Babies can be highly energetic when they’re up from their sleep. They look for things to play with, and their curiosity makes them grab whatever they can get their hands on. Getting the best baby musical toys for your little one ensures they are safely entertained as they engage in fun musical activities.
Babies generally find flashy toys that emit musical sounds quite exciting. They are intrigued by the bright colors and music from the toy, which could entertain them for hours on end.
In this post, we bring you a list of some time-tested musical toys your munchkin can groove to.
How Can Musical Toys Help Babies?
Music can make your little one smarter and happier. Whether your baby is listening to or playing music, their brain releases happy hormones that cause healthy changes in the brain. When your young one is exposed to music, it helps improve their mood, boosts concentration, and enhances productivity. It also helps improve memory and cognitive skills(1).
Musical toys help stimulate a baby’s senses. Playing with them helps strengthen arm muscles and focus on coordination, enhancing gross motor skills. Musical toys like trumpets and whistles require control over the tongue and mouth. Such toys help the child speak and eat. Holding rattles or beaters of xylophones and drums to make sound promotes grip and hand-eye coordination, developing fine motor skills.
When Can A Baby Start Playing With Musical Toys?
During the first few months, your baby tries to soak up the information around them. Slowly, they start observing things and try to move their hands and legs. It is when they try to start playing with rattle toys. The smooth rattle sound can improve hand-eye coordination when they shake it. They also try to play with other musical toys like the drums or xylophone. When your baby can sit and play, their focus moves to other musical toys like rhyme books, musical activity toys, and more.
13 Best Musical Baby Toys
1. Best For Grasp-Strengthening: Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy
This Baby Einstein musical radio plays seven different melodies. The tiny radio sparkles with different lights, ensuring endless fun. It comes with a caterpillar-shaped handle that helps to strengthen grasp and teething. It is suitable for babies aged up to three years. Check out the review of this product on YouTube to know why it is one of the best out there.
- Plays full melodies
- Small and easy to hold for toddlers
- Durable enough to withstand harsh handling
- Highly entertaining for kids. Keeps them occupied for long
- Lights can be too dim to notice when playing under bright lights or outdoor
- Paint tends to fade over time
2. Best For Developing Motor Skills: VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
Seeing babies learn to sit and stand is special for every parent. This process can be made more fun with this musical walker. It features five piano keys for kids to create their own music. Other features include spinning rollers, amazing sound effects, shape sorters, and light-up buttons to enhance physical development. As per tester experiences, it is easily adjustable from a sitting toy to a walker and is suitable for children aged nine months to three years. In this YouTube video, you will find a detailed review of this motor skill toy for toddlers.
- Activity panel can conveniently be detached from the walker to become a floor-play toy
- Wheels move smoothly on carpeted and hard floors
- The rattling sound emitted from the wheels of the walker keeps the baby entertained
- Walker comes with speed control
- The grip on the wheels may come across a bit lacking
- Young babies may find some features of the activity panel complex
"My little munchkin loves this walker. It's simple to assemble, and my baby is drawn to its lights and colors. It has helped him take his little first steps. That said, I would have preferred rubber wheels over the plastic ones. I would still recommend this toy as it encourages little ones to walk."
3. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: Tiny Love Musical Nature Stroll Stroller Toy
There are times when you need to keep the little one entertained on the go. This entertaining musical stroller toy helps serve this purpose by attaching to the stroller. It comes with seven baby-activated mini-toys that help enhance motor development. The musical tunes could help them develop a sense of rhythm and enable cause-and-effect learning.
- Promotes hand-eye coordination and cognitive development
- Arch is easily adjustable to suit baby’s age and preference
- Universal clip easily fits any stroller or bassinet
- Teether is easy to grasp by little kids
- Clip may not be very durable
4. Best For Learning: Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Game & Learn Controller
This toy looks like a game controller, but it is a lot more than that. Tested by many reviewers, it helps acquaint your child with the alphabet, numbers, shapes, and colors. It has two musical settings – one for learning and one for only playing. This push-button toy is suitable for babies aged six months to three years.
- Highly durable
- The face of the toy lights up in different colors
- Different control buttons help improve motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- It may work as an easy way to keep the child away from an actual game controller
- The size may be a bit too big for small kids
- Volume control is limited
5. Best For Improving Finger Dexterity: JOYIN Dancing Walking Yellow Duck Baby Toy
This dancing duck plays seven melodies, flashes colorful lights, and makes sounds of the heartbeat. The tiny baby duck within the pouch of the big duck also sings songs. The duck dances when you press the button on its head. It is suitable for kids aged three months and above.
