Learning how to ride a bike is an important skill many children pick up during childhood. It enables children to experience complete freedom while having fun with their friends. However, since you also want them to be safe while they pedal away, look into buying the best bikes for kids. Most modern bikes fulfill this requirement as they come with many safety features.
Nurturing the habit of regular cycling will encourage your little one to adopt a healthy lifestyle and spend more time playing outdoors. But how do you choose the right bike for your child? Below, we have listed some of the most popular and efficient bikes for kids that are suitable for various age groups.
Top 15 Bikes For Kids To Buy
Here is a list of bicycles that you may want to consider purchasing for your child.
1. Best For Learning Basic Cycling: Schwinn balance bike
- This bike is available in ten color variants.
- It is designed to look like a BMX.
- This bike has a steel frame, and the pedal-free design makes it easy for kids to ride it around.
- Its air-filled wheels are made of 12″ spoked material.
- The foot-to-floor design ensures the safety of children.
- The seat can be adjusted according to the child’s height.
- The company offers a limited lifetime warranty.
- Adult supervision is mandatory for learners.
2. Best Pedal-Free Push Bicycle: Retrospec balance no pedal bicycle
It is a simple, pedal-free push bicycle designed for beginners. You may check more about this product from this video.
- It is available in more than 15 different color options.
- The foot-to-floor and step-through frame design ensure child safety.
- This bicycle is maintenance-free and requires minimal effort for assembly.
- It has air-free tires that never go flat.
- This bike is also certified by CPSC for compliance with all the safety features.
- Some users may find the handle too big.
- The painting finish on the bike is not durable.
3. Best For Customization: Joystar kids bicycle
- This bicycle comes in seven color variants and is easy to assemble. The package also consists of decal stickers that children can use to customize their bikes as they like.
- The seat adjustment is simplified with the quick release technology. The seat comes with a saddle holder that adults can hold on to while teaching how to ride.
- Foot brakes can be applied if the child is unfamiliar with the hand brakes.
- The body of the cycle is made of premium steel.
- This bike comes with black tires and can be run only on a single speed.
- It is not sturdy or long-lasting.
4. Best For Young Girls: RoyablBaby Stargirl bike
Ideal for girls, this bicycle with training wheels and a cute handlebar can make your child really happy.
- This elegant little cycle comes in two color variants.
- It has a basket, a horn, and reflectors.
- Its heavy-duty training wheels ensure safety when the child is practicing to ride the bike.
- It can be easily assembled and requires minimum maintenance.
- The body of the cycle is made of Hi-Ten steel.
- It has an enclosed chain guard and non-slip resin pedal with reflectors.
- The bike also has a front hand brake and a rear coaster brake.
- The gearing and peddling resistance is quite low.
5. Best Adjustable Training Wheels: Diamondback mini viper bicycle
This bike is ideal for kids who are at an intermediate level with their riding skills.
- This cycle is made of a heavy-duty steel frame.
- It has a junior, padded seat.
- The alloy wheels have 28H rims.
- Its durable plastic chainguard ensures the skin and clothing stay clean and protected from any chain abrasions.
- The training wheels are fully adjustable.
- The bike has a coaster brake for the benefit of younger riders.
- Some users may experience a squeaky noise while cycling.
6. Best Unique Square-Tube Frame: RoyalBaby kids bike
Looking for a bike that is not just good looking but amazingly functional as well? Here you go!
- This bicycle comes in six color variants.
- It has a unique square-tube frame that gives the cycle an attractive look.
- It has patented 2.4” wide tires to ensure stability while riding.
- The bike comes with a front handbrake and a Quando coaster brake for safety.
- The cycle also has TPR soft grips and non-slip pedals with reflectors.
- This is easy to assemble, and the package contains a bell, designer frame pad, and sturdy training wheels.
- Some users may have difficulty peddling due to the heavy-weight of the bicycle.
