Snuggling into a warm sleeping bag at the end of a long trail or a hiking trip is heart-warming. However, if you slide into a bag that isn’t comfortable or doesn’t fit your height, this wonderful feeling can quickly turn into a horrible one.
Indeed, your sleeping bag has the potential to make or mar your backpacking trip. As a result, you must ensure that you select the right backpacking sleeping bag. However, it is not an easy task because there are hundreds of options available, each with a different temperature rating, insulation type, size, and shape. So, to assist you, here is a list of the best backpacking sleeping bags you can choose to make your backpacking trip a memorable one.
Top Products From Our List
19 Best Backpacking Sleeping Bags
This three-season sleeping bag comes in a semi-rectangle shape. Its shell fabric is wind-resistant, which contributes to the bag’s durability in inclement weather. Its lining is made of skin-friendly material that is comfortable and soft, ensuring a restful night’s sleep. In addition, it has a half-circle hood with drawstrings to trap the heat during the winter.
- Suitable for adults and children
- Portable and ultra-light
- Separated zipper to keep the feet free
- 100% anti-tearing and waterproof polyester
- 100% hollow fiber filling
Zooobelives backpacking sleeping bag is lightweight and portable, making it easy to handle and transport. This backpack’s duck-down insulation keeps things light. The bag’s design is ultra-warm, featherweight, and compressible. Its rectangular shape provides enough space to turn around while sleeping. The zipper at the bottom will enable you to vent the feet with ease.
- Made with premium tough 20D nylon shell fabric
- Water-repellent finish
- Anti-snag slider on the zipper to decrease snagging
- Lofty down insulation
This sleeping bag is designed in the shape of a mummy, is suitable for outdoor activities. It is made with SpiraFil high-lift insulation for maximum durability and warmth. Experts have tested the bag to ensure that it provides comfortable sleep at varying temperatures.
- Anatomically shaped foot box
- Less heat buildup
- Made with high-quality polyester
- Zipper with a drawstring for closure
This sleeping bag is large enough to fit an adult with a height of 6’1” – 6’6” comfortably, but it is lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry. The bag uses innovative heat retention technology and comes with quilted construction and an insulated foot box. This soft mummy sleeping bag is designed to keep you warm even in cold weather.
- A drawstring hood to keep the temperature comfortable
- Made with 210T rip stop polyester shell and soft polyester taffeta liner
- Double SBS zippers and anti-snag slider
- Water-repellent and durable
This sleeping bag provides plenty of space and is suitable for children and adults. The bag is made with a soft liner and a tough shell. This lightweight bag is built to last and can keep comfortable in any weather. In addition, the bag is water-resistant, weatherproof, and dries quickly.
- Prevents any dampness
- Compact, lightweight, and easy to clean
- Elastic straps on the backside to help you stay on the sleeping pad
- High quality and durable
This sleeping bag is made of cotton and has a flannel lining. It has a zipper-style closure and is made of 230T polyester as the surface material and hollow cotton as filler. This material combination makes the bag soft, comfortable, and easy to handle. In addition, the bag is skin-friendly and waterproof.
- Separated bottom zipper to keep the feet out
- Lightweight and convenient
- Two-way zipper with zipper guard
- Double-sided zipper for closure
This camping sleeping bedroll is made of premium and comfortable material. The outdoor gear set includes a soft travel pillow that supports your head and neck and makes you feel as comfortable as you would be at home. In addition, the travel cushion is lightweight and packable, making it easy to transport.
- Ideal for high and low temperatures
- Can be used during all seasons
- Comes with heat retention technology
- Double-sided zippers
- Lightweight, compact, and easy to carry
This sleeping bag is designed to keep you warm with additional insulation for the feet. It is lightweight and beneficial for last-minute backpacking trips. The bag has a three-piece hood that can be pulled in tightly around the face to keep your head warm. Further, the foot box provides more space for your feet.
- Full-length zipper draft tube
- Compression sack for stuffing
- Heavy-duty straps to tighten well
- A camp pad to sleep comfortably
- Hang loops for long-term storage
The outer material of this sleeping bag is waterproof and durable nylon, and the lining is breathable and skin-friendly polyester. Further, the premium TC cotton maintains a tolerable temperature while providing comfortable sleep in any environment. It is easy to handle and use due to the smooth zip closure.
- Comfortable inner lining
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to roll up into a carrying sack
- Multipurpose versatility
This sleeping bag is made of 350T polyester, a high-quality material. The bag’s coating shell makes it incredibly soft. Further, it is waterproof, allowing you to use it in inclement weather. In addition, the sleeping bag is filled with hollow fiber, which improves allergy resistance and insulation performance. The bag is designed to keep you warm even in near-freezing temperatures.
- Skin-friendly and easy to clean
- 350T polyester lining
- Machine washable
- Lightweight and portable
- SBS double slider zipper
This sleeping bag, designed in the shape of a mummy, is suitable for camping trip seven in temperatures as low as 0degrees. People up to 6’2″ in height can easily fit into the bag. You can seamlessly tighten the semi-sculpted hood with a drawstring to keep the heat trapped inside the bag.
