If you are a connoisseur of fine literature and feel proud of your home library, you might have come across a book stand that makes reading easier and more comfortable. The best book stands allow you to keep the book down conveniently and get through it hands-free. You can also adjust the height and angle of the stand and make sure your back, neck, and shoulders aren’t hunched over, which can damage your posture over the long run. This handy piece of furniture is super-portable and easy to carry around, so you can take it with you to college or the library and make your reading experience more pleasant.
Check out the options for book stands listed below that will help you relax and immerse yourself in your favorite book.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Book Stands Of 2022
1. Best For Novels: BestBookStand Actto BST-09 Reading Stand
No matter what type of book you want to read, be it novels, cookbooks, textbooks, or magazines, this reading book stand will suit your every need. Made of PVC and ABS materials, this stand measures 10.5×7.9in and can hold a book of up to 62mm. It also ensures that you read your book at eye-level and maintain a proper posture for better spinal health.
- Well-constructed and stylish design
- Equipped with plastic clips to keep the pages in place
- Allows you to adjust the stand in 18 different ways
- No assembly required
- Base may not be very sturdy
- May not be suitable for heavy books
2. Best With Spring Pegs: Wishacc Bamboo Book Stand
Your search for a lightweight and durable book stand ends here. This portable book stand can be adjusted to five different angles, helping you maintain a correct posture while reading. It is stable and sturdy enough to support books of any size, phones, and laptops. If you need more convincing, feel free to take a look at this video.
- Made of high-quality bamboo
- Super light build
- Folds flat and fits into large-sized backpacks or bags
- Attached spring pegs hold the books in place
- Can hold books or devices weighing up to ten pounds
- May be prone to molds and cracks
- May be smaller than you expect
3. Best Portable: A+ Book Stand BS2500 Book Holder
This book stand is a great option for those who like to carry their favorite books to their workplace. It is lightweight, foldable, and portable and fits easily into a backpack. It offers five adjustable positions to help you read at a comfortable angle and avoid eye fatigue, neck strain, and headache. The stand can be used on the kitchen countertop, desk, and in bed, thanks to its non-slip rubber feet that keep the stand firmly in place. Further, the flexible page holder keeps the pages open, and the paper clip allows for easy turning of pages.
- Ergonomically designed with durable bronze hinges, plastic reinforcements, and acrylic cover on the sharp edges
- Has an extra-wide front tray to support large and thick books
- Great for people with limited mobility
- No assembly required
- Metal prongs used to keep the pages intact may not be tight enough
- Plastic reinforcements may not be durable enough
Ideal for holding not only books, but also phones and iPads, this book stand is suitable for home, library, and office. This sleek black device features a steel holder plate and a plastic base. With 7 grooves, this stand provides 7 different viewing angles for a comfortable reading experience. It includes 4 non-slip rubber pads at the bottom for stability and 2 adjustable plastic holders that work well to hold books with less than 900 pages.
Sometimes all you might need is a simple book stand with no unnecessary extra features. This minimalistic stainless steel book is lightweight and sturdy. It can easily support large hardcover textbooks without flipping over, making it one of the best textbook stands on the market. The frame of the book stand features a Fold-n-Stow mechanism that swivels to create a narrow or wide base, which allows you to use books of any size. Plus, the M-shaped bar in the black support sleeve can be adjusted to any angle between 40° and 50°, helping you maintain a proper posture when reading. The best part about this stand is that it can be folded flat for easy storage or portability. This stand can also be used to hold iPads, display photos, and craft projects.
6. Best Collapsible Design: Syitcun Adjustable Book Stand
Looking for a book stand that will last you for years? The Syitcun Adjustable Book Stand is an excellent choice. Made of heavy-duty aluminum alloy, the stand’s collapsible design enables you to fold it for compact storage. If you want a detailed review of the product, make sure to take a look at this video.
- Sturdy and durable tray for holding books, tablets, documents, and laptops
- Adjustable paper clips keep books wide open without damaging the paper
- Angle- and height-adjustable
- Can be used to correct eye-level and posture when reading
- May not be very stable
- May not be easy to set up
7. Best Lightweight: Uncaged Ergonomics Reading Stand
When a few grad students decide to design a reading stand, what you get is an ergonomically-designed stand with adjustable height and angle features to help you read comfortably. This device has a vertical, tiered design that offers an open space at the bottom for taking notes, and the legs’ height can be adjusted to up to two feet.
- Suitable for school and college students
- Has a rotating panel that rotates 360° and locks in at 15° increments
- Made of anodized aluminum for holding big textbooks
- Large, spacious, and collapsible
- May not be easy to set up or adjust
- May be slightly bulky
8. Best Multi-Positional: Lecco Book Holder Floor Stand
Here’s a reading stand that can hold your book at any angle and be used anywhere in your house. The floor-standing book holder is also highly adjustable–you can adjust the height of the stand and the panel’s angle to have the best reading experience, whether you’re sitting, or reclining.
- Apt for people with neck and back problems
- Suitable for use while lying in bed
- Ensures excellent comfort and eye-level reading
- Enables hand-free reading
- May not suit heavy books
- May not be portable
9. Best Travel-Friendly: SmartMe Portable Book Stand
When folded into a compact size, this book stand takes up very little space, making it ideal for carrying in your bag or backpack. It is straightforward to install–all you have to do is hold the device, pull out the head, and lower the plate. At 0.33lb, it is incredibly light, offers five adjustable angles, and can support books measuring up to 10.43in in height and 1.18in in thickness.
