If your child has recently learned to take their first few steps, you will notice that they walk in no time. Allowing your munchkin to wear the best baby walking shoes will protect their sensitive feet when walking. These baby walking shoes are made to keep their feet safe and comfortable while still providing the necessary grip to prevent them from falling.
Purchasing the baby’s first pair of walking shoes is an entirely different experience, which is why we’ve compiled a list of some adorable baby walking shoes. It will assist you in selecting the ideal pair of shoes with the proper sole, shoe size, and fit. The post also discusses the benefits and buying guide for making the buying process easier.
No products Found
13 Best Baby Walking Shoes
1. Best Comfortable: Ikiki Squeaky Shoes for Toddlers
Bring home these cute baby walking shoes with ankle support. The single-strap pattern makes them comfortable walking shoes for babies. To make it easy to put on the right shoe on the right foot, each sole base comes in a different color. These squeaky shoes help parents keep track of their children.
- Made of breathable synthetic fabric
- Come with a squeaker switch
- High top to provide good support
- Unique design to encourage heel-to-toe walking
- Available in various color combinations
- May squeak only when the baby jumps
- Squeaker may be fragile
2. Best Breathable: peggy piggy Baby Walking Shoes
These sneakers by peggy piggy are easy to wear due to their slip-on design and are designed for walking. They come with soft memory foam insoles, which don’t require frequent replacement. In addition, these slip-on walking shoes are breathable and lightweight, making them convenient for toddlers.
- Come with rubber soles
- Ultra-soft footbed
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Velcro strap for a customized fit
- Lightweight walking shoes
- Rounded toe design offers ample space
- Size-chart may not be accurate
- Insoles may not be soft enough
3. Best Mesh Fabric Lining: Dream Pairs Toddler Sneakers
The Dream Pairs sneakers are made of flannel microfiber fabric with heavy-duty stitching, making them soft yet sturdy. These athletic walking shoes have cushioned foam insole and mesh fabric lining to provide breathability and keep your child comfortable throughout the day. The pair also has a hook-and-loop closure along with elastic laces for easy adjustments, and the textured rubber sole is anti-slip, providing good traction and keeping your child safe.
- Lightweight and wear-resistant
- Cushioned walking shoes
- Anti-collision rubber toe cap
- Available in multiple color options
- Wearable all year round
- May be a bit narrow at the ankles
- May not be true to size
4. Best Injury-Free: BMCiTYBM Infant Sneakers Non-Slip First Walkers
With more wiggle room for the tiny toes, these walking shoes for babies make a happy pick. If you are looking for walking shoes for all-day comfort, this is an excellent choice. Have your baby walk with confidence with these shoes that encourage natural movement by promising a good grip. The hook-and-loop design makes them easy to wear and remove.
- Have a stretchy foot-hugging upper
- Come with a non-slip rubber sole and sensory pods
- Toe cap prevents toes from injuries
- Knitted fabric offers breathability
- Soft pillow-like cushioning adds to the comfort
- Liners may be somewhat flimsy
- May be a bit wide
5. Best Flexible Sole: Robeez First Kicks Shoes & Sneakers
This pair of walking shoes with good grip by Robeez is made for children learning to walk and is approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association. The shoes come with a soft suede sole that is designed to flex and bend to mimic natural foot movements. In addition, the non-slip sole adds traction and averts falls, while the breathable lining prevents sweating and keeps the feet cool and dry.
- Padded insole for better cushioning
- Elasticized ankles for a good fit
- Available in multiple colors and styles
- Made of high-quality leather
- May be a bit wide
- May not be easy to maintain
6. Best Fun: Wee Squeak Toddler Squeaky Shoes
These beautiful shoes by Wee Squeak have comfortable and soft uppers and a fun squeaker in the heel. The lightweight shoes encourage first-time walkers with the delightful squeak sounds they make as your child walks with them on. They are easy to put on and take off and come with a sturdy rubber sole.
- Removable squeaker
- Adjustable ankle strap for a good fit
- Bump toe protector
- Available in various styles and colors
- May not be true to size
- Bow may not be pre-attached in some styles
7. Best Lightweight: Gerber Unisex-Child Baby Crib Shoes
The Gerber crib shoes come in adorable 3D animal patterns, such as sharks and bunnies, which your little one will love. The soft fabric makes them comfortable to wear, and they can be worn both in hot and cold weather. Their lightweight and easy-to-wear design and comfy outsole help your child walk around effortlessly.
- No-skid design on soles
- Suitable for early walkers
- Shape stays intact even after repeated use
- Spacious and durable
- May run a bit large
- Shoes may be a bit wide
8. Best Unisex: Oaisnit Baby Boys Girls Sneakers
Keep your baby’s little feet comfy and toasty with these unisex sneakers. These are designed keeping in mind the comfort of your child. Made to suit every season, these shoes make a perfect pick for walking, running, and playing.
- Made of breathable mesh fabric
- Come with a soft and sweat-free cotton lining
- Have a lightweight, anti-skid, soft rubber sole
- Come with an anti-collision toe cap
- Adjustable closure for easy on and off
- Breathable walking shoes
- May be wide at the heels
- May slide while walking
9. Best Flexible: Ella Bonna Oxford Baby Boy Shoes
Are you looking for shoes with a classy style? These designer baby shoes are an ideal match for formal and casual clothing. They are designed to promote natural foot development and movement. Have your baby learn to walk with these comfortable mini Oxford moccasins on any terrain without tripping.
