Around six months, most babies begin to show signs of being ready to explore the world of solid foods. It is natural, as a parent, to want the very best for your little one. And that likely brings you here—on the hunt for the best baby utensils! Whether you want to feed the baby yourself or prepare them for self-feeding, these utensils can add fun and excitement to their mealtime.
These ergonomic utensils are also great for improving your child’s motor skills. Keep scrolling as we list some utensils that can help make your child more independent as they explore the exciting variety of foods during mealtimes. The options on this list are tried-and-tested, lightweight, easy to grip, and made of food-safe materials.
15 Best Baby Utensils To Make Mealtime Fun And Exciting In 2024
1. Best Non-Toxic: Grabease First Self-Feed Baby Utensils
Encourage your child to self-feed with this baby training spoon and fork set from Grabease. These are crafted with food-grade, safe material that is harmless and does not carry any foul smell, making them a trusted choice. The cloud feature on the fork and the spoon help prevent gagging or choking in babies. Their soft and sturdy plastic is safe for the toddler’s gentle gums.Their soft and high-quality plastic is safe for the toddler’s gentle gums. Check out this video on review YouTube for a detailed understanding of this mom-tested product via the tester’s experience.
- Ergonomic and grippy handle
- Easy and firm grip
- BPA-free plastic
- May break easily
Why It’s Worth Buying: Over 12,139 satisfied customers on Amazon have said good things about the product via their unbiased reviews.
2. Best BPA-Free: Constructive Eating Garden Fairy Utensil & Plate Combo
This utensil set by Constructive Eating is manufactured with baby-friendly materials free of lead, PVC, phthalates, and BPA. The set contains a fork, spoon, pusher, and a purple-hued plate with divisions based on the garden theme and is suitable for children between 18 months and four years. It aims to make mealtime more interesting and fueled with fantasy while facilitating the child to develop their fine motor and self-feeding skills.
- Meets CPSIA standards
- Easy for small hands to grip
- Plates might be smaller than expected
- Theme may not interest all children alike
3. Best Durable:Kiddobloom Stainless Steel Baby Spoon Set
If you are tired of chipping paints and plastic-based toddler feeding utensils, try this cutlery set by Kiddobloom set. The set includes two spoons, two forks, and a butter spreader made of durable 18/8 stainless steel. These cutleries have smooth edges and the fork’s rounded tips keep them from poking or hurting your baby. Additionally, they have a baby-friendly ergonomic shape and narrow fronts that make it easy to feed the baby.
- Non-toxic and odorless
- Stain-resistant surface
- CPSIA- and FDA-compliant
- Packaged in an elegant gift box
- Might be smaller than expected
- Fork tines may not be suitable for certain food items
Grabease First Self-Feed Baby Utensils
Constructive Eating Garden Fairy Utensil & Plate Combo
Kiddobloom Stainless Steel Baby Spoon Set
|3.15 x 0.79 x 3.15 inches
|1 x 1 x 1 inches
|7 x 5.8 x 1.3 inches
4. Best Hypoallergenic: Avanchy Bamboo Baby Bowl And Spoon
Avanchy bamboo infant spoon and bowl set is made of BPA-, BPS-, lead- and phthalate-free materials, making it a trusted choice. The training cup and spoon feature a complementary color scheme, and the spoon’s soft tip feels tender on the baby’s gum. Its firm suction bottom with stay-put design fits most high chairs. Go ahead and check out this YouTuber’s video review for more details about the product via the tester’s experience.
- Non-slip design
- Easy to clean
- Suction may not work well
Why It’s Worth Buying: The 3,145 positive customer reviews on Amazon showcase that this product has been trusted, tested, and liked by many.
PrimaStella’s dad-and-mom-approved toddler and baby spoon set is made of dishwasher-safe and food-grade silicone for easy cleaning and maintenance and is also safe for your baby. It includes six colorful, soft, and flexible spoons with a textured tip to soothe teething pain. These toddler-friendly silicone spoons encourage self-feeding and are suitable for feeding purees, yogurt, and other soft foods to your baby.
