The best baby scale can help you monitor their health to ensure proper growth and development. If you’re a new parent, you have many responsibilities, the primary one being keeping a regular check on their health. Baby weighing scales are great for measuring their weight to ensure that they meet their developmental milestones. They are useful in the initial years of your baby’s life.
Your pediatrician will keep a check on your baby’s weight when you go for routine health checkups and rule out potential health risks that a slow weight gain might indicate. However, if you like to be aware and updated about your baby’s growth and wish to stay in charge, you will need a baby scale at home. Here are a few of the recommended ones available in the market to choose the right baby scale that suits your needs.
No products Found
13 Best Baby Scales To Buy
This baby weighing machine makes it to the top of our list for all the right reasons. It is a 2-in-1 baby and toddler scale, which means once your child outgrows the tray, the scale can be easily converted from a tray to a teddy bear-shaped digital scale with a maximum capacity of 60 lb. This infant tray includes a Hold feature that allows you to record the accurate weight even when your baby moves on the scale. All while the Zero Out button subtracts the weight of the clothing or diaper. This baby scale measures 12.6 x 9.1 x 23 inches and can hold your infant in both sitting and lying positions. Here’s an honest review of the baby scale from a tester’s experience.
- Measures weight in 0.5-ounce increments
- Easy-to-read large LCD
- Comes with a growth chart book
- The security lock in the tray ensures added stability.
- Does not come with batteries
2. Best Comfortable: Beurer BY80 Digital Baby Scale
Keep track of your baby’s growth and development with the Beurer BY80 Digital Baby Scale. A trusted choice for moms, this high-quality scale features a stable platform for your little one to lie on, ensuring accurate and consistent measurements every time. Additionally, the digital display provides easy-to-read results, with the option to switch between kilograms and pounds. Also, the scale’s tare function allows you to weigh your baby with or without clothes.
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Rubber feet offers stability
- Auto-off function conserves battery life
- Large and comfortable platform for babies to lie on
- No memory function
- Battery operated
3. Best Multi-Functional: iSnow-Med Baby Scale
The iSnow-Med Baby Scale is the perfect solution for parents and healthcare professionals looking for a reliable scale. This digital scale is designed to provide precise measurements every time and has a capacity of up to 44 pounds. The tried-and-tested scale displays the weight in both pounds and kilograms and has a durable, high-quality construction.
- Multi-functional digital scale for babies, infants, pets, etc.
- Accurate measurement of weight, height, and head circumference
- Has a large, easy-to-read LCD
- Non-slip platform
- Lightweight and portable
- Battery may drain out quickly
Looking for baby weighing scales that will help you keep track of your baby’s weight and height? Then this one by MomMed is an ideal choice for you! This scale can measure the weight in kilograms and pounds and has a maximum capacity of 220 lb (100 kg). It comes with an additional feature that helps you measure your little one’s height with the help of the height measuring markings on the inside of the tray. While the concave, rounded design of the tray will prevent your child from sliding off, the swivel lock feature at the bottom will enable you to lock the tray with the scale, making it stable, safe, and effective. This scale can also be used to measure your toddler’s or pet’s weight. Watch this video to learn more about the product.
- Touch sensor
- Includes Hold and Zero features
- Comes with 2 AAA batteries
- Large backlit LCD display
- 4 high precision sensors provide stable readings
- May not be durable
From the makers of some of the best health and wellness-based electronic devices comes this baby scale designed to calculate the weight of your tiny tot. Thanks to the large, easy-to-read LCD and the curved platform with raised edges, this machine is comfortable and convenient to use for both the parents and baby. It has a minimum and maximum weight capacity of 2 lb and 45 lb, respectively, and weighs in 0.2 oz. increments to ensure the utmost accuracy. In addition to that, it comes equipped with a Tare function that helps calculate your child’s weight without taking into account the additional weight of a diaper, toy, or any clothing. Learn about the features of the trusted product in this short video.
- Multifunctional weighing device
- Includes 2 AA batteries
- Non-slip rubber feet
- Auto and manual Hold and Lock function
- Unit of measurement in pound, kilogram, and ounce
- May not last for long
Ideal for babies up to 12 months old, this Ultrababy Scale by My Weigh features a cradle weighing tray where you can lay your baby down to check their weight. This tried-and-tested scale also comes with a letter holder and mail tube holder attachments that allow you to use this scale as an office or a shipping scale. It is to be noted that the baby weighing tray is detachable, making it easy for you to connect the other attachments. This scale has 4 weighing modes – gram, kilogram, ounce, and pound.
