Spending the weekends bowling with your buddies is the perfect definition of fun. And if you are someone who likes bowling, you know that keeping the balls shiny and clean is crucial to getting control over your throws. The best bowling ball cleaners do much more than what wiping with a wet cloth does. With a proper cleaner, you take control of the ball’s smoothness and control.
Whether you play a competitive game or bowl with friends just for leisure, you would enjoy the game only when you have better control over your throws. In this post, we have listed some of the best bowling ball cleaning liquids that you can choose from. So, bring one home and bowl your way to glory.
11 Best Bowling Ball Cleaners
1. Best Overall: Lane Ghost Bowling Ball Cleaner
This ball cleaner is part of the club of approved bowling ball cleaners to remove oil build-up, dirt, scuff marks, and belt marks from your ball. The cleaner is a tried-and-tested product that has been reformulated to be one of the best bowling ball cleaners in the market. It restores the tack and prolongs the life of the ball, while ensuring that you throw a perfect hook everytime. It’s safe to use on all types of bowling balls and coverstock materials such as plastic, urethane, and reactive resin. All you need to do is spray on the cleaner, leave the ball for five to ten seconds, and wipe it down with a towel to remove dirt and oil. Irrespective of the type of ball you’re throwing, this bowling ball cleaning kit will make bowling ball maintenance a breeze and ensure that it’s always clean and in optimal condition.
- Doesn’t leave a residue
- Removes belt marks
- Convenient to use
- Rigorously quality-tested and reformulated
- May not work well on scuff marks
2. Best Portable: Pyramid Monster Tac Ball Cleaner
This bowling ball cleaner is from a company founded by bowlers, for bowlers. It maintains the highest quality products possible at a very affordable cost. Designed to remove oil, this ball cleaner is easy to apply, easy to remove, and keeps your bowling balls clean and ready for the lanes. It destroys oil and belt marks in a matter of minutes. This cleaner is safe for all bowling balls and is approved for use on all coverstock types. It does not contain any chemicals that can damage the lane, and it can be used for any lane, irrespective of the amount of oil on it. This cleaner restores the properties of your bowling ball’s surface to keep you at the top of your game. It comes in a size that can fit conveniently into your bowling bag.
- Restores the tack
- Improves your game
- Comes in an easy-to-use spray bottle
- Some may find its application a bit messy.
3. Best Easy-To-Apply: Storm Reacta Foam Bowling Ball Cleaner
This bowling ball polisher and cleaner has a competitive edge over other cleaners as it features a unique foam dispenser that allows you to apply it directly onto the bowling ball. This is innovative and cost-effective as you end up saving a lot of product. It is especially designed for reactive balls. This one-step bowling ball cleaner thoroughly cleans the dirty ball and restores its tack. This not only prolongs the life of your ball but also improves your game as it keeps your throws consistent and helps the ball stay on track. The bowling ball grips a little better and allows you to have a perfect shot as it stays straight for longer, maintaining its power. It can also be used to polish the ball and remove some of the scratches and scuffs. Take a look at this video to get more information on the product.
- Long lasting
- Easy to apply
- Great for cleaning dirt and oil
- Easy to carry in a bag
- May not work for belt marks
|Lane Ghost Bowling Ball Cleaner||Pyramid Monster Tac Ball Cleaner||Storm Reacta Foam Bowling Ball Cleaner|
|Material||-||Monster Tac Bowling Ball Cleaner (4oz)||-|
|Producg Dimensions||-||-||8.78 x 2.44 x 2.2 inches|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best For Plastic: Hammer Remove All Ball Cleaner
If you need something to clean and revitalize the surface of your ball, this bowling ball polisher and cleaner is definitely worth a try. The ball cleaner works wonders on dirt, oil, grime, and belt marks and keeps them working like new. It polishes the surface of the bowling ball, leaving the ball tacky for a better backend hook, and keeps the ball on track. As per reviews, it works equally well on plastic and high-end urethane and reactive bowling balls. It’s convenient to carry in your bowling ball bag, and is also available in a 32 oz bottle.
- USBC approved
- Comes in a 8oz bottle
- Easy to apply
- Comes with a free orange microfiber towel for cleaning
- May leave the ball sticky for a bit
5. Best Professional-Grade: Creating The Difference That Purple Stuff Bowling Ball Cleaner
This bowling ball polisher and cleaner enables bowlers to maintain their equipment in order to bowl and give their best performance. The bowling ball is bound to pick up grime and oil during the game, which affects your throws and your performance. This cleaner is specially formulated to help any bowler keep their bowling ball clean. Just apply it to a cleaning pad and wipe the ball with it for all the dirt and oil to disappear. It helps you to perform consistently while playing your favorite spins or hooks, making it an excellent choice for professional games or tournaments. Ronald Hickand Jr., a bowler, celebrity bowling coach and entrepreneur, says, “It restores the tack back to your bowling ball and brings it back to just like it was when it was brand new. It is approved for use during competition.” It’s available in multiple sizes of 4 oz, 6 oz, and 1 gallon which includes an empty 8 oz bottle for easy dispensing. This video offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- USBC approved
- Professional grade cleaner
- Convenient size to carry
- Easy application
- Some might find the flip top cap inconvenient for applying the cleaner.
