Once your baby learns how to stand, walking is not too far away. Walking and standing are essential milestones that keep a baby healthy and in its best shape. The best baby push walker will help your baby develop the right skills, so they begin walking by themselves. Push walkers come in handy when babies start developing movement and independent walking skills. Here is our list of top push walkers for babies that acts as walking support for babies. Learn more about them. You can choose the right one that works best for your baby.
15 Best Push Walkers For Babies In 2023
1. Best Entertaining: VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
https://www.babylist.com/hello-baby/best-baby-push-toysThe Best Baby Push Walkers of 2023 https://www.experiencedmommy.com/best-baby-push-walkers/The 10 Best Baby Walkers of 2023 https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/best-baby-walkers#best-baby-walkers
- The electronic activity center has various buttons that light up and make fun noises to entertain the baby.
- A set of colorful rollers and a pair of gears rotate when the baby moves them. These activities help improve the fine motor skills of the baby.
- The large handle lets the baby have a sturdy grip on the push walker.
- The activity center may not work as well after a few months of use.
- The wheels do not have a lock function for safety.
2. Best For Outdoor Use: Little Tikes Gas ‘n Go Mower
The Little Tikes push toy makes an ideal outdoor push walker, especially for older toddlers. Check out this video to learn more.
- The walker is adorably shaped like a lawnmower, with beads and other accessories that make sounds when it moves.
- The several sounds made by the walking practice toy are mechanical, which means you do not need batteries.
- The toy provides adequate traction and grip when you move it outdoors.
- The quality was unsatisfactory to some parents. A few parts of the walker broke after repeated use.
3. Best Compact Design: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Corn Popper
If you are looking for a simple walker that you can easily carry anywhere you want, then you must take a look at this Fisher-Price product. Watch this video for more information.
- Simple and compact design with a long handle. The small and light base makes it easy for the baby to maneuver the walker.
- Beads within the base of the lightweight baby walker make popping sounds when the walker is moved.
- A few parents noted that the smooth wheels do not roll properly on hard surfaces.
4. Best Wagon-Styled Walker:Radio Flyer Classic Wagon Walker
It is a classic push walker for babies that is shaped like a wagon. If you want something unique as a baby’s push toy, consider Radio Flyer’s push wagon walker.
- The classic, retro-looking wagon is made entirely of durable wood, with removable wooden stake sides.
- The storage basket of the walker is deep enough to carry several toys.
- A bumper at the front prevents any damage to the walker’s body in case the baby bumps into something.
- Sturdy construction and weighted body prevent toppling.
- The handle is made from metal and is screwed into the walker’s frame for added rigidity.
- A few buyers were not impressed by the quality of the wood and felt it could have been better.
5. Best Walker With Sounds: Fisher-Price Learn with Me Zebra Walker
This sturdy baby walker is a blend of sit-and-play activity center along and a standard push walker.
- There is an activity center at the front, which is easily accessible to the baby seated on the ground.
- The activity center plays several entertaining sounds, including sounds of various letters and numbers.
- Sturdy construction and wide wheelbase make it safe for the baby to use the walker.
- The wheels do not have brakes or any speed control feature. A few parents notice that the walker tends to lean and nearly topple when the baby pulls to stand.
- The wheels are made entirely out of plastic and may not offer traction on smooth hardwood floors. The walker may go faster than usual on smooth surfaces.
6. Best Sturdy: Melissa & Doug Chomp & Clack Alligator Push Toy
It is an adorable wooden push walker with exciting features.
- There are three wooden alligators at the front of the toy that open and close their mouths to make a chomping noise with each step. This feature can make the baby walk more often.
- The wood is smoothened out so that there are no rough surfaces. The colors used for painting the toy are baby-safe.
- Long push rod that is sturdy and easy to hold for the baby.
- You can customize the push walker for babies by adding your babies on the walker. It makes an excellent gift idea.
- Some parents felt that the toy is not very stable for the older toddlers and may lean over if the child pulls up to stand.
- A few parents noticed the wood and the paint chipping away over time.
7. Best For Developing Motor Skills: Fisher-Price Bright Beginnings Activity Walker
This walker has several in-built activities at the front. So the baby can either sit and enjoy the activities or use this walker toy for babies to move around.
- The activity center can fold flat, making it an activity center on wheels. It eliminates the need to remove the activity center each time the baby wants to play with it.
- The activities include button-pressing and rolling small toys within the frame, which help in developing the fine motor skills of the baby.
- The handlebar is large and provides the baby with a comfortable grip on the walker.
- Some parents noticed that the wheels rotated fast and caused the walker to move uncontrollably.
[ Read : Fisher Price Baby Mattress With Mosquito Net & Pillow Review ]
8. Best Easy-To-Control: Brio Toddler Wobbler
This push toy from Brio offers a good amount of customization so that parents can control the functions of the walker.
