The fielders in the outfield position are the last line of defense in baseball. Outfield players need specialized gloves with proper webbing and padding to catch balls that come with force and from a great height.
An outfield baseball glove is specially designed to help the fielder catch the ball from a height and absorb the impact. This glove is made of thick and stiff leather and offers some resistance while opening and closing when they are new. So, breaking in is required to soften the glove and help you get accustomed to it.
Whether you are a pro or a beginner at baseball, you can find the best outfield gloves online. Read on to know a few details of some of the top outfield gloves you can buy today.
11 Best Outfield Gloves
Rawlings offers outfield gloves similar in design to those worn by pro players like Kris Bryant, Bryce Harper, Francisco Lindor, Manny Machado, and Mike Trout. The Select Pro Lite comes 90% percent broken-in from the factory and needs little or no conditioning.
This 12in all-leather glove will give you enough room to perform better while handling high-speed balls, and the small hand opening gives you better control, making it one of the best outfield gloves for youth. So, if you want a superior-quality outfield glove, then go for this.
- All leather lacing Pro H web
- Padding for the palm and index fingers with cushioned finger back lining
- Right- and left-hand orientations
- Made of all leather for added comfort
- Lace that keeps the mitt together might become loose
The Wilson outfield gloves come in 12 different sizes and 26 different colors, and in left- or right-hand orientation. Each outfield glove is made of pro stock leather and handcrafted to perfection. The pro stock leather is known to be rugged and durable and gives you a comfortable feel.
- Double welting for the pocket
- Long-lasting break-in
- Double lacing at the base of the web for extra durability
- Thin heel pad for better closure
- Might take more time to break-in
This outfield glove is designed to need minimal break-in. It comes with a dual post web construction with patterns specific to female athletics. The white and aqua blue design is stylish and game-ready. Although this comes with extra padding, it is lightweight and is flexible from the start.
- Closely weaved glove
- Memory foam wrist lining
- Made of top-of-the-line leather
- Pocket might be too tight or small
The Mizuno MVP glove series is said to give you a professional feel. The gloves in the series are made of bio soft leather that has the perfect balance of oil and softness. Each glove also comes with an outlined and embroidered logo that gives a rich and premium look.
- Durable, strong lace for better performance at faster speeds
- Pocket centered under the index finger for a better break-in
- Great fit and comes ready to play
- Easy to break-in
- The gap in the webbing is a tad large
The Franklin Sports outfield gloves are versatile and can be used for baseball, softball, and t-ball. These gloves come in full black with caramel-colored lace to hold the parts of gloves in place. Each glove is made of premium cowhide palm with a PU-laminated PVC hybrid shell, making it one of the best outfield gloves.
- Durable construction
- Adjustable wrist strap
- No break-in required
- Basket web design for added flexibility
- Some might feel it needs more cushioning
The Miken Pro softball glove comes with a 70% factory break-in. The 13in glove is available in white, white with blue laces, white and red, and white with red laces. It features a Poron XRD palm and index finger that help in reducing the impact. The full-grain leather offers durability and shape retention for superior performance.
- Shorter break-in time
- Adjustable, pull strap near the wrist
- Designed to reduce impact and retain shape
- Pro H web pattern
- There may be hand-orientation discrepancies
Made of polyurethane, the Barnett JL-120 could be one of the best outfield gloves that is durable and resistant to abrasion. If you are looking for an outfield glove that is comfortable to use, try this one. It measures 12in and comes in black.
If you are a beginner and looking for an affordable outfield glove with simple design, this could be the one for you.
- Made of durable polyurethane
- Two foldings
- Comfortable and soft inside
- Closed pocket
- Not many sizes and colors to choose from
The Easton Blackstone outfield glove is made of cowhide leather and has a supple leather palm lining for extra comfort. It comes in a slick black look that gives it a stylish and professional look. The 12.75in glove will give you plenty of room to catch balls in the outfield position. The extra lining in the palm area protects your hand from bruises.
