Most parents sterilize a feeding bottle by boiling it. However, now, you can use the best bottle sterilizers for this purpose. Thanks to these bottle sterilizers, the process becomes simple, quick, and safe.
Keep scrolling as we have listed some tried-and-tested options trusted by moms to help you choose a quality product. We also give you a few tips on choosing the right product and tell you all you need to know about bottle sterilizers, including the different types and steps to clean them.
13 Best Bottle Sterilizers For Baby In 2023
1. Best Lightweight And Durable: Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer
A portable microwave steam sterilizer always comes handy on the go. This Philips sterilizer comes with a simple, box-style design with minimal parts. The shape is compact enough to fit into most microwave ovens. You can sterilize four bottles and nipples at a time. If you have Philips AVENT breast pump, then you can place the breast shield for sterilization too. This review video will help you learn more about the baby-friendly product.
- Kills 99.9% of germs
- Plastic is lightweight, durable, and BPA-free
- No-heat grips on the sides allow easy accessibility
- Sterilization time is two minutes at 1200-1850 watts, four minutes at 850-1100 watts, and six minutes at 500-800 watts
- Contents stay sterile for up to 24 hours if the lid is not opened
- Compatible with other baby items like baby pacifiers, bottle nipples, and baby cutlery like spoons and cups
- May not be compatible with small microwaves
- May not dry quickly
[ Read : Avent Electric Steam Sterilizer Review ]
2. Best Easy-To-Operate: Papablic Baby Bottle Electric Steam Sterilizer and Dryer
Are you looking for a three-in-one design? The Papablic sterilizer and dryer has three functions: sterilize, sterilize and dry, and sterilize and extra dry. These functions are controlled by a single rotary knob, which is easy to operate. It can accommodate 11 bottles along with the bottle nipples and a few baby pacifiers. Check out this review video about a tester’s experience with using the product.
- Features two baskets, one at the top and the second at the middle with the reservoir at the base.
- Sterilize in eight minutes
- Sterilization and drying work for 45 minutes
- Sterilization and extra drying last for 65 minutes
- Bottles remain sterilized within unopened baskets for 12 hours
- Very tall bottles may not fit properly
- Hard water stains may be visible
3. Best For Breastpump And Breastfeeding Tools: Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags
Bring home the mommy-approved Medela micro-steam bags for sterilizing bottles and breast pump parts. It also helps to sterilize a couple of bottles, bottle parts, and pacifiers. You only need water and a microwave oven. Pour water into the bag as per the quantity specified, place the bottle, and microwave on maximum wattage for three minutes to sterilize. Learn about this tester’s experience of using the bottle sterilizer in this review video.
- Eliminates 99.9% of germs
- Reusable up to 20 times
- Comes in a pack of five
- Travel-friendly bottle sterilizer
- May be small to hold all the pumping parts
- May not fit large-size bottles
Best Lightweight And Durable
Best For Breastpump And Breastfeeding Tools
|Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer||Papablic Baby Bottle Electric Steam Sterilizer and Dryer||Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags|
|Weight||-||4 pounds||0.01 ounces|
|Dimensions||-||3 x 4 x 3 inches||5.9 x 5.1 x 3.6 inches|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best UV Light Disinfectant: Wabi Baby Touch Panel UV Sterilizer & Dryer
UV light sterilization is a great way to get rid of hidden germs or bacteria. The safe and effective sterilizer and dryer by Wabi Baby disinfects using UV light and can also dry bottles washed with water and soap. Place the washed bottles in the bottle sterilizer with timer, turn on the dry functionality for the bottles to dry, and then go for the UV mode so that you can disinfect the bottles.
- Adjustable bottle sterilization cycles with timer adjustment of 10, 20, and 40 minutes for drying
- Dry and UV modes can be used together or independently
- Touch-control operation
- Time and temperature display
- Fahrenheit and centigrade interchangeable function
- Dual-fan ventilation
- Sterilizer doubles as a storage box
- Can switch between sterilizer and UV mode every two hours
- May be small for some
- LED may not be long-lasting
[ Read : Wabi Baby Sterilizer and Dryer Review ]
5. Best For Wide-Neck And Standard-Neck Bottles: Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer
Dr. Brown’s microwave steam sterilizer has fast-steaming and cleaning power, which ensures quick sterilization of bottles within minutes. It has separate stands on the upper tray for sterilizing four bottles of different sizes, along with other bottle parts, at a time. It comes with tongs to safely remove the bottles after sterilization.