- The duck’s movement could encourage a baby to crawl after it
- Colorful buttons help improve finger dexterity
- Songs help develop listening skills
- The toy is made from durable, child-safe ABS plastic
- The battery is not included with the toy
- The small buttons may break due to rough handling and become choking hazards
6. Best For Learning Nursery Rhymes: LeapFrog Learn and Groove Musical Table
This musical table comes with more than 70 songs to keep your child engaged for hours. Songs include classics such as ‘Old MacDonald’ and ‘Itsy Bitsy Spider’ that help introduce the baby to nursery rhymes. This musical toy is suitable for kids aged six months to three years.
- Helps kids learn shapes, letters, numbers, and colors
- Removable legs enable to use to panel for floor play
- Easy to switch between two modes, namely music and learning
- It comes in English and Spanish language mode
- The table may not stay firmly on the floor since the feet lack rubber grips
7. Best Toy With Built-In Microphone: WolVolk Educational Kids Toddler Baby Toy Musical Activity Cube Play Center
This musical cube has something fun and interesting on each side. Each side helps to promote different skills such as talking, singing, and so on. Your baby can also make some music of their own, as this fun activity cube comes with a built-in microphone to encourage talking. It is the ideal birthday gift for kids aged 18 months and older.
- Sturdy and portable
- Lights and music help improve hand-eye coordination
- The variety of activities could promote creative thinking, problem-solving, and fine motor skills
- Keeps the child engaged with a variety of musical sounds and activities
- Tiny parts may break and pose as choking hazards
- The lack of volume control can make the music sound a bit jarring
8. Best For Tummy Time: Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar Activity Station
The time-tested musical activity center for babies is designed to keep your little one occupied. It offers three language options, namely English, French, and Spanish. The toy can help acquaint the baby to colors and animals. It comes with a collapsible kickstand so your child can play when sitting and while learning to crawl. It is suitable for toddlers aged three months and above.
- Helps develop listening skills
- Boosts pattern and sequence recognition
- Ideal musical toy for tummy time
- It comes in three music and sound modes – animals, colors, and xylophone
- Activates on touching the colored bands or the rattle drum
- The kickstand is not sturdy and tends to drop too often
- The sound volume may come across as low
9. Best For Bedtime: Fisher-Price Soothe & Glow Seahorse
It is a cute little seahorse to help lull your baby to sleep. The tummy of the seahorse glows, and a gentle squeeze activates the light along with the music. It can play up to five minutes of music with eight lullabies and several minutes of ocean sounds. The music fades after five minutes, and the lights dim so that the baby can sleep comfortably.
- Soft and squishy texture makes it ideal for cuddling
- Comes with volume control
- Warm yellow light helps induce sleep
- The music played can help baby fall asleep
- Available in blue and pink colors
- Light may be too bright for some babies
- Music always plays with the light, and there is no way to turn off light or music separately
10. Best For Language Development: VTech Musical Rhymes Book
Wish to have your child develop an early interest in reading? Then you might want to take a look at this parent-recommended rhymes book. As an interactive musical toy, it comes with six classic nursery rhymes such as ‘Old Macdonald’ and ‘Little Boy Blue.’ It can be an excellent musical toy for sensory development also, suitable for babies aged six months to three years.
- The toy is durable and BPA-free
- The plastic pages are hinged, which makes them easy for a baby to turn
- Five side buttons play music when pressed
- It could help strengthen motor skills
- It may promote sensory and language development
- Songs do not have a definite order and keep repeating
- The rhymes may come across sung too fast for a baby to understand
"This vibrant, red musical book fits well into tiny hands. It has thick durable plastic pages that can withstand my daughter's pulling and hammering and plays soothing music that attracts her."
11. Best For Teething: iPlay, iLearn 10pcs Musical Toy Set
Teething can be a very difficult time for your baby. But this natural process of growing can be made pleasant with some safe and fun musical teething toys. These trusted toys vary in shape, size, and sound, which may even help in visual development and hand-eye coordination. This is a great musical toy set for babies aged six months and above.