- Highly portable
- Has a built-in spring to make flipping pages possible with one hand
- Four-point mounting system enhances reading efficiency and prevents rolling or folding
- Made of ABS plastic
- May not be easy to set up
- May not be sturdy enough
10. Best Sustainable: Pezin & Hulin Bamboo Cookbook Holder
Add a touch of style to your modern kitchen or any other room with this elegant bamboo cookbook holder by Pezin & Hulin. For those who refer to cookbooks or browse recipes on their laptops, this holder makes for an excellent pick. This multifunctional holder is also lightweight and can be folded flat for easy portability and convenient storage.
- Suitable for libraries, dorms, and offices
- Made of non-toxic, sturdy, durable, reusable, and sustainable bamboo
- Adjustable three-angle settings to prevent neck pain and fatigue
- Ergonomic design
- May not be easy to set up
- Screw used for holding the hinges may fall out easily
11. Best For Gifting: Autom Wooden Book Stand
Tired of hunching or slouching when reading a book? Lay your hands on this adjustable book stand by Autom. The Bible stand measures approximately 11.5×9.7 inches. It features three adjustable angles to ensure you sit in the correct posture when reading. When not in use, you can fold it flat and store it securely.
- Looks like an antique piece and elevates the look of traditional decors
- Big enough to accomodate books weighing up to ten pounds
- Suitable for gifting
- Angle of the book can be adjusted while in use
- May not be termite-proof
- Surface might be a bit rough
12. Best Kid-Friendly: Hog Wild Peeramid Bookrest
Bring home this unique book holder designed in the shape of a pyramid for your child. It features a built-in bookmark and can accommodate everything from a book to a tablet. It has a ledge that serves as a page holder to keep your book wide open. The bookrest is lightweight and highly portable.
- Made of polyester microfiber that offers a pillow-like softness
- Can be placed on the lap while in use
- Available in different colors and patterns
- Slanted surface and built-in pockets for hands-free reading
- May not suit hardcover books
- May attract dust
13. Best Hands-Free: Mosandon Book Stand
Compact, portable, and adjustable–what’s not to love about this cookbook stand? This metal cookbook stand features an adjustable wireframe that uses the Fold-n-Stow mechanism to accommodate small and large books. Plus, you can adjust the height by raising the bar in the blue support sleeve for better viewing or reading angle.
- Can be tucked away when not in use
- Helps decrease neck pain
- Suitable for a hands-free reading
- Good option for musicians, cooks, and students
- May not be very sturdy
- May not be suitable for hardcover books
Are you still confused about choosing the right book stand? Then go through the points below to know what makes for the best book holder/stand.
How To Choose The Best Book Stand
- Material: Plastic, wood, bamboo, metal, and polyester are the most common materials used to make these devices. The material of a book could determine the durability and strength of the device. While some materials are lightweight and low-maintenance, others are environment-friendly and well-built. What material you choose depends on your preference and how and where you intend to use a book stand.
- Size: Book stands are meant to make your reading experience convenient, so look for a size that best suits your needs. For someone studying law or medicine, a large book holder will be beneficial, since they use heavy textbooks. But if you are someone who reads novels or cookbooks, a small book holder would do.
- Adjustability: If you want to maintain good posture and ensure eye-level reading, you need to opt for a stand with adjustable height and angle.
- Other features: Ensure the holder has a clip to hold the book in place and prevent pages from turning. You could also look for additional features such as foldable design for convenient storage, anti-skid rubber feet for added stability, or small wheels for easy maneuverability.
Benefits Of Using A Book Stand
- It helps you maintain a proper posture while reading.
- It allows you to read hands-free.
- It takes up less desk or counter space.
- It is versatile and can be used to hold books, laptops, and iPads.
- It features multiple angle settings that help you choose the best reading position.
Tips: Proper Reading Posture
- When you sit on a chair, always pay heed to the right leg height. This means that your legs should be perpendicular to the floor, and your thighs should be parallel to the floor. Sitting this way will keep the blood circulation in your legs intact.
- Provide good cushioning to your feet if you want to sit in a relaxed position. Never keep your feet hanging; otherwise, your muscles could cramp, leading to immense pain.
- Neck, shoulders, and back should be adequately supported.
- Do not hunch forward or slouch. Sit up straight by keeping your spine in a neutral position.
- Keep the book at eye level, which will, in turn, help in keeping your back straight.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Sakshi John is adept at choosing and reviewing furniture and desk items, whether it is for your office or home. In this post, she has compiled a list of the best book stands that are portable and lightweight. These products are easy to carry and prized possessions for readers who require adjustable tools. Moreover, they come in various shapes and sizes and are made of different materials, including metal and plastic.
If you love reading, a book stand is a must-have piece of equipment. A good book stand is durable enough to hold all types of books, be it small, big, light, or heavy, and helps improve your posture when reading. Further, it is versatile enough to hold your laptops and iPads and features several height and angle settings to let you choose the best reading position. When choosing one, always ensure it is made of durable material and is foldable and portable.
- Best Bookshelves
- Best Folding Music Stands
- Best Cell Phone Stands For Desks
- Best Laptop Stands For Couch And Beds