Regular sneakers aren’t the right choice, especially when your child is a basketball player. Instead, you might want to invest in something more flexible, such as the best basketball shoes for kids. These shoes are specially designed to protect your child’s feet during the game and support lateral movement. Moreover, they cushion the blow received on your back and knees. These shoes also provide a firm grip, beneficial during intense movements, such as jumping and running.
Here, we have compiled a list of top-quality basketball shoes that are durable and will protect your child from any possible leg injury.
11 Best Basketball Shoes For Kids
Basketball shoes can be specifically designed for girls or boys, although most shoes are unisex and can be used by both comfortably.
1. Best Overall: Nike Kids’ Team Hustle D8 Basketball Shoe
These shoes are specially crafted to strike a balance between style and utility. Learn more about this product by watching this video.
- The shoe’s ‘upper’ (sides, front, and back) cover is made from leather for durability and stretchability. The material adjusts to the foot, thus making extended use comfortable.
- The midsole is made from foam to provide cushion to the feet. The outer sole is made of rubber to provide adequate grip during a game.
- The high collar length provides protection and is also comfortable.
- The hook-and-loop strap lets the child wear the shoes without depending on the parent.
- The hook-and-loop strap may become loose over time and may not hold on to the foot like laces.
2. Best Comfortable: Adidas Originals Kids’ Pro Spark Basketball Shoe
The mid-top Adidas basketball shoes are durable and comfortable for a game of basketball. This video will provide you with added insights about the product.
- The upper material of the shoe is made from a synthetic compound that is durable and breathable.
- The midsole has adequate cushioning to minimize the risk of injuries.
- The shoe is available in a variety of sizes and comes in six color options.
- A few parents found the shoes to be narrow, which may make them uncomfortable for children with wide feet.
3. Best For Sweaty Feet: Under Armour Kids’ Jet Basketball Shoe
- The top of the shoe is made of mesh-like fabric and leather, to provide adequate ventilation to the feet.
- The tongue flap of the shoe also has a mesh-like pattern on it. It further improves ventilation, which ultimately helps reduce sweating and foul odor.
- The shoes are lightweight and flexible, which make them extremely comfortable during a basketball game.
- Some children found the shoe to be puffy and chunky, which was not to their liking.
4. Best Grip: Under Armour Girls’ Jet 2023 Basketball Shoe
These mid-top basketball shoes are designed for girls and are available in three color options.
- The rubber sole of the shoe has a criss-cross pattern to provide maximum grip during a game of basketball.
- It is available in multiple sizes; find a fit and color that suits your little champ the best.
- The midsole is made from compressed soft material, which is lightweight, provides plenty of support, and is ventilated to prevent sweat accumulation.
- The heel is molded for extra support while the padding around the collar cushions the ankle.
A few buyers felt that the quality and durability of the shoe could be better.
5. Best For Wider Feet: Adidas Kids’ Pro Model J Sneaker
These don the classic look of basketball shoes, along with the famous three stripes of Adidas.
- The shoe is made entirely of leather to provide the best levels of comfort and dexterity during a game of basketball.
- The outer rubber sole is designed with a pattern to provide maximum grip during a game.
- These shoes are available in multiple sizes and fit that you can pick from based on the age of the child.
A few buyers noticed that the shoe can run a bit wide and may come across a bit loose for children with narrow feet.
6. Best Fashionable: WETIKE Kid’s Basketball Shoes
These high-top shoes provide the best mix of comfort and fashion.
- The outer rubber sole is lightweight and has an anti-slip texture on its base to provide maximum grip during the game.
- The midsole is well-cushioned to absorb impact during running and jumping.
- The body of the shoe is made of polyurethane and synthetic leather. These two materials together provide the best amount of flexibility and durability.
- The shoes are available in multiple color options that appeal to the young ones.
- Some parents expected better quality and durability for the price they paid.
7. Best Flexible: Littleplum Basketball Shoes for Boys
Littleplum shoes for boys are stylish and utilitarian as well.
- The shoes are made from a material that moves along with the feet, thus providing maximum flexibility during a game of basketball.
- The well-cushioned midsole cushions the feet during jumps and bumps.
- The inner cloth lining is made from a material that prevents multiplication of microbes, thus preventing odor due to sweat.
A few buyers felt that the quality of the shoe’s material could have been better.
8. Best For Everyday Wear: Champion Boys’ Inferno Basketball Shoe
These shoes are ideal for boys who play basketball regularly.
- The ankle pull tab makes it convenient to pull the shoe up. The tab can also be used to tie the laces around the ankle for added grip.
- The shoes are made from faux leather and mesh fabric that together provide adequate ventilation to prevent sweaty feet.
- The insole and the collar of the shoe are well-padded to cushion the joint.
- There are fewer size and color options when compared to the competition.
- Some children found the sole slippery, especially for an indoor basketball court.
9. Best For Stability: AND1 Kids Show Out Basketball Shoe
The high-top basketball shoes for kids are designed to provide ankle stability during a game.
- The shoe is lightweight without compromising comfort and stability. The mesh-like material on the shoe allows sufficient ventilation.
- The midsole is made from EVA material, which is light in weight but provides high levels of cushioning and stability.
- The shoe is available in multiple sizes and eight color options, which means you can find the right size for your little one.
- A few buyers were not happy with the quality and found the shoes falling apart after a few weeks of intense use.
10. Best Perforated: Hawkwell Kids Casual Outdoor Basketball Shoes
These mid-top basketball shoes offer protection and comfort to the child’s feet.
- The padded collar keeps the child’s ankle stable during jumping and running.
- The front of the shoe is perforated for ventilation and prevent sweaty feet.