7. Best BMX Bike For Transitioning: Mongoose Legion BMX bike for kids
The perfect bike for kids transitioning from a regular bicycle to a BMX.
- It is available in six color and three style variants.
- This BMX style bike has aluminum U-brakes that provide precision and speed control.
- It also has a Hi-Ten steel handlebar joined by a fork stem for improving the steering performance.
- The brakes are weak and require heavy force.
8. Best Adjustable Seat: JoyStar kids cycle
A pretty cycle in unicorn shades that your child may want to flaunt while riding.
- This bike comes in two size variants with 12” and 14” training wheels.
- It has a sturdy body made of 1.2mm premium steel that aids in providing support during the bumpy learning sessions.
- Its seat can be adjusted as per the height of the child.
- The bike has a coaster brake and a chain guard to ensure the safety of the rider.
- It is also safe for evenings or night-time riding as it comes with reflectors for enhanced visibility.
- Low maintenance and easy initial assembly make it a favorite among parents too.
- The paint job on the cycle is subpar.
9. Best Full-Coverage Chain Guard: Schwinn elm bike
This pretty bike has smart design features that set it apart from the rest. Let’s have a look at what makes it unique.
- This bicycle comes in three color variants and five wheel sizes to suit children of all ages.
- The bike is optimally designed to fit children of all ages comfortably.
- It comes with an advanced peddling technology that narrows the position to match the width of a child’s hips.
- The seat can be adjusted to suit the child’s height.
- The bike has a full-coverage chain guard to protect the child from any abrasions.
- It includes training wheels, front basket, and saddle handle for towing and storage.
- Schwinn also offers a limited lifetime warranty on this bike.
- Depending on the usage or wear-and-tear, the bike may not be durable or long-lasting for some users.
10. Best Dual Disc Brakes: Nice C BMX bike for kids
This BMX bike for children comes with dual disc brakes for extra safety.
- You can choose from several colors and wheel-size options for the bike.
- The body is lightweight and is made of magnesium alloy metal.
- It has thick tires that provide a smooth riding experience to the users.
- This comes with a dual braking system, with a regular brake and a disc brake.
- The company offers a three-month return and exchange warranty for manufacturing defects.
- Not all users found the disk brake to be very smooth or effective.
11. Best Easy-To-Assemble: Huffy Spiderman bicycle
Whether or not your child is a fan of Spiderman, the cool graphics will keep them glued to the bicycle.
- The manufacturer offers multiple style, size, and color variants for this bike.
- Assembling this cycle is easy. Its handlebar has a 3D Spiderman logo with web tread sidewalk tires to make it very attractive.
- The wide training wheels provide a comfortable riding experience.
- It has a front and rear hand brake for maximum safety.
- The padded seat has Spiderman graphics too.
- Its durable and sturdy frame makes the cycle long-lasting.
- Some users may find the training wheels to be bumpy or unstable.
12. Best Speed Control: Retrospec Koda kids bike
Give your kids this sporty bike to help them transition from beginner to intermediate level.
- This lovely kids bike comes in eight color and two style variants.
- It has a hand-built steel frame and a complete chain guard for added protection.
- The adjustable training wheels provide stability while riding.
- It has wide and grippy tires for total control over sidewalks and driveways.
- The front caliper brake and rear coaster brake enable the riders to choose how they want to slow down and stop the bike.
- These bikes also come with other options such as baskets and water bottle holders.
- The bike is 95% assembled before delivery, making it quicker for your child to start riding.
- This bicycle’s seat is not very durable.
- Can be a little heavy for some kids.
13. Best Padded Comfort Saddle: Duzy Customs kids bike
Your search for an attractive beginners’ cycle ends with this one by Duzy Customs.
- This cycle comes in four size and five color variants.
- It has 2.4-inch thick street-style tires.
- The seat has a padded comfort saddle and a parent handle for teaching the kid to ride a bike.
- This bike also has rear coaster and front bulldog caliper brakes.
