Not all hair dyes are created equal. While some colors are formulated to accentuate your eye color, others are formulated to suit your skin tone. The best blue black hair dyes, in particular, are intense and versatile and lend you a bold, elegant edge. They also enhance the quality of your locks by nourishing them with healthy ingredients. So, if you wish to transform yourself from Goddess to Dark-Haired Goddess, check out our reviews of the top-rated blue-black hair dyes that are easy to use, safe to apply, effective, and long-lasting. Keep scrolling and take your pick.
Our Top Picks
10 Best Blue-Black Hair Dyes
1. Best Alcohol-Free: Adore Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Coloring your hair with Adore’s popular semi-permanent hair color in the blue-black 130 shade is one of the easiest ways to change your look. The formula blends seamlessly into blonde or bleached hair while giving it a healthy, natural sheen that truly brings out the best in you. The luxurious midnight hues have a mesmerizing effect when done right, and this color is a breeze to apply. It gives you the shade you are looking for without having to mix other dyes or perform a retouch. Here’s a video that shows you how to apply the product.
- Free of alcohol, peroxide, or ammonia
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- No harsh smell
- Easy to apply
- Might start fading early
2. Best Non-Drip: John Frieda Precision Foam Color
Recreate an invigorating, spa-like experience right at home with this thick and saturating foam-filled hair dye from John Frieda. The blue-black 2A shade helps cover grays naturally and has a permanent and non-drip consistency, making it a great formula to start with when dyeing your hair for the first time. The box contains a developer, colorant, and conditioner, thus providing you with all the ingredients you need to make every strand shine. Check out this review and how-to-apply video.
- Spreads quickly into the roots
- Minimal post-dyeing mess
- Moisturizers the hair
- Non-fading formula
- Easy-to-follow instructions
- Might be slightly darker than expected
3. Best Vegan-Friendly: Naturtint Permanent Hair Color Gel
Inspired by nature and realized with exact science, this vegan-friendly and cruelty-free hair dye from Naturtint has been certified by the USDA’s BioPreferred Program. The safe and damage-free product boasts hair-friendly ingredients such as oleic acid, shea butter, and baobab protein. Furthermore, the ammonia-free formula leaves your locks feeling silky, radiant, and nourished from root to tip while casting a brilliant blue-black blend that brings out the gorgeous in you. This video tells you more about the product and gives you tips on how to apply it.
- Long-lasting color
- Gentle on the scalp and hair
- No artificial fragrance
- Free of ammonia and parabens
- Might not be great at covering grays
4. Best Vibrant: Schwarzkopf Professional Igora Royal Permanent Hair Color
Schwarzkopf brings you this perfectly blended formula that allows you to indulge your hair in its goodness. The Igora Royal hair dye offers the ultimate color retention rate, not to mention great vibrancy and up to 100% gray coverage. Whether your locks are bouncy as usual or feeling porous lately, this is one of the best blue-black hair dyes you should try to achieve professional-looking results.
- Perfect color equalization
- Easy to apply
- Absorbs quickly
- Long-lasting formula
- Does not stain much
- Color might be slightly lighter than you expect
5. Best Ammonia-Free: Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color
Pamper your stunning self with this powdered dye from Bigen that comes in a pack of six. The soft and powdery mixture is blended without hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, which can damage hair in the long run. All you need is water to activate the dye and stir it into a thick consistency. The permanent blue-black shade effortlessly hides gray strands, and the entire application process is non-messy.
- Has a pleasant smell
- Does not cause burning
- Water-activated formula
- A little goes a long way
- May not be suitable for those with other color treatments
6. Best Pigmentation: Ion Midnight Blue-Black Permanent Creme Hair Color
This creme-based hair color from the Brilliant Master Colorist Series by Ion is a delight to use. It infuses your locks with pure ionic micropigments and lets you achieve the deepest, most intense color possible. The blend of several botanicals and ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, argan oil, and pequi oil results in a powerful yet gentle formula that lasts long and strengthens the hair while making it look irresistibly vibrant.
- Fade-resistant dye
- PPD-free formula
- Vegan-friendly and cruelty-free
- Available in a wide assortment of colors
- Might run slightly
7. Best Easy-To-Blend: Clairol Nice ‘N Easy Permanent Hair Color
Unlike regular hair dyes, the Nice ‘N Easy hair color by Clairol gives you a beautiful look and shine for about two months. The product is touted for its ColorSeal gloss that seals and conditions the dye in your hair after application. It has a non-drip consistency and adds multidimensional tones to your tresses, making them look ultra-professional. If you tend to get allergic reactions from hair dyes, this might be the ideal option, thanks to its unique ME+ molecule that makes the color gentle.
- Ammonia- and alcohol-free
- Covers gray hair
- Easy to apply
- No harsh fragrance
- Blue might not be as prominent
8. Best Anti-Breakage: Smart Beauty Sapphire Blue Black Plex Hair Color
Enhance your beautiful tresses and prevent hair breakage simultaneously with this Colour-Plex formula by Smart Beauty. It promises to rebuild your hair’s natural structure while restoring strength, suppleness, and volume. The shades have a phenomenal vibrancy that emulates black sapphire and covers gray strands perfectly. All you need to do is mix the cream and color, apply it with maximum coverage, and wait 30 minutes for stunning results.
