Not all hair dyes are created equal. While some colors are formulated to accentuate your eye color, others are formulated to suit your skin tone. The best blue black hair dyes, in particular, are intense and versatile and lend you a bold, elegant edge. They also enhance the quality of your locks by nourishing them with healthy ingredients. So, if you wish to transform yourself from Goddess to Dark-Haired Goddess, check out our reviews of the top-rated blue-black hair dyes that are easy to use, safe to apply, effective, and long-lasting. Keep scrolling and take your pick.
10 Best Blue-Black Hair Dyes
1. Best Alcohol-Free: Adore Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Coloring your hair with Adore’s popular semi-permanent blue black hair dye in the blue-black 130 shade is one of the easiest ways to change your look. The professional-grade formula blends seamlessly into blonde or bleached hair while giving it a healthy, natural sheen that truly brings out the best in you. The luxurious midnight hues have a mesmerizing effect when done right, and this color is a breeze to apply. It gives you the shade you are looking for without having to mix other dyes or perform a retouch. Here’s a video of a tester’s experience to show you how to apply the semi-permanent hair dye.
- Free of alcohol, peroxide, or ammonia
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- No harsh smell
- Easy to apply
- Might start fading early
2. Best Non-Drip: John Frieda Precision Foam Color
Recreate an invigorating, spa-like experience right at home with this thick and saturating foam-filled hair dye from John Frieda. Trusted for its proven efficacy, the blue-black 2A shade helps cover grays naturally with its rich color and has a permanent and non-drip consistency, making it a great formula to start with when dyeing your hair for the first time. The box contains a developer, colorant, and conditioner, thus providing you with all the ingredients you need to make every strand shine. Check out this review video to learn how to apply the product.
- Spreads quickly into the roots
- Minimal post-dyeing mess
- Moisturizes the hair
- Non-fading formula
- Easy-to-follow instructions
- Might be slightly darker than expected
"Found my favorite in it as its beautiful, rich hue eliminated my faded balayage without causing any damage to my hair and matched my natural shade perfectly. Also, applying was a breeze."
3. Best Vegan-Friendly: Naturtint Permanent Hair Color Gel
Inspired by nature and realized with exact science, this vegan-friendly and cruelty-free blue black hair dye from Naturtint is certified by the USDA’s BioPreferred Program. The scientifically formulated, safe, and damage-free product boasts hair-friendly ingredients such as oleic acid, shea butter, and baobab protein. Furthermore, the ammonia-free formula leaves your locks feeling silky, radiant, and nourished from root to tip while casting a brilliant blue-black blend that brings out the gorgeous in you. Take a look at this testing video that tells you more about this permanent color and gives you tips on how to apply it.
- Long-lasting color
- Strengthens damaged hair
- No artificial fragrance
- Vegan ingredients
- Free of ammonia and parabens
- Might not be great at covering grays
"Using Naturtint left my hair vibrant and soft, noticeable even to my hairdresser. No trace of chemicals, thus assuring health. Good grey coverage with no itchy scalp or foul smell. Makes the hair feel alive with every use."
4. Best Vibrant: Schwarzkopf Professional Igora Royal Permanent Hair Color
Schwarzkopf brings you this perfectly blended formula that allows you to indulge your hair in its goodness. The professional-grade Igora Royal hair dye offers the ultimate color retention rate, not to mention great vibrancy and up to 100% gray coverage. Whether your locks are bouncy or have been feeling porous lately, this blue black hair dye can help you achieve professional-looking results.
- Perfect color equalization
- Easy to apply
- Absorbs quickly
- Long-lasting formula
- Does not stain much
- Color might be slightly lighter than you expect
"This dye delivers an appealing and unique color that subtly reflects midnight blue in sunlight. However, the final shade leans darker than anticipated, and the shift wasn't quite as exciting as I'd hoped. Nonetheless, the dye is long-lasting, and it doesn't irritate my skin."
5. Best Ammonia-Free: Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color
Pamper your stunning self with this powdered dye from Bigen that comes in a pack of six. The soft and powdery hair product is blended without hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, which can damage hair in the long run. All you need is water to activate the dye and stir it into a thick consistency. The permanent blue-black shade effortlessly hides gray strands, and it has a non-messy application process. The tried-and-tested ammonia-free blue black temporary hair color is easy to mix with plain water.