- The chain guard is fully protected and ensures zero abrasions while riding.
- It can be assembled quickly, and the fold-out pedals make it easy to store when not in use.
- The seat can also be adjusted as per your kid’s height.
- The company also offers a limited lifetime warranty.
- Some users may find the cycle to be very heavy.
- It is not very sturdy or long-lasting.
Safety Tips To Follow When Riding A Bike
A bike is as much a means of transport as it is a plaything for a child. Considering that it is used outdoors and can expose the child to a bit of risk, they must follow certain safety precautions while using it.
Here are some safety measures that children should follow to stay safe while riding a bike.
- Wear a helmet that fits right, to protect against injury.
- Ensure the bicycle suits your child’s height. When their feet touch the ground, it is easier to balance while practicing or in case of a fall.
- It is important to check if the seat and handlebars are fitted tightly.
- The brakes should also be working well and must not be too tight or loose.
- The bike’s wheels should be aligned well for a smooth and easy ride.
- Buy a bike that suits your child’s age and body proportions as well.
- For beginners, it is ideal to buy a bicycle that has training wheels.
- Advise the kids to ride only on the walkways, sidewalk, bike lanes, playing area, parks, or the backyard. Ensure that they do not take the bike to busy roads or streets where cars and other vehicles pass.
- Adult supervision is mandatory for beginners.
- Children who can ride independently must follow traffic rules and obey all the signs of safety.
- Kids should wear bright clothes during the day and neon or fluorescent colored clothing in the evening or night to improve their visibility outside.
- Educate kids about the importance of looking for hazards. Potholes, puddles, and speed bumps, etc. may lead to a crash when not evaded.
- Ensure the bike is serviced regularly and the chain is oiled at periodic intervals.
How To Choose The Right Bikes For Kids?
Sam Lawrence, a cycling fanatic, reviewer of e-bikes, and professional bike mechanic, says, “Shopping for bikes is always an exciting endeavor. But when looking for a bike for your kids, don’t get overwhelmed by the information available. There are so many types of bikes, styles, and sizes that it takes a lot of work to narrow down your choice.”
He adds, “Do extensive research, read reviews, and get the opinions of professional cyclists and parents alike. Always choose the best materials, components, brakes, and gears for reliable and safe rides no matter your child’s level.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
To help your child have a pleasurable riding experience, Wedetso Chirhah, our in-house writer and reviewer of children’s products, has compiled a list of the best bikes for kids. He has considered factors such as comfort, style, safety features, and more, to ensure a seamless shopping experience for you. Wedetso has also highlighted the pros and cons of each product and included a section that lists some safety tips that one should note before riding a bike.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are boys’ and girls’ bikes different?
Yes, boys’ and girls’ bikes are different in some aspects. Unlike a boys’ bike, a girls’ bike is lighter, shorter, and has a U-shaped top tube rather than a straight one.
2. Should I fit stabilizers into a kids’ bike?
Yes, if your child is a beginner, a stabilizer might be a practical solution to ensure your child’s safety while teaching them how to ride a bike.
3. Do kids’ bikes need suspension forks and lots of gears?
If your child wants to ride their bike on a mountain or uneven ground, a bike with a suspension fork and gears would be preferable for a stable ride.
4. How can I tell when my child has outgrown a bike?
You will notice a few things when your child outgrows a bike. For example, when the bike seat becomes smaller than required, your child has to bend their knees too much while pedaling, or the bike can’t be adjusted any higher. In such cases, you need to choose an age-appropriate option for your child.
Children enjoy cycling from early childhood. Cycling is a fun activity that children love indulging in and also helps them stay active and fit. The best cycle for children ideally has a sturdy frame, comfortable seat, good braking system, and safe tires. So, when you are purchasing a cycle for your child, make sure it has an adjustable seat that would be helpful when they grow up. Also, encourage them to ride safely and use the necessary gears to protect themselves.