Whether you are a home cook, a baker, or a chef, a good-quality basting brush is a must-have tool in your kitchen arsenal. Also known as a pastry brush, this tool may be small compared to your other cooking utensils but make no mistake as it can be used for various purposes in the kitchen. From applying egg wash on puff pastries, brioche buns, and pie crusts to achieve that beautiful shiny golden crust to basting a piece of meat or fish with sauce or marinade to keep it moist during the cooking process, this brush can do it all.
This handy tool comes in different styles and sizes for you to choose from. Check out our round-up of the 13 best basting brushes and pick one or more based on your needs and preferences.
13 Best Basting Brushes
Step up your kitchen game with this set that consists of 2 basting brushes in different sizes. Made of BPA-free and food-grade silicone, these brushes include 4 rows with 15 bristles in each row and a built-in mesh that can hold generous amounts of liquids while ensuring easy and even coating. The heads of the brushes can be removed for easy cleaning, which, in turn, prevents the build-up of mold and bacteria. While the big brush can be used to baste meat, the small brush can be used to apply glaze or egg wash to doughs and pastry. These brushes also feature a lightweight handle made of high-quality green crystal that provides a firm and comfortable grip.
- Flexible design
- Does not retain odors
- Heat-resistant up to 446°F
- Comes with 2 recipe ebooks
- Features holes for easy hanging storage
- The bristles do not shed or break.
- The bristles might be too soft and brittle.
It’s always best to keep more than one pastry brush handy, especially in various colors, with each one used for a different task to avoid cross-contamination. This 4-piece set is visually appealing while also being functional. It includes 1 large brush (85 bristles) and 3 small brushes (52 bristles in each), all of which are made of food-grade silicone. They can resist temperatures up to 446°F and won’t warp, discolor, or melt. The unique one-piece design of the tools means that there is no possibility of the brush falling off and no gaps for food to be stuck. For added durability and strength, the handles come with an internal steel core. They are easy to clean and dry fast with no stain or residue.
- High tensile strength
- Soft and flexible bristles
- Holds a good amount of liquid
- Hole in the handles ensure easy storage
- The set comes packed in a drawstring bag.
- The handle provides a firm grip.
- The small brushes may not be able to hold more liquid.
Featuring dense bristles with a high tensile strength to hold and retain liquids well, these are the perfect brushes for barbecuing steak, ribs, or chicken. The bristle-free black brush head is made of silicone, and the handle is built with 430 stainless steel, which makes these brushes lightweight yet sturdy and durable. This set includes 2 brushes in different sizes that are heat-resistant up to 500°F and dishwasher-safe. When not in use, you can conveniently hang them using the ring at the handle’s edge.
- Easy to clean
- Odor and stain-resistant
- No shedding or breaking
- Replaceable brush head
- Food-grade and BPA-free
- Comes with 2 extra orange brush heads
- The handle offers a good grip.
- The handle may rust after a few washes.
If thick-bristle brushes leave marks on your delicate baked goods, then what you need is a soft and lightweight silicone brush such as this one. It features a unique bristle design that mops up liquid better and spreads it evenly without scratching the surface of the pastry. This pastry brush includes a transparent handle that offers a great grip and is easy to hang.
- Ergonomic design
- BPA-free and food grade
- Can withstand temperatures up to 500°F
- Might be a little flimsy
One of the best silicone basting brushes, this large brush features tapered outer bristles that make basting or glazing easy. Plus, the bristles are clump and frizz-free, which makes cleanup a breeze. All while the angled design of the brush head provides maximum coverage and accurate strokes while keeping the bristles from touching the countertop when rested. The best part about this kitchen tool is that the center bristles have gaps/holes to grab and hold a lot of sauce or melted butter.
- Mess-free transfer
- Heat-resistant up to 600°F
- Easy to clean in the dishwasher
- Can be used to grease hot pan
- The handle provides good grip.
- Might be too large for some delicate goods
This solid quality basting brush can make a huge difference while cooking or baking. This brush features eco-friendly food-grade silicone bristles that are pliable and makes its way into all of the cracks and crevices, making sure the sauce reaches exactly where you want. An added bonus is the 12-inch long stainless steel handle, which makes this an excellent tool for basting food over the hot grill or in the oven, without causing your hands to burn.
- Brushed steel
- Hollow lightweight handle
- Removable bristles
- Heat resistant up to 480°F
- Features a loop for hanging storage
- The brush head may not be tightly fitted.
This set of 4 vibrantly colored basting brushes will make your cooking and baking so much easier. Wondering, how? Since every brush head in this set is of a different color (pink, green, orange, and blue), you can designate each brush for different applications and avoid cross-flavoring. The bristles are made of silicone that can withstand temperatures up to 446°F, so you can rest assured that they won’t shrink, melt, or discolor in high heat.
- Flexible and strong
- BPA-free and food-grade
- Bristles won’t shed
- Detachable handle and brush
- Easy to clean by hand
- Top rack dishwasher-safe
- Comes with stylish clear handles
- The handles may be short.
Add a touch of class to your kitchen decor with this set that includes 2 brushes in different sizes — 8.2 and 10 inches. These stylish black brushes feature durable and high tensile strength silicone bristles designed to hold liquids well and spread it evenly on the food without making a mess. The silicone handles are comfortable to hold and include a stainless steel core that won’t break easily. The one-piece seamless design of the brushes means that you don’t have to worry about food particles getting trapped, making them easy to clean and wash (dishwasher-safe).
