Ask any parent, and they will tell you just how difficult it is to keep a child entertained and engaged. Since they are always full of energy, high on curiosity, and low on keeping still, finding a toy or an accessory may pose a challenge, especially when it comes to their safety. However, with big wheels, your child will never see a moment of boredom. So, what is a big wheel for kids? Simply put, big wheels are low-riding tricycles. A slightly different version of a bicycle, most big wheels feature a larger front wheel and two smaller ones at the back.
But as with any toy or vehicle we choose for our children, we must keep its safety features in mind. Let’s take a look at a few important safety tips before purchasing big wheels for kids followed by MomJunction’s list of the 13 best big wheels for kids.
Safety Tips For Big Wheels
- Only introduce a big wheel trike to your child when the age is right. If it is too heavy, your child may have a hard time maneuvering and controlling it.
- Most big wheel tricycles are designed to go both backwards and forwards. So, choose one with pedals that are not too stiff.
- Consider buying one with a large wheelbase. It provides more stability and can prevent it from tipping over easily.
- The handlebars shouldn’t be too tight, nor too loose.
- If the child is comfortable in the tricycle, a lot of other factors automatically come into play. So, choose one with an ergonomically designed seat that provides maximum comfort.
Now, let’s explore the different types of big wheels.
Types Of Big Wheels
1. Classic Big Wheels For Kids
Also known as lowrider big wheels, these are the most common ones. It comes with a backward-leaning seat, which is set low towards the ground. The pedals are placed on either side of the front tire. While the back tires are fixed, the handlebars move the front wheel.
2. Push Big Wheels For Kids
Designed especially for toddlers or children who aren’t old enough to ride a tricycle, these push-along wheels come with a low seat as well. As it doesn’t come with pedals, they will have to use their feet to propel themselves forward.
3. Upright Big Wheels For Kids
Similar to classic big wheels, it comes with a large front tire. It is the perfect transition tricycle for children who are looking to switch from push big wheels to classic big wheels.
Now, we will take a look at MomJunction’s list of the 13 best big wheels for children.
Top Products From Our List
13 Best Big Wheels To Buy In 2021
The first thing that will catch your eye is the vibrant blue color of this trike. It comes with a comfortable wide seat, and rugged tires that provide a steady and stable wheelbase. The easy-grip handlebars make it a joy to ride, and it also comes with a secret compartment in which your child can store toys or snacks.
- Styled with cool graphics and stickers
- Comfortable pedals in the front wheel
- The seat can be lifted for storage
- The tires are suitable for ‘off-road’ adventures
- Big pedals
- The child has to be at least 3.5ft tall for his legs to reach the pedals
Ideal for older kids, this big wheel is an admirable combination of style, functionality, and safety. It is made with a sturdy steel frame, and the front caliper brake along with the rear coaster brake makes it a very safe bike. Its wide tires also ensure more stability, and the bike also features a non-slip pedal.
- Easy to assemble
- Comes with training wheels
- Tight-grip handle brakes
- Comes with an enclosed chain guard
- Available in 7 colors
- Soft seating
- Might be slightly heavy
With this tricycle, you don’t have to worry about purchasing a new one every few years. It comes with an adjustable seat, which can go backwards and forwards. This makes it compatible for the changes in your child’s height. It also features mustache-style cruiser handlebars and chrome fenders.
- Safe and low seat
- Chrome-finish handlebars
- Full-steel construction
- Real wood deck
- Includes tassels and a bell
- The assembly may be time-consuming
If your toddler is ready to graduate to a ‘big kid’ cycle, this is a bike to watch out for. Its sturdy steel frame makes it a safe bicycle, and the design makes it stand a class apart. The wide-set handlebars make it a smooth ride, while also helping improve your child’s motor skills.
- Beautiful design
- Comes with a handlebar pad
- Includes a rear coaster brake
- Comes with adjustable and removable training wheels
- The assembly guide is not well-detailed
This scooter is ideal for children who can’t be bothered with pedaling and would rather scoot their way to glory. As it comes with 12-inch bike-style tires, it can comfortably ride over bumpy or non-paved roads. Its handlebars are modeled after those of a BMX bike and the scooter itself is designed with cool graphics.
- The foot deck is wide making it easy to balance
- Comes with a freestyle adjustable handlebar
- Can hold upto 220 lbs
- Includes 2 axle pegs
- Measures 33 inches in height
- The breaks are stiff and hard to assemble
A sight to behold, this tricycle comes in a chopper-style racing design. The enormous 16-inch front wheel comes with a performance grip, ensuring that it doesn’t spin out. The seat can be adjusted to your child’s comfort levels and is ideal for children between the ages of 3-7.
- Chrome handlebars
- 7 inch rear wheels
- Low center of gravity
- Can accommodate upto 65 lbs
- Award-winning trike
- As the front wheel is made of plastic not rubber, there isn’t too much friction to ride it in uneven grounds
If your child dreams of being a cop or wants to make sure that his neighborhood is safe, this trike can help him out on his venture. It comes with a removable seat that can be fit back in the slots provided, and also comes with a secret handlebar storage compartment. The large front wheel allows for faster pedaling.