- Made of pure grain genuine leather
- Lightweight, flexible, and anti-slip rubber sole
- Come with padded insoles to prevent injuries
- Rounded wide front to provide more room for the toes
- Organic cotton laces
- May run small in size
- Color may vary slightly
10. Best Soft Sole: Robeez Unisex-Child Slip On Crib Shoes
These Robeez crib shoes made of 100% leather don’t restrict the feet but allow for easy bending and flexing. The soft suede sole bends with every step, allowing a complete range of motion. Further, the supportive walking shoes are available in fun designs, including a dinosaur your child will adore, and are also easy to clean and maintain.
- Approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association
- Supports healthy foot development
- Elasticized ankle
- Kick-proof and non-slip
- Breathable lining to keep the feet cool and dry
- Seams may be a bit fragile
- Elastic band may be a bit tight for some
11. Best For Winter: Pureborn Fleece Booties
If you’re looking for a pair of shoes to keep your baby warm in cold weather, these fleece booties by Pureborn are a perfect choice. They come with an ultra-soft fleece lining and anti-slip rubber soles to keep your baby warm and protect them from falling. The elasticized ankles and oversized opening ensure a snug fit, and the fine workmanship makes these shoes last a long while.
- Velcro pull tabs offer a snug closure
- Machine washable
- Good for layering
- Soft and comfortable material
- Sole may not be sturdy enough
- Size might run a bit large
12. Best Leather: Pediped Katelyn Originals Mary Jane
These sweet and stylish summertime sandals in Mary Jane-style make a fantastic pair of shoes for baby girls. A fusion of comfort and fashion, these cute walking shoes for long walks are designed to develop foot strength and allow babies to sense the ground underneath for a better walking experience.
- Made of 100% leather
- Unique flower petal cut-out detailing on top
- Have scalloped trims
- Adjustable hook-and-loop strap
- Come with a soft and slip-resistant rubber sole
- May feel comfortable only when worn with socks
- Stitching may be fragile
13. Best Convenient: Reebok Kids’ Techque T Slip On Walking Shoe
The iconic Techque T shoes are designed for the comfort of those tiny feet. Match these everyday casual shoes to any outfit in any season to keep your baby’s feet protected. The convenient hook-and-loop closure makes these trail walking shoes easy to put on and take off.
- Made of synthetic leather
- Come with cushioned rubber sole
- Wide design accommodates chubby feet
- Padded internal
- May be slightly bulky
- May not be easy to clean
Benefits Of Baby Walking Shoes
A good pair of baby walking shoes can
- Protect the feet of the baby from anything that can hurt their tiny feet and toes.
- Provide a comfortable walking experience.
- Protect the baby’s feet from extreme temperatures.
- Provide the required grip and balance to walk without tripping.
- Promote a great deal of physical activity as babies can run, dance, play, and do many more things with the right shoes on.
- Allow the baby to walk on different kinds of terrains.
How To Choose The Right Baby Walking Shoes?
Here are a few features that you must always consider before buying the right pair of shoes for your baby.
- Correct size: Shoes that are too loose or too tight are not a good buy. Compromising on the size is never a good idea.
- Padding: It is important to buy walking shoes with memory foam cushioning at the back of the heel to add to the comfort. You can also look for shoes with removable insoles.
- Sole: Always pick shoes with non-slip soles for additional friction. Going for shoes with a flat and flexible sole allows them to bend and promise a comfortable walking experience across different terrains.
- Wide pattern: To allow the toes to wiggle and grow, a wide front is always a better choice. Moreover, it is also easy to slip them onto feet that are on the chubbier side.
Sofia Darkmoon, a fashion designer and illustrator, says, “Apart from these factors, the shoes you choose should also be lightweight and well-padded around the ankle. You may also consider those with Velcro straps or elastic laces for easy on and off.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is an experienced writer specializing in baby products. She undertakes extensive research to ensure your child’s comfort and safety. Her compilation of the best baby walking shoes is sure to make the child’s first steps hassle-free. The list includes well-researched suggestions made of high-quality materials and with premium features. She has also included a buying guide to help you choose the right shoes for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do babies need shoes to walk?
Babies need to be barefooted to develop the strength in their legs to walk on their own. However, once your baby starts walking, you can get soft and flexible shoes to protect their feet from dirt and debris (1).
2. When should I put walking shoes on my baby?
You can put walking shoes on your baby when they are around eighteen months old and can walk on their own (2). Walking shoes can prevent any injuries caused due to hard or sharp objects on the floor (3).
3. How are baby shoes different from shoes for adults or older children?
As babies do not use their shoes for walking, they are usually made of soft materials and are similar to regular socks. Adults or older children need hard-soled shoes to provide optimum support while walking.
Watching your little one take their first steps can be a priceless feeling. To help them walk comfortably, you will need the right walking shoes. These shoes are specially designed for babies with extra padding, soft material, easy closure, and convenient features. Consider your child’s age and feet size to find well-fitting shoes. Some pointers to be noted would be breathability, comfort, and washable material. So, protect your child’s feet from injuries and help them walk confidently with these shoes.
Infographic: How To Choose The Right Baby Walking Shoes?
Walking shoes for babies are designed to provide support and comfort as they take their first steps. However, picking the right type of shoes is essential to promote proper foot development and ensure a safe walking experience. Explore the infographic below to discover how to choose the perfect pair of walking shoes for your little one.
- Is My Baby Ready for Shoes?
- Best Baby Shoes For Your Liitle One
- Best Toddler Shoes
- Best Baby Moccasins
- Best Summer Shoes For Toddlers