- Has a pleasant smell
- Does not cause burning
- Water-activated formula
- A little goes a long way
- May not be suitable for those with other color treatments
6. Best Pigmentation: Ion Midnight Blue-Black Permanent Creme Hair Color
This creme-based hair color from the Brilliant Master Colorist Series by Ion is a delight to use. The vibrant color infuses your locks with pure ionic micropigments and lets you achieve the deepest, most intense color possible. It is a blend of several botanicals and ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, argan oil, and pequi oil, resulting in a powerful yet gentle formula that lasts long and strengthens the hair while making it look irresistibly vibrant.
- Fade-resistant dye
- PPD-free formula
- Cruelty-free blue black hair dye
- Vegan formula
- Available in a wide assortment of colors
- Might run slightly
"The product is mess-free and easy to prepare and apply. Its staying power is about 3.5 to 4 weeks, which is normal for a vibrant color. Although it fades overtime, I love how it still makes my hair look great."
7. Best Easy-To-Blend: Clairol Nice ‘N Easy Permanent Hair Color
Unlike regular hair dyes, the Nice ‘N Easy hair color by Clairol gives you a beautiful look and shine for about two months. The scientifically formulated permanent hair color dye is touted for its ColorSeal gloss that seals and conditions the dye in your hair after application. It has a non-drip consistency and adds multidimensional tones to your tresses, giving them an ultra-professional look. If you tend to get allergic reactions from hair dyes, this blue black dye might be the ideal option, thanks to its unique ME+ molecule that makes the color gentle.
- Ammonia- and alcohol-free
- Covers gray hair
- Easy to apply
- No harsh fragrance
- Blue might not be as prominent
"I adore the vibrant blue-black shade this dye has, which enhances my look. Despite its strong ammonia scent, it is easy to apply with simple instructions. It also lasts pretty long, so I can stay stress-free."
8. Best Anti-Breakage: Smart Beauty Sapphire Blue Black Plex Hair Color
Enhance your beautiful tresses and prevent hair breakage simultaneously with this Colour-Plex formula by Smart Beauty. This vegan formula can rebuild your hair’s natural structure and restore strength, suppleness, and volume. The shades have a phenomenal vibrancy that emulates black sapphire and covers gray strands perfectly. All you need to do is mix the cream and color, apply the sulfate-free blue black hair dye with maximum coverage, and wait 30 minutes for stunning results.
- Creamy texture
- Cruelty-free hair dye
- No mineral oils or parabens
- Easy instruction manual
- Might fade slightly with each wash
"I applied this dye to my previously bleached hair, and it delivered a vibrant, stunning color without drying out the hair. Only drawback - the lack of conditioning treatment. Stained a bit but it was manageable and ended up with no mess. Excited to see how long it will last!"
9. Best Innovative: Hair Joy Love Easy Hair Color Comb
If you often daydream about getting electric blue hair but don’t want to spend a fortune to make that happen, here’s an innovative and affordable at-home solution from Hair Joy Love. This result-driven, handy color comb by HJL makes dye application as simple as—yes, you guessed it right—combing your beautiful locks! Packed with jojoba oil, cosmetic-grade lanolin, and thuja orientalis leaf extract, the formula has a fresh, fruity fragrance and is nourishing. All you need to do is press and squeeze the bottle lightly and comb your hair evenly to create the best effect.
- Mess-free application
- Delivers rich color
- Lasts eight to ten weeks
- Gentle and ammonia-free
- Deep-conditioning formula
- Might be slightly tough to squeeze
10. Best For Gray Coverage: Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color
Formulated with the unique 3D Color Gel technology, this permanent hair dye by Revlon leaves you with dazzling, natural-looking hair. Providing visible results, it comes with a UV defense mechanism of its own, protecting your colored hair from sun or heat damage. Furthermore, the hair dye is infused with beneficial ingredients such as keratin, amino acids, and essential vitamins, which makes dyed hair soft, shiny, strong, and healthy.
