When stepping outdoors with your munchkin, you would need the best baby sunglasses to protect their eyes from the glaring UV rays of the sun and let them make a fashion statement.
A mere sunscreen lotion cannot do the trick. Sunglasses are specifically designed to make your little ones feel comfortable when wearing them on a sunny day. Scroll down to check out the list of some well-designed sunglasses that we have compiled for your little one. We also tell you how to choose the best sunglasses.
Our Top Picks
15 Best Sunglasses For Babies
1. Best UV Protection: FCTRY Hipsterkid Baby Sunglasses
If you’re looking for a sporty, sturdy pair of sunglasses that will stand the test of heat and time, this one should be your go-to choice. The frame is constructed with sturdy plastic that is free from BPA, phthalates, and PVC, making it safe and durable. Every frame comes with a strap that attaches to the arms of the glasses and holds the sunglasses in place.
- Lenses offer 100% UV protection
- Polarized to provide glare protection
- Shatter-resistant lenses make them a great choice for active babies
- Frame is bendable and flexible
- Available in bright colors
- Might run slightly small
- Lenses may not be dark enough
2. Best Durable Lenses: Roshambo Baby Shades
Stylish and functional sunglasses like these can make it easier for your baby to stay outdoors without feeling any eye strain. This particular model comes with two options for the lens: standard or polarized. While the sunglasses are 25% more lightweight than a few other baby sunglass brands, the frame is durable and made from high-quality flexible plastic.
- Lenses do not get damaged
- Provides protection against UVA, B, and C rays
- Does not break even if your baby drops it or handles it roughly
- Available in multiple colors
- Arms are easily bendable for comfort
- May be too small for some babies
- Might not be suitable for wearing in water
3. Best Mirror-Coated Lens: Cocosand Baby Sunglasses
The baby-safe and environmentally friendly pair of sunglasses features a frame that is entirely made from flexible plastic. If your baby loves fidgeting with things, they can bend the frame right down the center without managing to break it. Even the lenses are shatter-resistant and covered with a mirror-like coating at the front that blocks out any harsh glare, keeping your little one cool and comfy on sunny days.
- Made with non-toxic plastic
- Frame has an elastic strap with ample stretchability
- Makes for a comfortable headband
- Available in many bright colors
- Comes with a soft microfiber pouch for easy portability
- Strap might leave light indentations when worn for a long time
- Might be more suitable for babies up to five months
4. Best For Everyday Wear: Kushies Toddler Sunglasses
For travel bug parents who love spending time outdoors, these sunglasses are meant for your baby to wear every day without experiencing any discomfort. The frame is made from high-quality DuPont rubber that is durable and resistant to damage from everyday use, while the arms of the sunglasses are bendable and virtually unbreakable.
- Provides 100% protection against harmful UV rays
- Meets specifications of American Optometric Association
- Scratch-resistant coating
- Available in various colors
- May be slightly big for some babies
- May tend to slip once in a while
5. Best For Babies And Toddlers: Bib-On Vintage-Best Sunglasses
Available in a variety of sizes to fit babies and toddlers, these sunglasses are a classic choice for most parents. They are made from rubberized plastic, which is resistant to damage. What we love most about the pair, though, is the matte finish of the plastic that protects against fingerprints and dirt stains.
- Sunglasses are available in more than 20 colors
- Plastic lenses are impact resistant and offer 100% UV protection
- Ships with high-quality microfiber cloth and a carrying pouch for safe storage
- Classic vintage style can be paired with any outfit
- May be slightly loose around the nose for some
- May be more suited to older children
6. Best Flexible: Kushies Sunglasses For Babies
Pamper your angel with the greatest level of comfort no matter where you go with this pair of ultra-flexible sunglasses designed in varied sizes. Suitable for newborn babies and toddlers alike, the pair comes with a plastic frame that is not only bendable but virtually indestructible, making it ideal for active babies.
- Material is free from BPA, PVC, phthalate, and lead
- Lenses block 100% of UV rays
- Meets specifications set by the American Optometric Association
- Polycarbonate impact- and scratch-resistant lens
- Babies might be able to take them off easily
- May be slightly tight over the nose for some
7. Best Weight Distribution: Tuga Baby Sunglasses
Designed to prevent headaches when your baby’s spending a sunny day out, these glasses come with a removable elastic headband wide enough to distribute the weight evenly across all sides. Each set includes two headband straps – one small and another large to accommodate the growing head of the baby.
