- What is a baby bouncer?
- When can a baby use a bouncer seat?
- Are baby bouncers same as baby jumpers?
- How to choose a baby bouncer seat?
- 15 best baby bouncers
- Tips to use a baby bouncer safely
Movement gradually develops in a baby. It begins with moving the hands and the legs rapidly and progresses to slowly moving the entire body to crawl and then eventually walk.
The arm and hand movement develops quickly, while and swimming reflexes are quite strong in babies aged less than six months. At such a stage, a baby bouncer helps the baby move in one place. A bouncer stimulates bouncing and allows the baby to swing safely.
What Is A Baby Bouncer?
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission defines a baby bouncer as a “free-standing product intended to support an infant in a reclined position to facilitate bouncing by the infant, with the aid of a caregiver or by other means, and is intended for infants who have not developed the ability to sit up unassisted (approximately 0 to 6 months old)” (1).
As the definition suggests, a baby bouncer is a seat that can help provide rudimentary exercise to an infant’s muscles when they are not yet ready to sit on their own.
When Can A Baby Use A Bouncer Seat?
You can use baby bouncers right after the baby is born and up to the age of six months or even beyond. Buy a bouncer that is appropriate to your baby’s age.
Are Baby Bouncers Same As Baby Jumpers?
No. Baby bouncers have reclined seats while baby jumpers consist of a harness where you can saddle the baby and suspend them through a pair of elastic bands. You can attach the band to a door frame or a pre-attached stationary metal frame. Baby bouncers on the other hand always come with a seat attached to a frame, with added features such as vibration, swinging, etc.
How To Choose A Baby Bouncer?
You should consider the below points while buying a bouncer seat for babies.
- Straps are a must: Pick bouncer seats that feature a safety strap to secure the baby. A lack of straps can cause the baby to slip and fall, especially if the bouncer seat has features like vibration and swing.
- The frame is sturdy: Check for the hinges, joints, and the overall rigidity of the frame. If it is a full metal frame, then tap on the frame to check the density of the metal. The frame is the basic structure of the seat and must be strong.
- Recline is firm: Several bouncer seats recline. Check if the recline is stiff and the seat does not drop suddenly. The recline feature should be manually adjustable, and the seat should not move on its own even when the baby moves a lot.
- Adequate seat padding: Press the seat and the backrest to check the thickness of the padding. A baby may not spend a lot of time in the bouncer seat, but it still has to be comfortable. Check the alignment of the seat since you do not want your baby to sit in an incorrect position.
- Washable seat top/cover: Not all parts of the seat might be washable, but at least top cover/section should be easy-to-clean. Your baby can drop food and drool on the seat. Removable and machine-washable seat covers are easier to clean.
15 Best Baby Bouncers
1. Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer
- It is a standard bouncer with an electrical swing feature.
- The swing mode features six swing speeds operated through a dashboard on top of the swing.
- The main bouncer seat is removable from the swing motor component, which means you can use the bouncer seat separately.
- The bouncer seat has a two-mode vibration motor that lets you choose between two settings.
- The electrical dashboards also have features like ten melodies and five nature sounds to soothe the baby.
- Safety harness allows you to secure the baby safely into the bouncer seat. A headrest lets the baby recline comfortably.
- The bouncer seat supports babies weighing between 5.5-30lb (2.5-13.6kg), thus making it the best baby bouncer for a newborn.
2. Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker Bouncer
- The bouncer has a rocking feature, vibration feature, and a toy bar.
- The rocker bouncer can be used from infancy to toddlerhood.
- The toy bar comes with three toys including a musical toy.
- Easy-to-fold design with a front kickstand that allows you to place the bouncer seat on any surface.
- The backrest has a two-position recline and a removable back pad, which is machine-washable.
- Supports weight up to 40lb (18kg). The product is certified by JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association).
3. Ingenuity SmartBounce Automatic Ridgedale Bouncer
- The bounce timer setting allows for up to 30 minutes of continuous bouncing motion, making it one of the best automatic baby bouncers.