- Fits wide-neck and standard-neck bottles of most brands
- Fits all Dr. Brown’s baby bottles
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- Compatible with different types of bottles, such as anti-colic, vented, and wide-mouth bottles
- May not be tall enough to accommodate 8oz bottles vertically
- Lid may not fit properly sometimes
6. Best With LED Panel: Bololo Baby Bottle Sterilizer
If you’re looking for an innovative baby bottle sterilizer that keeps your baby’s supplies hygienic, the Bololo baby bottle sterilizer is worth considering. It comes with an LED touchscreen panel, making it quite easy to operate. The light is clear, which allows you to use the device both during the day and at night. Further, this safe and effective touchscreen bottle sterilizer has a Teflon coating and enables sterilizing, drying, and storage.
- 600W power enables strong sterilization
- Large barrel can hold up to 12 bottles, breast pumps, and nine-ounce bottles
- One-touch for all operations in auto mode
- Intelligent display of remaining working time
- Can be easily cleaned with a wet cloth
- Bottom of the heat rack may rust over time
- Hot plate may be hard to clean
7. Best Air-Tight Latch: Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer
Give this Steam microwave sterilizer by the trusted brand Munchkin a try. You can sterilize four baby bottles and two breast pump shields at once. A central handle on the upper tray makes it easy to remove it from the sterilizer.
- A latch on each side helps keep the sterilizer air-tight
- Comes with heat-resistant tongs
- Lightweight and durable
- Has no latex, BPA, PVC, phthalate, and latex
- Large-capacity removable basket
- Lid may not stay in place
- May leak
8. Best Cool-Grip Corners: Munchkin Latch Microwave Sterilize Bags
Eliminate 99.9% bacteria on bottles, baby feeding accessories, and pump parts with these sterilizer bags. Each set contains six bags, and each bag can be reused up to 30 times. Each bag of this mom-approved bottle sterilizer for wide-neck bottles has boxes illustrated on the outside so that you can check one after each use.
- Can hold up to two wide-mouth bottles
- Anti-bacterial bottle sanitizer
- Bags have cool-grip corners for easy removal from the microwave oven
- Ideal for traveling
- Convenient to use
- May get stuck
- May leave a white residue
9. Best BPA-Free: Dr. Brown’s Deluxe Bottle Sterilizer
Sterilize bottles and pacifiers at a time with Dr. Brown’s Deluxe bottle sterilizer. This trusted device with enhanced cleansing power can sterilize up to six bottles, nipples, pacifiers, and other parts simultaneously. It is equipped with a built-in accessory tray to hold bottles and other feeding accessories. The versatile BPA-free bottle sterilizer offers compatibility with various bottles.
- Simple and easy, two-button operation
- Operated at the press of the button
- LED lights at the front indicate the current operation
- Has a cooling-down phase
- Time taken for sterilization plus cooling down is ten minutes
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- Includes tongs for easy removal
- May be hard to clean
- Tray may not be deep enough
10. Best Multipurpose: Vcutech Bottle Sterilizer
Get Vcutech bottle sterilizer that disinfects the bottles using UVC light. It has four sterilization modes and can kill 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria. The safe and effective device operates on PTC heating technology for quick and uniform drying. The multifunctional bottle sanitizer unit also acts as a storage unit–you can store the bottles and pacifiers safely for 72 hours.
- Multipurpose sterilizer
- Also works for keys and teethers
- LCD display
- Compartment for sterilizing other objects
- Can use for both sterilizing and drying together
- Bottle may not dry completely in auto settings
- Bottles cannot be seen while the device is running
11. Best Rust-Resistant: Baby Brezza Electric Bottle Sterilizer and Dryer
A sterilizer that comes with different set modes will be of great benefit as you can set the time limit. Bring home the sterilizer and dryer by Baby Brezza. The compact bottle sterilizer offers various modes, including sterilizing only, dry only, and both sterilize and dry. You can set the time limit to 30, 45, or 60 minutes in all the modes, which is displayed on an LCD screen. Further, this tried-and-tested bottle sterilizer with storage function doubles as a storage container to store sterile bottles
- Has a tall, compact, modular design
- Saves a lot of counter space
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- Can hold up to six bottles of any size along with their nipples
- Can also sterilize pacifiers along with the bottles
- Heating plate is made from stainless steel
- Heating plate is resistant to rusting and hard water stains
- Bottles stay sterile for 24 hours after sterilization
- May experience leakage issue
- May be hard to clean
12. Best Auto Shut-Off Function: Hauture Baby Bottle Sterilizer And Dryer
Are you looking for a sterilizer that kills germs effectively? Here is the sterilizer and dryer by Hauture that filters bottles with hot filtered air and kills 99.99 percent of germs with effective sterilizing. The safe and effective bottle sterilizer with drying function can accommodate 11 bottles and other baby items such as pacifiers, spoons, and toothbrushes.
- Made of food-grade and BPA-free materials
- Has an ergonomic design
- Bottle sterilizer for glass bottles, plastic, silicone, and stainless steel bottles
- Has a fast-drying feature that dries bottles in 30 minutes.
