A birthing ball is known to ease pain, provide comfort, reduce stress, open pelvic muscles, and bring the baby to the right position. The market has a lot of such birthing or pregnancy balls for exercising and stretching. You can get the right birthing ball that suits your requirements, but make sure to use it under a professional’s supervision after consulting your doctor.
We bring you a list of the best birthing balls in this MomJunction post, along with their pros and cons. Go through them, compare, and pick the best one for yourself.
Safety Measures To Consider When Using Birthing Ball
It is always recommended to follow an expert’s guidance when exercising during pregnancy. We have some safety tips for you to follow when using a birthing ball.
- Use a firm ball that gives a gentle bounce and doesn’t slip away frequently.
- Choose a ball based on your height. Ideally, short-height women can use a 55cm ball, medium-height women can use a ball of 65cm size, and tall women can have a 75cm ball.
- Do not place the birthing ball on the floor, use it on a carpet or rug to avoid a slip.
- Take the support of a chair or sofa or wall when stretching or exercising with the birthing ball.
- Your exercise and stretching forms should be simple and not strenuous. The movement should be slow and not fast.
- Do not exercise alone. Always do it with the help of your husband or family member or a professional.
11 Best Birthing Balls
The thick and reliable birthing ball is made of high-quality PVC material and is free from toxic and BPA substances. It is available in different sizes, including small, large, double extra large, and trips extra large. Get this versatile ball home and help yourself in relieving stress.
- Durable and safer
- Has anti-burst design
- Comes with anti-slip feature
- Can hold 2200lb weight
- Ideal for all exercises
- May not hold air properly
- May not offer stability
The high-quality professional-grade birthing ball comes with a hand pump, valve remover, and two air plugs. It comes in three sizes, including 65cm, 75cm, and 85cm. You can get any birthing ball size as per your requirements and stay healthy during pregnancy.
- Made of good-quality PVC material
- Free from BPA, phthalate, heavy metal, and toxic
- Anti-burst and non-slip feature
- Supports 2200lb weight
- Provides multipurpose benefits
- May not be long-lasting
- May not be round in shape
Helpful in prenatal and birthing exercises, this birthing ball is made of elastic and soft PVC material. It is easy to hold, and you can relax on it whenever you feel stressed. Anyone can use the ball for various purposes, such as for correct posture, labor support, and more.
- Non-stick and anti-slip feature
- Uniform thickness of 0.2cm
- Can hold 2000lb weight
- Burst resistant and versatile
- Comes with a hand pump and exercise guide
- May have inflating issues
The all-rounder birthing ball comes with a foot pump, measuring tape, plug, and remover. It provides a good chance to perform stretching and simple prenatal exercises to stay de-stressed and fit during the pregnancy period.
- Slip-resistant and anti-burst feature
- Available in five sizes and seven colors
- Made of durable and thick material
- Can be cleaned easily
- Can hold 2000lb weight
- May lose air after use
Keep your body relaxed and fit with the help of this birthing ball during pregnancy. The ball can be used for multiple purposes, such as stretching, sitting on it, and relaxing. It is made of professional-grade material that is safe and durable for use.
- Supports 600lb weight
- Burst-resistant and low-odor material
- Free from toxic substances
- Available in different sizes
- May not be durable
Keep your pregnancy stress at bay using this birthing ball for simple stretches. It is made with an eco-friendly, professional-grade rubber material. The ball supports 1000lb weight and has horizontal lines to give a firm grip when holding.
- Free from heavy metals and BPA
- Comes with pumping tube
- Anti-slip and anti-burst
- Easy to clean and inflate
- May not withstand heavy weight
- May not last for long
The premium-quality birthing ball helps you to stay calm and fit during pregnancy. It is made of premium-quality rubber material, which is durable and eco-friendly. It can be used for exercises and as a chair to correct body posture.
- Available in eight colors and three sizes
- Comes with a free pump
- Has burst-resistant feature
- Durable and versatile
- Supports 2000lb weight
- Size may differ from what’s shown
Made of heavy-weight vinyl, this birthing ball is about 1.5 times thicker and durable than other exercise balls. The package includes two resistant bands, inflatable stability ring, foot pump, cleaning pad, and a few accessories. It can be used for prenatal and birthing exercises.
- Versatile and slip-resistant
- Safe and durable
- Odor-free and explosion-proof
- Can support 2200lb weight
- Easy to use and clean
- Size may not be suitable for all
The professional-quality pregnancy ball could relax your pain, strengthen your core, and open up your muscles. It is made of eco-friendly PVC material and is safe to use. The ball is lightweight and can hold up to 600lb of weight. Practice using it regularly and stay relaxed.
- Durable matte finish
- Explosion-proof material used
- Has anti-slip feature
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Thick and non-toxic
- May not withstand heavyweight
Available in three different sizes, the birthing ball is made of high-quality material and is ideal for stretching and doing simple exercises during pregnancy. The ball also comes with an optional base and a hand pump to inflate.
- Available in different colors
- Has anti-slip feature
- Versatile and anti-burst
- Requires less maintenance
- Offers stability on any surface
- May get deflated soon
Safe and stable, this birthing ball can be an ideal exercise option during pregnancy. The ball comes with a few accessories such as a hand pump, measuring tape, exercise guide, and ball plugs. It is durable and can be used by anyone and for any workout purpose.
- Has anti-matte surface
- Can withstand 2000lb weight
- Versatile and provides stability
- Anti-burst feature
- Thicker and resistant to puncture
- Size could be small
Benefits Of A Birthing Ball
- Corrects body posture, provides relaxation, and improves muscle stretching
- Increases flexibility, resistance, and strength
- Helps in balancing quadriceps and lower back
- Lowers the chances of c-section
- Relieves discomfort during labor and before delivery
- Reposition the baby
- Eases labor pain and tension in the back
- Reduces anxiety and stress levels
How To Choose The Right Birthing Ball?
Some factors are to be considered when selecting an appropriate birthing ball.
- Material: The ball should be made of a durable material such as PVC or eco-friendly rubber. These are firm, light, long-lasting, and do not have any inflation problems.
- Size: A correct size of birthing ball lets you exercise without any hassle. There are three to four sizes of balls available. If you are 5’5” or shorter, use a 55cm ball. If you are between 5’5” and 5’8”, use 65cm ball. And if you are taller than 5’8”, use 75cm ball.
- Grade: Look for a professional-grade birthing ball that has an anti-slip and burst-free feature. Such a ball can withstand your pregnancy weight so that you don’t have to worry and allows you to exercise freely.
You can use the birthing ball during pregnancy, before delivery, and even after. Make sure you are using the ball as guided by an expert and follow the safety tips. Read the pros and cons of each product carefully and pick the one that suits your requirements.