When your little munchkin begins crawling, you will need a baby safety gate to prevent unwarranted accidents and injuries. So, here’s our list of the best baby safety gates to help you choose. When your child is on the move, it’s essential that you babyproof your home to ensure maximum safety for your baby. The riskiest places that your baby can access are bathrooms, staircases, kitchens, and garages. So it’s’ best to make use of a good baby safety gate and prevent your tiny tots from entering these spaces. A baby gate prevents your munchkin from entering a specific area and keeps them out of harm’s way. Be it a bedroom or a bathroom, it sections off a space and prevents your baby from accessing it.
So, scroll below as we list baby safety gates with various features and designs to help you pick one suitable for you.
Baby Gate Safety Tips
It is always recommended that you buy a baby gate that follows JPMA standards. According to the standards, a baby gate should have the following requirements:
- To bar the toddlers from reaching the top of the gate, it must be 22 inches or higher.
- The space between the vertical rails should not be more than 3 inches to prevent the baby from sticking their head out.
- To prevent any climbing, there shouldn’t be any openings that are larger than your child’s foot.
- The gap between the bottom of the baby gate and the floor should be so small that there’s no chance of your child’s head getting stuck.
To ensure that you are buying the right product, always measure your rooms and staircases. Also, be aware that there are mainly 2 different kinds of baby gates.
Types Of Baby Gates
- Hardware mounted gates
These are fixed to your walls with screws. They have a bracket that holds the gate in place. These are most secure to be put on a staircase. However, make sure that you don’t screw the gate on a wall that has only plaster as that wouldn’t be a solid barrier.
- Pressure mounted gates
These types of gates make use of expandable springs that lock the gate when pressed between the walls. They come with rubber pieces that help to hold the gate in its place. They are more suited for leveled areas like doorways and room entrances.
Now that you are aware of the importance of baby gates, let us take you to the best baby gates in the offering, so that you can make the best choice.
17 Best Baby Safety Gates
1. Best Easy-To-Set-Up: Regalo Easy Open Baby Gate
When it comes to your baby, there shouldn’t be any compromise, which this product guarantees. Suitable for babies from 6 months to 24 months, this all-metal baby gate is made of steel, and the best feature is that it is mountable both ways- as a pressure mount and hardware mount. The walk-through gate has the option of working around the opening width so that you can have more comfort and ease of passage. What more, it meets the regulation standards of both JPMA and ASTM. So you can be stress-free and choose any corner or staircase of your house to install this sturdy baby gate. TTo find out more about this expert-approved baby gate with a door, check out this video.
- Easy to set up
- Adjustable width
- Safe multi-lock features
- Easy storage
- The width listing in terms of opening may be ambiguous
2. Best Single-Hand Operation: Toddleroo Easy Swing & Lock Baby Gate
This sleek baby and toddler safety gate is ideal for your home looking for both elegance and security. The matte bronze finish of the gate adds to the decor of your home, and the hardware-mounted mechanism provides strict security at the stairways or any other spot in your house. This safety barrier gate doesn’t have a threshold, so there’s no danger of tripping down and hurting yourself. The vertical gate bars aren’t easy to climb, and the extra height prevents your baby from reaching the top of the baby gate. The gate is made from quality materials. It also features a safety lock that will quickly become dad-and-mom-approved as it can be easily operated even if you are carrying your baby on the other hand. With options of varying opening widths, this safety gate is a perfect choice for your home. If you are a beginner, this video review about this baby gate for stairs might be useful as it explores a tester’s experience.
- Stylish look
- Single hand operation
- Extra wide door opening
- One way swing and lock mechanism for added safety
- The installation could be challenging
3. Best With Rubber Padding: Regalo Easy Fit Baby Gate
The pressure mount gate from the trusted brand Regalo is a quality baby safety gate that will protect your little one without causing distress to your home and walls. It comes with rubber padding to keep your gate secure and your walls free of any scuff. It is made from hard plastic and is greatly durable. Whether you want to install it at your doorways or a certain part of your porch/patio or garden, this product will be of great use to you. You can always adjust the width of the opening according to your convenience, and the excellent steel lock mechanism is a bonus. In fact, the gate is also easy to maintain. Just a little wipe, and your gate looks clean and sparkling. Check out this video that offers a detailed description of this pressure-mounted baby gate.
