Massage is a great way to improve blood circulation and promote the baby’s healthy development. The best baby oils for massage oil have many benefits for children. They moisturize the skin, provide warmth and act as a good agent for a smooth massage. However, picking a suitable oil is difficult since the baby’s skin is sensitive to most products.
Here, we have compiled a list of some good baby oils for a massage that you can choose for your little one. Check with your baby’s pediatrician before planning to purchase one.
Our Top Picks
What Are The Benefits Of Oil Massages To Babies?
Massaging enables you and your baby to bond, play, and rest together. It also helps
- Promote physical touch and eye contact.
- Calm your baby.
- Your baby falls asleep peacefully.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Massaging Your Baby
Here are a few tips that you could employ while massaging your baby.
- Starting from below the ribs, massage your baby’s tummy in clockwise circular motions.
- It’s a good idea to massage your baby after a bath. Apply oil or lotion when the baby is undressed and their skin is damp.
- If you do not want the baby to fall asleep, massage them with light oil. If their skin is dry, use massage oils that are gel-based.
11 Best Baby Oils For Massage
1. Best Paraben-Free: Mustela Baby Oil
Mustela baby oil is gentle and absorbs quickly, thus soothing and comforting the baby’s skin. It is made entirely of natural ingredients such as avocado, sunflower, and pomegranate oils. The oil is hypoallergenic and delicately perfumed with Mustela’s signature fragrance. In addition, the massage oil is dermatologist-recommended and free of parabens and phthalates.
2. Best Hypoallergenic: Sebamed Baby Massage Oil
Sebamed’s baby massage oil is made with soya oil and essential botanical oil, which helps keep the baby’s skin moisturized and hydrated. It is also high in vitamin F and Omega-3 fatty acids. This oil does not solidify even in the winters, meaning you can use it throughout the year. Moreover, the massage oil is hypoallergenic and free of formaldehyde, colorants, and mineral oils.
3. Best Artificial Fragrance-Free: Earth Mama Calendula Baby Oil
Earth Mama baby oil contains grape seed oil, calendula oil, and jojoba oil and is suitable for a newborn’s sensitive skin. The oil moisturizes and nourishes dry skin, and you can use this massage oil on the body and the scalp. The oil does not contain harmful ingredients, such as mineral oils, parabens, and petroleum, and is also free of artificial fragrances.
4. Best Organic: Tropical Holistic Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
Tropical Holistic olive oil is entirely organic. The greenish-yellow tint indicates freshness and quality, and it is appropriate for all skin types. The high oleic acid content works deep to rejuvenate the skin and hair, giving the baby’s skin a youthful appearance and increasing natural suppleness.
5. Best Dermatologically-Tested: Johnson’s Baby Oil Gel
Johnson’s concentrated gel contains cocoa butter and shea butter, known for their skin-conditioning and skin-nourishing properties. This baby oil gel seals in up to ten times more moisture than a regular lotion on damp skin. Gently massage the oil gel into moist skin after showering to leave your baby’s skin soft and supple. The gel is hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested.
6. Best Non-Toxic: The Moms Co. Natural Baby Massage Oil
The natural ingredients in the Moms Co. massage oil include wheat germ, jojoba, chamomile, almond, avocado, and sesame oils. All these ingredients aid in moisturizing and soothing skin and strengthening the baby’s bones. The massage oil is non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and free of parabens, mineral oils, and synthetic fragrances.
7. Best Nourishing: Himalaya Nourishing Baby Oil
Himalaya nourishing oil is a mild and stain-free oil that is ideal for massaging your baby’s skin. It helps soothe and moisturize the baby’s skin and aids in treating dry skin. The vitamin-E-rich olive oil nourishes sensitive skin, and Ashwagandha, also known as the winter cherry, contains antioxidants that protect the baby’s skin before and after bathing. The oil is free of parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, lanolin, and synthetic colors.
8. Best GMO-Free: Motherlove Birth & Baby Oil
Motherlove’s versatile baby oil is ideal for perineal massage before and after labor. It is also suitable for newborn babies. The ingredients include lavender flower extracts and apricot oil, which are gentle on sensitive skin and have nourishing properties. It contains no GMOs, parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrances.
9. Best Non-Greasy: Evereden Soothing Baby Massage Oil
Everden massage oil is suited for all skin types as it is made from natural ingredients such as jojoba, grape seed, avocado, coconut, and sunflower seed oils. It is non-greasy and lightweight, and it deeply hydrates the skin. This massage oil is non-toxic and has been recommended by dermatologists as well as pediatricians. Furthermore, the oil is fragrance-free and ideal for eczema-prone skin.
10. Best Quick Absorbing: Shoosha Baby Massage Oil
Shoosha massage oil is a rich, mild blend of soothing oils infused with calendula petals that moisturize the baby’s dry, delicate skin for up to 24 hours. It provides additional moisture to the skin. It is non-greasy and absorbs quickly, and it can be used from head to toe. Further, this massage oil is infused with the goodness of coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, rosemary oil, and vitamin E.
11. Best Vegan Cold-Pressed: California Baby Calming Massage Oil
The main ingredients of the California massage oil are vegan cold-pressed oils such as canola, safflower, primrose, scented French lavender, and clary sage. They help soothe and smooth newborn skin while also refreshing the senses. This natural massage oil is gentle on the face and body and penetrates deep into the skin without leaving any greasy residue.
How To Choose The Right Baby Oil For Massage?
It is critical to consider the following factors to select the best baby oil for massage.
- Exclusive for babies: Select oils meant exclusively for babies and not for adults.
- Artificial fragrances: Avoid those with artificial fragrances as they may irritate the baby’s sensitive skin.
- Chemicals: The products should be free of mineral oils, parabens, phthalates, and other harmful chemicals.
- Mixture of oils: Avoid combining two or more oils for massage.
- Patch test: Always do a patch test before using the massage oil.
Using baby oils for massage helps relax the baby while improving blood circulation, and it also helps them fall asleep. Choosing oils formulated especially for babies is recommended as they are free of ingredients that may not suit their delicate skin. Moreover, ensure the oils are pediatrician-tested and do not have harmful chemicals or artificial fragrances to prevent skin irritation. Lastly, perform a patch test before using the oil for the entire body to ensure its safety.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna specializes in pregnancy, nursing, and baby products. She adds her expertise and skills to curate informative reviews that can make your buying process easy. In this article, she has listed the best baby oils for massage with detailed information. The post includes tips on how to massage babies when using these oils. Based on real user feedback, these oils are safe, high-quality, and nourishing.
- Best Almond Oils For Baby Massage
- Best Scalp Oils
- Best Essential Oils For Babies
- Best Face Oils For Glowing Skin
- Best Olive Oil Soaps