Once the baby learns to stand, it takes them little time to start walking. Standing and walking are essential milestones that help the baby in their overall physical development.
Push walkers come in handy at a time when the baby is starting to develop these skills. But when is the ideal time to introduce the baby to a push walker? In this MomJunction post, we provide a complete guide on choosing baby push walkers and a list of the 15 best push walkers to choose from.
What Is A Baby Push Walker?
A push walker is a large accessory with wheels that a baby can push while walking. The toy resembles a mini car, although a push toy can have any other shape too. The basic design stays the same – wheels on the main body and a long handle for the baby to hold while pushing. The main body of the walker is weighted to prevent the toy from toppling.
Some other names of a baby push walker are kiddie push car and push wagon.
When Can Babies Use A Push Walker?
A baby can use a push walker around 12 months of age (1) when they can stand alone and walk while holding objects for support (2). Considering this, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends giving a push toy to the baby at the age of one year, when they will be better adept at pushing the walker (3).
What Are The Advantages Of Baby Push Walker?
The primary benefit of a push walker is to help develop gross motor skills by strengthening the muscles. A push walker assists in walking and improving the dexterity of the legs. Regular use may help a baby achieve physical development milestones on time (4).
However, to reap the benefits these toys offer, you need to pick the right one for your baby.
How To Select A Baby Push Walker?
Keep a watch on the following features and attributes when shopping for a baby push walker:
- Weight and age limit: Push walkers are designed for babies of a certain age and weight limit.
- Height: The toy should be tall enough for the baby to use comfortably. It should not be overwhelming for the baby to push.
- Adequate length of the push rod: The length of the push rod should be sufficient to let your baby hold it properly.
- Stability: The walker should provide maximum stability to prevent turning over when pushed fast or hard.
- Extra features: Some push wagons have bonus features like an attached activity center, a sitting stool, etc. Having these features enhances the value of the push walker. The additional features also encourage the baby to use the walker.
In the next section, we list some of the best push walkers that you can consider while shopping.
15 Best Push Walkers
1. VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
This multipurpose baby walker from VTech is entertaining and practical for a baby to use.
- The walker has a removable activity panel at the front. The electronic activity center has various buttons that play sound and light to entertain the baby.
- A set of colorful rollers and a pair of gears rotate when the baby moves them. These activities help improve the fine motor skills of the baby.
- The large handle lets the baby have a sturdy grip on the push walker.
- The activity center may not work as well after a few months of use.
- The wheels do not have a lock function for safety.
2. Little Tikes Gas ‘n Go Mower
The Little Tikes push toy makes an ideal outdoor push walker, especially for older toddlers.
- The walker is adorably shaped like a lawnmower, with beads and other accessories that make sounds when it moves.
- The several sounds made by the toy are mechanical, which means you do not need batteries.
- The toy provides adequate grip when you move it outdoors.
- The quality was unsatisfactory to some parents. A few parts of the walker broke after repeated use.
3. Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Corn Popper
If you are looking for a simple walker that you can easily carry anywhere you want, then you must take a look at this Fisher-Price product.
- Simple and compact design with a long handle. The small and light base makes it easy for the baby to maneuver the walker.
- Beads within the base of the walker make popping sounds when the walker is moved.
- A few parents noted that the smooth wheels do not roll properly on hard surfaces.
4. Radio Flyer Classic Walker Wagon
It is a classic baby walker shaped like a wagon. If you want something unique as baby’s push toy, then you must consider Radio Flyer’s push walker.
- The classic, retro-looking wagon is made entirely of durable wood, with removable wooden stake sides.
- The front basket of the walker is deep enough to carry several toys.
- A bumper at the front prevents any damage to the walker’s body in case the baby bumps into something.
- The handle is made from metal and is screwed into the walker’s frame for added rigidity.
- A few buyers were not impressed by the quality of the wood and felt it could have been better.
5. Fisher-Price Learn with Me Zebra Walker
This walker is a blend of sit-and-play activity center along and a standard push walker.