- Comes with an auto-shut-off function
- Has an upward-facing operation panel
- Offers a noiseless operation
- May not offer universal voltage support
- May take up counter space
13. Best High Temperature-Resistant: Bellababy Baby Bottle Microwave Steam Sterilizer
Bellababy bottle microwave steam sterilizer is compact and lightweight with a large capacity. It ensures chemical-free and efficient sterilization to kill germs and bacteria, ensuring healthy feeding. The large capacity bottle sterilizer can hold up to four bottles, four pacifiers, and four pacifier caps at once.
- Ensures 99.99% disinfection in two minutes
- Made of PP food-grade material
- Features safety clips on the lid for security
- Side grips stay cool even during heating for safe handling
- High temperature-resistant
- Keep contents sterile for up to 24 hours
- Fits most microwave ovens
- Base can get very hot after use
- Quality of the plastic lid may not be great
What Is A Baby Bottle Sterilizer?
A baby bottle sterilizer is a device that kills germs within and on the baby’s feeding bottle. The sterilizer resembles a plastic box or container that has slots to place the feeding bottles, along with a tray to hold the other components. Most sterilizers use steam to remove harmful bacteria, almost entirely. A clean and sterile baby bottle reduces the risk of the baby developing gastrointestinal problems to nearly zero.
[ Read : Chicco 2 In 1 Steam Sterilizer Review ]
Do You Need A Sterilizer?
It is important to sterilize the baby’s feeding bottles after you have cleaned them with soap and clean water. Warm water and disinfectant soap may remove the food residue but are not enough to kill pathogens in the bottle. Sterilization removes pathogens, adding that extra layer of protection.
While all baby bottle sterilizers aim to make the bottle sterile, the techniques or methodologies used by each are different.
[ Read : Babyhug Steam Sterilizer Cum Warmer Review ]
What Are The Different Types Of Baby Bottle Sterilizers?
There are three types of baby bottle sterilizers:
- Electric sterilizers are plugged to a standard wall power outlet. They use electricity to make steam from the water in the tray. These sterilizers let you control the duration of sterilization and may even have a cooling or drying feature. Other benefits may include auto shut off and special trays to place other items like bottle nipples.
- A microwave bottle sterilizer is a box with slots to place the bottles. It creates steam when placed in a microwave: pour water, place the box in the microwave oven, and turn the oven on. The recommended time of sterilization varies as per the manufacturer and the wattage of the microwave oven. Microwave sterilizers are cheaper and also consume less space.
- Sterilization bags are zip-locked bags in which you pour water and put the bottle. The bag is then placed in the microwave oven and turned on for the time recommended by the manufacturer. The water evaporates into steam and sterilizes the bottles. It works the same way as a standard microwave sterilization box. While sterilization bags have limited capacity, they are portable and reusable for a limited number of times.
- UV light-based: These electric sterilizers use UV light to sterilize the bottles. The UV sterilization technology is similar to what we see in UV water purifiers except that here the UV light passes through the bottles. These waterless bottle sterilizers do not use steam or leave the bottles damp after sterilization. There are few models of UV sterilizers, which also makes them more expensive compared to electric and microwave devices.
[ Read : Philips Avent Classic Soft Spout Cup Reviews ]
How To Choose A Bottle Sterilizer?
The type of sterilizer you need depends on how you intend to use it. Look for the following features in the baby bottle sterilizer, to make the right choice.
- Ease of use: Operating and cleaning the sterilizer should be easy, and the sterilizer should let you sterilize the bottles safely and correctly. Also, check the device’s compatibility with a variety of bottle types for easy and convenient use.
- High-quality and baby-friendly plastic: The plastic of a bottle sterilizer is subjected to a lot of heat. Therefore, it needs to be durable and withstand several cycles of bottle sterilization, without releasing toxins. So, make sure the sterilization box or cover is free of harmful compounds like BPA, which can find their way to the bottle.
- Tray for bottle accessories: You will also need to sterilize the bottle nipples and other baby items like the pacifiers. Having a bottle sterilizer with a tray can let you sterilize all items at once, thus saving you time.
How To Clean A Baby Bottle Sterilizer?
Cleaning the sterilizer involves simple steps and the use of some additional cleaning agents. Refer to the user manual for the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning. In general, cleaning of bottle sterilizers involves the use of.
- Dishwasher or warm soapy water: If you are using a microwave sterilizer, then you can place all the parts in the dishwasher. In the case of electric and UV sterilizer, remove the washable components and put them in a dishwasher. Wash the usual way.
Wash the sterilizer separately without any other utensils to prevent any contamination. Alternatively, you can also use a brush, sponge, and warm soapy water to gently clean the components.
- Descaling: Hard water can leave mineral scales on the heating plate, and excessive scales may impair functionality. Therefore, it is essential to descale the unit. Remove the heating plate, throw away any water, and wipe it clean with a dry cloth.
