If you want to protect your child’s clothes from food stains and spills, here’s our list of the best bibs for babies to help you out. Just as adults wear napkins while dining, children need bibs to keep their clothes safe while eating. As they are not accustomed to table manners, they might end up spilling food on their clothes. So, these bibs can come in handy. Available in cute designs and multiple sizes, choose a bib that fits your requirements. So, read on to know more.
Need For A Baby Bib
Your baby may have learned to sit up and eat solid food but may not have mastered the skill of holding food in their mouth. It will be a while until your baby gets to that point. Until then, they may keep spilling food on their clothes. It means you will have lots of laundry to do after every meal. A baby bib is like a protective shield that keeps your child’s clothes safe from food stains and drools. It is easy to wear and wash and is especially helpful while traveling.
11 Best Bibs For Babies
1. Best Bibs With Two Adjustable Snaps: KeaBabiesBaby Bandana Drool Bibs
Drool bibs shaped like a bandana around the neck are not only useful but also look cool. Trusted by moms, this set of eight bandana bibs comes in shades of gray with simple yet elegant designs. Backed by a highly absorbable fleece, the drool bibs are gender neutral and are apt for those who want to gift something to a mother-to-be, especially when it is a baby shower or a gender reveal party. The baby-friendly bibs have adjustable nickel-free snaps and the fabric used is ultra-soft so that the user can experience comfort all day long.
- Suitable for all-day use
- Breathable fabric
- Made using organic cotton
- Keeps your baby comfortable
- Label on the bib may affect its visually appeal
- Quality may deteriorate if washed frequently
"These bibs are not just adorable but also soak up spit and dribble while adding an element of smartness to my little one's attire. The fabric has a soft texture and is gentle on my baby's face."
2. Best Holiday-Themed Embroidered Bibs: Hudson Baby Unisex Baby Holiday Bibs
Made with a mix of imported cotton and polyester, the Hudson Unisex Baby Holiday Bibs are machine-washable and come with a hook-and-loop closure. These tried-and-tested bibs are equipped with multilayers to keep a check on spills and drools by absorbing them effectively. This set of bibs for a baby is bound to leave you spoilt for choice, thanks to the variety of options to choose from different colors and patterns.
- Include fiber-filled drooler options
- Soft material
- Suitable for gifting
- Colors may bleed upon washing
- May have typos on prints
"I love these bibs for their quality. They're easy to use, boast fun patterns, and are easy to wash too. They fulfill their basic functions well enough."
3. Best Bib With Flexible Front Pocket: Mushie Silicone Baby Bib
If your baby has just started drinking from a regular cup or is still learning, this durable silicone bib might become your savior. Its flexible hard body comes with a front pocket that collects both liquid and food, keeping your baby’s clothes completely safe. If you want to be spoiled for choice, these bibs can be your go-to option as it is available in a variety of colors to choose from, right from pale mauve, safari light gray, and vanilla confetti. For better maintenance, make sure that you wash the bib with soap, as the bib is made to not absorb water and keep stains at bay. To make an informed decision before buying, check out this video showcasing the reviewer’s experience.
- Adjustable neck band
- Might not be durable
- Might be difficult to remove color stains
"I find this better than its cloth-based bibs for three reasons—its silicon build ensures easy clean-up, its pocket-style design prevents messy spills, and its dark hue subdues food stains effectively."
4. Best Single-Layer Lightweight Bib: Bumkins SuperBib
Looking for a wide and lightweight bib? Have a look at this SuperBib that comes with a wide front. To make sure the bib is safe for use, it is vigorously tested to meet safety standards. These bibs for babies can be trusted by moms and dads, as they are PVC-free, phthalate-free, and lead-free too. They are made from polyester and PU and are easy to clean, as you just have to turn them inside out, toss them into a washing machine, and you are good to go. However, for better results, make sure that the bib is completely dry before you plan to store or use it. With durable materials used to make the bib, this one is light, baby-friendly, and safe too. It enables you to feed your baby without worrying about stains.
- Bacteria resistant
- May dangle loosely
- May take a lot of time to dry
"Although my daughter usually detests bibs, these have managed to impress her. I believe it's because they're lightweight and comfortable around the neck. They are easy to clean and dry rapidly as well. Also, its clutch pocket helps trap food crumbs, expertly protecting her outfits."
5. Best Cotton Bib With Soothing Teether: Vuminbox Baby Bandana Drool Bibs
When your baby goes through the teething phase, it is natural for them to leave drool marks over their clothes. This safe and effective pinafore comes with a teether to help relieve sore gums, and the bandana protects your baby’s clothes. You can understand how the product works by checking out this video, showcasing a tester’s experience.
