“The basketball court for me, during a game, is the most peaceful place I can imagine.” – Michael Jordan
Basketball is more than just a sport for some. It is their passion, an activity they put their heart and soul in. The game involves a lot of active movement, intense jumping, and running. If your child loves this game and wants to become better at it, he or she will need the perfect shoes for practice. The right kind of basketball shoes will enable smooth movement while providing optimal protection to the heels, ankles, and joints.
11 Best Basketball Shoes For Kids
Basketball shoes can be specifically designed for girls or boys, although most shoes are unisex and can be used by both comfortably.
These shoes are specially crafted to strike a balance between style and utility.
- The shoe’s ‘upper’ (sides, front, and back) cover is made from leather for durability and stretchability. The material adjusts to the foot, thus making extended use comfortable.
- The midsole is made from foam to provide cushion to the feet. The outer sole is made of rubber to provide adequate grip during a game.
- The high collar length provides protection and is also comfortable.
- The hook-and-loop strap lets the child wear the shoes without depending on the parent.
- The hook-and-loop strap may become loose over time and may not hold on to the foot like laces.
The mid-top Adidas basketball shoes are durable and comfortable for a game of basketball.
- The upper material of the shoe is made from a synthetic compound that is durable and breathable.
- The midsole has adequate cushioning to minimize the risk of injuries.
- The shoe is available in a variety of sizes and comes in six color options.
- A few parents found the shoes to be narrow, which may make them uncomfortable for children with wide feet.
These basketball shoes are designed for kids who often complain about sweaty feet.
- The top of the shoe is made of mesh-like fabric and leather, to provide adequate ventilation to the feet.
- The tongue flap of the shoe also has a mesh-like pattern on it. It further improves ventilation, which ultimately helps reduce sweating and foul odor.
- The shoes are lightweight and flexible, which make them extremely comfortable during a basketball game.
- Some children found the shoe to be puffy and chunky, which was not to their liking.
These mid-top basketball shoes are designed for girls and are available in three color options.
- The rubber sole of the shoe has a criss-cross pattern to provide maximum grip during a game of basketball.
- It is available in multiple sizes; find a fit and color that suits your little champ the best.
- The midsole is made from compressed soft material, which is lightweight, provides plenty of support, and is ventilated to prevent sweat accumulation.
- The heel is molded for extra support while the padding around the collar cushions the ankle.
A few buyers felt that the quality and durability of the shoe could be better.
These don the classic look of basketball shoes, along with the famous three stripes of Adidas.
- The shoe is made entirely of leather to provide the best levels of comfort and dexterity during a game of basketball.
- The outer rubber sole is designed with a pattern to provide maximum grip during a game.
- These shoes are available in multiple sizes and fit that you can pick from based on the age of the child.
A few buyers noticed that the shoe can run a bit wide and may come across a bit loose for children with narrow feet.
These high-top shoes provide the best mix of comfort and fashion.
- The outer rubber sole is lightweight and has an anti-slip texture on its base to provide maximum grip during the game.
- The midsole is well-cushioned to absorb impact during running and jumping.
- The body of the shoe is made of polyurethane and synthetic leather. These two materials together provide the best amount of flexibility and durability.
- The shoes are available in multiple color options that appeal to the young ones.
- Some parents expected better quality and durability for the price they paid.
Littleplum shoes for boys are stylish and utilitarian as well.
- The shoes are made from a material that moves along with the feet, thus providing maximum flexibility during a game of basketball.
- The well-cushioned midsole cushions the feet during jumps and bumps.
- The inner cloth lining is made from a material that prevents multiplication of microbes, thus preventing odor due to sweat.
A few buyers felt that the quality of the shoe’s material could have been better.
These shoes are ideal for boys who play basketball regularly.
- The ankle pull tab makes it convenient to pull the shoe up. The tab can also be used to tie the laces around the ankle for added grip.
- The shoes are made from faux leather and mesh fabric that together provide adequate ventilation to prevent sweaty feet.
- The insole and the collar of the shoe are well-padded to cushion the joint.
- There are fewer size and color options when compared to the competition.
- Some children found the sole slippery, especially for an indoor basketball court.
The high-top basketball shoes for kids are designed to provide ankle stability during a game.
- The shoe is lightweight without compromising comfort and stability. The mesh-like material on the shoe allows sufficient ventilation.
- The midsole is made from EVA material, which is light in weight but provides high levels of cushioning and stability.
- The shoe is available in multiple sizes and eight color options, which means you can find the right size for your little one.
- A few buyers were not happy with the quality and found the shoes falling apart after a few weeks of intense use.
These mid-top basketball shoes offer protection and comfort to the child’s feet.
- The padded collar keeps the child’s ankle stable during jumping and running.
- The front of the shoe is perforated for ventilation and prevent sweaty feet.
- The outer sole is made of rubber and has a ridge-like pattern for the best grip.
- The midsole is designed to provide stability to the foot when it turns and rotates.
- Some buyers found the quality of the shoe to be inferior for the price paid.
These high-top collar shoes keep the feet stable and secure during a game of basketball.
- The shoe is made of leather for durability and flexibility.
- The tongue (front flap) and the collar of the shoes are padded for maximum comfort.
- The laces run high on the shoe for a tight fit that prevents the shoe from becoming loose during a game.
- The shoes are only available in sizes for little kids and have no color options.
Why Wear Basketball Shoes?
Basketball shoes are specially made for those who play the game. The ideal basketball shoes provide:
- Adequate ankle support: A player leaping to dunk the ball in the basket lands on their feet with immense force and acceleration. Without proper protection, this action could lead to an injury. Basketball shoes contain padding around the ankle to provide the best insulation and prevent any injury.
- Well-cushioned sole: The sole of the shoe is designed and padded to absorb the impact of landing flat on the feet when the players jump.
- Sufficient grip on the foot: The shoes are designed to give the player good grip when they move fast on the smooth basketball court. The laces wrap snugly to prevent the foot from moving around inside the shoe, while the kid runs and dodges other players.
Basketball shoes make playing the game convenient and comfortable for a child. The type of shoes you pick, however, must depend on your child’s requirements and preferences.
How To Select Basketball Shoes For Kids?
Keep these points in mind when selecting basketball shoes for your child.
- Collar height: The collar of the shoe is the rim around its opening. The collar height is determined by how high the rim goes, from the mouth of the shoe to above the ankle. Collar height could be high-top, mid-top, and low-top. If your child is in a forward position in the game and does most of the dunking, then a high-top will work the best.
- Lace or hook-and-loop: Some kids’ basketball shoes come with laces and some with a hook-and-loop fastener (similar to Velcro). Hook-and-loop fasteners are easy and convenient for a child who finds laces cumbersome. However, laces provide a snug fit and are best suited for children who are playing basketball at a professional level.
- Material: A few basketball shoes contain some amount of leather on the top, while some are made entirely of leather. Leather is stretchable and durable, which makes it one of the suitable materials for basketball shoes.
Basketball shoes for kids are specially designed to keep the little feet comfortable and protected through the game of basketball. Do keep in mind the usage, fit, age, and collar height before picking a pair of shoes for your child. Buying the right basketball shoes can go a long way in helping children excel in the sport.
Have you purchased a pair of basketball shoes for your child? Do tell us more about it in the comment section below.