Checking behind you while traversing through traffic on a bicycle is important for your safety. But this is also a bit dangerous as you have to take your eyes off the road ahead of you. This is why you need to get your hands on the best bike mirrors.
Sam Lawrence, a cycling fanatic, reviewer of e-bikes, and professional bike mechanic, says, “You can keep yourself alert to approaching vehicles by using a bicycle mirror. A mirror increases comfort as well, as you don’t need to turn your head to look behind you constantly–this helps relieve neck strain while biking. Moreover, it takes only a few minutes to install a bike mirror.”
A good bike mirror can help you keep your eye on the traffic behind you so that you don’t have to keep looking over your shoulder. These mirrors are lightweight, unobtrusive, and are designed to be installed on the handlebars. They come in various sizes and types, such as drop-bar bicycle mirrors, bike helmet mirrors, eyewear mirrors, and lens-mounted mirrors. Read on as we list some best-selling, expert-approved bike mirrors that will work best for your bike.
11 Best Bike Mirrors Of 2023
The Mirrycle slim profile bicycle mirror has a diameter of 76.2mm and can be quickly mounted at the end of the handlebar with a wrench included with the kit. Once in place, it can be adjusted as per the rider’s requirements. It has a wide convex surface designed to pivot to any angle, allowing you to comfortably view the rear traffic. This video takes you through this product’s details.
- Suitable for handlebars with a diameter of 13.75 – 22.5mm
- Durable build suitable for mountain bikes
- Instructions for assembly included
- Vibrations from rough path may lead to cracks
- May have a brittle finish
Created with a durable stainless steel lens, this field-tested bike side mirror can withstand impact. The versatile bike mirror can be installed on the right or left side of the handlebar. The bar end mirror is designed to be used as a side mirror on a flat handlebar and can be installed on a drop bar that most racers prefer. It fits within a handlebar of 14.8-23mm inner diameter and can be adjusted as you want while riding. For a more detailed review of this bar end mounting mirror, here’s a video.
- Nylon body
- Durable aluminum fixtures
- Adjustable to 360°
- Folds down when parking the bike
- May be smaller than expected
- May shake at times while riding
Hafny lens lets you keep an eye on a large portion of the area at the back while you’re cycling. The large mirror allows for adjustability for a comfortable view of the traffic at the back and around. This rearview mirror lens is made from durable, shatterproof glass and has a convex finish that provides the rider with a wide viewing angle. The mirror frame is made of nylon and has a reflector on the back that stands as added safety equipment when riding at night. Learn more about this tried-and-tested handlebar mounted mirror in this video.
- Can be installed below or on top of the handlebar
- Fits a mountain/cruise bike handlebar
- Suits handlebars with a 21-26mm diameter
- 360° adjustable angle
- Anti-glare and shatter-resistant mirror
- May not suit high speeds due to wind resistance
- May be smaller than expected
Zefal’s bike handlebar-mounted mirror is versatile and comes with a clamp that attaches it to any tube on the bike’s frame or its handlebars measuring 22-60mm in diameter. Additionally, it has multiple mirror positioning options for your added convenience. Therefore, it is a nice cycling accessory if you are looking for a universal mirror to switch between different bicycles with ease. The clamp-on mirror is also designed for easy installation without the need for any tools.
- Lightweight mirror that weighs two grams
- Impact- and vibration-resistant material
- Reversible design
- Chrome plating on plastic mirror
- Wavy surface may offer distorted views
- May be smaller than expected
Sprintech’s drop handlebar mirror weighs around 30 grams and is designed to let you keep an eye on traffic without having to glance over your shoulder. This field-tested and eye-catching mirror attachment is an ideal choice for racers and is designed to withstand impact. Created from lightweight materials, the mirror remains steady and does not rattle even if you are cycling over bumpy terrain and gives a comfortable view.
- Shatter-resistant build
- Provides a clear view of traffic
- Available in various colors
- Easy to install
- May bump into your legs
- May have to bend down to look
Tagvo offers a set of two convex mirrors created from highly reflective plastic. Each quality-tested mirror provides a high-definition view, ensuring increased awareness of the traffic and the surroundings. It comes with a silicone backing plate and handles that make it lightweight. The mirror weighs 29 grams, offers a wide angle of view, and can rotate to 360°, with a plane rotation of 180°.
- Strap with a buckle for installation
- Suits handlebars with a diameter of 15-35mm
- No tools required to install
- High-quality ABS material
- Convex surface may offer distorted views
- May require frequent adjusting
Created with a unique movable lens that rotates over 360°, this time-tested option is suitable for a road bike. It weighs about 115 grams and is built for easy and quick adjustability that ensures a comfortable viewing angle for the rider. It helps them remain safe when riding in areas with heavy traffic, where the risks of getting hit by vehicles from the back are high. The pole on which the mirror is positioned is flexible, so the riders can easily adjust its angle for a quick glance even if they are riding.
- Tools are not required for installation
- Protective soft plastic inside keeps mirror intact
- Durable convex mirror made from glass
- Suits 22-32mm diameter handlebars
- Lens may not offer magnification
- Mount may be flimsy
This compact rear view mirror for a bicycle has a total height of 120mm. It can be installed with minimal tools, and the convex mirror provides good viewing angles. The glass used in creating the bar end mirror also allows the rider to have clear visibility of traffic, eliminating the need to look back often.
