Basketball is a challenging and fast-paced sport that kids can benefit from. This game requires kids to play in teams of five and help them learn how to work with teammates to score baskets. The best basketballs for kids would be smaller than the standard balls. You should choose a ball size depending on the age and size of your child.
Be it practice at home or trying out at the school gym, bring home a good basketball for your little one to practice. In this post, we have listed some of the best options.
Our Top Picks
How To Find The Perfect Basketball For Your Kid
When buying a basketball for your child, there are a few things that you should consider. Below are some pointers that may help you make the final choice.
Weight and Size: Basketballs are made of rubber and are heavy to hold because they have to withstand harsh surfaces such as concrete and asphalt. These balls are available in a variety of weights and sizes. For kids aged between 9 and 11, the ideal basketball size and weight could be 5 and 27.5 inches respectively.
Durability: Another important factor to consider while buying a good basketball is its durability. Basketballs are filled with air and need to be sturdy so they bounce well. For younger kids, you can opt for balls made of foam, which are easy to grip and a lot lighter than other basketballs.
These are the two main criteria that a good basketball should fulfil. Now let’s have a look at some of the best basketballs for kids.
9 Best Basketball For Kids
1. Best For Grip: Spalding NBA Street Basketball
This youth size basketball offers excellent grip and control so your kid can dominate the basketball court. Learn more about this product by watching this video.
- Durable rubber cover
- Good grip
- Deep channel design for better control
- Ideal for shooters
- Most suitable for outdoors
- Inconsistent bounce when played indoors
2. Best For Indoor Play: Wilson Evolution Game Basketball
You do not have to think much about the quality of this basketball because it has been approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations. This video will provide you with added insights about the product.
- Cushion core carcass makes the ball soft to touch
- Evo microfiber composite cover wicks moisture and offers a good grip
- Laid-in composite channel design provides better control
- Most suitable for indoor play
- Some may have faulty seams
3. Best Noise-Free: SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop 5-inch Foam Basketball
This ball is for your little one who wants to play basketball but is too tiny to reach the actual hoop. It is a 5-inch foam ball that is ideal for indoors.
- Does not generate much noise
- Ideal option for playing indoors
- Outer cover flakes off easily
4. Best For Outdoors: Mikasa BX1000 Premium Rubber Basketball
Available in the regular orange color, this basketball is designed for outdoors. It is a regular basketball that is reasonably priced. Take a look at this review video to know more about the product and make an informed buying decision.
- Good option for rookie players
- Rubber cover gives good grip
- Suitable for boys as well as girls
- Available in sizes 4 and 5
- Frequent inflation required for optimum usage
5. Best For Dribbling: Tachikara 2-Tone Rubber Basketball
This two-tone basketball comes in some attractive colors. It is a cool ball that can make your child want to play basketball.
- Available in a variety of colors
- Offers good grip and control while dribbling
- Yarn winding offers good durability
- Holds air well
- Requires frequent inflation
6. Best Air Pressure Control: Chance Premium Indoor/Outdoor Basketball
Not sure whether to buy an outdoor basketball or indoor basketball? Go for this basketball, which can be played indoors as well as outdoors.
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor play
- Available in various colors
- Deep channels enable good grip and control
- Butyl bladder controls air pressure and maintains a perfect round shape
- Deflates easily after a few uses
7. Best For Visibility: Molten X-Series Indoor/Outdoor Basketball
You may want to have a look at this basketball as it is approved by FIBA. It has a synthetic cover that makes it suitable for both outdoor and indoor play.
- Uniform pebble surface offers good grip and control
- Signature 12-panel design enhances the visibility of the basketball
- Butyl bladder helps to maintain shape and air pressure
- Holds air well
- Gets soiled too easily as compared to other basketballs
8. Best For Training: Baden SkilCoach Shooter’s Rubber Training Basketball
For kids who are new to the game or want to learn the game, this rubber training basketball can be of great help. It is designed to help improve hand positioning and shooting technique.
- Hand graphics created to suit both left- and right-handed players
- Rubber cover makes it suitable for both indoor and outdoor play
- Wound core ensures air retention and good bounce
- Ball loses air quickly
9. Best Shape Retention: Franklin Sports Junior 27.5 Inch USA Basketball
Its red, white, and blue panel pays tribute to the rich basketball traditions in America. The rich color also makes this basketball enticing for children. This junior-size ball offers good grip and control to help your little basketball player learn quickly.
- Polyester winding promotes good bounce and perfect shape retention
- Pro width channels enable better control over shots
- High-tack rubber cover gives good grip
- Lacks durability and loses air within a few days
If your child is a sports enthusiast, the right basketball can elevate their playing experience. Learning to play basketball comes with various benefits, including teaching children team-building skills while improving their hand-eye coordination. But before you go on and buy your child a basketball, make sure to see if it is the right size and weight as giving them a smaller or bigger one could hinder their game. Also, ensure the basketball is made from durable materials to last longer.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have compiled the list of the best basketballs for your kids with features such as weight, size, and durability. After careful research, we have included the basketballs that are fit for outdoor and indoor play and explained ways to choose based on the child’s requirements. Every product offers pros and cons with detailed descriptions to make your buying experience smoother, quicker, and easier.
- Best Ball Pits for Kids:
- Best Stress Balls for Kids:
- Best Basketball Shoes To Buy For Kids
- Best Outdoor Basketball Shoes