If you feel drained and often think of going to a spa for a relaxing massage, then here’s some good news. You can soothe your tired body and tensed muscles right in the comfort of your home with the best back massager for chairs. For most of us, a good massage is the best way to unwind and relax at the end of a long and tiring day. However, it is not always possible to get a massage done by a masseuse. So a massaging chair helps relax your body while soothing your aching muscles and making you feel better almost instantly.
Whether you have resumed office or are still working from home, a tired body and aching muscles at the end of the day are given. Thanks to these portable back massagers, you can indulge in a massage anytime, right in the comfort of your home.
Viktoria Hamma, a chronic pain and weight-loss coach and an expert in massage therapy, personal training, and hypnotherapy, says, “I often encourage my clients to use home devices in between their massage appointments to help with recovery from an injury or to manage chronic pain. It may not offer drastic results, but it can be a great aid.”
If you’re wondering which is the best back massager for chairs, here is a curated list of some tried-and-tested products for you to choose from. Read on to know more.
9 Best Back Massager For Chairs
Cotsoco massage cushion uses heat therapy and three levels of vibrations to soothe muscle fatigue and pain. The deep kneading back massager features advanced shiatsu massage technology, providing target-specific areas massage techniques to relieve pain and discomfort in the lower, upper back, or full back. In addition, the cushion’s massage nodes mimic the fingers of a professional masseuse, providing a therapeutic and relaxing spa-like experience. Further, its breathable mesh and waterproof PU leather make it easy to maintain.
- Suitable for massaging shoulders and thighs
- Includes a remote control for easy operation
- Can be used on a couch, chair, or bed
- Adjustable strap for a secure fit
- Overheat protection feature for safety
- Padding may not be sufficient
- Vibration may be a bit intense for some
Using the ancient Japanese massage therapy shiatsu, this massager chair blends science with nature. It is suitable for those between 5 feet and 2 inches to 6 feet and 2 inches and comes with an adjustable neck. This massage chair pad has an automatic timer of 15 minutes and works by using acupressure. The machine targets three parts — full back, upper back, and lower back — with two intensity levels and four massage nodes. This adjustable rolling back massager also offers a variety of massage options, from shiatsu massage to spot massage. Known to give a wholesome massaging experience and immediate comfort, this tried-and-tested massager is a great option. If you want a detailed review of the product, make sure to take a look at this video.
- Washable covers
- Suitable for 110-120 V & 220-240 V electrical outlets
- Choose intensity level
- Washable cover
- Suitable only in selective electrical outlets.
"This massager has been a reliable companion for my long work hours behind the desk. It feels so relaxing, especially when I change the massage modes between rolling and shiatsu. It is a little firm, but that works great on my sore muscles."
This massage machine combines multiple techniques like shiatsu, kneading, vibration, and rolling to relax tensed muscles. Known to give a spa-like massage experience by using 2D and 3D finger pressure modes, it allows you to choose from full-back, upper back, and lower back options to reduce pain across your body. The spot massage feature rolls across the spine and reduces muscular tensions, giving it a more targeted approach. This portable massage machine is compatible with recliners, chairs, sofas, and even couches. If you are looking for a heat option, this chair has got you covered as the infrared features relax the muscles and relieve them from fatigue and stress. You can also check this detailed review video for more information about the product.
- Adjustable massage intensity
- Detachable cover
- Adjustable compression
- Optional heating available
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Adjustable chair flap
- Shiatsu massage might not be suitable for all
"The massager can be adjusted to different heights and has been quite effective at massaging my neck and back. Its adjustable heat settings allow for customization, too, and come in handy to satisfy my needs."
Cotsoco Shiatsu Back Massager With Vibration
Snailax Shiatsu Full Back And Neck Massager
Comfier Full Neck And Back Massager
Best For Full-Back Massage
|Grey and Black
|7 x 17.8 x 32 inches
|30 x 17 x 18 inches
Get immediate relief and relaxation with the multiple intensity levels and heating options of this massage chair. You can also adjust the machine to target specific parts of your body, right from the back, glutes, and neck. Besides this, it also allows you to pick from 3 levels of vibration on the seat cushion, and the height and position can be changed. Thanks to a back strap, you can now also attach the massage cushion to chairs. The nodes on these massage chairs help relieve body pain through their kneading technique, while its heating option also improves blood flow and reduces stress. For a thorough review of the product, have a look at this YouTuber’s video.