- Has Hold and Tare features
- Programmable auto on/off functionality
- Compatible with the MyWeigh app
- Removable and mountable backlit remote LCD with 2 ft flex cord
- May require calibration
7. Best High-Precision Sensor: bblüv – Kilö – Precise Digital Baby Scale
The bblüv Kilö Precise Digital Baby Scale is the ideal tool for tracking your baby’s growth and development. Its high-precision sensor and LCD screen make it easy to read the measurements, and the wide, smooth, and curved platform lets you comfortably cradle the baby. You can trust this scale to provide accurate and reliable readings for years.
- Durable and sturdy design
- Auto shut off function
- Ergonomic design
- Versatile and accurate
- May not come with instructions or user manual
- Digital display may be difficult to read in low light conditions
If your newborn is a wiggler, which makes it difficult for you to get an accurate measurement on the kitchen scale, then it’s high time you invested in a smart baby scale such as this one. It features a proprietary settling algorithm, so even when your baby moves, this device manages to lock onto a reading within a few seconds. The best part is that your baby’s measurements can be synced to its Smart Baby app via Bluetooth, helping you keep track of the measurements on your phone. Featuring a removable tray, this scale can be converted to a toddler scale when your little one outgrows the baby scale. This mom-approved scale measures weight in 5 g increments and can show measurements in 3 modes (lb, kg, and oz).
- Comes with 4 AAA batteries
- Maximum capacity of 66 lb
- Large reverse backlit display
- The collapsible weighing tray makes for convenient storage.
- Slightly expensive
- May not be suitable for pre or post-feed weigh-ins
9. Best Compact: Motorola Smart Nursery Baby & Me Scale
The high-tech and smart tool by Motorola lets you keep track of your baby’s weight and growth. Its advanced technology lets you transmit data to your smartphone to check your child’s progress and development over time. You can choose between two weighing modes–baby and me mode to weigh the combined weight of your baby and you and a normal mode to check the weight of each member of your family.
- Easy-to-read LCD
- User-friendly interface
- Built-in memory function
- Slim and compact design
- Three-minute waiting time before the next reading
- Battery may drain out fast
A weighing scale that will allow you to check your baby’s weight while you’re holding them? Yes, please! This device features a Mother and Baby mode designed for those who are too afraid or uncomfortable to lay their little one on the tray initially. This is how it works: step on the scale to lock in your weight, then step on the scale with your baby in your arms to record this weight, and finally, when you get off, your baby’s weight will be displayed. Easy, isn’t it? Aside from that, this machine also includes a bunny head-blocking board with a string that is stored on the bottom of the scale. With this, you can easily check your child’s height (displayed on the screen) by just pulling it up from the base. This trusted scale can be used as a baby or toddler scale by merely attaching or detaching the tray from it.
- 220 lb weight capacity
- Includes Tare and Hold functions
- Measures in metric or imperial units
- 4 high precision sensors provide accurate readings
- The reading on the backlit display can turn 180° automatically.
- Might not work well for breastfeeding intake measurements
Much like many other baby weight scales, this one also grows along with your baby. This means that it can be easily converted into a regular scale once your baby outgrows the infant weighing tray. All you have to do is detach the tray from the scale. This digital scale operates on 2 AA batteries and also includes a USB charging port. It gives stable readings and helps you monitor your baby’s weight in lb, kg, or oz units and height up to 27.55 inches (70 cm). The tray is long and has an Arc design, which makes it both safe and effective with optimum comfort and support.
- Non-slip base of the scale offers stability
- Hold and Tare functions ensure accurate measurements
- The tray features tape measurements.
- Its large backlit LCD makes it easy to read in the dark.
- May take longer to display weight if your baby is moving a lot
Whether you are a pregnant woman or want to monitor your child’s growth from infancy to toddlerhood, this multifunctional digital scale is sure to come handy. Besides, this mom-approved device allows you to weigh your baby between feeds to make sure they are getting adequate breast milk. It has a weighing range between 50 and 100 g and measures in 10 g increments. Plus, with just a press of a button, you can shift between different units of measurements (kg, lb, or oz). This scale calculates the weight and height measurements (built-in scale) of your baby accurately despite light movements. Made of ABS plastic, the tray is easy to install with the help of lock design and can be removed during storage. A notable feature of this device is that if there is no operation for a minute, it shuts off automatically.
