Clipping your baby’s nails is essential to keep your baby clean and healthy. The best baby nail clippers ensure that clipping the nails does not become a challenging task. They are specifically designed to keep a check on excess baby nail growth.
Gopa Bezboruah, a parenting and travel blogger, says, “Little ones can lay their hands on anything, and as parents, it is crucial to keep their hands and nails clean. While you may find several quality clippers in the market, consider clippers made specifically for babies and toddlers.”
Check out this list of the best baby nail clippers that you can consider adding to your baby grooming and care kit. The options on this list are easy to use, safe, and effective.
11 Best Baby Nail Clippers To Keep Your Baby’s Nails Clean In 2024
1. Best For Safety: Simba Baby Safety Nail Scissors
Crafted with highly durable stainless steel, these scissors have various safety features and are extremely easy for parents to use every day on newborns without incident. They’re ergonomic enough to finish trimming your little one’s nails in minutes without experiencing discomfort.
- Has the tiniest blades on a nail clipping scissors
- Rounded tip of the blades prevents accidental piercing of the skin
- Handles are large enough to fit between fingers of the parent
- Comes with a plastic safety cover to slide over the blades when it is not in use
- Plastic cap might not stay put
- Might be slightly difficult to maneuver
2. Best For Precision: Beaba – Nail Clippers For Babies And Children
The Beaba nail clippers safely deliver precision cuts, thanks to its rounded blade tips that avoid the risk of injuries. These baby clippers have a uniquely designed handle that allows your fingers to rest as you focus on cutting your little one’s nails easily. You can cover the top half with the protective cap when the clippers are not in use, keeping them clean and safe until the next use.
- 100% stainless steel
- Suitable for infants and toddlers
- May accidentally draw skin into the clipper
3. Best Electric Clipper: Little Martin’s Drawer Electric Nail Clippers Kit
Here’s a versatile electric nail filer ideal for the entire family. This baby manicure kit comes with six tools, of which three cushioned sandpaper pads are meant for filing a baby’s nails. Check out this video to help you know more about the reviewer’s experience with this electric nail file.
- Pads file the nails gently with no risk of damaging the skin
- Motor has two speed options and is powered by two AA-size batteries
- Comes with light at the base of the filer
- It has a quiet motor that works smoothly
- Built-in light might not be too bright
- Might not be as durable
Simba Baby Safety Nail Scissors
Best For Safety
Beaba - Nail Clippers for Babies and Children
Best For Precision
Little Martin’s Drawer Electric Nail Clippers Kit
Best Electric Clipper
|6"L x 3.1"W
|7.48 x 3.54 x 1.18 inches
|5 x 1.5 x 1 inches
|2 AA batteries required
4. Best Ergonomic: Rhoost Deluxe Baby Nail Clipper
Maintain baby nail health with this stylish, no-nonsense clipper that comes in an ergonomic bamboo cradle. This pair is easy to use and rests securely in parents’ hands, making it a dad-and-mom-approved choice. The pop of color acts as a distraction for kids, so you can trim their nails fast and incident-free.
- Base of the clipper is made from durable bamboo wood
- Provides significant grip
- Top of the clipper lever is rubberized for thumb to stay in place
- Compact and ergonomic design lets you carry it anywhere
- Comes with a no-slip thumb rest
- Color might not be as vibrant as expected
5. Best S-Shaped: Fridababy NailFrida Snipper Clipper Set
This adorable baby nail kit comes with a safely-designed clipper and a filer. The blades of this nick-free clipper are shaped like scissors so that you can trim nails carefully and gradually, rather than snapping them in one go. The S-shaped filer follows the contours of the baby’s nails and makes filing a breeze.
- Comes with an S-shaped nail filer suitable for the baby’s nails
- Patented safety hole on the head of the clipper lets you see the amount of nail that you will be cutting, ensuring proven performance
- Prevents you from accidentally drawing the skin into the clipper
- Has large handles on the clipper for easy grip
- Edges might be too sharp
6. Best Stainless Steel Blades: The First Years American Red Cross Deluxe Nail Clipper
Trim your little angel’s nails with the utmost confidence with these magnifying nail clippers that reduce eyestrain and help you focus better on the delicate task at hand.