- Lenses are made from shatterproof polycarbonate
- Ships with convenient carrying case for every set
- Strap and sunglasses both fit into the case comfortably
- Available in six vivid colors
- Lenses provide 100% protection against UV rays
- Might leave slight marks around the baby’s temples
- Adjuster may be heavy
8. Best Overall Protection: Rivbos Rubber Polarized Sunglasses
Bring home classic summer vibes with these bright and colorful sunglasses that are specially designed for older toddlers. The frame is made from soft, rubberized plastic, which is flexible and impossible to break. It can withstand twisting and bending by fidgety babies without much damage to the arms.
- Lenses protect the eyes not just from UV but also blue spectrum light
- Lenses are polarized and resistant to smudges
- Loop attached to the arms of the frame holds the sunglasses in their place
- Pair does not slip off easily
- Lenses may pop off sometimes but can be reattached
- Strap might not be flexible enough for some
9. Best Stylish: Babiators Unisex Original Aviator Sunglasses
Your kid will look like the life of the pool party with these stylish and bright-colored sunglasses. With durable frames and flexible plastic construction, the pair can endure rough handling by the baby. In addition to offering 100% protection against UVA and UVB rays, the lenses are impact-resistant and do not shatter with ease.
- High-quality build
- Does not contain any toxic materials
- Free from BPA and phthalate
- Unisex design varies by size according to age
- May slide down for babies with smaller noses
- Might be slightly larger than expected
10. Best Secure: Real Shades Explorer Sunglasses
This pair is popular among parents thanks to the on-trend design, secure headband, and easily adjustable strap that lets you find the right fit for your baby’s growing head. It has a wrap-around frame with arms angled such that they curve around the head and keep the glasses in place. These sunglasses offer 100% protection against UV rays.
- Lenses are made from durable polycarbonate material
- You can choose from a variety of colors
- Unisex design suitable for all toddlers
- Adds a pop of color to any outfit
- Sides of the glasses may be slightly long for some
- Might have to size up
11. Best Adjustable: Banz Advernture Banz Sunglasses
This pair comes with a removable headband that can be adjusted according to the size of the baby’s head. The band and the frame come in matching colors, while the Velcro pads on the headband snugly fit the head to keep the sunglasses in their place. What we love about these is that the headband is made from a moisture-wicking material to keep the sweat off your little one.
- No chemicals used in the making of the band
- Wrap-around design offers UV-protection to the eyes from sides as well
- Plastic lenses are resistant to impact
- Provides 100% UV protection and minimizes glare
- May be more suited to older toddlers
- Strap might not be adjustable enough
12. Best Glare-Free Lens: TIJN Kids Flexible Toddler Sunglasses
These stylish sunglasses with circular lenses are designed for toddlers who love to explore the outdoors in summer. The frame and arms are made from flexible rubber, and rubber hinges are also used to attach the arms to the frame. Toddlers can bend the sunglasses any way they want without causing damage.
- Lenses are polarized to eliminate glare
- Rubber frame is comfortable for toddlers
- Impact- and shatter-resistant construction
- Polarized lenses maintain color integrity and offer 100% UV protection
- Children might take them off easily
- Might run small for some
13. Best Non-Toxic: Minishade Flexible Toddler Sunglasses
Shield your baby from the sun without exposing them to any toxic chemicals or materials. These sunglasses contain no traces of lead, BPA, PVC, or phthalate, and provide 100% protection from harmful UV light.
- Comes with a flexible and robust frame
- Babies can twist arms without causing damage
- Designed for active babies and can withstand rough play
- Lenses are polarized for added protection
- Might look small on some babies’ faces
- May not suit older children
14. Best Unisex: Carter’s Protected Baby Sunglasses
These sunglasses are available in a unisex design as well as an exclusive selection for boys. Not only do the lenses provide 100% protection against UV rays, but they are also durable and shatter-resistant. The frame is made from materials that are comfortable and skin-friendly.
- Ideal for long day of wear
- Available in assorted colors with eye-catching graphics
- Stylish and trendy design
- Comes in a pack of two
- Lenses might be slightly loose for some
- Lens tint may not be dark enough
15. Best Reversible: Julbo Looping Baby Sunglasses
The best part about these sunglasses from Julbo is that they are reversible, which gives them a unique edge over other options. This means the baby can wear it any side up without it looking out of place. There are no hinges in the sunglasses, which means there are fewer moving parts. Also, they are designed with an ergonomic profile that offers great grip around the head.