The web section is made with a strong lace to give you a comfortable feel even while handling high-speed balls.
- Plush wrist lining for extra comfort
- Rawhide leather laces for the web
- Cowhide leather body
- The glove may be heavy for some
Akadema’s ProSoft series is designed to give the user an unparalleled fit and a lightweight feel. The open back provides you with enough ventilation to keep your hands sweat-free and comfortable. The manufacturer claims that this is a factory-to-field-ready glove and does not require any break-in. The 13-inch glove with a deep pocket will give you enough room to snag balls, which is vital for an outfielder.
- H web for sturdiness and flexibility
- Deep pocket
- Open back
- May require some amount of breaking in
Designed for baseball and softball, the Gonex outfield gloves are made of genuine leather with a high-quality mesh back. The genuine leather makes the gloves soft and durable, and the mesh back makes these gloves lightweight and breathable. These gloves come with an 80% break-in from the factory.
The 12.5-inch baseball glove is suitable for adult men and women and comes with finger padding to provide extra comfort. This glove comes with an easy-to-carry bag that protects it from rain and sun.
- Genuine and durable leather body
- Breathable mesh
- Deep basket with a web pocket
- Adjustable lacing
- Premium PU lining
- Some may find the glove to be quite stiff
The Nokona Classic Walnut Baseball is made of cowhide leather that is strong, durable, and game-ready. It requires minimal break-in, and the open back design keeps your hands comfortable in hot weather. It has an H web that is lined with a leather lace. The custom-made label gives it a trendy and professional look.
This glove is 12.5in and gives plenty of room to comfortably catch balls coming from a great height and with force. The palm is not over-padded and does not make it feel bulky. If you prefer quality and do not mind spending some time for it to break in, then this glove could become your best companion.
- Genuine, durable leather
- Open back for better ventilation
- Modified trap web for better control
- Might take some time to break-in
How To Choose The Right Outfield Glove?
Consider the below points before buying an outfield glove.
- Glove length: Compared to the infield gloves, the outfield gloves need to be longer to catch difficult balls. The average length should be 12-13in, as you need to run and catch the ball, you will have little or no time to think, and having a longer glove might help.
- Easy to operate: Once you catch the ball, you need to close your hand to seal the ball within quickly. So, choose a glove that is easy to open and close with one hand. Also, choose a glove that needs less time to break in and one that is lightweight.
- Pocket: Deep pockets will help you catch high-hit balls with less impact. The pockets held with cowhide leather laces are tight and provide strength to absorb the impact. Also, deep pockets give enough room to reach out and catch tough balls.
- Material: Outfielder gloves are made of cowhide, synthetic, full-grain, pigskin, etc. The gloves made of pigskin and cowhide are economical, whereas those made of steer-hide and full-grain are durable. Choose one that fits your requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the components of a Baseball Glove?
There could be different types of baseball gloves for different fielders. It is necessary to have specialized gloves, as each player needs to perform according to their position in the game. However, the basic structure and components of a baseball glove remain the same. These are:
- Web: This is the part of the glove that is woven tightly with leather and appears like a web. It connects the fingers and the thumb and helps the fielder close the hand after catching the ball.
- Palm: The part that covers the palm of the hand is called the palm, and it comes with padding and leather covering to protect the hand from the impact of the ball.
- Lacing: This brings the whole glove together. The lace is usually made of leather and used to tie all the parts together.
- Heel: The portion beneath the palm is the heel; it provides additional protection and determines the break of the glove.
- Wrist adjustment: Some gloves have this optional feature to adjust the glove based on the size of the wrist.
- Hinge: The hinge is used to open and close the glove.
Choosing the right outfield glove is important as it needs some time to break in and adjust to your hands. Always give preference to comfort over any other aspect, as your performance might depend on it. Also, make sure you test the glove a couple of times before using it for your game.