- Anti-breakage formula
- Vegan-friendly and cruelty-free
- No mineral oils, sulfates, or parabens
- Easy instruction manual
- Might fade slightly with each wash
9. Best Innovative: Hair Joy Love Easy Hair Color Comb
If you often daydream about getting electric blue hair but don’t want to spend a fortune to make that happen, here’s an innovative and affordable at-home solution from Hair Joy Love. This handy color comb by HJL makes dye application as simple as—yes, you guessed it right—combing your beautiful locks! Packed with jojoba oil, cosmetic-grade Lanolin, and Thuja orientalis leaf extract, the formula has a fresh, fruity fragrance and is nourishing. All you need to do is press and squeeze the bottle lightly and comb your hair evenly to create the best effect.
- Mess-free application
- Offers 100% gray coverage
- Lasts eight to ten weeks
- Gentle and ammonia-free
- Deep-conditioning formula
- Might be slightly tough to squeeze
10. Best For Gray Coverage: Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color
Formulated with the unique 3D Color Gel technology, this permanent hair dye by Revlon leaves you with dazzling, natural-looking hair. It comes with a UV defense mechanism of its own, protecting your color-treated hair from sun or heat damage. Furthermore, the hair dye is infused with beneficial ingredients such as keratin, amino acids, and essential vitamins, which nourish your locks to make them softer, shinier, and healthier.
- Offers 100% gray hair coverage
- Long-lasting results
- Non-drip formula
- Some might not like the smell
How To Apply Blue-Black Hair Dye?
The result of your dye job depends on the existing hair color. For instance, if you have blonde tresses and want to paint them darker, you can apply your favorite brand of blue-black hair dye and achieve the look you desire. However, those with naturally dark hair will need to start by bleaching so that the bluish tint can adhere to the hair for a good length of time. Here’s how you should go about dying your hair blue-black.
- Bleach your dark hair at the salon or home. Try to use high-quality products to avoid any damage.
- Perform a strand test with the blue-black hair dye you wish to apply.
- Apply Vaseline or coconut oil along your hairline to prevent staining.
- Divide your hair into sections and slowly but generously slather the dye, covering all the essential areas.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and let dry. And voila! Your new look is ready for the world.
How To Choose The Right Blue-Black Hair Dye?
Before deciding on a blue-black hair dye, these are some of the factors you should consider to find the right match.
- Skin tone: Your complexion sets the backdrop of your canvas and is, therefore, an important factor to consider when choosing your new hair color. Blue-black is versatile and complements most skin tones, but if you want to be sure it looks good, try patch testing it online via one of many virtual makeover apps.
- Existing color: Whether your blue-black dye comes out intense or barely visible depends on your current hair color. If you are naturally blonde and dreams of a darker look, you can directly apply the new color without bleaching your hair. On the other hand, if the color is already dark, you’ll need to bleach the hair before applying the blue-black. Skipping the bleaching step would give you weak, ineffective results.
- Eye color: Your hair color does more than you know to enhance the shade of your eyes. While some colors, such as fiery red or silver, might look better on certain eye colors, blue-black is immensely versatile and suits pretty much any eye color.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a seasoned writer and editor with a knack for all things fashion, skincare, and hair care. She loves to source niche, unique products that can enhance her readers’ lives in different ways. Her review process involves doing extensive research into the features and benefits of each product and aggregating consumer reviews from multiple e-commerce websites. Here, she brings you a list of the best blue-black hair dyes that can transform your appearance in a heartbeat.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I put blue-black dye on black hair?
If you have a dark base, such as black, you will have to bleach it blonde first so that the blue-black dye visibly sticks to the strands.
2. Should I wash my hair before dyeing it?
It’s not necessary to wash your hair before dyeing it. Many hair dyes are formulated to suit unwashed hair so that the oil buildup can act as a protective barrier and keep chemicals from causing too much damage.
3. How long does hair dye last?
Permanent hair dyes last an average of six to eight weeks before the roots begin to grow. Semi-permanent hair colors typically stay for a few washes but continue to fade a bit each time.
4. How can I maintain blue-black hair for longer?
Make sure you don’t wash your hair frequently, as this will cause the color to fade faster. Also, choose shampoos and conditioners formulated for color-treated hair. Finally, reducing the use of heat styling tools will keep the damage to a minimum and help the color last longer.
As one of the latest beauty trends on the block, blue-black hair offers a bold, sophisticated, and vibrant look that enhances your eyes or skin tone. Make sure to buy only high-quality products from trustworthy brands that use healthy, toxin-free ingredients and always perform a strand test to get the best results and prevent allergies. Also, refer to the buying guide and hair care tips to make the most of this transformation and bring out the magic in your tresses.
- Best Blue Hair Dye Products
- Best Black Hair Dyes
- Best Relaxers For Black Hair
- Best Natural Hair Dyes