- Wraparound design covers the eye completely
- Prevents stray rays of sunlight from entering
- Removable elastic cord forms a comfortable headband
- Lenses are shock-resistant and protect from UVA, UVB, and UVC rays
- May be slightly snug for older toddlers
- Sides may be long
Do Babies Need Sunglasses?
Yes. The American Academy of Ophthalmology states that there is no reason why babies cannot wear sunglasses as long as the glasses meet the ANSI Z80.3 standards (1). Sunglasses protect the eyes from the ultraviolet rays, which can have damaging effects on the eyes (2). The right pair of sunglasses for a baby:
- Prevents degeneration of eye tissue and vision complications
- Prevents complex eye problems such as glaucoma and cataracts
- Makes it easier for the baby to see through intense sunlight by blocking the glare
- Prevents burning of the eye tissue, which is like a sunburn of the eye
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends sunglasses during winter too, to protect the eyes from the UV rays that bounce off the snow (3). That said, when can you buy the baby’s first pair of sunglasses?
What Is The Right Age To Start Using Sunglasses?
Babies can wear sunglasses right from the first month of their life. However, infants should ideally be kept out of direct sunlight until they are at least six-months-old (4). You can use accessories like an umbrella or a stroller canopy to prevent direct exposure to the sunlight. Once your baby is older than six months, you may consider sunglasses, especially when visiting places like a beach that have intense sunlight.
Your baby deserves nothing but the best of sunglasses that protect those beautiful eyes. Next, we tell you how to choose them.
How To Choose Sunglasses For Babies?
Check for the following features when selecting sunglasses for babies:
- UVA and UVB protection: Sunglasses should protect the eyes from the ultraviolet rays of both type A and B. Pick sunglasses that state at least 95% UV protection, which means the lens must be coated with a material that will filter out 95% of UVA and UVB rays. It is even better if you can get a pair of glasses that offer 100% protection from these rays.
- Suitable tint: Pick a tint that is ideal for the place of use. Darker tints are better for places with a lot of reflected sunlight, like the beach. Lighter tints can work great for visits to the park.
- Shatter-resistant lenses: These lenses do not break even when subjected to daily rough use. They are made from durable polycarbonate. Look for words like ‘shatter-resistant,’ ‘shatter-proof,’ and ‘impact-resistant’ in the description.
- Plastic or rubber frame material: These materials are flexible and can even withstand a fall. You will also find sunglasses made from plastic and rubber, with smooth edges that do not dig into the baby’s skin.
- Right size: Since the baby’s sunglasses are small, most manufacturers mention the length of the frame in millimeters. However, not all manufacturers follow standardized measurements. So, check the size of the sunglasses and if required measure the baby’s face from one edge of the eyebrow to another before selecting one.
- Frame design with maximum coverage: Pick a frame shape that fits well on your baby’s face and cuts off sunlight even from the corners.
- Headband: An attached headband keeps the sunglasses in their place and also prevents the baby from pulling off the sunglasses.
- Polarization is a good choice: Polarized lenses are excellent at filtering out glare when sunlight reflects from objects and surfaces. Choose only polarized baby sunglasses when planning to visit a beach or spending time around an outdoor pool.
Why Trust MomJunction?
If you’re looking for the best sunglasses for your babies, here is a list of the highest-rated ones that are worth checking out. We have conducted in-depth research and have sifted through various websites and forums to narrow your options. Our article also includes a buying guide and answers a few common questions about using sunglasses for babies. The products listed in this article are of premium quality and durable.
When you’re headed to the beach for a fun day or take your baby along while shopping in summer, sunglasses can protect their eyes from harmful UV rays. Therefore, when buying baby sunglasses, it is recommended that you pick one that offers at least 95% protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Sunglasses are available in many tints. You can invest in lighter tints for shaded areas and dark tints when your child is directly under sunlight.
2. Use sunglasses for vision protection starting at an early age; Harvard Medical School
3. 10 Reasons Kids Should Wear Sunglasses in Winter; American Academy of Pediatrics
4. Sun Safety: Information for Parents About Sunburn & Sunscreen; American Academy of Pediatrics
View Profile ›