- The push handle of the walker is tall and conveniently stays within reach of the little one. Parents can choose from two tilt angles of the handle.
- A simple screw within the wheel allows you to increase or decrease the speed of the wheel. And anti-skid rubber wheel rims offer enhanced stability.
- It is made entirely from wood with no rough surfaces.
- A few parents felt that the walker was a bit shaky. The parents considered the walker better suited for older toddlers who are good at walking.
9. Best With Removable Activity Center: LeapFrog Scout’s 3-in-1 Walker
This baby push-toy packs a lot of value for it features three functions: baby play gym, an activity center, and a push walker.
- The electronic activity center’s frame tilts at an angle that allows the baby to lie down and use the activity center as a play gym.
- You can remove the activity center from the frame and use it as a separate toy.
- Parents can set the speed of the wheels, which increases safety for babies who are just beginning to walk.
- The wheels are set wide apart for improved stability.
- Parents complain about the poor quality of the sound and functions.
10. Best Multi-Function: iPlay, iLearn Baby Walker
This push walker for babies is loaded with exciting functions to keep the little one engaged.
- There is an elaborate activity center at the front, which contains several buttons and fun games. Buttons make various sounds while rolling beads and a steering wheel help stimulate fine motor skills.
- You can fold the walker to convert its legs into a stand for the activity center. Flip the activity center to use the drawing board beneath it.
- The frame of the walker is designed for stability, adequate traction, and a low center of gravity.
- You can control the speed of the wheel’s rotation between high to low using a knob.
- Some buyers did not like the quality of the sounds played by the activity center.
11. Best For Small Activities: Hape Wonder Walker
Hape’s push walker for hardwood floors is elegantly designed and makes for a sophisticated toy.
- The wood is given a smooth finishing and is sourced from sustainable sources.
- The paint used in the walker is non-toxic and child-safe.
- Each wheel has a rubber rim to provide maximum grip on any floor surface.
- There are several small activity toys attached at the back and on the sides of the walker’s frame. It helps keep the baby engaged when they are not walking.
- Some parents did not find the walker durable. A few parents found the wood panels to be flimsy.
12. Best Functional: Bright Starts Giggling Gourmet Shop ‘n Cook Walker
The Bright Starts walker is designed to be functional and baby-friendly at the same time. This push toy for early walkers offers four play modes and helps develop skills such as balance.
- The top of the walker’s main body has a basket with a lid that contains an electronic activity center, which is detachable for separate use.
- The activity center has a cooking theme. There is a button that makes popping corn sounds while another makes sizzling sounds that the baby may find amusing.
- There is a basket under the lid of the activity center, which can be used for storing baby toys. The basket also makes it convenient for the baby to carry the toy wherever they go.
- The wheels are set wide apart, offering stability and adequate traction.
- Buttons on the activity center can be delicate and may stop making sounds after some time.
13. Best For Storing Toys: HABA Walker Wagon
If you are looking for a high-quality wooden push walker, then this wagon from HABA is probably the best choice you can make.
- The walker is made from high-quality beechwood that is treated with non-toxic, water-based paint.
- The wheels have silicone treads for superior grip on all types of surfaces. The speed of the wheels’ rotation is adjustable.
- The slot within the push walker lets you store toys. There is also a seat at the front that can be used by the baby to sit. It also allows a sibling to ride along.
- Slightly expensive
14. Best For Imaginative Play: Kiddery Wooden Walker And Activity Toy For Kids
The push-and-pull wooden walker for hardwood floors is designed to support walking among babies and helps develop essential skills. The developmental push walker helps stimulate creativity, improves motor skills, and develops imagination.
- Made of premium-quality wood and non-toxic paints
- Comes with rubber edges on the wheels that protect delicate hardwood floors
- Includes seven fun activities that include flip blocks, a fun maze, a rear window, a shape sorter, a hand massage board, beads, and a xylophone
- Develops skills such as creativity, motor skills, and imagination
- May have splinters and cuts
- May roll fast
15. Best With Adjustable Speed: Infans Baby Activity Push Walker
The baby walker is a sit-and-stand walker designed to make walking a fun experience. Made of premium PP, it is completely non-toxic and provides adequate traction for a smooth ride.
- Features non-slip rubber wheel rims for safe driving
- Comes with two adjustable speed settings and speed control buttons
- Triangle structure makes a stable walker that prevents rollover
- Comes with an anti-collision air cushion for safety
- Fun design with flashlights, baby toys to rotate, and music to play
- Promotes hand-eye coordination and all-round development
- Color options may be limited
What Is A Baby Push Walker?
A push walker is a large accessory with wheels that a baby can push while walking. The toy resembles a mini car, although a push toy can have any other shape too. The basic design of the learning to walk toy stays the same — wheels on the main body and a long handle for the baby to hold while pushing. The main body of the walker is weighted to prevent toppling.