- Comes with a magnifier that folds into the bottom of the clipper
- Glass magnifies the nail by four times (4x magnification)
- Stainless steel blades provide precision cutting
- Large handle gives you a solid grip to cut nails confidently
- Might not be as seamless for cutting toenails
- Difficult to change the batteries
7. Best Convenient: Safety 1st Sleepy Baby Nail Clipper
This set, from a trusted brand, includes a vibrant and effective baby clipper that is combined with an emery board filer. The filing board fits easily into a slot on the clipper, making it easier to trim the baby’s nails while they are asleep. In addition, this illuminating nail clipper features built-in light at the base of the clipper that is useful when cutting tiny nails.
- It has a soft-to-touch, ergonomic handle for comfortable grip
- Cutting edges are curved to fit the baby’s nails conveniently
- Battery for the light is long-lasting
- Blade might dull slightly after consistent use
8. Best Curved-Edged: Safety 1st Clear View Nail Clipper
This innovative and extra-convenient nail clipper is designed with an adjustable magnifying lens that provides 5X more clarity than a traditional pair, making it a trusted choice for moms and dads.
- Magnifying glass opens during clipping and folds away
- Large handles
- Curved cutting edges allow for safe cutting of the baby’s nails
- Offers good grip
- Might be slightly challenging to use
- Clipping may be a little loud
9. Best BPA-Free: Nuby Baby Care Nail Clippers
The Nuby Baby care nail clippers can help you trim your child’s nails hassle-free. These attractive baby clippers are specially designed to cut a newborn’s nails without worrying about any slippage or twists. The dad-and-mom-approved nail clipper comes with a snap-on safety cover for secure storage. Since it’s BPA-free, it’ll prevent harmful toxins from coming into contact with your baby’s skin or nails.
- Easy to grip
- Convenient use
- Handle joints may get flimsy after prolonged use
- Some may find the blades sharper than expected
10. Best Hygienic: Baby Blue Giraffe Baby Nail File
Shaping your tiny angel’s nails has never been safer or easier, thanks to this premium-quality filer. Crafted with genuine Czech glass, it is more effortless, safe, and effective than most nail filers out there.
- Made from high-quality glass, which is safe to use on the delicate nails of an infant
- Files nails effectively without being harsh on the skin
- No risk of damage to the skin.
- Washable and easy to maintain
- Ideal for small fingers
- Might take some getting used to
- Trimming might be a slow process
11. Best With Magnifier: Dreambaby Nail Clipper
The unique nail clippers from Dreambaby are made from top-quality stainless steel, making the blades long-lasting for a precise and safe cut. These clippers can be trusted by moms and dads as they feature a magnifier that lets you look closely at your baby’s fingers and toes and help avoid any injury. Once done, you can easily fold the lens into the handle and store it away. In addition, its ergonomically-designed handle won’t cause any strain on the fingers, making it comfortable to hold.
- Durable design
- Compact and lightweight
- Safe for use
- Comes with a no-slip design
- Some may find the handle thin
- Edges may be sharp
At What Age Is It Safe To Clip The Baby’s Nails?
You can trim the baby’s nails right from the first month of their life. A baby’s nails grow so fast that for the first few weeks you may have to trim them twice a week (1). Using a nail clipper made for infants is the right way to trim them. But most parents wonder what sets a baby nail clipper apart from the ones used by adults.
How Are Baby Nail Clippers Different?
Baby nail clippers have several unique attributes, such as:
- Smaller size: Since infants have tiny fingers, the size of the clippers is also small. The head of the clipper may even be half of that of an adult clipper.
- Large handles and guards: While the clipper’s tip is small, the handles are usually large. It allows a firm grip for the parent who’s clipping the nails. The handles may even be rubberized for better comfort. Baby nail clippers may feature guards at the tip to prevent cutting the nail beyond a point.
- Lights and magnifiers: Some nail clippers have features like a magnifier and a light at the tip of the clipper. These features give you a better view of the baby’s nails.
The colors, shapes, and functions of different baby nail clippers may vary. Find out more about the variants of baby nail clippers next.
What Are The Different Types Of Baby Nail Clippers?
The following are the different types of baby nail clippers:
- Standard nail clipper: It is the usual nail clipper with a lever to operate a cutter at its end.
- Nail scissors: It looks like a pair of regular scissors, but comes with a tip designed to cut the baby’s tiny nails. Several scissors come with a plastic guard that goes over the metal tip when the scissors are not in use.