- Inner polyester for added protection
- Imported fabric
- Snap closure
- Buttons may pose a choking hazard
- May not survive a dryer
"My little one started teething around three months ago, leading to a lot of drool. These bandana bibs have been helping me through this messy phase, as they are absorbent. Plus, the attached teethers have proven to be durable, and my little one loves to chew them."
6. Best Easy-To-Wash: Abiie Ruby Wrapp Silicone Bib
The Abiie Ruby Wrapp silicone bib makes mealtime a breeze for parents and babies alike as it has a mess-proof design and is dishwasher-safe. The bib is made of soft material and is lightweight, making it comfortable for your little one, and the built-in crumb catcher assures a no-spill meal time. Moreover, the dad-and-mom-approved bib has a patented roll up and lock feature, making it space-efficient and easy to store.
- Phthalate- and PVC-free
- FDA-approved and CPSIA-compliant silicon
- Adjustable neck closure for a custom fit
- Child-proof button closure
- Available in vibrant colors
- Locking mechanism may be a bit cumbersome
- May lose its shape upon rolling
"This silicone bib is easy to wear, lightweight, and has lovely colors to choose from. It can be rolled up for travel and storage, making it practical and convenient. The ergonomic design enhances its efficiency in catching food crumbs."
7. Best Bib With Stretchable Neckline: Burt’s Bees Baby – Bibs
This bib set comes in a pack of four pieces. To make sure that the bibs come off easily after use, they have a snap mechanism. It is made of a knit fabric for added stretchability and is more durable than a jersey knit. Long and wide enough to keep your child’s clothes safe from drool protection, we recommend washing the bibs using your hands for better results and to make sure the bibs last long. The baby-friendly full-coverage bibs come in simple primary colors and are easy to wash and use.
- Easy to put on and take off
- Made from organic cotton
- Relies only on hand wash for maintenance
- Colors may not be as vibrant
"I use this bib for my newborn. It is thick, absorbent, and oversized, which is great as it covers more than just the chest. It's easy to fit over the baby's head, but the neck hole isn't adjustable, which may not be ideal for smaller babies. However, the adorable patterns and its durability make it one of our favorites."
8. Best Four-Layer Cotton Muslin Bib: Green sprouts Muslin Bibs
If you are looking for a an ultra-soft and comfortable bib, this cotton muslin bib could be just perfect. It has a super soft texture and is available in various colors.
- Adjustable snaps for a snug fit
- Four absorbent layers
- Made from organic cotton
- Might not be thick enough
- Might not be as absorbent
"The bibs are ultra soft, gentle, and super absorbent—perfect not just for mealtime but also for a drooling baby. Their neutral colors blend well with any outfit, and they also feature adjustable snaps to ensure a secure and comfortable fit."
9. Best Hook-And-Loop Closure: The Peanutshell Terry Bib Set
The adorable bibs are made of 75% cotton and 25% polyester and come in eight funny, food-themed designs. They are absorbent and soft and help keep your child clean from spit, food spills, drools, and more. These dad-and-mom-tested embellished bibs have a soft terry fabric on the back that can absorb liquids quickly, ensuring you don’t need to change your child’s clothes frequently. The safe and effective bibs also come with hook-and-loop closures for an easy and adjustable fit.
- Suitable bib for newborns and toddlers
- May be thinner than expected
- Children may be able to pull it off
10. Best Machine-Washable: Dreambaby Terry Cloth Pullover Bib
The baby bib by Dreambaby comes in a set of four and can be trusted by moms and dads as it can be washed in the machine. It is a fine blend of cotton and polyester, making it absorbent and soft. Moreover, the pullover design makes it easy to wear and take off and eliminates strap- and snap-induced discomfort. Lastly, each bib adorns a cute baby-friendly farm animal caricature, making it attractive for the baby.
- Doubles as a drool bib
- Durable cloth
- Large size for extra coverage
- Gender-neutral design
- Cloth may be a bit thin for some
- Neck opening may be a bit wide for small babies
"My granddaughter abhors traditional bibs, but these slip-on bibs with large neck opening suit her well. They're soft, machine-friendly, and lack pesky plastic backings."
11. Best BPA-Free Textured Teether Bib: Nuby Reversible Teething Bib
This three-piece teething bib set makes teething and drooling mess-free for you and your baby. It comes with a teether and multiple textured surfaces. The bib comes in a set of vibrant and colorful patterns. To maintain this toddler bib, make sure that you use a washing machine to wash them using warm water. For better results, do not iron and always opt for a tumble dry low setting. The mom-approved bib is made up of natural fibers to go soft and safe for your child and comes with a hook and loop closure.
- Made from natural cotton
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Secure fastening
- Blends well with any cute outfit
- May be smaller than expected
- Prone to shrinking
"The bibs bring together cuteness and functionality. They are absorbent and do a good job at catching and soaking drool. The silicone top with bumps is a hit with my little one as the bibs double up as teethers."
