If you are an expecting mom, we have made a list of the best birthing balls for you. Birthing balls help to reduce labor pain, provide comfort, open pelvic muscles, and bring the baby in the right position for delivery. They can alleviate stress and are often used for prenatal workouts.
With various options available, choose one that suits your requirements. However, it is advised to seek a doctor’s opinion before buying a birthing ball. So, check out the various sizes, materials, and features to choose the right birthing ball for yourself.
Safety Measures To Consider When Using Birthing Ball
It is always recommended to follow an expert’s guidance when exercising during pregnancy. We have some safety tips for you to follow when using a birthing ball.
- Use a firm ball that gives a gentle bounce and doesn’t slip away frequently.
- Choose a ball based on your height. Ideally, short-height women can use a 55cm ball, medium-height women can use a ball of 65cm size, and tall women can have a 75cm ball.
- Do not place the birthing ball on the floor, use it on a carpet or rug to avoid a slip.
- Take the support of a chair or sofa or wall when stretching or exercising with the birthing ball.
- Your exercise and stretching forms should be simple and not strenuous. The movement should be slow and not fast.
- Do not exercise alone. Always do it with the help of your husband or family member or a professional.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Birthing Balls
1. Best Reliable: Trideer Exercise Ball
The thick and reliable birthing ball is made of high-quality PVC material and is free from toxic and BPA substances. It is available in different sizes, including small, large, double extra large, and trips extra large. Get this versatile ball home and help yourself in relieving stress. If you want to know more about the benefits of this product, check out this quick review on YouTube.
- Durable and safer
- Has anti-burst design
- Comes with anti-slip feature
- Can hold 2200lb weight
- Ideal for all exercises
- May not hold air properly
- May not offer stability
2. Best Material Quality: Live Infinitely Exercise Ball
The high-quality professional-grade birthing ball comes with a hand pump, valve remover, and two air plugs. It comes in three sizes, including 65cm, 75cm, and 85cm. You can get any birthing ball size as per your requirements and stay healthy during pregnancy. Here’s an honest review of the product.
- Made of good-quality PVC material
- Free from BPA, phthalate, heavy metal, and toxic
- Anti-burst and non-slip feature
- Supports 2200lb weight
- Provides multipurpose benefits
- May not be long-lasting
- May not be round in shape
3. Best Easy-To-Hold: SmarterLife Products Exercise Ball
Helpful in prenatal and birthing exercises, this birthing ball is made of elastic and soft PVC material. It is easy to hold, and you can relax on it whenever you feel stressed. Anyone can use the ball for various purposes, such as for correct posture, labor support, and more.
- Non-stick and anti-slip feature
- Uniform thickness of 0.2cm
- Can hold 2000lb weight
- Burst resistant and versatile
- Comes with a hand pump and exercise guide
- May have inflating issues
4. Best Slip-Resistant: BalanceFrom Birthing Ball
The all-rounder birthing ball comes with a foot pump, measuring tape, plug, and remover. It provides a good chance to perform stretching and simple prenatal exercises to stay de-stressed and fit during the pregnancy period.
- Slip-resistant and anti-burst feature
- Available in five sizes and seven colors
- Made of durable and thick material
- Can be cleaned easily
- Can hold 2000lb weight
- May lose air after use
5. Best For Relaxing: ProBody Pilates Exercise Ball
Keep your body relaxed and fit with the help of this birthing ball during pregnancy. The ball can be used for multiple purposes, such as stretching, sitting on it, and relaxing. It is made of professional-grade material that is safe and durable for use.
- Supports 600lb weight
- Burst-resistant and low-odor material
- Free from toxic substances
- Available in different sizes
- May not be durable
6. Best For Stretching: PROMIC Exercise Ball
Keep your pregnancy stress at bay using this birthing ball for simple stretches. It is made with an eco-friendly, professional-grade rubber material. The ball supports 1000lb weight and has horizontal lines to give a firm grip when holding.
- Free from heavy metals and BPA
- Comes with pumping tube
- Anti-slip and anti-burst
- Easy to clean and inflate
- May not withstand heavy weight
- May not last for long
7. Best Durable: Wacces Professional Exercise Ball
The premium-quality birthing ball helps you to stay calm and fit during pregnancy. It is made of premium-quality rubber material, which is durable and eco-friendly. It can be used for exercises and as a chair to correct body posture.
- Available in eight colors and three sizes
- Comes with a free pump
- Has burst-resistant feature
- Durable and versatile
- Supports 2000lb weight
- Size may differ from what’s shown
8. Best Slip-Resistant: RGGD&RGGL Yoga Ball
Made of heavy-weight vinyl, this birthing ball is about 1.5 times thicker and durable than other exercise balls. The package includes two resistant bands, inflatable stability ring, foot pump, cleaning pad, and a few accessories. It can be used for prenatal and birthing exercises.