- Made from durable materials
- Fits standard size handlebars
- Compatible on additional bar extensions
- Stable and compact mirror
- May be too big for some
- May require frequent tightening
The tried-and-trusted bicycle mirrors for handlebars are versatile and can be installed within minutes using minimal tools. Each glass lens is 125mm long and provides a good view of the traffic and street behind. It is a set of two mirrors, and each mirror has a stylish finish, making it an eye-catching attachment to the bicycle. The pair can also be used on the motorcycle handlebars.
- Rotates over 360°
- Suits handlebars with a diameter of 22-25mm
- Acts as a side view and rear view mirror
- Mirror offers image stabilization
- May require additional spacers for a tight fit
- Mounting clamp may be smaller for some types of bikes
Cat Eye’s elegant road bike mirror is easily installed onto the end of a handlebar to let you keep an eye on the happenings behind you. With this mirror, you can ensure cycling safety, especially in traffic-prone areas. It is one of the top glass mirrors that is durable and resistant to damage caused by scratches.
- Allows for easy adjustability
- Available as left and right handlebar options
- Provides a wide viewing angle
- Easy to install
- May require regular adjustments
- Headlight might create multiple mirror reflections at night
The road bike mirror comes with a high-quality glass lens to easily check the traffic when on the road. It is an adjustable mirror designed to go onto the left side of the bar, and you can adjust it by its arm’s length. The handlebar-mounted mirror can be installed easily with a hex key and torque, and it is designed to fit a handlebar on specific bikes and offer convenience on your outdoor adventures. The rearview mirror has a lens with anti-glare coating, and it can be rotated easily.
- Suitable for handlebars with 22.2mm diameter
- Made from impact resistant and reinforced nylon
- Adjustable to 360°
- Anti-glare mirror with up to 75% coverage
- May not suit handlebars with thumb-shifting controls
- May vibrate out of alignment upon usage
How To Choose The Right Bike Mirror?
Here are a few tips to help you choose the right type of bike mirror for your needs.
- The type of handlebar: The handlebar type determines the mirror you should choose. Racing bikes with drop bars can be easily fitted with a low-profile mirror within the handlebar, while bikes with straight handlebars can be equipped with bigger bicycle mirrors.
- Diameter of the bar: A handlebar mirror should have a clamp that suits the diameter of the bar. So, measure the rod where you are going to attach the mirror for picking the right size.
- Lens material: Durability and the ability to withstand damage caused by impacts are essential factors to look for when choosing bicycle mirrors. For example, you can look for a steel lens mirror if you have a road bike or a glass mirror if you want a drop bar mirror for a racing bike.
- Curve surface and adjustability: Some prefer a rearview mirror with a convex surface. Others prefer a flat surface that reduces the amount of distortion and provides clearer traffic and road visibility. Also, check if the mirror is versatile and can be adjusted to 360°.
- Terrain: For off-road bikes, a lightweight mountain bike mirror that can withstand bumps can be good. A road bike must have a wide-angle mirror for larger and wider viewing options.
- Type of mirror: When you have a lightweight bike built for racing, you can try a drop bar mirror, a helmet mirror, a low-profile eyeglass mirror, or one that can be attached to a sunglass.
- Left or right orientation: Consider the mirror mount location. Whether you want the bike handlebar mirror mounted on the right or left of the handlebar and find a suitable option.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Bike mirrors are crucial as they facilitate safe driving and help you keep an eye on the traffic. However, choosing the most suitable mirror for your bike might get tricky with various options available online. To help you in that pursuit, Wedetso Chirhah, our in-house writer and reviewer of car and bike accessories, brings you some of the best bike mirrors along with a buying guide. These mirrors are durable, high-quality, long-lasting, and chosen based on user reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need two mirrors on my bicycle?
You can use two mirrors on your bicycle to be extra cautious of your surroundings and check the traffic behind you. Having mirrors on both sides of the bicycle can help you take risk-free turns during rush hours and reduce the chances of accidents.
2. Should the bike mirror be on the left or right?
Mirrors are usually attached based on the side you ride your vehicle on. For example, you can put bike mirrors on the left side of the bicycle if you drive on the right side. So check the handlebar to ensure it has a left or right mounting option.
3. Where should bike mirrors be placed?
Bike mirrors can be attached to the handlebar of the bike. You can get single or dual mirrors for your motorcycle based on personal preference or the local driving rules.
Bicycle mirrors are indispensable for the rider’s safety as they help you keep an eye on the traffic behind you and traverse smoothly across busy streets. However, the wrong mirror can put you at risk and create a bad driving experience. The best bike mirrors come in different shapes and diameters that can fit on various handlebars with ease. We recommend the Mirrycle Mountain Bicycle Mirror for its lightweight yet durable build; the Hafny Handlebar Bike Mirror for its 360-degree adjustable angle and flexibility; and the Meachow Handlebar Bike Mirror, which has an impact-resistant, anti-glare design.These best-selling ones are also durable, effortless to install, and ensure a comfortable and safe ride.