Some other names of a baby push walker are kiddie push car and push wagon.
[ Read : Shumee Musical Activity Baby Walker Review ]
When Can Babies Use A Push Walker?
A baby can use a push walker around 12 months of age (1) when they can stand alone and walk while holding objects for support (2). Considering this, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends giving a push toy to the baby at the age of one year, when they will be better adept at pushing the walker (3).
[ Read : Chicco 123 Baby Walker Review ]
What Are The Advantages Of Baby Push Walker?
The primary benefit of a push walker is to help develop gross motor skills by strengthening the muscles. A push walker assists in walking and improving the dexterity of the legs. Regular use may help a baby achieve physical development milestones on time.
However, to reap the benefits these toys offer, you need to pick the right one for your baby.
[ Read : Babyhug Mini Steps Walker Cum Rocker Review ]
How To Choose The Right Baby Push Walker?
Keep the following factors in mind when shopping for a baby push walker.
- Weight and age suitability: Push walkers are designed for babies of a certain age and weight limit.
- Height: The baby toy should be tall enough for the baby to use comfortably. It should not be overwhelming for the baby to push.
- Adequate length of the push rod: The length of the push rod should be sufficient to let your baby hold it properly.
- Stability: The walker should have a sturdy construction and provide maximum stability to prevent turning over when pushed fast or hard.
- Extra features: Some push wagon walkers have bonus features like an attached activity center, a sitting stool, additional storage for baby toys etc. Having these features enhances the value of the push walker. The additional features encourage independent walking by coaxing the baby to use the walker.
Heather Welch, a mom, play advocate, educator, and developer of educational toys, says, “Baby push walkers are a wonderful way to encourage walking and help babies walk independently. However before introducing one to your baby, make sure they are ready to stand and walk and can bear the walker’s weight. If you introduce it too early to your baby, it can cause issues with their gait.”
Safety Tips For Using Baby Walkers
- Never leave a baby alone: Always supervise a baby using a walker. If you are outdoors, the baby can walk away to areas they must not go to. Even indoors, a baby may walk away to the edge of the stairs or any other dangerous place. To avoid accidents, baby push walkers should always be used under supervision.
- Check for wear and tear: Regular use can cause stress on various parts of the toy. Opt for walkers with a sturdy construction and check for damage, cracks, or loose parts that can pose a risk to the baby.
- Keep an eye on the toy’s weight limit: Babies and toddlers grow quickly. You may not even realize that the baby may have outgrown the age and weight limit of the push walker. If the walker leans or topples even with regular use, then it is quite likely that your little one is now too heavy for the push walker.
Why Trust MomJunction?
In this article, Vibha Navarathna, our in-house writer and reviewer of baby products, has listed the best baby push walkers in an informative and objective manner after conducting extensive research. She has also discussed the advantages and safety tips to follow while using baby push walkers and how to choose the right one for your requirements. These tried-and-tested baby push walkers will encourage your little one to develop their walking skills safely.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are push-along walkers OK for babies?
Yes, push-along walkers or push toys are equipped with a handlebar and are weighted to prevent tip over (1). Unlike traditional walkers, these walkers encourage your tiny tot to walk and play.
2. What can I use instead of a traditional baby walker?
You can replace traditional walkers with stationary activity centers, push toys, ride-on toys, baby walking aids, and baby jumpers. However, ensure your infant is under adult supervision when they are using infant walking helpers.
3. What is the difference between a push toy and a walker?
A push toy is not equipped with any seat to sit on. It allows your baby to walk with support.
A walker, on the other hand, is built with a frame, seat, and smooth wheels but may have the potential hazard of tipping over.
4. How should I introduce push walkers to my baby?
Once your baby is ready to hold objects and walk, teach them to hold the handlebar of a push toy and walk. You may also want to baby-proof your house before introducing them to a walker.
A push walker is a functional toy that helps strengthen a baby’s leg muscles and hone gross motor skills to encourage independent walking. Experts advise using these walkers for babies aged 12 months and above to help them learn to walk. Our list comprises the best baby push walkers made of different materials, such as plastic and wood. These best-selling toys are available in different colors, sizes, styles, and types and have additional features, such as in-built activities. You can pick a budget-friendly option based on attributes, such as the baby’s age, weight, and height. Selecting the right baby walker and observing necessary precautions ensure you make the best use of push walkers for your little one.
Infographic: How To Use Push Walkers Safely?
Push walkers provide support and encouragement as infants take their first steps toward independent mobility. However, these developmental toys must be used properly to prevent injuries. Refer to the infographic below to learn how to use push walkers correctly and ensure a safe experience for your little one.
- Best Baby Walker and Push Toys
- The Best Baby Push Walkers of 2023
- The 10 Best Baby Walkers of 2023