- Suitable for office and home use
- Overheating protection available
- Auto shut off feature
- Shiatsu massage available
- Suitable for elderly people
- Made from plush leatherette and breathable mesh
- Might not be suitable for people less than 5 feet and 2 inches and above 6 feet
The Renpho massage chair is made up of ultra-thin foam to fit your recliners, chairs, and sofas comfortably. The 8 deep-kneading nodes target your back for a precise focus, and thanks to the remote connection to the chair; you can now sit comfortably and use the massage chair. This vibrating back massager also has a neck massager, whose height can be adjusted, and the three intensity options and two massage nodes with vibration offer relief to your hips and thighs. The chair features an S-shaped ergonomic design to target your spinal area and give it an intense massage that you crave. With this chair, you will now be able to give that much-needed rest and relief to your aching body!
- Optional heating available
- Ergonomic design
- Compatible with recliners, sofas, chairs, and couches
- Simple set up
- Noise-free operation
- Automatic timer
- Shiatsu massage technique available
- Targets lowest level point in the back
- Might not be compatible with cars
Here’s a compact massage cushion to help you relax and unwind after a long day as it can easily fit most chairs and seats. The innovative cushion features four shiatsu massage nodes that provide a deep kneading massage with their circular motion and effectively target specific areas of tension. This heated back massager is designed to soothe sore and tense muscles and offer a truly rejuvenating experience, making it one of the most-recommended options of physicians. In addition, the cushion allows you to easily adjust the intensity of the massage and degree of heat and select specific massage zones.
- Can be used at home and office
- Offers a contoured massage
- Includes a comprehensive user manual
- Integrated straps for universal fit
- Easy-to-use remote control
- Heat function may cause the fabric to smell
- May be a bit intense for the elderly
"I use this Shiatsu massager after long days at work. It fits perfectly to my desk chair, and its heat function offers a soothing relief. I wish the control buttons were placed within reach for convenient adjustments."
The Best Choice Products Air Compression seat massager is a revolutionary new way to alleviate pain and discomfort while sitting. This seat pad features an advanced air compression massage system that targets specific areas of the back, hips, and thighs to provide a soothing and invigorating massage experience. Its 2D massage mode uses up and down and left and right motions to massage the back, while its 3D function incorporates the in and out or diagonal motion for a thorough and satisfying massage. Moreover, this time-tested remote-controlled back massager features a rolling massage technique for targeted relief at specific spots in the neck and hips.
- Adjustable massage nodes
- Removal and washable seat cover
- Doesn’t need to be assembled
- Easy to use
- May be suitable only for tall people
- Some may find it bulky
"This massage chair has offered much relief to my back pain. It eases muscle tension during prolonged sitting hours by targeting specific areas. Plus, I can adjust the intensity to suit my preference. It feels even more relaxing with the air cushions on."
8. Best With Heat: cotsoco Shiatsu Massage Cushion
Give your body the pampering it needs with the cotsoco Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat. This back massager features four deep kneading massage nodes that can be adjusted to relax the entire back and relieve muscle pain. The massager comes with removable intensity control leather pads, allowing you to choose a softer or more intense massage. Additionally, its three adjustable vibration intensity levels can relax the buttocks and thigh muscles, allowing a therapeutic massage at any time of the day.
- Quality remote controller
- Soothing heat feature provides warmth
- Integrated Velcro strap to attach the massage cushion to most chairs
- Removable neck pillow and back flap
- Three timer settings
- Not suitable for heat-sensitive people
- May not be well padded
This massage chair by Five S gives you multiple ways to enhance your massage experience, right from 3 massage speeds to 4 massage programs and 4 zones (neck/upper back, middle back, lower back, and thighs). The UL-certified customizable massage chair is equipped with high-quality and well-padded cushions and now you can enjoy a seamless massage experience on this chair, thanks to the hand controller. A combination of modes and speed will help you reduce muscle pain, release tension from muscles, and alleviate stress and with the 10 vibration motors on this chair you are assured of getting the massage you require by targeting your neck, back, and thighs.
- Independent heat regulation feature
- Comes with straps for securing the chair
- Overheating protection available
- Automatic shut down feature
- Car adapter not included
How To Choose The Right Back Massager For Chairs?
Here are some factors to consider when buying the right back massager.
- Heat level: It is advisable to choose a massage chair whose heat can be regulated to suit your needs. The heat from massage machines helps in increasing the blood flow in the body as blood vessels dilate with heat, aiding blood flow and reducing chronic pain. However, before you buy a massage machine, it is recommended to consult a certified physician, as massage chairs with heat options are not ideal for sensitive skin and can lead to rashes and blisters.
- Portability: Today, most massage chairs can be used anywhere and anytime. When you plan on buying one, you have to ensure that the massage machine is lightweight, easy to pack, and carry around.