- Easy installation
- Extendable baby gate
- Ideal for indoors and outdoors
- No scraping in the walls
- The lock mechanism may be a little cumbersome
4. Best Auto-Close Mechanism: Summer Modern Home Decorative Walk-Thru Baby Gate
This beautiful and elegant arched baby safety gate is a stylish and decorative addition to your home. The gate can be used both ways, as a pressure mount and as a hardware mount. This daddy-and-mommy-approved auto-close baby gate has an all-steel construction, and hence, it is very strong. Plus, its optimum height ensures that your baby is safe and protected at all times. It can extend upto a good width, so your movement across the gate is unhindered. And if you wish to keep the door open, the hold-open mechanism enables you to do so as and when required. With such durability and functional features, this will surely be a helpful safety feature in your home.
- Easy to install
- 30-inch height for added safety
- Easy, single hand opening
- Appropriate for stairs and doorways
- May not fit all space widths
5. Best Double-Locking Mechanism: Dreambaby Chelsea Extra-Tall Gate
The Dreambaby Chelsea extra-tall baby gate combines safety and convenience. This pressure-mounted gate accommodates 38-53-inch wide openings and facilitates one-handed operation for seamless movement. Its extra-tall height of 39.5 inches keeps a baby or a pet from climbing or jumping over. In addition, the gate has a stay-open feature, allowing it to remain open when required. This pet and child gate also has an auto-close feature, ensuring it stays closed when you are busy.
- EZY Check indicator to ensure complete safety
- Double-locking mechanism
- Easy installation
- Flexible placement
- Large openings
- Opening function may be slightly complex
- Bottom screw may fall out in rare instances
6. Best In Safety: Safety 1st Lock and Swing Gate
This safety gate, by the tried-and-tested brand Safety 1st, is a great option for your baby with its flexible mounting options.It comes with a standout and dependable safety feature called ‘Secure Tech’ that indicates if the gate has been correctly installed and locked. It gives you an added assurance and also peace of mind. The quality hinges give you the freedom to choose the swing action of the door, depending on whether it is located. The lift and release design is a highly convenient feature that makes your movement seamless and safe too.
- Option of both hardware mount and pressure mount
- Can be installed anywhere
- Easy to install and use
- Swing door option for easy pass through
- Using the lock mechanism may be a little challenging
7. Best Quick Set-Up: Toddleroo by North States Superyard 6 Panel Baby Play Yard
The daddy-and-mommy-approved Toddleroo by North States superyard six-panel baby play yard is the perfect solution for keeping your little ones safe and while they play. With six panels, this play yard creates a large, secure, baby-friendly area for your child to play and explore. The panels are made of durable, weather-resistant materials and are easy to set up and take down. The play yard also features a convenient walk-through door for easy access.
- Versatile design allows for multiple configuration options
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Comes with a gate that can be locked for added safety
- May be small for older children
- Gate’s locking mechanism might be complex for some
8. Best Sleek: Momcozy Retractable Baby Gate
This retractable baby gate by Momcozy is a true helper for new parents as it allows children to play without inhibitions in a safe range. The expert-approved mesh baby gate can be extended to fit doorways and hallways up to 71 inches wide and is perfect to use in any room. Made of durable, high-quality materials and featuring a sleek, modern design, it can enhance your home decor for a stylish look. The retractable baby gate also features a double locking mechanism, creating a safe, baby-friendly environment for your little ones.
- Space-saving design
- Easy installation and extension
- Meets ASTM safety standards
- No sharp edges
- One-handed operation
- Environmentally-friendly paint
- Retracts easily, quietly, and automatically
- Might not be easy to latch the gate at the bottom
- Quality of the mesh may not be great
9. Best Extendable: Safety 1st Décor Easy Install Tall & Wide Baby Gate
If you want to make your home a child-friendly one, then this stylish baby gate from Safety 1st can be your ideal choice. This expert-approved baby gate has a solid strength and can be extended upto a width of 47 inches so that it can be adapted to various doorways/hallways, and your movements are also free of any disruptions. Since it features pressure mount installation, you can be assured of a fuss-free and scuff-free gated area. The gate also tells you whether the installation pressure is accurate so that you can adjust the same for an assured safety resolution. The tall gate features a height of 36 inches, and that is great to keep your child safe and prevent any mishap.
- Meets JPMA and ASTM safety standards
- Sturdy and safe
- Unique pressure safety indicator
- Easy installation
- The instruction manual may not be clear
10. Best For Large Spaces: Summer Custom Fit Baby Gate
This walk-through baby gate is an excellent option if you are looking for baby-proofing a bigger space within your home or outside. The tall 30-inch gate has the option of expanding up to 87 inches and 141 inch opening with the help of extra panels. In fact, after joining the panels together, you can even create a sturdy, protected, and freestanding playpen/play yard for your kids. The expandable baby gate features a hardware mount if you plan to install it inside your home. It can be trusted by moms and dads as its elegant grey mesh merges well with all kinds of decor and gives you a see-through glimpse even when you are busy, or your baby is seated within. The lock mechanism is easy to use and can be operated single-handedly when you are moving or carrying your baby.
