If you have a child at home, our list of the best blocks for babies can help you find some entertaining options. Blocks are educational tools that are also suitable for entertainment purposes. The soft ones can be chewed or thrown around; plastic ones with letters and numbers are ideal for learning, while the wooden ones are suitable for older children or toddlers.
If you want to develop your child’s creativity, motor skills like sorting and stacking and mentally stimulate them, our list of blocks can help you pick the right one.
Our Top Picks
Why Are Blocks Effective Toys?
Blocks benefit young children in many ways. The following are some.
- Stimulants: Blocks are stimulating toys for children. They promote creativity and imagination.
- Developmental: Blocks aid in developing a child’s cognitive and motor skills while also encouraging skill development and imagination. You can use these blocks to teach children the letters of the alphabet and numbers in a fun way.
- Engrossing: These toys keep children occupied for an extended time. The eye-catching colors and prints keep them engrossed and intrigued.
- Safe: Most children’s blocks are made of soft material or BPA-free plastic with rounded edges. They’re also large enough so that they do not cause a choking hazard. So even if the child is left alone, they are safe to play with these blocks.
- Independence and social skills: Children can play with blocks individually and with friends. These blocks teach children to be self-sufficient and share and form social bonds.
- Accomplishment: Building something with blocks provides the child with a sense of accomplishment. They use their creativity to stack the blocks in novel ways, marvelling at their accomplishments and making their parents proud.
13 Best Blocks For Babies
1. Best Easy-To-Carry: Fisher-Price Baby’s First Blocks
Fisher-Price’s set of colourful blocks is an excellent choice for your baby’s first blocks. The set includes ten blocks and is packaged in a cool storage bucket with a convenient, easy-to-carry handle. The blocks, suitable for babies aged six months and up, introduce the child to the world of shapes and colors. In addition, it allows for easy sorting, stacking, building, and dropping off pieces into the bucket via slots. These blocks promote hand-eye coordination and develop motor and cognitive skills.
2. Best Squeezable: B. toys – One Two Squeeze Baby Blocks
toys One Two Three Squeeze baby blocks are hand-sculpted and recommended for children aged six to three years. These brightly colored blocks, made of BPA-free silicone, are squeaky, squeezable, soft, and safe for babies to chew. The educational blocks feature numbers, patterns, and animal designs. They come in a set of ten pieces and encourage children to stack and knock them down. The set comes packaged in a clear tote bag for convenient storage. If you want a detailed review of the product, make sure to take a look at this video.
3. Best For Teething : Mini Tudou Soft Baby Blocks
Mini Tudou’s baby blocks are designed with shapes, numbers, animal designs, fruits, Arabic numerals, and geometrical patterns. The non-toxic, chewy soft silicone texture is ideal for teething babies. This set contains 12 pieces that are simple to stack and drop without causing harm to the child. In addition, the sturdy blocks make a squeaky sound when squeezed and aid in developing a child’s cognitive and motor skills.
4. Best For Learning : SainSmart Jr. Wooden ABC Blocks
This set of 40 wooden stacking blocks from SainSmart Jr. introduces the child to letters and numbers. The blocks are appropriate for toddlers and come in a mesh bag for convenient storage. The blocks are entirely made of natural pine wood and are smoothened, carved, painted with non-toxic paint, making them safe for children. Each cube is 1.8 inches in size and has rounded edges for added safety.
5. Best For Safety: Vajeme Baby Activity Cube
These activity cubes are an excellent way to keep your child occupied. Vajeme baby blocks are appropriate for children over 18 months, and the shape sorters are both educational and developmental for growing children. The 6-in-1 durable cubes are a multi-functional learning tool that aids in the cognitive recognition of letters, colors, shapes, numbers, vehicles, music, and more. In addition, the BPA-free material with smooth edges and large size eliminates the risk of swallowing.
6. Best For Improving Cognitive Skills: Kingtree Baby Blocks
These colorful, squeezable, and soft Kingtree baby cubes come in a set of nine blocks. They are suitable for babies aged six months and above, and their chewable texture aids in teething. The blocks are made entirely of BPA-free silicone material and are odorless and non-toxic. In addition, a built-in sound generator appeals to young children and aids in developing cognitive skills.