Types Of Baby Bibs
Bibs are available in a variety of shapes and colorful designs. Different bibs serve different purposes. Let’s have a look at some of the most commonly used baby bibs.
- Drool bibs: Small in size, drool or dribble bibs can be worn by babies anytime even when not feeding. These bibs are meant to protect your baby’s clothes from dribbles.
- Feeding bibs: These large bibs are meant to be worn by babies when eating, so food does not come in contact with your baby’s clothes and instead falls on the bib.
- Smock bibs: Like a raincoat that protects clothes from the rain, the smock bib protects clothes from food that your baby spills. It covers your baby from neck to knee, so their clothes are stain-free.
- Disposable bibs: Created for women who travel with their little ones, these work like a feeding bib and are easy to dispose of without you having to carry them everywhere.
Tips For Buying A Perfect Baby Bib
The following tips might make it a little easy for you to select the right bib.
- Easily-washable: Bibs are supposed to take the hit instead of your baby’s clothes, which means they are meant to be soiled. So, choose bibs that are easy to clean. Bibs that are washable in a machine or even in a dishwasher help ease laundry work.
- Comfortable to wear: Bibs are available in different materials. If the material does not suit your child, they may not like wearing it. Ensure that the bib you buy is soft, light, and easily wearable over clothes, so your baby does not feel irritated.
- Snug fit: Proper fitting of the bib also matters to a large extent. Ill-fitting bibs or big, loose bibs can make babies uncomfortable around their neck. Hence, ensure you use a proper fitting bib for your baby.
- Attractive design: Check out our list of baby bibs, and you will see the variety in bib designs and shapes. Bibs are even available in different themes such as cartoons and fruits. You can buy one that will attract your baby, so they can be more than happy to wear it.
Madison Loethen, a mommy and motherhood, home, and lifestyle content creator, says, “Bibs are a must. Cloth bibs, in particular, are great for round-the-clock wear to catch drool and spit-ups. You may also choose waterproof silicone bibs for meal times, as they do not stain easily and are easy to clean.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are silicone bibs safe?
A major concern with silicone bibs is their weight. Parents feel that silicone bibs might feel heavy around their baby’s neck. This is not true. Silicone bibs are comfortable to wear. These bibs are made from food-grade silicone and are waterproof and stain-proof. They are easy to wash in a dishwasher and are durable and long-lasting, unlike cloth bibs. However, when silicone bibs come directly in contact with the baby’s skin, their texture is likely to irritate the baby. So, it is better to wear the bib over clothes.
2. How long should babies wear bibs?
Babies usually stop drooling and learn to eat properly by the age of two years. Your baby can wear a bib while eating or even otherwise for as long as you feel they need it. However, do not make it a habit that it becomes difficult for them to eat without a bib.
3. Do newborns need bibs?
A bib is helpful for newborns during feeds, as newborns drool or spit up while learning to latch correctly. It is also beneficial to catch the milk drip while feeding. Bibs can prevent the mother’s and baby’s clothes from turning wet.
4. Should babies sleep with bibs on?
It is recommended that babies should sleep without bibs as it may cause strangling.
5. Are burp cloths and bibs the same?
Burp cloths are free-standing. They help in cleaning the spit-ups while burping your baby. Bibs go around the baby’s neck and are attached with strings or fasteners.
6. How long do babies wear feeding bibs?
Babies can wear feeding bibs from birth to toddlerhood. However, caregivers or parents should never leave a baby unattended when they wear a bib.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Bibs are handy products that protect your baby’s dress from getting dirty while they enjoy their food. Vibha Navarathna, our seasoned writer and reviewer of baby products, has handpicked the best bibs for babies that are easy to clean, comfortable, and come in many colors and designs. To help you learn more about the recommended products, she has highlighted their quality specifications, additional features, and pros and cons, included a buying guide, and answered some frequently asked questions.
And with that, the list of the best bibs for babies provided above will help you keep your little one’s clothes from getting dirty while feeding. The list has been organized thoughtfully; hence, it can be a great buying guide for you to choose. However, when you buy one, ensure that it is made from non-toxic material and is easy to clean and maintain. Moreover, opt for thin absorbent materials that dry faster for repeated use.
Infographic: Types Of Bibs And Reasons Why Baby Need A Bib
A bib is a small piece of clothing tied around a baby’s neck and is usually made of soft, absorbent fabric or silicone material. The following infographic provides information about the different types of bibs available in the market and discusses why bibs are must-have baby accessories.
- CPSC Warns About Worn Vinyl Baby Bibs.
- Drawstrings in Children’s Upper Outerwear.