- Suitable for oddly shaped places
- Stylish look
- Made from quality materials
- Easy to install
- The product may not be very sturdy for bigger toddlers
This wooden stairway baby gate by the baby care specialist brand Evenflo is a charming yet sturdy safety solution for any house that has a little one crawling or moving about. The gate opening can accommodate upto 48 inches of expandable width. The hardware-mounted baby gate features a four-point installation mechanism that gives you a strong and secure base for the gate, and there’s no threshold or floor bar to trip you over. It is great for busy parents as the gate can open both sides and provide you with an unhindered walk﹘through experience.If you are carrying your baby or anything else, the easy one hand open latch mechanism will make opening and closing the gate an effortless deal. In fact, if there is a space crunch, the gate can also retract back, giving you more freedom of space.
- Sliding gate
- 2-way door swing mechanism
- Easy to install
- The screw fastening mechanism may not be up to mark
If you want a baby safety gate that is extra sturdy and versatile in use, this could be your ideal baby safety gate. This gate can be used with ease﹘both indoors and outdoors. In fact the robust plastic body is good for any weather and hence it is perfect to be used in patios and decks too.It comes with a hardware mounting kit that ensures a hassle-free installation if you are planning to install it inside your home. There’s no step﹘over rail or threshold, so it’s absolutely safe against any tripping or accident and there is a supporting foot to keep the gate firmly in place. So get this amazing walk﹘through baby gate to keep your baby secure and happy.
- Durable plastic make
- Easy instruction manual
- Extra stable design
- Available in 2 colors
- The gate might become brittle with time when kept outdoors
The Munchkin extending baby gate is designed for those looking for a stylish yet safe option to secure the areas of their home for their children. It is taller than most standard baby gates and extends between 33 and 56 inches wide, making it perfect for areas with large openings or stairways. This extra-wide baby gate allows for one-handed operation and has a convenient walk-through design.
- Easy to use and install
- Quick-release detachable gate
- No trip bar
- High-quality steel
- Modern design
- Easy to clean
- May require drilling
- Some may find it bulky
This designer safety gate is a great option for you if you are fond of adding a modern touch to your home and also value the importance of safety and security of your child. This very contemporary gate is made of transparent acrylic that makes your room seem bigger compared to traditional baby gates and lets you have a clear, see﹘ through experience without compromising on your baby’s protection. The safe and effective pressure mount system keeps your walls free of any mess and doubles it as a portable baby gate that can be easily installed at doorways, hallways, and at the bottom of a staircase. It has an indicator to specify if the lock is securely in place. During night time as well, the safety strip will keep your footing safe. Whatmore, this great looking gate can even be extended with additional tools.
- Meets the US, Canadian and European Safety standards
- Comes with baseboard adapters
- Night time glow strip
- Easy operation
- The installation instructions might be challenging
The Comomy Extra Tall Baby Gate is a durable and safe solution for keeping your little ones away from off-limit areas in your home. Designed for doorways and openings up to 48 inches wide, the pressure-mounted gate can be easily installed without drilling or screws. Its extra -tall height of 42 inches makes it a good choice for families with larger breeds of dogs or older children.
- One-handed opening and closing mechanism
- Double locking system for added security
- Auto close mechanism
- Easy to disassemble
- May not be suitable for very wide openings
- May not be as secure as hardware-mounted gates
Keep your little ones safe and secure in any room or at the top or bottom of the stairs with the Ronbei Auto Close Baby Gate. Made of durable and sturdy materials, it features an auto-close function that automatically closes and locks the gate after each use. It also allows one-handed opening and closing for easy access for adults.
- Comes with all the necessary hardware for easy installation
- Adjustable width to fit a variety of doorways and staircases
- Two-way opening
- Multiple lock options for added security
- Small pets can easily slip through the wide openings
- Locking mechanism may not be highly durable
This very stylish wooden baby gate offers your baby good protection and is a great addition to your home decor. It features a strong metal frame with a honey﹘ oak wooden door that can be adjusted for extra wide openings for up to 60 inches. The child gate comes with 3 extensions and includes both a soft auto﹘ close function and the hold open feature when you need to walk through freely. The stoppers prevent the door swinging freely, thus protecting you and your baby from any injury. The integrated gate handle makes opening and closing the gate a smooth affair.
- Extra width
- Auto﹘ close mechanism
- Built in and adjustable door stoppers
- Elegant finish
- The plastic parts may not be very sturdy
How To Choose The Right Safety Gates For Baby?
Consider these factors when choosing a safety gate for babies.