- Sturdy and durable
- LCD backlit screen
- Non-slip base
- 2 AAA batteries included
- Tare feature minuses extra weight for precise reading
- The concave design of the tray provides comfort and safety.
- Might fluctuate if your baby moves too much
If you have a cranky infant who does not stay still and moves about too much during the weighing process, this baby scale might be helpful. It features a Hold function that allows you to lock in the weight as soon as it’s displayed. All while the Zero function cancels out any additional weight to provide precise readings, allowing you to lay your baby on a blanket and not worry about inaccuracy. It features a large LCD screen with a bright backlight that makes it easy to read the numbers from any angle or in a dark place. This scale comes with 2 AAA batteries and 2 pieces of trays that are easy to install and uninstall.
- Sensitive touch button for ease of use
- Built-in height measurements
- Reinforces surface ensures stability
- Can be converted into toddler/adult scale
- Switchable units of measurement – kg, oz, lb
- The tray tends to swing.
Before you decide to buy a baby scale, let’s look at a few points that will help you pick the right one.
How To Choose The Right Baby Scale?
- Weighing tray: The first and foremost item to look for when buying a baby weighing scale is the weighing tray or pan. This is the part that holds your baby comfortably and safely, so make sure you opt for a tray that has a concave design and smooth, rounded edges.
- Weight range: Opt for a model that has a higher weighing capacity so that you can use it during your child’s growing years, from infancy to toddlerhood. Scales that have 220 lb capacity can be used by adults too.
- Accuracy: To ensure you get accurate readings every time you measure your baby, you have to pick a scale with a good accuracy rating. Most baby scales come with ratings that range between 5 to 15 g.
- Unit of measurement: Always choose a scale that displays weight in different units of measurement such as grams, kilograms, pounds, and ounce. This will help you pick the unit of your preference, avoiding manual conversions and saving time.
- Tare/Zero Out function: No matter what model you pick, make sure it comes with a Tare function. One of the most important features in a baby scale, this will subtract the extra weight of your baby’s diaper, clothes, and blanket to give you the actual body weight of your baby.
- Hold function: It’s a known fact that unless your baby is sleeping soundly, they won’t stay still on the tray; they are always squirming and wiggling around. Hence, it can be difficult to get a precise measurement. This is where the Hold function comes in handy. Once you press the button, it will record your baby’s accurate weight without fluctuating during every movement.
- Additional features: There are a couple of extra features you could consider while buying a scale. Check whether it has height measurement markings or includes a tape measure, enabling you to track the height of your baby. Also, some scales can be connected to your phone or app, helping you monitor the growth conveniently.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is experienced in writing on pregnancy and baby-related products as she is a mother herself. She has done sufficient research to bring you this list of the best baby scales that you can use. Her selection of products is based on several online reviews, testers’ experiences, and ratings from consumers. Vibha has also created a buying guide, so you have no confusion in picking the right product.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often should a baby be measured?
Once your baby is two weeks old, you can start weighing them once a month up to six months, once every two months when they are six-month- to one-year-old, and once every three months after they are over the age of one (1).
Holly Peretz, a pediatric occupational therapist and mom, says, “Remember that monitoring a child’s growth and holistic development should happen with the support of your healthcare provider. Weight is only one aspect of early growth and development that should be monitored.”
2. Which scale is more accurate, a digital scale or a dial scale?
Typically, a digital scale is more accurate than a dial scale.
3. Are there different weight charts for boys and girls?
Yes, the weight charts for boys and girls differ as their growth pattern is slightly different and boys tend to be a little heavier and taller than girls (1).
Baby scales are essential tools for new parents as they help you keep track of your little one’s growth. You may use a baby scale to weigh your baby once every two weeks so that you have a clear idea of whether they are gaining or losing weight. Buying the right machine means ensuring it has a suitable weighing tray, the proper weight range, result accuracy, a hold function, and other features you might need. The options listed here are sturdy, durable, and easy to read, so you can make sure your baby is healthy.
Infographic: How To Use A Baby Scale Properly?
Baby scales or weighing machines are designed to accurately measure and monitor the weight of infants, ensuring their growth and development are closely tracked. However, they need to be used correctly to ensure utmost accuracy and prevent product damage. Refer to the infographic below to learn how to use a baby scale properly.