- BPA- and lead-free
- Freezer- and microwave-safe
- Easy-grip handle
- Suitable for dipping and scooping
- Might be deeper than expected
- Colors might vary
6. Best With Heat Sensor: Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoons
These feeding spoons are manufactured by Munchkin, a baby care specialist brand. The spoons are created using patented technology and come with heat sensor-enabled tips that become white when the food is too hot — 110 °F and above — for the baby to consume. Besides, the tips of these spoons are soft enough to keep your baby’s gums safe. The handles are manufactured with stainless steel and can withstand thorough cleansing.
- Made of durable material
- Tapered design suitable for little mouths
- Free of BPA and phthalates
- Available in four attractive colors
- Some may find the spoon’s scoop shallow
- May not be suitable for baby-led weaning
7. Best Ergonomic: Elk and Friends Kids Spoons + Forks With Silicone Handle
Elk and Friends bring you this set of three training spoons and three fun and colorful forks to help make self-feeding effortless for your little ones. The tips of the cutlery are made of food-grade stainless steel, while the handles are made of food-safe silicone. Moreover, the spoons and forks have baby-friendly narrow tips and ergonomic anti-slip handles.
- Deep spoons with adequate scoop capacity
- Textured handles for sensory pleasure
- May be heavy for some infants
- Forks might be a bit sharp
8. Best Silicone-Based: Bumkins Chewtensils Baby Fork and Spoon Set
Ideal for the first stage of baby-led weaning, this adorable set of one self-feeding spoon and one fork helps teach babies the art of holding cutlery and eating independently. As they are silicone-based and feature a sensory bump, your little one can also use them like a teething toy to soothe their itchy gums. Lastly, the silicone spoon and fork have a baby-friendly chunky design that is ideal for little hands.
- Has a choke barrier for safety
- Free of BPA, phthalates, and lead
- Dishwasher-friendly and easy to clean
- Meets CPSIA safety standards
- Some may find the fork a bit soft
- Spoon may not scoop well
9. Best Mess-Free: mushie Square Dinnerware Plates For Kids
If you are looking for baby utensils with a minimalistic design, you may opt for this elegant dinnerware set by mushie. It contains two square plates with elevated rims for a mess-free experience. In addition, the plates are made of 100% polypropylene plastic, which is BPA-free, making them baby-friendly and mom-approved.
- Rounded corners for safety
- Sober colors
- May be big for some toddlers
- May retain food odor
10. Best Eco-Friendly: UpwardBaby Feeding Supplies For Toddlers
The daddy-and-mommy-approved set includes a suction plate bowl, three spoons, three bibs with a food catcher, and one suction placemat to support the utensils. With ribbed silicone handles for firm grip, the spoon has sensory bumps to help stimulate your baby’s tongue and gums. It also has a ventilated anti-choke guard for the child’s safety.
- BPA- and BPS-free
- PVC- and lead-free
- Phthalate- and cadmium-free
- Freezer- and microwave-safe
- May have an unpleasant smell
11. Best FDA-Compliant:ECR4Kids My First Meal Pal Toddler Forks
- Promotes self-feeding
- Ergonomic design
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Round edges
- Silicone end may not be chip-resistant
12. Best Simple Design: Babelio New Basics Silicone Toddler Plates
These toddler forks can be a trusted choice for those seeking FDA- and CSPIA-compliant utensils for their little one. They are BPA-free and their easy-to-grip handle is specially designed keeping small hands in mind, making them baby-friendly. The expert-approved forks can be easily cleaned in the dishwasher, saving time and effort.
- Mess-free square design
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Rounded corners and smooth surface
- Doesn’t emit any smell upon heating in the microwave
- May not have a suction-enabled base
13. Best Bendable: Cosy Casa Baby Utensils
Cosy Casa’s two-set travel-friendly toddler spoon and fork come in a safe storage box to protect them from dust and dirt. Their flexible silicone handles are bendable left or right, so the baby can adjust to their eating style. Promoting hand-eye coordination and motor skills, the set comprises food-grade PP material, TPE, and steel wire for flexibility.