- There are two bounce speeds.
- The bounce control dashboard also features 11 melodies and nature sounds. Volume control is also present.
- The cradle seat is made from soft premium fabric. The built-in harness keeps the baby secure at its place.
- The toy arc at the top of the bouncer frame comes with two pre-attached plush toys. The bouncer frame is easy-to-clean and can be cleaned with a wipe cloth.
- It can support babies weighing between 10-20lb (4.5-9kg).
4. Playful Pinwheels Bouncer
- Is bright and attractive for babies. The removable toy bar comes attached with three toys.
- One press of a switch allows you to turn on soothing seat vibrations to calm the baby.
- A three-point safety harness keeps the baby secure in the bouncer seat.
- The bouncer seat liner is made of soft fabric. The seat fabric is removable and machine-washable.
- The bouncer seat can support a maximum weight of 25lb (11.3kg).
5. Babybjorn Bouncer Balance Soft
- This is one of the best bouncer seats that can be used for newborns to babies as old as two years.
- Older infants and toddlers can use the bouncer seat as a sitting chair.
- The bouncer reclines to three positions, with one position being almost vertical, ideal for babies with acid reflux.
- It is a portable baby bouncer that you can fold flat, making it easy to carry and transport.
- The bouncer seat is made from easy-to-clean soft fabric that is also machine-washable. The entire seat fits on a sturdy frame that can be manually moved to recreate rocking motion.
- The seat supports a maximum weight of 28lb (12.7kg). The bouncer seat is certified by JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association).
6. Disney Minnie Mouse Garden Delights Bouncer
- One of the best bouncer seats for a baby girl with a bright, attractive color scheme.
- The removable toy bar comes with three toys.
- The soft headrest provides adequate support for the infant’s head when they are in a reclined position.
- Three-point harness to keep the baby secure in the bouncer seat.
- A vibration feature with automatic shut-off in 15 minutes, an excellent safety feature making it the best vibrating baby bouncer.
- The bouncer seat has seven melodies, with a volume control feature, to entertain the baby.
- It comes with maximum weight support of 29lb (13.1kg).
7. Evenflo Lyric Musical Bouncer
- A soft, comfortable bouncer seat with a three-point harness, headrest, and a toy bar with two toys.
- The bouncer seat folds completely flat for easy carrying and storage.
- The seat fabric is removable and machine-washable.
- The seat comes with a Bluetooth module that lets you connect to your phone, to play music through built-in speakers at the base of the bouncer seat.
- It comes with pre-loaded melodies and volume control. There is also a vibration function.
- It can support a maximum weight of 15lb (6.8kg).
8. Graco EveryWay Soother with Removable Rocker
- One of the best electric baby bouncers with eight electrically controlled motions in two directions with six speed selection, to find the perfect motion to soothe your baby.
- You can use the bouncer seat separately by detaching it from the vibrating stand.
- Three recline options allow you to find the ideal position for your baby.
- There are 15 pre-loaded sounds and songs. You can connect the electronic dashboard to the electricity mains with the use of an AC adapter thus removing the need for batteries.
- The toy bar comes attached with two soft plush toys to keep the baby entertained. There is also a safety harness to keep the baby secure.
- It can support a maximum infant weight of 25lb (11.3kg).
9. Fisher-Price Fairytale Deluxe Bouncer
- The bouncer seat is deep, with a separate inner layer for extra padding and comfort for the baby.
- Both the layers of the bouncer seat padding are removable and machine-washable.
- Overhead toy bar helps make it easier to place and remove the baby from the seat. The toy bar comes with two dangling toys to capture the baby’s attention.
- The seat vibrates and also comes with 20 minutes of pre-loaded music to soothe the baby. Volume control lets you achieve the desired volume.
- The bouncer seat supports a maximum weight of 25lb (11.3kg)
10. Baby Einstein Neptune Lights & Sea Bouncer
- It comes with a bright color scheme and toy bar with built-in lights.
