Keep your child warm and cozy with the best baby blankets. Baby blankets are lightweight and breathable, allowing your baby to relax and sleep soundly throughout the night without feeling cold or uncomfortable. They are soft and high-quality to prevent irritation or rashes on the child’s delicate skin. The right size helps prevent accidents like covering of nose and mouth and helps your baby stay safe. Although many options for swaddles and baby blankets are available, it is important to find one that matches your requirements. So, have a look at the soft, skin-friendly, and tried-and-tested baby blankets we have curated to let you choose the right one for your child.
Types of Baby Blankets
Here are a few types of blankets available.
- Swaddling blankets: These blankets are designed for restless babies who might have trouble sleeping. You can fasten the fabric as snugly as comfortable for the little one and wrap them in the safety of warm cotton or cashmere.
- Security blanket: Unlike a swaddle, these blankets are not for wrapping around your baby but to cover them or for them to hold on to while they play.
- Receiving blankets: These are simple, lightweight, and compact as they keep your child warm and comfortable while being breathable to prevent overheating.
10 Best Baby Blankets In 2024
1. Best Overall: Aden + Anais Classic Swaddle
The lightweight and adorable blanket made of muslin allows ventilation and provides comfort and warmth to your tot. Also, the large size allows you to turn the safe and effective blanket into a stroller shade, nursing cover, or a muslin wrap. And yes, The Duchess of Cambridge introduced Prince George to the world wrapped snugly in the Aden + Anais Classic Swaddler.
- Versatile and stylish
- Breathable cotton muslin
- Machine washable
- May notice a difference in size
- May not be as soft as you would want it to be
2. Best For Winter: Boritar Baby Blanket
The reversible and breathable crib blanket features dual layers—the outer layer is a soft fabric, and the inner lining is a dotted, fluffy layer of fabric that is soft to the touch for extra comfort. It is warm and delicate, making it ideal for babies with sensitive skin. Further, the mommy-approved cozy blanket has multiple uses. It can be used as bedding, a play mat, or for swaddling the infant.
- Made of 100% polyester material
- Warm and cozy
- Attractive patterns
- Versatile design
- Neat stitching
- May be a bit thin
- Ma be smaller than you expect
3. Best Fleece-Like: Hudson Baby Printed Mink with Sherpa Backing
Perfect for cold weather, the polyester baby blanket has a fleece-like texture on the outside and velboa fabric on the inside, making it super cuddly for the little one. The tried-and-tested machine washable blanket is easy to clean and is ideal for keeping a baby warm and comfortable.
- Soft and comfortable
- Ideal for everyday use
- Gentle on the baby’s skin
- Soothing patterns
- Slightly thin
- Stitching may not be up to the mark
4. Best Luxurious: Luxe Giraffe Luxe Baby Blanket
Here’s a luxurious and soft crib blanket by Little Giraffe that makes an elegant baby gift for the special little one in your life. The dad- and mom-approved blanket has satin borders, which babies find extra soothing. Ideal for cold weather, this cozy blanket is not very big, but neither are the babies, right? Also, the Little Giraffe’s Luxe Giraffe Blanket gets softer over time.
- Made of 100% poly microfiber material
- Gentle for sensitive skin
- Can be used as a drape for strollers
- Skin-friendly fabric
- Available in a variety of solid colors
- May be a tad thin
- Satin trim may not hold up well over time
5. Best Lightweight: Max Daniel Rosebud And Satin Baby Blanket
It is another excellent choice for your baby. The safe and effective blanket has a loyal fan following and with good reason–it is breathable, lightweight and creates a snug hold when swaddling. It comes in fun colors and prints that coordinate well with the nursery themes, making it a perfect baby shower gift. Also, it doubles as a lightweight stroller blanket, making it a trusted choice among parents for keeping their munchkins covered when out and about.
- Made of 100% polyester material
- Suitable for warmer months
- Stylish look
- Machine washable
- Soft and snuggly
- Available in three solid colors
- May experience size issue
- May have a slight smell when new
6. Best Multifunctional: EveryDay Kids Pink Elephant Baby Blanket
This cute animal-themed baby throw blanket by Everyday Kids is versatile, as you can use it in the crib or stroller and as bedding or swaddle blanket. Its pastel color-based print of adorable elephant caricatures makes it attractive for little ones, while its sherpa back layer keeps them cozy and warm. In addition, this safe and effective oversized blanket has a soft and comfortable mink-based front. It is an ideal gift option for a baby shower.
- Meets CPSC and CPSIA safety standards
- Polyester-based for easy maintenance
- Washing machine-friendly
- May not be thick enough for some
- May be smaller than expected
7. Best Comfortable: Summer Infant SwaddlePod
Babies love things that recreate the feeling of being in the womb, and SwaddlePod by the trusted brand Summer Infant does just that. It has Velcro patches on the side flaps, which makes it easy to secure your baby. You can swaddle the baby with arms in and out, depending entirely on your baby’s preference. The two-way zipper makes diaper changing extremely convenient.
- Perfect for preemies and newborns
- Soft and lightweight fabric
- Cotton blend material
- Easy to use
- May not hold arms securely
- Available in one size only
8. Best For Added Warmth: Oenbopo Newborn Baby Wrap Swaddle Blanket
The crochet blanket has a design that makes it easy to swaddle the infant. This tried-and-tested hooded baby wrap can be used to provide warmth to the baby’s head. The baby can sit on the blanket while the hood stays on the head. The buttons are made of wood and have smooth rims for the baby’s safety.
