Babies need to be kept busy. ! Entertaining the baby with a musical toy is an effective way to keep the little bundle of energy distracted, so that you can go about with your routine.
There is no dearth of baby’s musical toys, and it can make choosing the best one a bit difficult. But not to worry since we help make the selection simpler. In this MomJunction post, we present the best musical baby toys that you could consider for your little one.
13 Best Musical Baby Toys
This Baby Einstein musical radio plays seven different melodies. The tiny radio sparkles with different lights. It comes with a caterpillar-shaped handle that helps to strengthen grasp and teething. It is suitable for babies aged up to three years.
- Plays full melodies
- Small and easy to hold for toddlers
- Durable enough to withstand harsh handling
- Highly entertaining for kids. Keeps them occupied for long
- Lights can be too dim to notice when playing under bright lights or outdoor
- Paint tends to fade over time
Seeing babies learn to sit and stand is special for every parent. This process can be made more fun with this musical walker. It features five piano keys for kids to create their own music. Other features include spinning rollers, shape sorters, and light-up buttons to help develop motor skills. It is easily adjustable from a sitting toy to a walker and is suitable for children aged nine months to three years.
- Activity panel can conveniently be detached from the walker to become a floor-play toy
- Wheels move smoothly on carpeted and hard floors
- The rattling sound emitted from the wheels of the walker keeps the baby entertained
- Walker comes with speed control
- The grip on the wheels may come across a bit lacking
- Young babies may find some features of the activity panel complex
There are times when you need to keep the little one entertained on the go. This musical stroller toy helps serve this purpose by attaching to the stroller. The musical toy comes with seven baby-activated mini-toys that help improve motor skills. The musical tunes could enable cause and effect learning.
- Promotes hand-eye coordination
- Arch is easily adjustable to suit baby’s age and preference
- Universal clip easily fits any stroller or bassinet
- Teether is easy to grasp by little kids
- Clip may not be very durable
This toy looks like a game controller, but it is a lot more than that. It helps acquaint your child to alphabet, numbers, shapes, and colors. It has two musical settings – one for learning and one for only playing. It is suitable for babies aged six months to three years.
- Highly durable
- The face of the toy lights up in different colors
- Different control buttons help improve motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- It may work as an easy way to keep the child away from an actual game controller
- The size may be a bit too big for small kids
- Volume control is limited
This dancing duck plays seven melodies, flashes colorful lights, and makes sounds of the heartbeat. The tiny baby duck within the pouch of the big duck also sings songs. The duck dances when you press the button on its head. It is suitable for kids aged three months and above.
- The duck’s movement could encourage a baby to crawl after it
- Colorful buttons help improve finger dexterity
- Songs help develop listening skills
- The toy is made from durable, child-safe ABS plastic
- The battery is not included with the toy
- The small buttons may break due to rough handling and become choking hazards
This musical table comes with more than 70 songs to keep your child engaged for hours. Songs include classics such as ‘Old MacDonald’ and ‘Itsy Bitsy Spider’ that help introduce the baby to nursery rhymes. This musical toy is suitable for kids aged six months to three years.
- Helps kids learn shapes, letters, numbers, and colors
- Removable legs enable to use to panel for floor play
- Easy to switch between two modes, namely music and learning
- It comes in English and Spanish language mode
- The table may not stay firmly on the floor since the feet lack rubber grips
This musical cube has something fun and interesting on each side. Each side helps to promote different skills such as talking, singing, and so on. Your baby can also make some music of their own as it comes with a built-in microphone to encourage talking. It is suitable for kids aged 18 months and older.
- Sturdy and portable
- Lights and music help improve hand-eye coordination
- The variety of activities could promote creative thinking, problem-solving, and fine motor skills
- Keeps the child engaged with a variety of sounds and activities
- Tiny parts may break and pose as choking hazards
- The lack of volume control can make the music sound a bit jarring
An interesting toy designed to keep your baby occupied. It offers three language options, namely English, French, and Spanish. The toy can help acquaint baby to colors and animals. It comes with a collapsible kickstand so your child can play when sitting and while learning to crawl. It is suitable for toddlers aged three months and above.
- Helps develop listening skills
- Boosts pattern and sequence recognition
- It can help make tummy time a lot more fun
- It comes in three music and sound modes – animals, colors, and xylophone
- Activates on touching the colored bands or the rattle drum
- The kickstand is not sturdy and tends to drop too often
- The sound volume may come across as low
It is a cute little seahorse to help lull your baby to sleep. The tummy of the seahorse glows, and a gentle squeeze activates the light along with the music. It can play up to five minutes of music with eight lullabies and several minutes of ocean sounds. The music fades after five minutes, and the lights dim so that the baby can sleep comfortably.
- Soft and squishy texture makes it ideal for cuddling
- Comes with volume control
- Warm yellow light helps induce sleep
- The music played can help baby fall asleep
- Available in blue and pink colors
- Light may be too bright for some babies
- Music always plays with the light, and there is no way to turn off light or music separately
Wish to have your child develop an early interest in reading? Then you might want to take a look at this interactive musical rhymes book. It comes with six classic nursery rhymes such as ‘Old Macdonald’ and ‘Little Boy Blue.’ It is suitable for babies aged six months to three years.
- The toy is durable and BPA-free
- The plastic pages are hinged, which makes them easy for a baby to turn
- Five side buttons play music when pressed
- It could help strengthen motor skills
- It may promote sensory and language development
- Songs do not have a definite order and keep repeating
- The rhymes may come across sung too fast for a baby to understand
Teething can be a very difficult time for your baby. But this natural process of growing can be made pleasant with some safe and fun musical teething toys. These toys vary in shape, size, and sound, which may even help in visual development and hand-eye coordination. This musical toy set is suitable for kids aged six months and above.
- Safe for kids as the product is tested at labs approved by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- Free from BPA, latex, and phthalate
- The difference in rattlers handles and shapes could promote fine motor skills
- The variety in sounds expands baby’s sensory experience
- Easy to clean and store
- Toys give out a strong chemical smell when first opened from the box
- Tiny parts of toys may pose as a choking hazard if broken due to rough usage
This soft and furry caterpillar makes sounds when you squeeze its head. The colorful body and music easily attract a baby’s attention. You can even use this toy to measure your baby’s height. This toy is suitable for both infants and toddlers.
- Ruler marked on the belly of the caterpillar helps track baby’s height
- Easy to wash clean with a damp cloth
- Soothing music helps the baby fall asleep
- Each section of the caterpillar is made from a different textured fabric
- The tail section of the caterpillar contains a rattle bell within
- Tiny details stitched to the toy may tear and become choking hazards
- Plays only one song
It made from super soft plush material. This cute donkey plays a piano lullaby that could distract the infant and help them fall asleep. It comes with squeaky feet, paper crinkly ears, teethers, clackers, and baby mirror. This multipurpose toy can also be used with a stroller.
- It can be washed with hand
- The teethers are BPA-free and safe to chew
- Does not require batteries and plays music with a pull-string
- Squeaky feet encourage grasping
- A baby mirror could help the child focus
- The pull-string may tear or break over time
- The quality of the soft material may not seem very high
Musical toys for babies are mostly designed to keep them occupied while also helping them develop various developmental abilities. Every toy promotes a different skill. You have to decide which one suits your baby and also helps them have the most fun.
Has your baby used any musical toy that is worth a mention? Do let us know about it in the comment section below.