- The outer sole is made of rubber and has a ridge-like pattern for the best grip.
- The midsole is designed to provide stability to the foot when it turns and rotates.
- Some buyers found the quality of the shoe to be inferior for the price paid.
11. Best With Flexible Cupsole: Adidas Top Ten Hi J Basketball Shoe
This pair of basketball shoes by Adidas comes with a flexible cup sole and leather upper for maximum comfort and support.
- It is highly durable.
- It comes with a padded tongue for maximum comfort.
- The rubber sole design prevents slips.
- It is suitable for different surfaces
- May run a size smaller than advertised
How To Choose The Right Basketball Shoes For Kids?
Here are some things to consider when choosing a suitable pair of shoes for your child.
- Fit: Check the manufacturer’s size guide to ensure the shoes fit well on your child’s feet. They should be snug, but not too tight to cause discomfort. Ensure the shoes are lightweight and flexible for quick and easy movement.
- Cushioning: Ensure the shoes are well-cushioned and padded to prevent injuries and pain. Cushioned shoes help handle the impact and strain on your feet when you jump and play.
- Breathability: Choose shoes made of mesh or other breathable material for optimal comfort. A shoe’s breathability enables adequate airflow, keeping the child’s feet cool, sweat-free, and odor-free.
- Durability: Consider durability when purchasing basketball sneakers for children. They should withstand repeated use without breaking down. Check the material, stitching, soles, and structure to find a pair that lasts long.
- Grip: Check the sole’s grip and traction to ensure your child won’t slip and fall while playing. The sole should be anti-slip and made from robust material to allow your child to play on any surface worry-free.
Why Wear Basketball Shoes?
Basketball shoes are specially made for those who play the game. The ideal basketball shoes provide:
- Adequate ankle support: A player leaping to dunk the ball in the basket lands on their feet with immense force and acceleration. Without proper protection, this action could lead to an injury. Basketball shoes contain padding around the ankle to provide the best insulation and prevent any injury.
- Well-cushioned sole: The sole of the shoe is designed and padded to absorb the impact of landing flat on the feet when the players jump.
- Sufficient grip on the foot: The shoes are designed to give the player good grip when they move fast on the smooth basketball court. The laces wrap snugly to prevent the foot from moving around inside the shoe, while the kid runs and dodges other players.
Basketball shoes make playing the game convenient and comfortable for a child. The type of shoes you pick, however, must depend on your child’s requirements and preferences.
How To Select Basketball Shoes For Kids?
Keep these points in mind when selecting basketball shoes for your child.
- Collar height: The collar of the shoe is the rim around its opening. The collar height is determined by how high the rim goes, from the mouth of the shoe to above the ankle. Collar height could be high-top, mid-top, and low-top. If your child is in a forward position in the game and does most of the dunking, then a high-top will work the best.
- Lace or hook-and-loop: Some kids’ basketball shoes come with laces and some with a hook-and-loop fastener (similar to Velcro). Hook-and-loop fasteners are easy and convenient for a child who finds laces cumbersome. However, laces provide a snug fit and are best suited for children who are playing basketball at a professional level.
- Material: A few basketball shoes contain some amount of leather on the top, while some are made entirely of leather. Leather is stretchable and durable, which makes it one of the suitable materials for basketball shoes.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of experienced product reviewers and writers have curated this list of the best basketball shoes for kids keeping your child’s comfort and style in mind. We have rounded up the shoes after exploring several popular e-commerce websites and considering the expert reviews of users. As a result, the products on this list are lightweight, trendy, durable, well-padded, and available in different designs and colors.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of shoes are best for basketball?
Shoes that are flat and wide open are ideal for basketball. Ensure they provide effective ankle stability allowing the players to move flexibly.
2. Do little kids need basketball shoes?
Yes, they do, because basketball shoes provide good ankle support. They also protect your children’s feet in directional movement.
3. Can kids play basketball in running shoes?
Yes, they can, because running shoes are designed to withstand constant movement and jumping. However, basketball shoes are an ideal choice as they can withstand sudden change in movement by protecting the feet from sprains.
4. What is the difference between normal shoes and basketball shoes?
Basketball shoes offer good traction on the ground, while normal shoes cannot resist even simple running and jumping. Normal shoes are ideal for casual walks.
5. When should I replace my old basketball shoes with new shoes?
It is recommended to replace old shoes with new ones frequently to get desired ankle support and traction. However, discard the old shoes when you have noticed the signs of wear and tear.
6. How long does a pair of basketball shoes last?
A good pair of high-quality basketball shoes last between four and 20 games. It may also change from person to person.
7. Can I up a size in basketball shoes?
You should never up the size of shoes because it can cause falls or tip-over. Ensure that the shoes offer snug fit without crushing your feet too tight.
Flexible with adequate lateral movement, the best basketball shoes for kids help children participate in their favorite sport with ease and comfort. They also double as shock absorbers and provide ankle stability along with much-needed flexibility. When choosing the right pair, ensure it is made from stretchable and durable materials and choose a collar height depending on what position your child generally plays. Also, choose basketball shoes with convenient closures like lace or hook-and-loop fasteners that make wearing and removing shoes easy.
Infographic: Features To Look For In Basketball Shoes For Children
As a parent, it’s crucial to prioritize finding the appropriate basketball shoes for your child. To ensure your child has a comfortable experience on the court, we recommend taking the time to research and compare different options and consider several factors. Check out the infographic below for a list of factors to consider when making your decision.
Have you purchased a pair of basketball shoes for your child? Do tell us more about it in the comment section below.
- The Ohio State University: Manufacturing Process