7. Best For Six-Month-Olds: Teytoy Soft Baby Blocks
TeyToy squeezable blocks are soft and stackable and ideal for babies aged six months. The educational activity toys introduce colors, shapes, and patterns to the young baby. The built-in bells draw the baby’s attention, and each of the cubes’ surfaces has a different print. The high-quality blocks are child-friendly and safe, and the set is a great gift option because it has been designed with computer embroidery.
8. Best For Sensory Experience: Lesong Baby Blocks
Lesong’s educational baby blocks teach children numbers, colors, shapes, animals, fruits, patterns, and much more. The squeezable, stackable soft building blocks also serve as teethers. They are suitable for children aged nine to 18 months and are made of child-safe silicone. In addition, these sensory blocks are simple to maintain.
9. Best Lightweight: IQ Baby – Small World Toys Knock-Knock Blocks
A baby’s favorite activity is stacking and knocking things down. IQ Baby‘s Small World Knock-Knock 16-piece block set includes lightweight and soft blocks of various designs, including doors and windows that open and some that jingle, rattle, and crinkle. The textures and shapes of the blocks vary too. And for a baby, they are incredibly entertaining and engaging. These blocks are made of washable plush fabric and come in a vinyl carry case.
10. Best For Balancing Skills: Joqutoys Wooden Abc Building Blocks
The ABC building blocks by Joqutoys are made up of 26 wooden blocks. The toddler-friendly stacking blocks measure 1.65 inches each. The learning cubes help the child’s balancing skills and spatial awareness. In addition, these blocks are easy to pick up and arrange. The set includes numbers, shapes, and sight words with related letters and word-picture associations. The sensory toy is made of natural wood with smooth edges and is child-safe and non-toxic.
11. Best Tear-Resistant: Haba Baby’s First Basic Block Set
These 12 brightly colored wooden cubes are ideal for children over six months and teach children how to build and stack. They come in six primary colors, and each cube measures 1.5inches on each side and is easy to grasp. The blocks are made of solid beech wood, with water-based and lacquer-free colors. The surface is worn- and tear-resistant and safe to put in the mouth.
12. Best Textured: Chriffer Baby Blocks Toys
Chriffer baby blocks are egg-shaped sensory blocks featuring embossed animal expressions, shapes, and numbers. The 12-piece set is made of soft food-grade silicone and is ideal for teething gums. The egg blocks are light and soft with embossing that creates various textures to help babies explore their sense of touch. In addition, the squeezable, chewable toys make squeaking sounds and engage the little ones.
13. Best For Developing Counting Skills: Moontoy Baby Blocks Stacking Toys
Moontoy baby blocks are ideal for toddlers who like to learn while playing. These stacking toys, made of BPA-free ABS, help children with color, shape, and pattern recognition. The block set with 12 pieces should be stacked to form a giraffe. It aids in developing counting skills and hand-eye coordination. The set is available in ten bright colors and is ideal for a party or play date.
How To Choose The Right Blocks For Babies?
Here are some factors to consider when buying blocks for your child.
- Size: Ensure that the blocks aren’t too small that they pose a choking hazard as toddlers like to put things in their mouths.
- Durability: The material should be strong enough to withstand rough play, tossing, chewing, and slobber. Cardboard blocks, for example, can break or disintegrate quickly, posing a risk to the child.
- Material: Blocks are made of wood, foam, plastic, or cloth. Choose a non-toxic material because your child is likely to put the blocks in their mouth. Also, the material should be easy to clean. If your child is under the age of two, it is best to stick to softer materials.
- Purpose: Blocks can be used for educational or recreational purposes. If your child is younger, a simple block for stacking and dropping may suffice. A toddler should be given blocks with numbers, letters, animals, fruits, patterns, and other prints to learn from.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navrathna is experienced in choosing the right toys for babies based on their age. Her focus mainly lies in selecting educational toys that boost children’s cognitive development. In this post, she has considered user reviews to compile this list of the best blocks for babies. She has briefly described factors like wide color range, block size and design, and durability to help you decide which toys to choose. A few of these toys have the alphabet and numerical stamps and can be played throughout childhood.
You cannot possibly go wrong by giving block toys to your child as they can be used for both recreational and educational purposes. These blocks allow you to develop their motor skills as they stack and sort them and also help improve and enhance their creativity and imagination. When choosing the ideal blocks for your child, consider the size, durability, and material used. Also, ensure that these toys are age-appropriate and made of non-toxic materials, as your child will come in direct contact with them.