- Safe for kids as the product is tested at labs approved by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- Free from BPA, latex, and phthalate
- The difference in rattlers handles and shapes could promote fine motor skills
- The variety in sounds expands baby’s sensory experience
- Easy to clean and store
- Toys give out a strong chemical smell when first opened from the box
- Tiny parts of toys may pose as a choking hazard if broken due to rough usage
12. Best For Classical Music: Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube Music Toy
The Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube Music Toy is suitable for young and budding musical geniuses. It includes eight Mozart pieces and multiple instruments for toddlers, including the harp, flute, French horn, piano, and violin. Multiple instrumental options let your little one explore various tunes and fun sounds and leave room to create their own music. This fun musical toy also has an orchestra button that plays all the instruments at once.
- Includes flashing lights
- Rounded, soft edges
- Easy to use
- Includes volume control
- Button colors may fade over time
- Sound quality may not be as clear as expected
13. Best Pull Toy: Lil’ Llama Baby Musical Pull Toy
If you are looking for a cuddly and musical toy for your newborn baby, then the Lil’ Llama Baby Musical Pull Toy can be a fun choice. This musical plush toy for babies is shaped like an elephant and comes with a pull-down feature that plays lullaby music whenever it’s tugged. You can use it as a musical crib toy and hang it on your baby’s crib or playpen. The extra soft material will encourage your baby to interact with the toy and keep pulling it to activate the music. Since it’s made from high-quality fabric, it’s safe for infants and toddlers.
- Music plays for 60 seconds
- Color won’t fade
- Easy to clean
- May catch dirt quickly
- May not have variety in music
"I love the sweet sounds and the solid pull feature of this cute musical toy. My kind, discerning granddaughter adores it, and I'm eager to gift it to my other grandchildren. Although the fur is a bit fragile, its charm and sound outweigh these minor downsides."
How To Choose the Right Baby Musical Toy?
Consider the key factors before choosing the right musical toy.
- Age-appropriate: Look for the appropriate musical toy for your little one’s age. Your infant may be unable to press the keys on a baby piano toy at three months. So, start with rattles and move to different toys, such as guitars, as they grow.
- Sound: Choose musical toys that produce soothing sounds. If the toy is battery-operated, ensure it comes with a volume-control button to adjust the sound.
- Durability: Babies can be tough with toys because they are unaware that the toys can break. So, consider musical toys made of heavy-duty materials that are durable and long-lasting. Avoid toys with loose pieces as they can cause a choking hazard.
- Skill development: Toys help improve your baby’s skills, including hand-eye coordination, sensory and auditory skills, language skills, imagination, and concentration. So, choose the musical toy that stimulates skills in your little one from a young age.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What to get a one-year-old who loves music?
A one-year-old baby can play with toys and walk by holding onto things (1). You can get a one-year-old a musical walker with rhymes and other learning materials to combine fun and learning.
2. What is an appropriate musical item for an infant?
Infants play while sitting or sleeping in the same place and don’t move too much, so you can get them a toy they can hold or look at. You can also get infants teething toys once they start experiencing teething around the six-month mark.
3. Are light-up musical toys bad for babies?
Music may be soothing for babies even when they are developing (2). However, toys cannot substitute human interaction, and toys with very loud music or bright lights can hurt a baby’s sensitive eyes and ears.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Choosing suitable toys for children can be challenging. Priti Bose, specializing in children’s toys, games, and gifts, can help you choose the right product. She scours through various trusted sources to find high-quality products to ensure your child’s safety. This list of the best baby musical toys includes entertaining, child-friendly options that can help your child improve cognitively. Priti has also considered user reviews and testers’ experiences to offer you an unbiased opinion.
If you are looking for fun toys for your child, our list of the best baby musical toys can help you out. These toys help engage their auditory senses and keep them engaged for hours. When choosing the right toy, ensure it has multiple melodies and brilliant colors to provide visual and auditory stimulation. Also, the toys your child plays with must be non-toxic and have multiple safety features. We hope our list of best-selling baby musical toys can help you analyze the various designs and features to suit your child’s needs.
Infographic: What Are The Various Kinds Of Musical Toys For Babies?
Allowing your baby to indulge in musical toys keeps them entertained and cheerful and helps induce sensory stimulation, allowing them to express themselves as they react to the music. Check out the infographic below to discover the various types of musical toys to help you select the best one that suits your needs.
- Important Milestones: Your Child By One Year
- How music affects your baby’s brain
- Back to Sleep, Tummy to Play