- Easy opening and closing
- Skin-friendly material
- All around coverage
- Suitable for all seasons
- Size may be large for newborns
- Button holes may be small
9. Best Textured: Living Textile Chenille Blue Clouds Baby Blanket
The gender-neutral baby throw blanket from Living Textile is made of a premium polyester blend, making it super soft and cozy. The chenille knit blanket has a textured finish and cute soft-hued patterns to promote sensory development in babies. Moreover, you can also reverse the safe and effective blanket or use it as a newborn swaddle blanket, sunshade, and mat for tummy time.
- Reversible design
- Machine-wash friendly
- Available in multiple colors and patterns
- Makes a perfect baby shower gift
- Might shed when new
- May not be snag-free
10. Best Secure Baby Blanket: Miracle Blanket
Does your baby wiggle their arms out of their blanket? If yes, this Miracle Blanket is the one for him. It has two small flaps that wrap around your tot’s little arms and back to keep their limbs secure, and the large flap wraps the entire body, making it a perfect blanket for newborns. The pediatrician-recommended Miracle Blanket holds up pretty well even after multiple washes. Here’s a review video about a tester’s experience with the soft yet durable blanket to help you make an informed decision.
- Made of 100% cotton material
- Recommended by the American Academy Of Pediatrics
- Prevents facial scratches
- Arm flap design
- Available in a variety of solid colors and prints
- May not be suitable for hot climates
- Available in just one size
How To Choose The Right Blanket For Babies?
Consider these pointers when choosing a blanket for your baby.
- Materials: When it comes to baby blankets, cotton reigns supreme. It’s lightweight, skin-friendly, and easy to maintain. However, you can also opt for woolen, linen, cashmere, or fleece blankets, depending on the purpose. For style, you can look for blankets with stripes instead of fur as fur might end up in their mouths or noses and create a blockage.
- Weight: Babies and heavy blankets don’t go well together. Keep it light and ensure the size isn’t much bigger than your baby’s to avoid their hands and legs getting entangled.
- Safety: Ensure the blanket is safe, non-toxic, and free of chemicals to keep your baby healthy and secure.
Maggie Sutherland, an award-winning maternity photographer and mother of four, says, “When selecting blankets for a baby, choose lightweight blankets over weighted ones. Also, consider the breathability of the fabric to prevent the risk of overheating and heat rashes.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What materials make blankets safe for babies?
Soft materials such as organic cotton, cashmere, and wool are suitable for baby blankets as they tend to be hypoallergenic and do not irritate their delicate, sensitive skin. Cotton is also low-maintenance and easy to clean, making it a safe and effective choice.
2. What type of baby blanket is best?
This depends on the purpose of the blanket. For instance, a swaddling blanket is suitable when you want your little one to fall asleep. In contrast, a security blanket is primarily designed for comfort when carrying them around the house. You can choose the right one based on your needs.
3. When can a baby sleep with a blanket?
Your baby can sleep with a lightweight blanket at around 18 months. Babies below one year of age should not sleep with blankets. However, if you are worried about your baby getting cold, layer them with clothes or use a wearable blanket (1).
4. How do I swaddle a baby in a blanket?
Lay the blanket on a flat surface and fold the top corner. Place your baby on the blanket facing you. Position the left arm to their side and wrap the blanket around them. Now, position the right arm to their side and tuck the blanket from right to left. Close the bottom corner. You may swaddle your baby until they show signs of rolling (2).
5. What are the best ways to use a baby blanket?
A baby blanket helps swaddle your baby. You can use it after the baby’s bath to wrap around them. It also doubles as a playmat, or you can use it to cover up while breastfeeding.
6. Is it safe to cover a baby with a baby blanket in a car seat?
You can place a baby blanket over the car seat’s straps to keep them covered. However, ensure you remove the blanket before putting your baby in the car seat (3).
7. How many baby blankets do I need for my baby?
A newborn needs no loose blanket while sleeping. However, you may need one blanket to swaddle your baby until they reach two months or start rolling, whichever is earlier. You can keep an extra blanket handy to minimize the laundry cycles.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have compiled this list of the best baby blankets to help your child sleep comfortably. These products have been carefully chosen after reading multiple product listings and user reviews and considering factors such as material, breathability, and comfort. This article also explains the features of each tried-and-tested product and includes a buying guide to help you pick the right one for your baby.
A baby blanket is an essential product that helps keep the babies warm and comfortable. So, look for a soft-to-touch, breathable, and hypoallergenic blanket to protect the baby’s delicate skin while helping them sleep cozily. The above products contain the best baby blankets in different colors, textures, and fabrics. Check each listed product and select a safe, comfortable, and cozy blanket for your baby. Our top recommendations include the Boritar Baby Blanket, which is machine-washable and suitable for sensitive skin, and the Hudson Baby Printed Mink with Sherpa Backing, which is soft and gentle on babies’ skin. You may also consider the Everyday Kids Pink Elephant Baby Blanket, which is lightweight and safety-certified. These multipurpose blankets can be used for swaddling the baby or as a stroller shade, nursing cover, or bedding.
Infographic: How To Swaddle A Baby Safely?
Swaddling is a comforting practice that involves snugly wrapping a baby in a soft blanket to promote better sleep and a sense of security. However, following a specific folding procedure is essential to prevent suffocation while ensuring a secure fit. Refer to the infographic below to learn how to safely and efficiently swaddle a baby in a blanket.
- How to Keep Your Sleeping Baby Safe: AAP Policy Explained
- Swaddling: Is it Safe for Your Baby?
- Winter Car Seat Safety Tips from the AAP
- Should you swaddle your baby?
- What Do We Do Now That Our Baby Has Started to Roll Over?
- Best Yarns For Baby Blankets
- Best Summer Blankets
- Best Baby Milestone Blankets
- Best Baby Bedding Sets