- There is an activity center at the front, which is easily accessible to the baby seated on the ground.
- The activity center plays several entertaining sounds, including sounds of various letters and numbers.
- Sturdy handle and wide wheelbase make it safe for the baby to use the walker.
- The wheels do not have brakes or any speed control feature. A few parents notice that the walker tends to lean and nearly topple when the baby pulls to stand.
- The wheels are made entirely out of plastic and may not offer traction on smooth floors. The walker may go faster than usual on smooth surfaces.
6. Melissa & Doug Chomp & Clack Alligator Push Toy
It is an adorable wooden push walker with exciting features.
- There are three wooden alligators at the front of the toy that open and close their mouths to make chomping sound with each step. This feature can make the baby walk more often.
- The wood is smoothened out so that there are no rough surfaces. The colors used for painting the toy are baby-safe.
- Long push rod that is sturdy and easy to hold for the baby.
- You can customize the walker by adding the name of the baby on the walker. It makes an excellent gift idea.
- Some parents felt that the toy is not very stable for the older toddlers and may lean over if the child pulls up to stand.
- A few parents noticed the wood and the paint chipping away over time.
7. Fisher-Price Bright Beginnings Activity Walker
This walker has several in-built activities at the front. So the baby can either sit and enjoy the activities or use the walker to move around.
- The activity center can fold flat, making it an activity center on wheels. It eliminates the need to remove the activity center each time the baby wants to play with it.
- The activities include button-pressing and rolling small toys within the frame, which help in developing the fine motor skills of the baby.
- The handlebar is large and provides the baby with a comfortable grip on the walker.
- Some parents noticed that the wheels rotated fast and caused the walker to move uncontrollably.
8. Brio Toddler Wobbler
This push toy from Brio offers a good amount of customization so that parents can control the functions of the walker.
- The push handle of the walker is tall and conveniently stays within reach of the little one. Parents can choose from two tilt angles of the handle.
- A simple screw within the wheel allows you to increase or decrease the speed of the wheel. Wheels have anti-skid rubber rims for enhanced grip.
- It is made entirely from wood that with no rough surfaces.
- A few parents felt that the walker is a bit shaky. The parents considered the walker better suited for older toddlers who are good at walking.
9. LeapFrog Scout’s 3-in-1 Walker
This baby push-toy packs a lot of value for it features three functions: baby play gym, an activity center, and a push walker.
- The electronic activity center’s frame tilts at an angle that allows the baby to lie down and use the activity center as a play gym.
- You can remove the activity center from the frame and use it as a separate toy.
- Parents can set the speed of the wheels, which increases safety for babies who are just beginning to walk.
- The wheels are set wide apart for improved stability.
- Parents complain about the poor quality of the sound and functions.
10. iPlay, iLearn Baby Walker
This push toy for babies is loaded with exciting functions to keep the little one engaged.
- There is an elaborate activity center at the front, which contains several buttons and fun games. Buttons make various sounds while rolling beads and a steering wheel help stimulate fine motor skills.
- You can fold the walker to convert its legs into a stand for the activity center. Flip the activity center to use the drawing board beneath it.
- The frame of the walker is designed for stability and low center of gravity.
- You can control the speed of the wheel’s rotation between high to low using a knob.
- Some buyers did not like the quality of the sounds played by the activity center.
11. Hape Wonder Walker
Hape’s push walker is elegantly designed and makes for a sophisticated toy.
- The wood is given a smooth finishing and is sourced from sustainable sources.
- The paint used in the walker is non-toxic and child-safe.
- Each wheel has a rubber rim to provide maximum grip on any floor surface.
- There are several small activity toys attached at the back and on the sides of the walker’s frame. It helps keep the baby engaged when they are not walking.
- Some parents did not find the walker durable. A few parents found the wood panels to be flimsy.
12. Bright Starts Giggling Gourmet Shop ‘n Cook Walker
The Bright Starts walker is designed to be functional and baby-friendly at the same time.
- The top of the walker’s main body has a basket with a lid that contains an electronic activity center, which is detachable for separate use.