6. Best For Deep Cleaning: KR Strikeforce Clean And Hook Ball Cleaner
KR Strikeforce’s Clean And Hook cleaner is perfect if you want to give the bowling ball a deep cleanse. Apart from removing dirt and oil from the ball, it also restores the ball’s natural and original surface, making dull balls as good as new. The cleaner is gel-based, which makes it slow-to-dry, thus facilitating a deep cleansing session at a steady and convenient pace. Moreover, the cleaner is ideal for pre- and post-gaming cleansing sessions. You may use this cleaning product with a simple microfiber ball wipe, shammy pad, or an abrasion pad depending on your convenience.
- All-purpose cleaner
- Suitable for most standard bowling balls
- Suitable for high-performance balls
- May be slightly messy to apply
7. Best Industrial-Grade: Creating the Difference Life After Death Bowling Ball Cleaner
Creating The Difference Life After Death bowling ball cleaner spray is a USBC-approved formula. Instead of solvents, it uses proprietary cleaning agents and chemical resin to remove dirt and oil and gives you a squeaky clean ball. In addition, the cleaner is infused with an additive called tackify to leave your ball shiny and clean. This all-around cleaner breaks down dirt on the ball’s surface, penetrates the ball’s coverstocks for deep cleaning, and leaves a protective layer to save it from further scuffing. Moreover, the industrial strength cleaner comes in an easy-to-use spray bottle and can increase the longevity of the bowling ball by keeping it fresh and clean.
- Non-flammable ingredients
- Non-toxic formula
- Easy application
- Polymer cleaning formulation
- Removes dirt and oil
- Has to be stored at an appropriate temperature
8. Best Mark Remover: Tac Up Bowling Ball Cleaner
Keeping your bowling ball clean is vital for enjoying a good bowling game. The Tac Up bowling ball cleaner spray can help remove dirt, lane oil, scruff, and belt marks, leaving your ball shiny and clean. In addition, frequently cleaning the bowling ball with this ball polishing product can provide a consistent ball reaction and prolong the its lifespan. For best results, directly spray the cleaner on the ball, let it sit for around ten seconds, and then wipe it clean with a soft cloth.
- Specially formulated for bowling balls
- Restores the ball’s natural tack
- Easy to use
- Cap might be flimsy
- Might have an overpowering smell
9. Best Compact: Neo Tac Hook-It Ball Cleaner
This bowling ball polisher and cleaner comes in a 6oz bottle and has a fun bowling pin shape. It effortlessly removes dirt, grime, and oil rings. It also removes scratch and belt marks from the ball, which increases tac for greater hooks. This cleaner serves the dual purpose of cleaning and polishing, and enhances your performance on the bowling lane. The product is USBC-certified, and you can use the cleaner during, before, and after the league without violating the set norms of the bowling game.
- Easy to use
- Convenient to carry
- Sleek and compact design
- Does a better job at polishing and may not be a great cleaning option
10. Best Water-Based: Vise Bowling Ball Cleaner
This bowling ball polisher and cleaner spray cleans any bowling ball to give it a clean surface. It comes in an 8oz spray bottle that is easy to carry in your bowling ball bag and is convenient to use. It’s a water-based cleaner, doesn’t have a strong smell, and cleans belt marks easily. It is safe to handle and safe for use on the coverstock of all types of bowling balls. This is the reason it has found its way into the finest pro shops and lockers of bowlers around the world. As per reviews, it removes lane oil, grime, and dirt, and also restores tackiness to the coverstock for an optimal performance.
- USBC approved
- Easy application
- Convenient size
- Available in 32oz size as well
- May not polish the ball as effectively
11. Best Versatile: Kegel Revive Ball Cleaner
This is quite the perfect ball cleaner because we know that all cleaners leave small traces of residue, and this product has capitalized on that. Residue on the ball changes its surface energy, and this cleaner not only does a great job of cleaning, but also changes the surface energy of the bowling ball. A bowling ball has a strong attraction to the lane conditioner. When you use this cleaner on your bowling ball, it lowers its surface energy. This lower surface energy decreases the attraction of the ball’s surface to the lane conditioner. As a result, it reduces the amount of conditioner that is absorbed into the cover and also reduces dirt buildup. It not only cleans the oil and dirt off bowling balls but also takes off belt marks, leaving your ball feeling like new. This great product comes in a convenient 8oz bottle and increases the performance and lifespan of your bowling ball.
- Easy to use
- Performs in both hot and cold conditions
- Is compatible with all types of bowling balls
- Some may find the size too small
How To Choose The Right Bowling Ball Cleaner?