- Flexible design
- BPA-free and safe to use
- Bristles won’t shed
- Withstands temperatures up to 450°F
- Does not discolor or shrink
- The handles might be a little heavy.
Next on our list is this set of bright and colorful basting brushes, which make for a beautiful addition to your kitchen. They are made of 100% food-grade silicone, making them safe to use for all types of cooking. This set includes 2 large (10.1 inches) and 2 small (8.2 inches) brushes. These utensils feature smooth and flexible bristles that easily glide over without scratching the surface of the cookware or the food. Plus, they come with steel-reinforced handles that prevent breaking or bending during usage. It is to be noted that the bristles are of high tensile strength, allowing you to evenly distribute sauce, oil, or butter onto the food.
- One-piece design
- Does not rust or discolor
- Resistant to temperatures up to 446°F
- That handles provide excellent grip
- Can be washed by hand or in dishwasher
- The hanging hole offers a convenient storage solution.
- May not be resistant to stains
If silicone brushes don’t do it for you, perhaps you should give this natural-bristle basting brush a try. It features bristles made of boar hair, which is super durable and water-resistant. This 9.75-inch brush is gentle to use on pastries and safe to use on grills for enhanced convenience. It is not only ideal for oiling or buttering griddles and bakeware pans and basting food, but can also be used to clean spice mills and coffee grinders. This brush is well-designed with the bristles forged into the plastic handle to prevent bacteria buildup and dirt accumulation.
- 2-inch wide bristle
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Flagged end of the bristles hold more liquid
- Includes a molded hook to hang on lip of containers
- Features a notch for hanging on the hook
- The bristles may shed.
All you traditionalists out there, this pastry brush is made for you! Designed to coat fluffy baked goods with egg wash, butter, or water to create that flaky golden crust everyone craves, this brush provides an even and mess-free coating. The bristles are made of durable boar hair that can retain a considerable amount of liquid. Simultaneously, the lacquered hardwood handle featuring brown nylon ferrules provides a comfortable and firm grip. In addition to that, the handle also includes a hole so that it can be hung for secure storage.
- Durable and pliable
- Hand-wash recommended
- Water-resistant bristles
- Heat-resistant up to 500°F
- Can also be used to clean coffee grinders and spice mills
- Tends to shed
- May not be dishwasher-safe
Tired of using brushes that easily break or shed and stick on your food? It’s high time you replaced them with a silicone pastry brush such as this one, which features fine and pliable bristles that do not shed or scratch the food’s surface. All while its compact size provides ultimate control to help you achieve detailed strokes. Besides, it is also stain-resistant, heat-resistant (up to 482°F), and dishwasher-safe (only the brush head). The bright cherry-red hue of the silicone head will add a pop of color to your kitchen.
- Flavor and odor-resistant
- Detachable head
- Available in 2 other colors – blue and gray
- The wood handle offers a comfortable grip.
- The hole at the end makes for an easy hanging storage.
- Might be too small to use as an oil basting brush for large pans
At 10.25 inches length, this basting brush is comfortable to use and convenient to hold. As the name suggests, this tool comes with an innovative wavy collar that keeps the brush head raised when placed on the kitchen countertop to avoid messes and prevent it from rolling off.
- Can resist temperatures up to 600°F
- The easy-to-grip handle offers good control.
- The bristles do not shed.
- Might have a strong odor initially
When it comes to choosing the right basting brush, there are a few points that you need to take into consideration.
How To Choose The Right Basting Brushes
- Shape and size: The shape and size of the basting brush you pick depends on the type of cooking you do. While small brushes are ideal for coating items like hand pies, and dumplings, big brushes work well for covering large surfaces such as basting whole chicken or egg washing loaves of bread.
- Bristle type: Again, when it comes to bristles, you need to determine what you intend to use it for. Most bakers or pastry chefs prefer soft-bristled brushes because they smoothly glide over the surface without scratching or deflating the delicate pastries. As for rigid bristles, they are sturdy and great for basting tough and rough-textured meat. You could also check whether the bristles are densely or loosely packed. Densely-packed bristles can hold a higher volume of liquids as compared to looser hairs. However, the latter is much easier to clean and wash.
- Material: Basting brushes come in various materials such as silicone, nylon, and boar hair. Boar hair bristles are soft, water-resistant, and can hold more liquids, especially thin liquids better, while nylon ones are sturdy and do not break or shed. As far as silicone bristles are concerned, they are more robust, flexible, and can withstand extreme heat. Also, it would be best if you made sure the materials used are food-grade and BPA-free. In addition to that, the handle of the brush also is an essential feature. While some brushes come with wooden or stainless steel handles, a few others feature a one-piece silicone design.
- Ease of cleaning: Although most basting brushes need to be hand washed and dried thoroughly before use, some can be placed in the dishwasher.
Once you start using a basting brush, whether to dust excess flour off dough, moistening baked cake with syrup, or glazing big pieces of fish, you will never use your spoons to do the basting job. With basting brushes, you can control where and how much liquid needs to be applied. It’s best to keep a few different colors and sizes on hand and make sure you use separate brushes for savory and sweet applications. You wouldn’t want your blueberry pie to taste like barbeque marinade, would you? So, go through our list of the 13 best basting brushes, and we are sure you will find something you will love.