- Electric nail trimmer: These are electric, battery-operated nail trimmers that file away the nail instead of cutting it. This can be an option when your baby’s nails are too small to be cut with a clipper or if the nail bed is sensitive to cutting.
How To Choose A Nail Clipper For The Baby?
Keep in mind the following factors for picking the right baby-friendly nail clipper for your baby.
- Right size: The clipper size should allow you to clip the nail without the risk of chipping the skin. If the clipper has sharp edges and the entire fingernail or part of the finger seems to be getting into the cutter, then you need to switch to a smaller nail clipper.
- Good grip and additional features: Look for a nail clipper with large, rubberized handles for better grip. Before you buy, hold the clipper and see if you’ll be comfortable using it.
How To Clean The Baby’s Nail Clippers?
The following are some general steps to keep an infant’s nail clippers clean:
- Clean with a brush: Use a standard cleaning brush to remove any debris that may have accumulated around the head of the clipper. You can also use a soft dry cloth to do the same.
- Soak in disinfectant: Soak the nail clipper in a disinfectant that does not react with the metal. You can use denatured ethanol or any other liquid safe for usage. Pour the liquid in a container and submerge the clipper for 15-20 minutes to disinfect it. If the nail clipper has rubber and wooden parts, then it may not go well with liquid. In such cases, soak a cotton ball in the disinfectant liquid and clean the head of the clipper. Use a dry cotton ball to remove any excess liquid.
- Sterilize if possible: You can use a baby bottle/pacifier sterilizer to sterilize metal scissors. Only sterilize an all-metal scissors or clipper since plastic and rubber may melt due to the high heat within a sterilizer.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I cut my baby’s nails?
Take your little one in a ventilated room and make them comfortable. Trim the nails when your baby is calm, sleepy, or sleeping. Take support from other people to hold your baby as you trim their nails.
2. Can I use a regular nail clipper on babies?
Regular nail clippers may harm delicate fingers of your little one as they have sharp blades. Instead of trimming the baby’s nails, you may cut the baby’s skin. Therefore, use an expert-approved or baby care specialist-recommended nail clippers for babies.
3. How are baby nail clippers different from adult nail clippers?
Baby nail clippers are tiny in size, and they come with additional features like magnifiers or light that help in trimming the nails. However, adult nail clippers fall short of these functions.
4. When can I start using regular nail clippers on a baby?
You can start using a regular nail clipper whenever your child grows up and their nails become hard.
5. Do I really need to cut my baby’s nails?
Since the baby’s nails grow quickly, they need to be trimmed when they have grown too long. Moreover, your baby may even scratch themselves if the nails are not cut from time to time.
6. What are some safety tips when clipping my baby’s nails?
Clip the nails in a well-ventilated area. You can also try to cut nails when your baby is asleep or drowsy. Always use a nail clipper from a trusted brand, dedicated specifically to your little one.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Clipping baby’s nails can be a stressful task for new parents. You don’t want to use the normal nail clippers and hurt your baby. In this article, we have listed out the best baby nail clippers available in the market after thorough research and going through multiple customer reviews and tester’s experiences. These products are durable, safe, and suitable for your preferences. We have delivered comprehensive information to help you make the right choice.
A nail clipper is one of the essential items to be added to the grooming kit for your little one, especially for keeping their fingernails clean and checking excess growth. They are smaller than mainstream options and offer a firm grip for better comfort and usage. When choosing one, ensure it is adequately sized and goes well with your baby’s delicate and sensitive skin. Preferring a nail clipper that comes with rounded edges, meets safety standards, and is of a suitable type for you and your child should be your go-to choice. Further, a nail clipper with additional features can help make nail clipping an easy task. Considering all these factors, we recommend the Simba Baby Safety Nail Scissors with rounded blades and ergonomic handles, the Little Martin’s Drawer Electric Nail Clippers Kit for versatility and convenience, and the FridaBaby NailFrida Snipper Clipper Set for easy, nick-free trimming.
Infographic: How To Cut Baby Nails?
Cutting a baby’s nails requires gentle and careful handling to ensure their safety and prevent accidental cuts or injury. Understanding the proper technique and using the right tools can make the process easier and more comfortable for both the baby and the caregiver. Explore the infographic below to learn helpful tips for cutting your baby’s nails safely and effectively.