- Zip at the bottom for additional ventilation
- Insulated foot box
- Quilted construction
- Thermo-lock draft tube
- Heat retention
This sleeping bag is a hybrid of an envelope and a mummy sleeping bag made of 20D nylon. Its upper body is smaller and more compact, and it keeps you warm. The lower body is rectangular and can quickly assist in moving the feet inside. The bag is large enough to accommodate tall adults. The bag does not catch any impurities or odors.
- Ultralight and portable
- Storage bag and a compression sack included
- Made with qualitative 400T 20D ripstop nylon material
- Waterproof and easy to carry
This ultralight backpack can keep you warm and comfortable. It has the highest warmth-to-weight ratio of any insulation type. In addition, this backpack has a ripstop shell to prevent down loss. The bag also helps keep your feet warm at night.
- Compressible insulation
- Compression bag included
- Water-resistant protection
- Durable and sturdy
This sleeping bag is water-resistant and features down insulation, making it ideal for three-season backpacking and camping. It is insulated with 600-fill DriDown, which aids in heat retention and compressibility. As a result, the bag provides an adequate warmth-to-weight ratio of insulation.
- Innovative polymer application
- Hydrophobic finish
- Two-way locking anti-snag zipper
- Insulated hood
- Polyester taffeta liner
- Naturally-shaped foot box
This backpack has 625 fill power and advanced ClusterLoft microfiber insulation. As a result, the compact and light sleeping bag offers better durability and moisture resistance. The microscopic air clusters create a loft that traps heat and keeps you warm. Further, the bag is made of waterproof fabric, so it will keep you safe in any weather.
- Made with 400T 20D ripstop nylon fabric
- Ultralight water repellent
- Double large zippers
- Anti-snag slider
This sleeping bag, made of 210T water-resistant polyester, keeps you warm without overheating. It is lightweight and comfortable, and it has been rigorously tested to meet the highest standards. This sleeping bag comes with a compression carry bag for easy storage and seamless packing. Its rectangular shape provides plenty of space for children and adults up to 5’11” in height.
- High-grade polyester used for the shell and filling
- Breathable and durable
- Skin-friendly material
- Thoroughly-tested zippers
This sleeping bag comes with a risk-free satisfaction guarantee and an outer cover made of 290T nylon, a breathable and waterproof fabric. In addition, the lining material is made of polyester pongee, and the filling material is made of polyester fiber. The sleeping bag is lightweight and compact in design, making it easier to transport and store.
- Envelope-shaped sleeping bag
- Accommodates adults with a height of up to 5’11”
- Waterproof and weather-resistant
- Double-filled technology to prevent dampness
This sleeping bag is made of nylon and can be used in three different seasons. The sleeping bag is designed to withstand temperatures ranging from 10 to 20 degrees Celsius. The bag is also weather-resistant, so it will keep you warm and comfortable while preventing dampness. It also features double-filled technology for a relaxing experience.
- Separated zipper at the bottom for free feet
- Half-circle hood with adjustable drawstrings
- Anti-tearing, qualitative material
- Easy to store and carry around
This sleeping bag has a humanized design that makes it comfortable and easy to use. Not only can you spend the night wrapped up in it, but you can unzip it and use it as a car blanket. It also has a head pocket to keep your head warm on cold nights. It is made of 100 percent polyester and is both durable and waterproof.
- Easily compressible
- Portable to carry
- Windbreak at the collar with a drawstring inside
- A hood to cover the head, ears, and face
How To Choose The Right Backpacking Sleeping Bag?
When buying a sleeping bag, you must be sure it is compact, light, warm, and comfortable. Consider the following factors before purchasing the right backpacking sleeping bag.
- Seasonal bag: Most manufacturers categorize sleeping bags into three types—summer, three-season, and winter. All these are equipped to withstand different temperatures. So, make sure you buy the right bag for your comfort.
- Insulation type: When considering this factor, you have several options. First, there is down insulation, which makes a bag durable, light, and compressible. Second, insulation ensures that you stay warm in extreme temperatures.
- Zippers: Most bags close with a full-length zipper on one side. Other bags have a partial off-side zipper to help with ventilation. You can make your choice based on your preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Should I get a down or synthetic sleeping bag?
The fill-weight of a sleeping bag is the actual amount of insulation it contains. Thus, compare the fill-weight to determine whether a down bag or a synthetic bag will keep you warmer.
- What is a good weight for a backpacking sleeping bag?
Sleeping bags are available in various weights. For example, an ultralight model weighs only one pound, while a heavy bag weighs around three pounds. As a result, an adequate one should fall between one to three pounds and not exceed the limit.
You can choose from an array of sleeping bags when shopping for them. The options listed above and the factors to consider will help you crack the code. So, select one of the options based on your needs and make the purchase.