- The Place: While buying your baby gate, it is important to consider the place where you would want to install it. The outward pressure mount gates are easily installable but they aren’t safe around places with railings as the mounts push the railings and make the rails wobbly or even near the stairs as they aren’t suitable for the use due to any accidental impact. Also check for threshold rails at the bottom of the gate; especially if installing at the top of a staircase as it is a serious tripping hazard. Then, the other consideration is whether you want the gate to be installed outdoors or indoors. In an outdoor setting, a durable plastic body is more suited than metal or wood.
Sarah R. Moore, an author and founder of Dandelion Seeds Positive Parenting, says, “Gates can be particularly important at the top and bottom of stairs and other locations where the child might be in danger. But while they can be an important investment in your child’s safety, ensure you do not make a child feel “trapped” inside a room.”
- Solid and sturdy: Babies can be curious and when they see something like a baby gate, they won’t stop at pulling, pushing, leaning, climbing or even bending or biting the gate. So choosing the right one also involves checking if the gate accommodates your baby’s age, height, weight, and even his/her general temperament. If your baby is one of the super adventurous one, you have to be more careful. Give special attention in case your baby has a walker!
- The Locking system: Most older babies and toddlers are clever enough to understand the locking mechanism within a few months, so don’t go for gates which have standard button locks or just an open and lift system. Buy those baby gates which have reliable and childproof locks. It should be difficult enough for a baby but simple enough for an adult to open, something with a larger grip with a slide/pinch or rotate action; especially when the other hand is busy holding the child or something else.
- Retractable Style Gates: If you are going for retractable gates, make sure that you avoid the ones made of wood or the old traditional styled ones that form a diamond when opened. The same holds true for the gates that have bars for pressure locking. They are usually not suitable as there is risk of your little one’s fingers or tiny head getting stuck.
- Easy installation: Go for baby gates that have a simple mechanism for installation. Simple instructions and steps are to be preferred over a complicated set of steps. The gates should also not use too many screws and not need too many wall patches and paint work.
How Should I Measure The Baby Gate?
When you are buying a baby gate, always keep the dimensions of the door in mind so it fits the area and your needs. Generally, a door has an average height of 6 ft. and 8 inches and the width is around 32 inches, so keep this as a base guideline. If your gate extends this guideline, you would need an extension or more to fit the opening. If you are in doubt, always cross check the dimensions before you order the gate and do size up if required. Usually most baby gates come in the range of 28 to 32 inches and the extra tall gates can extend up to 38 inches. However, the greater the height of the gate, the more the weight and the size of screws to be drilled in the wall and the greater the chances of getting hurt if your older toddler is able to climb across and fall.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna has experience in researching and writing for the baby care and parenting segments of the market. She enjoys curating product lists for her readers that can help improve children’s and parents’ lives in small and big ways. Her research process involves understanding the features and benefits of each product and reading through plenty of consumer reviews to decode favorability. In this comprehensive list, she has highlighted the best safety gates for babies to keep them safe and protect them from accidents or injuries. She has also included a buying guide to help you make your choice.These safety gates are available in various designs and are durable, high-quality, and long-lasting.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are baby gates necessary?
Baby gates protect crawling babies from mishaps by restricting their movements (2). You can use the baby gate in doorways or for stairs.
2. When should I start using a baby gate?
You can start using baby gates for your babies between six and 12 months (2). Remove the baby gate if your little one has mastered opening and closing the latch or is trying to climb on the gate.
3. Do I need a baby gate at the bottom and top of the stairs?
Gates are essential at both the top and bottom of stairs to prevent your child from falling accidentally. Ensure that the gates are safety-tested, and are ASTM- or JPMA-certified (2).
4. Do I need a special baby gate for the stairs?
Yes, install hardware- or wall-mounted baby gates at the top of the stairs and pressure-mounted gates at the bottom. Remember that pressure-mounted gates are ideal for doorways and hallways.
Monitoring babies can become challenging while managing household chores and various other tasks. Ensuring they are safe and sound in a secure area becomes difficult. Thus, this list of the best baby safety gates will be of great help and ensure your baby is safe while you attend to other chores. You can choose between hardware- and pressure-mounted gates based on your requirements. Further, ensure that the safety gates are easy to set up and are ideal for indoors and outdoors, according to your needs.
Infographic: How To Use Panel-Style Baby Gates And Play Yards?
Panel-style baby gates are safety barriers that provide a secure environment for toddlers while offering the convenience of doubling up as a play yard. However, they need to be installed and used in a stipulated manner to enhance their safety quotient. Explore the infographic below to learn how to use panel-style baby gates properly.
- Gates and Enclosures Business Guidance and Small Entity Compliance Guide.
- Choosing Safe Baby Products: Gates.