- The activity center has a cooking theme. There is a button that makes popping corn sounds while another makes sizzling sounds that the baby may find amusing.
- There is a basket under the lid of the activity center, which you can use to store the baby’s toys. The basket also makes it convenient for the baby to carry the toy wherever they go.
- The wheels are set wide apart for added stability.
- Buttons on the activity center can be delicate and may stop making sounds after some time.
13. HABA Walker Wagon
If you are looking for a high-quality wooden push walker, then this wagon from HABA is probably the best choice you can make.
- The walker is made from high-quality beechwood that is treated with non-toxic, water-based paint.
- The wheels have silicone treads for superior grip on all types of surfaces. The speed of the wheels’ rotation is adjustable.
- The slot within the push walker lets you store toys. There is also a seat at the front that can be used by the baby to sit. It also allows a sibling to ride along.
- Slightly expensive
14. Cossy Wooden Baby Learning Walker
Cossy’s walker is a well-designed, thoughtful push toy that comes with several extra features that make it a complete entertainer.
- The front of the walker is shaped like an animal. You can pick the walker in two animal shapes and two other exciting themes.
- The push walker ships with a set of colorful wooden blocks that sit within the body of the walker. The baby can use these blocks as building blocks or for any other imaginative play.
- The manufacturer uses high-quality wood with smooth surfaces and edges. The paint used is water-based and safe.
- The wheels of the walker have a rubber rim that provides adequate traction and also protects the floor.
- Some parents did not like the construction of the walker and felt it was not put together properly.
15. PlanToys Baby Walker
- The height of the handle can be adjusted according to the height of the baby.
- It comes with 24 colored and plain wooden blocks for the baby to play along.
- The walker and the wooden blocks are made of wood from organic rubber tree wood.
- Each wheel has a rubber tread for the best grip on any surface.
- A few buyers found the build quality of the walker to be flimsy. Some parents also noticed that the walker is a bit light for a young baby to pull to stand.
A baby push walker is a mobile toy. Therefore, you need to take some precautions while using it.
Safety Tips For Using Baby Walkers
- Never leave a baby alone: Always supervise a baby using a walker. If you are outdoors, the baby can walk away to areas they must not go to. Even indoors, a baby may walk away to the edge of the stairs or any other dangerous place. To avoid accidents, baby push walkers should always be used under supervision.
- Check for wear and tear: Regular use can cause stress on various parts of the toy. Check for damage, cracks, or loose parts that can pose a risk to the baby.
- Keep an eye on the toy’s weight limit: Babies and toddlers grow quickly. You may not even realize that the baby may have outgrown the age and weight limit of the push walker. If the walker leans or topples even with regular use, then it is quite likely that your little one is now too heavy for the push walker.
A push walker is a functional toy that polishes a baby’s gross motor skills. It is essential to pick a push walker that suits the age and walking skills of the baby. Once you get the right one, a few regular checks and supervision are enough to ensure the safe usage of the push walker.
Which push walker did you get for your little one? Tell us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
2. Important Milestones: Your Child By One Year; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
3. Milestone Moments; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
4. Promoting Physical Activity for Infants and Toddlers in Early Childhood Settings; Alabama Department of Public Health
Latest posts by Rohit Garoo (see all)
- 11 Best Hats To Buy For Kids In 2019 - October 18, 2019
- 9 Best Laptops To Buy For Kids In 2019 - October 18, 2019
- 13 Best Water Guns To Buy For Kids In 2019 - September 18, 2019
- 11 Best Flashcards To Buy For Kids In 2019 - September 17, 2019
- 11 Best Educational STEM Toys For Toddlers - September 17, 2019
- 15 Best Play Food Sets For Kids To Buy In 2019 - September 17, 2019
- 15 Best Jackets To Buy For Boys In 2019 - September 13, 2019
- 11 Best Crib Mattress Pads For Babies In 2019 - August 31, 2019
- 17 Best Boots To Buy For Boys In 2019 - August 30, 2019
- 15 Best Transformer Toys To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 30, 2019