Use a descaling solution made for sterilizers or regular white vinegar. Pour some vinegar on the heating pad and leave it for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours if you have a lot of scales. Discard the vinegar and rinse the heating plate with water. Wipe away the water with a clean, dry cloth.
Note that descaling is only required in electric sterilizers because they have a metal heating pad that develops scales easily.
Never assemble components of the electric or UV sterilizer while they are wet or damp since water may spoil the electrical components. Once the sterilizer is clean, run it empty or with standard bottles once to rinse any remnants of soapy water and vinegar.
Madison Loethen, a motherhood, home, and lifestyle content creator, says, “You may sterilize your baby’s bottles once a day using boiling water, microwavable bottle sterilizers, or electric steam sterilizers. However, using microwavable and electric steam sterilizers makes your job easier compared to using boiling water.
[ Read : How To Use Chicco Fast Flow Feeding Bottle? ]
Tips For Baby Bottle Sterilizer Usage
Here are some best practices for optimum usage and maintenance of the sterilizer:
- Only place washed bottles: Wash the bottles with soap and water before putting them in the sterilizer. Never directly place dirty bottles with milk in them. A sterilizer is meant to sterilize bottles that have already been cleaned with water and soap.
- Descaling once in four weeks: It is good practice to descale your electric sterilizer unit once in four weeks or about once a month. It prevents the formation of excess scales that can be hard to clean later. You may check the manufacturer’s guide to know how frequently you should descale.
- You can also use distilled water: If you live in an area that contains very hard water, then you can use distilled water instead of regular filtered water for sterilization.
Sterilizing the baby’s bottle is essential and should be a part of your daily routine of preparing the bottle for feeding. Sterilization can protect your baby from several infections. Maintenance of the sterilizer is vital as well to keep it in good condition for as long as you need it.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navathna, our experienced writer and reviewer of baby products, has compiled this list of the best bottle sterilizers from trusted brands after considering the quality and features of various products. She has scoured through online reviews and looked closely at the features and efficiency of each to curate this list for you. Vibha has also added a buying guide so that you can make the right choice based on your requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are bottle sterilizers essential?
A bottle sterilizer is not essential, but it can speed up sterilization and ease the process. And although it kills accumulated germs in baby bottles, it won’t replace washing or rinsing; you still have to rinse your bottles thoroughly before sterilizing them.
2. Is a steam sterilizer better than a UV sterilizer?
Unlike a steam sterilizer, a UV sterilizer can reduce moisture build-up with the help of a dry function. In UV sterilization, the sterilizer kills the germs that directly come in the UV path, while a steam sterilizer spreads the steam across the surface of feeding items and kills the germs.
3. Is dishwasher hot water enough for sterilizing bottles?
An additional sterilizing step may not be required if you are cleaning the baby bottles and feeding items using dishwasher hot water and a hot drying cycle (1).
4. Do I need to sterilize bottles regularly?
Sterilizing the baby bottles is necessary if your baby is born preterm, has a weak immune system, or is below two months old. You should sterilize the baby bottles until your baby reaches 12 months (2).
5. What will happen if I don’t sterilize baby bottles?
Your baby bottles may leave some germs even after a thorough rinsing, and sterilization helps kill such hidden germs. If you do not sterilize the baby bottles, the hidden germs may cause illness in your little one.
6. Are UV sterilizers safe for baby bottles?
A UV sterilizer that meets regulatory standards, such as UL safety standards, is safe and effective for sterilizing baby bottles.
A baby bottle sterilizer keeps your baby’s formula containers clean, hygienic, and safe. The options listed here are lightweight and designed to speed up the sterilization process considerably so you can feed your baby on time. When buying a sterilizer, look for one that is easy to use and made of high-quality child-friendly materials. Further, ensure it comes with a tray for keeping other feeding accessories and baby items, such as nipples and pacifiers, handy. Our top choices include the Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer for its lightweight and compact design, the Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer for its compatibility with a variety of bottles from different baby bottle brands, and the Hauture Baby Bottle Sterilizer And Dryer for its advanced fast-drying function.
Infographic: Why You Should Invest In A Bottle Sterilizer For Your Baby
Parents must consider a baby bottle sterilizer to ensure their child has a healthy and germ-free start. A baby bottle sterilizer is an excellent tool for eliminating germs from your child’s feeding equipment. Here is an infographic that lists the advantages of using a baby bottle sterilizer.
- How to Clean, Sanitize, and Store Infant Feeding Items
- Sterilising baby bottles
- How to clean, sanitize, and store infant feeding items
- Best Glass Baby Bottles
- Best Anti Colic Bottles
- Best Bottle Warmers For Comotomo Bottles
- Best Breast Pumps For Working Moms