Here are some key features you should look out for when choosing a bowling ball resurfacing and cleaning kit.
- USBC-approved: Bowling balls are regulated by the United States Bowling Congress who test products and give approval whether they can be used for professional competitions. They check whether the cleaner changes the finish of the ball, whether it makes the ball have a duller or slicker surface, or whether it has any harsh abrasives that may affect the surface of the ball or lane. While it may not matter in the case of a casual player, a professional player will definitely need to look for expert-approved products to avoid getting penalized. A USBC-approved certificate assures that the bowling cleaner is in compliance with the norms set by them, and the impact of the cleaner on the ball and on the lane surface.
- Size of the bottle: A small-sized ball cleaner is definitely more practical to carry in your bowling bag, but a larger bottle is more economical and gives you value for your money. A larger bottle is also ideal for those who want to use it over the course of a season.
- Utility: Some ball cleaners are designed only for cleaning the grime and oil ring on your bowling ball, while others are designed to also remove scuff marks and scratches. The latter are more practical, as you don’t have to worry about buying 2 different products, and you always have a shiny bowling ball. Some ball cleaners also remove the grime and oil, and retain the ball’s grip so that the bowler can grip and throw the ball as it was before cleaning. They ensure the consistency of performance while playing. To remove oil from the ball, it’s best to look for an emulsifying compound.
- Versatility: There are ball cleaners that can clean as well as polish. You also have cleaners that are suitable for all types of bowling ball coverstocks. Then, there are cleaners that can be used to clean the ball in the ball spinner as well as by hand. A versatile cleaner is worth the price because of the advantages it offers.
- Frequency of playing: If you are a professional bowler or like to spend all your leisure time in the bowling alley, you will obviously need to get a really good bowling ball cleaner. The ball cleaner should be able to work with any cover stocks.
- Environmentally friendly: Many cleaners are harsh on the environment and you can usually tell whether the solution contains harmful chemicals from the scent itself. If you are environmentally conscious, there are a lot of biodegradable cleaners that will let you clean your bowling ball without harming the environment.
- Smell: Although this might seem very insignificant, a strong smell coming from your bowling ball can actually throw you off. Some people may also be allergic to some of the chemicals used in ball cleaners that result in a strong scent. A good bowling ball cleaner should not have an overpowering smell.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of skilled writers and reviewers brings you this list of the best bowling ball cleaners after analyzing and comparing several best-selling products and user reviews and ratings. Most of these consumer-tested cleaners help restore the shine on the ball and come in bottles that are portable and easy to use. We have described the features of each product in detail and listed the pros and cons to help you make an informed choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How frequently should I clean my bowling ball?
The frequency depends on how often you play. Although cleaning the ball after each game is recommended, you can skip it if the ball is not obviously oily and greasy. The main reason for cleaning after every game is to prevent the ball from soaking oil, grime, and sweat. This can alter the way the ball rolls and also hinder your grip.
2. Do bowling ball cleaners damage the lane?
The composition of the cleaner determines its effect on the lane. An alcohol-based liquid or gel cleaner is considered safe for the bowling lane. But, if the cleaner contains harmful chemicals such as methyl ethyl ketone or acetone, it is likely to damage the surface and smoothness of the bowling lane. Using a USBC-approved cleaner is the safest bet.
3. What can I use to clean my bowling ball?
Use a field-tested bowling ball cleaner that is USBC-approved, easy to use (spray-based), convenient to carry, compatible with a variety of materials, and non-toxic. Opt for cleaners from companies and brands who are known for their niche mastery.
4. Is rubbing alcohol good for cleaning bowling balls?
It could do the job of removing dirt and germs off the bowling ball but at a price. Being a pure chemical, constant use of rubbing alcohol could dry up the ball’s surface and make it brittle over time.
5. How should I get scuff marks off bowling balls?
Using a bowling ball cleaner can help remove scuff marks along with oil residue and dirt since bowling ball cleaners are also designed to polish the balls.
6. Can I use car polish on my bowling ball?
Yes, you may use it occasionally. However, it is not recommended.
Having a good bowling ball cleaner is vital to the game as it determines the consistency of your performance, irrespective of whether you are a beginner or a pro. The best bowling ball cleaners prolong the life of every ball by removing the oil and dirt that it picks up with every shot, thus ensuring a clean, shiny ball that glides across the alley without leaving track marks behind. Each bowling ball cleaner listed here comes with distinctive features and is super-convenient to use. When buying one, ensure the cleaner is USBC-approved, comes in the right size, serves your specific purpose, and is environmentally friendly. So, bring home a good bowling ball cleaner and bow that perfect ball with nothing coming in your way.
Infographic: A Buying Guide For Bowling Ball Cleaners
The dust and debris on a bowling ball can affect the way it moves on the bowling lane. Wiping or cleaning the ball with a cleaner can make your performance more consistent and help keep germs away from your skin. Follow the infographic to get an appropriate bowling ball cleaner.