- Features PAW patrol characters
- Includes lights and sound effects
- Also comes with a walkie-talkie that plays sounds
- The pedals are slip-resistant
- Stable wheelbase
- The assembly guide is not thorough
Now your child can ride into the beautiful kingdom of Arendelle in this Frozen-themed bicycle. Suitable for children between the ages of 3-5, it features a front handbrake and rear coaster brake for easy riding. It also comes with a hand slot on the seat, so you can teach your child how to ride in ease.
- Features graphics of characters from ‘Frozen’
- Decorated and fully-enclosed chain guard
- Shimmery handlebar storage bag
- Comes with tassels on the handlebar
- Easy to assemble in 4 quick steps
- Slightly expensive
Perfect for kids who are already a pro at riding bicycles, and for those who are still yet learning, this bike comes with a comfortable foot brake for easy handling. It looks like a pro rider’s bike and comes with metal spoked wheels and black grips. The chain guard ensures that your child is safe from cuts and scratches.
- Comes with removable training wheels
- The low stand-over frame makes it easy to control
- Sturdy 4 piece handlebars
- 18-inch wheels
- Adjustable seat
- User manual guide is not thorough for assembly
Now here’s a children’s vehicle that will make any terrain look like it’s a smooth sidewalk. This Jurassic World themed racer can glide on grass, hard surfaces, and even rough terrains. As it has to be parent-controlled, you can always keep an eye on your child when he is driving this vehicle.
- Comes with a power-lock brake system
- Can hold upto 65 lbs
- Comes with a 12-volt battery and charger
- Wide tires for maximum safety
- The dinosaur’s mouth can be opened and closed manually
- Can only reach a maximum speed of 6mph on rough terrains
This big wheel bike is molded with a steel frame, which makes it extremely sturdy. The alloy also makes the seat easy to release for quick height adjustments. It features a front handbrake and a rear coaster brake, making it easy to maneuver and handle. The tires are 12 inches, and comfort grips make it a joy to ride.
- Comfortable and bright handlebars
- Protective translucent chain guard
- Seat is well-padded
- Alloy spokes support the wheels
- Tools are included
- Removable training wheels
- The pedals may be a little too stiff
When we go to an amusement park, the first thing any kid wants to do is get into a racing kart. Now, you can bring this pedal go-kart home and give him the same experience. It can be used both indoors and outdoors, and this kart is an auto clutch-free ride. It comes with low wheels and a 3-point steering wheel.
- Adjustable seat
- Steel tube powder coating
- Doesn’t require any batteries or charging
- Fun graphics
- Although the packaging indicates it is suitable for children upto 12 years, tall children above the age of 8 will note that their knees hit the wheels
Ideal for the cute little princess in your home, this big wheel tricycle can be personalized with your child’s favorite characters. One simply has to paste the stickers on during assembly. It comes with a 15 inch front wheel, which makes it easy to ride and control.
- LED lights turn on the front wheel as your child rides it
- The 15-inch wheel can be adjusted in 3 positions
- Thick wheels for better control
- Easy assembly
- As it comes with small parts, it is not suitable for children under 3 years of age
We will now take a quick look at how big wheels are beneficial for your child.
Benefits Of Big Wheels
- It is a perfect ‘first bike’ before transitioning to one without training wheels.
- It teaches them independence.
- It can help in improving their hand-eye coordination and motor skills.
- It helps in improving their balance and coordination.
- It builds their confidence.
- It improves their cognitive abilities and problem-solving skills.
How To Choose The Right Big Wheels?
There are a few things one must keep in mind when buying big wheels for kids:
1. Your Child’s Abilities
The first thing to consider when buying a big wheel for your child is your child’s age and abilities. Only when your child can walk on his own and his feet can reach the pedals easily is when you should ideally purchase one.
Ensure that the seat is placed low, and the front wheel is large and sturdy. This makes it easy for the child to be in control of the tricycle.
Choose big wheels that aren’t very heavy nor too lightweight. If it is heavy it will be hard for your child to control or maneuver it, and if it is too light, it may easily tip over and may cause injuries.
As most big wheels can go both backwards and forwards, it is wise to choose one with a pedal that is not too stiff. Only if it only goes forwards, a stiff pedal may make your child’s leg hurt and discourage him from learning how to ride the tricycle.
Wide-set handlebars give the trike a better balance and also make it easier for the child to control the trike’s direction. The handlebars shouldn’t be too tight, nor too loose.
Are you ready to give your child his first-ever big wheel bicycle, or are you looking for an upgrade? No matter what the reason is, we hope that you have found one that fits the bill perfectly from the list provided above. But before you buy any big wheels for your kids, we urge you to take a look at the safety tips, tips on how to choose one, and why big wheels are beneficial for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. At what age is it appropriate to purchase big wheels for my child?
Before you purchase a big wheel tricycle for your child, ensure that your child can stand properly and walk a few steps on his own. Besides basic foot control, parents must also ask themselves other questions such as, ‘Are my child’s legs long enough to reach the pedal?’, ‘Are they able to sit on the trike without falling off?’ and ‘Can they turn corners?’. If the answer to any of these questions is a ‘No’, you may want to wait a while before introducing your child to a trike.
2. Does my child need to wear protection when using big wheels?
As children don’t fully develop their hand-eye coordination until the age of 7, children must wear protective gear such as knee and elbow pads and a helmet while riding big wheels.
- Best Baby First Aid Kids
- Best Baby Doll Accessories
- Best Stroller Organizers
- Best Squishies Toys
- Babyhug Fun N Learn Ride-On