- Offers 100% gray hair coverage
- Long-lasting results
- Non-drip formula
- Some might not like the smell
"I found this hair color both gentle and simple to use, providing a beautiful rich tone that doesn't fade too quickly. It didn't cause any burning sensation. Despite the color struggling with stubborn gray strands, it remains a reliable product for its ammonia-free composition."
How To Apply Blue-Black Hair Dye?
The result of your dye job depends on the existing hair color. For instance, if you have blonde tresses and want to paint them darker, you can apply your favorite brand of blue-black hair dye and achieve the look you desire. However, those with naturally dark hair will need to start by bleaching so that the bluish tint can adhere to the hair for a good length of time. Here’s how you should go about dying your hair blue-black.
- Bleach your dark hair at the salon or home. Try to use high-quality products to avoid any skin or hair damage.
- Perform a strand test with the blue-black hair dye you wish to apply.
- Apply Vaseline or coconut oil along your hairline to prevent staining.
- Divide your hair into sections and slowly but generously slather the dye, covering all the essential areas.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and let dry. And voila! Your new look is ready for the world.
How To Choose The Right Blue-Black Hair Dye?
Before deciding on a blue-black hair dye, these are some of the factors you should consider to find the right match.
- Skin tone: Your complexion sets the backdrop of your canvas and is, therefore, an important factor to consider when choosing your new hair color. Blue-black is versatile and complements most skin tones, but if you want to be sure it looks good, try patch testing it online via one of many virtual makeover apps.
- Existing color: Whether your blue-black dye comes out intense or barely visible depends on your current or natural hair color. If you are naturally blonde and dreams of a darker look, you can directly apply the new color without bleaching your hair. On the other hand, if the color is already dark, you’ll need to bleach the hair before applying the blue-black. Skipping the bleaching step would give you weak, ineffective results.
- Eye color: Your hair color does more than you know to enhance the shade of your eyes. While some colors, such as fiery red or silver, might look better on certain eye colors, blue-black is immensely versatile and suits pretty much any eye color.
Alexandro Vasquez, a professional hairdresser and hair colorist, says, “Dark shades are always a good option for those looking for low maintenance hair color to enhance that faded dark hair damaged by the sun and swimming pool or salt water or due to poor maintenance.” He adds, “If you love experimenting with different shades, I recommend you lay your hands on a non-permanent and ammonia-free hair dye.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a seasoned writer and editor with a knack for all things fashion, skincare, and hair care. She loves to source niche, unique products that can enhance her readers’ lives in different ways. Her review process involves doing extensive research into the features and benefits of each product and aggregating consumer reviews and testers’ experiences from multiple e-commerce websites. Here, she brings you a list of the best blue-black hair dyes that can transform your appearance in a heartbeat.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I put blue-black dye on black hair?
If you have a dark base, such as black, you will have to bleach it blonde first so that the blue-black dye visibly sticks to the strands.
2. Should I wash my hair before dyeing it?
It’s not necessary to wash your hair before dyeing it. Many hair dyes are formulated to suit unwashed hair so that the oil buildup can act as a protective barrier and keep chemicals from causing too much damage.
3. How long does hair dye last?
Permanent hair colors or dyes last an average of six to eight weeks before the roots begin to grow. Semi-permanent colors typically stay for a few washes but continue to fade a bit each time.
4. How can I maintain blue-black hair for longer?
Make sure you don’t wash your hair frequently, as this will cause the color to fade faster. Also, choose shampoos and conditioners formulated for color-treated hair. Finally, reducing the use of heat styling tools will keep hair damage to a minimum and help the color last longer.
As one of the latest beauty trends on the block, blue-black hair offers a bold, sophisticated, and vibrant look that enhances your eyes or skin tone. Make sure to buy only high-quality products from trustworthy brands that use healthy, toxin-free ingredients and always perform a strand test to get the best results and prevent allergies. Also, refer to the buying guide and hair care tips to make the most of this transformation and bring out the magic in your tresses.
Infographic: How To Apply Hair Dye Safely?
If you are starting with dyeing your hair, a blue-black hair dye can be suitable. Although choosing an appropriate dye is essential, you should also know the correct application techniques for effective results. Here is an infographic to help you use the dye safely.
- Best Blue Hair Dye Products
- Best Black Hair Dyes
- Best Relaxers For Black Hair
- Best Natural Hair Dyes