- Lead-and latex-free
- Versatile design
- Fork may be small
14. Best Microwave-Safe: Blissbury Silicone Baby Plate
The durable and sensibly designed set includes a grooved plate, a fork, and a toddler spoon. This elegant set from Blissbury is easy to clean and dishwasher-safe. Available in a multi-color beautiful design, this set can promote happy mealtime for your child.
- BPA- and PVC-free
- Lead- and phthalate-free
- Freezer- and microwave-safe
- Suction may not be strong
15. Best Travel-Friendly: Novos Upgraded Baby Utensils
Crafted from BPA-free and food-grade material, this cute fork and spoon set comes in a well-packed box. The curved shape of the soft silicone baby spoon helps your baby scoop the right amount of food. Its flexible 360° curved handles allow eating with left or right hand comfortably.
- Smooth surface
- Easy to wash
- Not dishwasher-safe
How To Choose The Right Baby Utensils?
Here are a few points to consider before you purchase baby utensils.
- Design: Utensils should be small and designed as per the baby’s convenience so it is easy for the child to eat.
According to Emily Parker, a parenting blogger, “Forks and spoons with textured silicone and cups with dual handles help your baby have a good grip and prevent the utensils from being dropped. The grip is everything, and you want to ensure your baby can easily hold and handle the utensils at mealtimes.”
- Material: Look for utensils made of soft material so that the babies do not hurt themselves. Spoons and forks made of silicone or soft plastic are safer for toddlers and protect the child’s delicate gums.
- Safety: Pick utensils that follow the safety standards and are made without toxic chemicals, such as BPA, lead, and phthalate.
- Size: The size of the plate should be big enough to prevent food splatters. The spoon should fit comfortably into the baby’s hands and mouth.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I give baby utensils to my children?
Experts recommend introducing utensils between ten and12 months, as babies start grabbing and holding things.
2. When should a child drink from a cup?
Children can start drinking from cups when they are about nine months old and show signs of readiness.
3. How should I teach my baby to use a spoon?
When the baby starts to eat food on their own, you can start using the hand-over-hand method. Once you place your hands over theirs, guide them to scoop the food. Allow them to handle it independently once the food is on the spoon.
Emily Parker, says, “You can also just leave the spoon on their tray and let them explore how to hold it and use it. Not only will it allow them independence, but it will also provide some entertainment so you can eat your meal in peace.”
4. Why should I let my baby use a spoon at mealtime?
Using a spoon at mealtime helps them develop their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, a mother and product writer focusing on baby products and related items, has enlisted the best baby utensils available online. She chose these products after scouring numerous user reviews and product listings. She has also explained the pros and cons of each product and how to choose the right one for your child. These ergonomic and attractive utensils may make it easier for parents to feed their babies.
With the best baby utensils at your disposal, you can now encourage your child to eat independently. These colorful forks and spoons are usually ergonomically designed to make eating fun and easy. Picking one involves scouting for utensils that are BPA-free, FDA-approved, durable, and dishwasher and microwave-friendly. Also, it is crucial to check if the utensils are designed to prevent choking, are suitable for your child’s age, and are compatible with the food they are going to eat.
Infographic: What Are The Various Kinds Of Baby Utensils?
Baby utensils are eating tools that make it easier to feed infants and help them develop their self-feeding skills with safety and ease. Understanding the different categories can assist you in selecting the ones that best suit your child’s needs. Explore the infographic below to discover the various types of baby utensils to make an informed choice.
- Sonya L. Cameron et al.; How Feasible Is Baby-Led Weaning as an Approach to Infant Feeding? A Review of the Evidence; Nutrients; NCBI (2012),
- Fingers, Spoons, Forks, and Cups; CDC (2021),
- Best Suction Bowls For Babies
- Best Silicone Cooking Utensils
- Best Bottle Sterilizers For Babies
- Best Wooden Spoons