clothes for any special washing instructions.
Which detergent do you use to wash your little one’s clothes? Do let us know in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
- Pigeon Baby Products For Little Ones
- Baby Hair Oils That Work Wonders
- Aveeno Products For Your Baby
- Best Baby Product Brands