A bivy sack, or bivouac sack, is a lightweight waterproof shelter designed for hikers, campers, and mountaineers who look for minimalistic options. It is similar to a sleeping bag but has an extra protective layer that makes it larger and more comfortable than a sleeping mattress. Most bivy sacks are made of good quality and breathable fabric for durability and safety. Some people refer to the bivy sack as a one-person tent or single-person sleeping bag.
In this post, we list some of the best bivy sacks along with their pros and cons. Check them out and find the most suitable one for yourself.
11 Best Bivy Sacks
The survival bivy sack is designed to keep you warm and cozy in extreme weather conditions. It is a lightweight and compact bag made of extra-thick mylar and polyethylene material to provide complete protection. You can use it to make your hiking or camping trip comfortable or as a sleeping sack that goes into the travel emergency kit that holds your essentials for the journey.
- Tear- and weather-resistant
- Durable and reusable
- Features a Para-Synch technology paracord drawstring utility rope and a 120-decibel emergency whistle
- Has seam-sealed edges for weather protection
- Available in orange and green
- Comes with a paracord string
- Can be used as a survival shelter or emergency blanket
- May not be long-lasting
Get this super lightweight and easy-to-use bivy sleeping sack to be comfortable even when you are outdoors. The sleeping bag features HeatEcho polyester film that reflects the body’s heat. It also includes a whistle and a convenient sack to keep your accessories. You can use the sack as a survival blanket too. You can choose either the green or orange sack and take it with you on your next adventure trip.
- Compact and durable design
- Waterproof and tear-resistant
- Weighs only 4.8oz
- Has taped seams for extra protection
- Keeps you safe in cold
- Can be used as a survival kit
- May not be too strong
- Material may be a tad thin
Wrap yourself in this ultralight backpacking bivy sack to sleep comfortably outdoors. The lightweight and reusable skilled survival kit keeps you safe during extreme weather conditions and can also be used to send a distress signal in case of an emergency or rescue situations. You can use it for hiking, hunting, road trips, camping, and mountaineering. It can be folded conveniently when not in use or when traveling.
Compact and durable
Retains 90% body heat
Comes with a nylon drawstring bag
Can be used as an emergency blanket
Made of extra-thick mylar material
Can be carried to adventure trips
- Storage sack could be too small
- May not last long
You can protect yourself even in the harshest outdoor temperatures by covering yourself in this reliable shelter bivy bag. It is made of reusable and durable material to keep you safe wherever you are. The sleeping sack is available in silver, green, and orange, measures 83x34in, and weighs 8.9oz. You can use it as a warm-weather sleeping system too.
- Available in four styles
- Made of tear-resistant and waterproof material
- Doesn’t shred or get punctured
- Can keep you warm and dry
- Sleep safe in any weather
- Comes in a travel sack
- May not be suitable for all
You can use the emergency bivy sack for extra protection in snowy or cold weather conditions. It measures 37×80.7in and can be effortlessly wrapped around the body to make you feel safe and comfortable in the outdoors, be it woods, mountains, hills, or a beach. You can even use it to sleep in the car if needed. It is made of PE material that can be folded conveniently and stored in a travel bag.
- Weighs 4.1oz only
- Waterproof and tear-resistant
- Ultra-thin and durable
- Keeps you warm for 24 hours
- Resistant to heat
- Can be used as an emergency signal
- May last only for a few months
Made of insulating mylar material, the bivy sack measures 84x36in and has a five-layer coating. It retains 90% of the body’s heat and keeps you comfortable all night. The bag reflects light and keeps you warm in any weather condition. It is thin and compact and is best suited for hiking, camping, and other adventure trips. You get two high-quality sleeping sacks in this value pack.
- Thin and durable
- Doesn’t make any noise
- Tear-resistant and waterproof
- Extra-thick and reusable
- Has a yellow strip for easy visibility
- Easy-to-carry and compact design
- Doesn’t have zippers
Made of extra-thick mylar material, this compact bivy sack can make your outdoor adventures a comfortable experience. The multi-purpose bivouac bag has a unique design to protect you from the harsh weather conditions. You get not one, but two sleeping sacks in the set. Whether it is snowy or windy, this bivy sack is a good option for trouble-free sleeping outdoors. All you have to do is pull, unroll, and get inside.
- Easy to carry and lightweight
- Measures 80x47in
- Has sealed seams
- Windproof and waterproof
- High-visibility color
- Prevents hypothermia
- May not be durable
If you are a regular camper or adventurer and often sleep in the woods or inside a car, this ultralight backpacking bivy sack could be a great option. It is available in green, orange, bronze, and camouflage colors and comes in an easy-to-carry bag. It is more durable, thicker, and larger than the other emergency sleeping bags available. You can use it as an emergency signal or rain poncho too.
- Versatile and practical design
- Helps retain 90% body heat
- Doesn’t make noise
- Waterproof and tear-resistant
- Small and lightweight
- Comes with a carabiner and survival whistle
- Could be too thin
- May not be suitable in extremely cold weather
JYSW bivy sack is a suitable option for regular hikers and campers, as it is lightweight and versatile. The set brings you two sleeping bags along with a whistle and a carabiner. You can use it anywhere to feel cozy or to sleep soundly. Just pull out, unroll, and hop inside the sack. It is available in orange and camouflage colors and has tamed seams to offer you protection. You can store it in the carry bag when not in use.
- Durable and practical
- Can be used for multiple purposes
- Made of extra-thick polyethylene material
- Helps retain body heat
- Can withstand heavy rain and howling winds
- Each weighs 4.6oz
- Could have an odd smell
You need not worry about installing a tent when you can use this one-person bivy sack anywhere for quality sleep time. The classic bag is made of 100% nylon material to protect you from harsh weather conditions. It has an internal mesh pocket to store your accessories or belongings. You can use it any season and in any outdoor location for a good night’s sleep.
- Breathable and waterproof fabric
- Simple and practical design
- Has hydroseal floor
- Can be used in all seasons
- Durable and versatile
- Has a no-see mesh and full seams
- Available only in one color
- May not withstand extreme rain
Protect yourself from the harsh weather with this spacious bivy sack. It is made with highly breathable fabric and has pad straps to give you a comfortable and reliable shelter. The sleeping bag has a zippered vent to allow airflow on warm nights. It is available in mojo blue color and is easy to use. You can carry it conveniently on your road trips and adventures.
- Has an anti-fungal coating on the floor
- Comes with a mesh pocket
- Can be used as a single-person tent
- Provides ample protection
- Durable and fully seamed
- Has a functional design
- Packing it could be difficult
- May not have enough vertical space
How To Choose The Right Bivy Sack?
Here are a few features to consider for selecting the best bivy sack for yourself.
- Material: You can choose either nylon or polyethylene plastic as they are light, durable, breathable, and waterproof.
- Weight: Bivy sacks should be lightweight so that they can be carried easily by campers and hikers. Make sure your bivy bag has a minimalistic design and is ultralight for convenient portability.
- Ventilation: Check if there are zippers or openings at any side of the bivy sack to provide better airflow during warm weather. If you require more ventilation, then you can get a bivy sack with a hood.
- Other features: Options like full seams, shape, packability, efficiency, noise cancellation, openings, and sleeping space could make it all the more comfortable to use the bivy sack.
Campers and adventure seekers need to have the most appropriate bivy sack as per their preferences for their safety and comfort. Make sure you compare the features of the bivy sacks you like and buy the one that fits your needs.