- Target area: Some smaller massage machines target specific spots on your body, like the neck or back, whereas massage chairs target multiple areas on your body. Fortunately for us, today’s massage chairs are also customizable as they come with adjustable height and multiple target options. You can also customize by setting which part of your body should be targeted. Massage machines target the body through 2 massage tracks — S track and L track. While the S track focuses only on your back and spine, the L track can target your glutes, thighs, and neck.
Viktoria Hamma says, “Many clients who come to me for chronic low back pain also have muscles in their hips, thighs, and glutes that need addressing as well. Choosing a massage chair that you can customize and target certain areas is helpful.”
- Massage technique: Every massage machine has a unique massage technique in the form of modes and options available. You have to be careful regarding which massage technique to choose because picking an unfavorable option may lead to injuries. The shiatsu massage feature is a Japanese technique that promotes physical and emotional wellbeing by relieving stress and anxiety. But keep in mind that shiatsu massage is not suitable for fractures, varicose veins, and inflammation. On the other hand, the kneading technique reduces muscle pain and increases the flexibility of the body, while the tapping technique reduces stiffness and promotes better blood circulation. If you do not know which massage technique and machine will work for you, we suggest you get advice from a physiotherapist and pick accordingly.
- Roller system: The roller systems in massage chairs help in the smooth movement of the nodes to give their users a massage. A massage chair has 3 types of roller systems — 2D, 3D, and 4D. The 2D roller system is the most basic form of massage as it moves only bi-directionally with a uniform intensity; whereas the 3D and 4D roller systems have an adjustable intensity and can also move in diagonally with a variable intensity.
- Materials: Standard massage chairs are made of leather or synthetic materials. The ones made using synthetic materials are better equipped to handle heat and friction. Since synthetic chairs are durable and easy to clean, they can withstand scratches and scuffs and can be cleaned with just a piece of cloth. They can even absorb sweat and require less maintenance compared to the ones made up of leather.
- Age: While a massage chair may help with the aches and pains that come with old age, it is absolutely crucial that you pick one after assessing their physical conditions and considering all the safety factors of the chair. It is ideal to pick one that has an adjustable massaging speed as it will not lead to injuries. In addition, avoid selecting one with heating options because heat may affect their skin adversely.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long should I sit in a massage chair?
You may sit in a massage chair for ten to fifteen minutes at a time and for two two three times per day.
2. Is it good to use a massage chair daily?
Yes, you may use a massage chair daily. However, ensure you do not sit on it for longer than the recommended time suggested by a physician.
3. When should I not get a massage?
If you are pregnant, have a fever or inflammation, or have any disease, getting any kind of massage is not recommended. Furthermore, most of the back massagers may not be pregnancy-safe.
4. Can massage cause blood clots?
No, it may not cause blood clots. However, if you have a history of blood clots, using a massage chair is strictly prohibited.
5. Does massage help blood pressure?
Why Trust MomJunction?
Carefully sifting through several customer reviews and opinions, our in-house writer of household products and electronics, Wedetso Chirhah, brings you a list of the best back massager for chairs. The mentioned products have been picked after considering features such as ergonomic design, portability, ease of use, heat level, and massage techniques. Wedetso has provided an easy-to-comprehend description of each product and its pros and cons. Also included is a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you make the right decision.
We often come home exhausted after a day’s toil. However, we seldom have time to head to a spa and have a relaxing time. Massage chairs come in handy when you stress your body too much and crave a massage. A good massage session can increase your blood flow, reduce chronic pain, and rejuvenate your body and mind. The two top choices for massage chairs that can provide the comfort and relief you need are the Snailax Shiatsu Full Back And Neck Massager, which stands out for the wide range of massage options and intensity levels, and the Comfier Full Neck And Back Massager, which excels at providing a full-back Shiatsu massage and offers an infrared option. These massage chairs can help you with muscle recovery, ease sore spots, and bust stress to provide immediate relief. Choose the one that serves your purpose and provides you with optimum comfort.
Infographics Title: How To Choose The Right Back Massager For Chairs?
Back massagers can come to your rescue to provide a therapeutic and satisfying experience while aiding blood flow and reducing chronic pain. However, the relief you experience depends to a great extent on buying the right back massager for chairs. Read this informative infographic and consider the following factors when choosing a back massager.
- Durability of Effect of Massage Therapy on Blood Pressure
- The Effect of Back Massage on Blood Pressure in the Patients with Primary Hypertension in 2012-2013: A Randomized Clinical Trial