- The toy bar comes with two dangling toys, one stationary toy that also works as a control unit, and colorful fabric flashcards to grab the baby’s interest.
- Parents can activate the toy bar lights at the push of the button or set it to be activated by the baby’s movement.
- It comes with a vibration mode that allows you to calm the baby.
- A three-point harness allows you to position the baby securely.
- The bouncer seat supports a maximum weight of 20lb (9kg).
11. Tiny Love Take Along Bouncer
- The bouncer seat closes in a single fold thus making it the best portable baby bouncer seat.
- There is no assembly required, which means you open and use it. When done using it, fold it back again.
- The manufacturer ships the bouncer seat with a free carry bag, which improves the portability quotient.
- The seat is compact enough to fit into a cupboard or a closet.
- The seat weighs only 4.8 lb (2.1 kg). The maximum supported weight is 29lb (13.1kg).
12. Baby Trend Hello Kitty Bouncer
- A deep comfortable, two-layered seat with a large headrest, side support flank pads, and three-point harness.
- The seat lining is machine-washable.
- The toy bar comes with three pre-attached plush soft toys.
- A simple dashboard allows you to control the vibration and also features five melodies with three additional soothing sounds. There is also volume control.
- The bouncer seat supports a maximum weight of 25lb (11.3kg).
13. KidCo BouncePod Travel Bouncer
- Compact, easy-to-fold travel bouncer seat that comes with a travel bag for easy portability.
- Despite its compact shape, the bouncer seat comes with a three-point harness and a large headrest.
- The bouncer seat is removable from the metal frame and is machine-washable.
- The base of the bouncer seat’s legs come with anti-skid rubber pads for extra grip.
- The bouncer seat weighs only 3.3lb (1.5kg). It can support a maximum baby weight of 15 lb (6.8kg).
14. Sassy Cuddle Bug Bouncer
- The bright and attractive color scheme stimulates the vision of the baby and also keeps them entertained.
- The removable toy bar comes with three toys with three distinct functions. Each toy is removable for use separately.
- The bouncer seat comes with three vibration settings and ten lullabies with volume control.
- The seat features a three-point safety harness. There is also a built-in wing-shaped blanket that allows you to swaddle the baby in their bouncer seat.
- The feet of the chair have a non-slip base. The bouncer seat cushion and the blanket are both machine-washable.
- The maximum supported weight by the seat is 20lb (9kg).
15. Fisher-Price Comfort Curve Bouncer
- A removable toy bar with two attractive toys to stimulate the baby’s senses.
- The bouncer seat can be reclined into multiple positions for optimum comfort of the baby.
- A single switch turns on soothing vibrations.
- The seat is extra padded to make it comfortable for a baby to sit for an extended duration.
- The maximum weight supported by the bouncer seat is 25lb (11.3kg). The product is certified by JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association).
Tips To Use A Baby Bouncer Safely
- Always check the maximum supported weight: Each manufacturer recommends a maximum weight for the bouncer seat. Make sure you check the weight limit of the bouncer seat before placing your baby. If your baby outgrows the weight limit, then stop usage immediately to prevent damage to the chair that can lead to the baby’s fall.
- Never leave the baby alone in bouncer seat: Bouncer seats come with safety features like three-point harness and backrest, but they are not safe enough for parents to leave their babies alone in it. You must always be around with your baby when they are in a bouncer seat.
- Bouncer seat is suitable for sitting only: No matter how comfy a bouncer seat gets, it is not an ideal place for your baby’s naps and bedtime. Bouncer seats are best used for playtime and as tools to stimulate the baby’s senses. When it comes to sleep, the baby’s crib is the safest place.
Bouncer seats are excellent for babies until they can sit all by themselves. Parents have a variety of bouncer seats, with unique features, to select from. Pick one that works best for your baby to sit and also play.
Have something to share about bouncer seats? Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.