- Versatile and slip-resistant
- Safe and durable
- Odor-free and explosion-proof
- Can support 2200lb weight
- Easy to use and clean
- Size may not be suitable for all
9. Best Eco-Friendly: GalSports Pregnancy Birthing Ball
The professional-quality pregnancy ball could relax your pain, strengthen your core, and open up your muscles. It is made of eco-friendly PVC material and is safe to use. The ball is lightweight and can hold up to 600lb of weight. Practice using it regularly and stay relaxed.
- Durable matte finish
- Explosion-proof material used
- Has anti-slip feature
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Thick and non-toxic
- May not withstand heavyweight
10. Best Anti-Burst: Gaiam Essentials Balance Ball
If you have a desk job, lay your hands on this balance ball. Gaiam Essentials’ unisex balance ball measures 65cm and is built with an anti-burst high-quality rubber that can take weight up to 300lb. It helps promote better posture and alignment, thus eventually helping relieve back pain. The set comes complete with an air pump and inflatable ring base that keeps the ball from rolling.
- Available in five colors
- Includes an air pump
- Suitable for yoga
- Suitable for home or office
- May have a peculiar smell when new
11. Best Anti-Burst: Reehut Exercise Ball
The Reehut Exercise Ball is ideal for strengthening the core, improving balance, and toning the muscles. Its anti-burst material offers durability, while its anti-slip matte finish offers a secure grip. The ball is odorless and eco-friendly and is available in blue, light purple, mint green, and black. Further, it is available in three sizes, and the set comes with an air pump to inflate the ball. It also comes with a handy guide book.
- Suitable for office use
- Easy-to-clean surface
- Thick material
- May be smaller than you expect
Benefits Of A Birthing Ball
- Corrects body posture, provides relaxation, and improves muscle stretching
- Increases flexibility, resistance, and strength
- Helps in balancing quadriceps and lower back
- Lowers the chances of c-section
- Relieves discomfort during labor and before delivery
- Reposition the baby
- Eases labor pain and tension in the back
- Reduces anxiety and stress levels
How To Choose The Right Birthing Ball?
Some factors are to be considered when selecting an appropriate birthing ball.
- Material: The ball should be made of a durable material such as PVC or eco-friendly rubber. These are firm, light, long-lasting, and do not have any inflation problems.
- Size: A correct size of birthing ball lets you exercise without any hassle. There are three to four sizes of balls available. If you are 5’5” or shorter, use a 55cm ball. If you are between 5’5” and 5’8”, use 65cm ball. And if you are taller than 5’8”, use 75cm ball.
- Grade: Look for a professional-grade birthing ball that has an anti-slip and burst-free feature. Such a ball can withstand your pregnancy weight so that you don’t have to worry and allows you to exercise freely.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna writes on pregnancy, nursing, and baby products. As a mother herself, she is well versed with the needs and requirements of expecting mothers. She has scoured hundreds of websites to find the best birthing balls for a healthy and stress-free pregnancy. An ideal birthing ball should be eco-friendly, appropriately size, and durable. She has listed each product providing important details and vital factors. In addition, she has included safety measures, benefits, and a buying guide to help you select the right one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I start using a birthing ball?
Birth balls are safe to use during any trimester of pregnancy. A birthing ball can ease the aches and pains, especially when you are near the delivery date (1).
2. When should I start bouncing on a ball when pregnant?
Gentle exercises on a bouncing ball can ease pregnancy discomfort. You can start around 32 weeks (1).
3. Do birthing balls induce labor?
Birthing balls can only minimize the discomfort caused by pregnancy. However, there is no evidence that birthing balls can induce labor. But sitting in the open pelvic position on a birthing ball can only prepare your body.
4. How long should I sit on a birthing ball?
Experts recommend sitting on a birthing ball for not more than 15 to 20 minutes. You should stop using the ball as soon as you are uncomfortable in a certain position.
5. Does bouncing on a ball help open the cervix?
Applying pressure on the cervix can help in dilation. But a birthing ball can only help reduce lower back and pelvic pain in active labor (2).
6. What’s the best size for a birthing ball?
65 cm to 75 cm is the right birthing ball size for pregnancy. A high-quality birthing ball is pressure-tested and can easily bear a weight of up to 300 kg (1).
7. Is a birthing ball the same as a yoga ball?
Birthing balls are similar to yoga balls or gym balls. However, yoga balls are smaller than birthing balls.
The best birthing balls for pregnancy could help you do various exercises and relax or reduce the pain during labor. You may follow the safety instructions to avoid falls and injuries while using a birthing ball. Learning to use birthing balls from the experts is advisable to get the desired results. Go through the pros and cons of various balls to make an informed decision. Birthing balls can also help do various exercises such as strength training of the pelvic in the postpartum period.
- Using a birth ball
- How To Use A Pregnancy Ball
- Best Exercise Ball Chairs
- Best Pregnancy Nutrition Books
- Best Pregnancy Books For To-Be Moms
- Best Maternity Robes
View Profile ›