Did you know the best bread box can go a long way in keeping bread fresh and tasty? Bread boxes were popular when people used to bake their bread at home and store it to protect against pests. However, with the availability of ready-made slices of bread in the market, their popularity had slowed down. However, these have regained popularity in recent times, considering that keeping bread in the refrigerator speeds up the staling process.
People have again become focused on eating fresh and healthy, and these bread boxes play an important role in keeping the bread fresh and safe from pests. So if you plan to buy one, check out this list as we bring you some tried-and-tested and high-quality bread storage solutions and highlight their pros and cons. We also give you tips on how to store bread properly.
Materials Used To Make Bread Boxes
While in the olden days, wooden bread boxes were traditionally the norm, some were also made via pottery (called bread crocks). The stylish bread boxes of today are usually made of wood, steel, ceramic, or plastic.
- Wooden bread box: The classic! If you are looking for something traditional and one that would go with the rustic feel of your kitchen, then a wooden bread box is your best bet. You can store large quantities of bread in them as they are usually spacious. However, wood has a tendency to absorb odors and can swell when exposed to hotter temperatures. This means that the lid of the wooden bread box could be hard to close in the long run.
- Stainless steel bread box: If yours is a fancy designer kitchen and you wish to add some more style to this aesthetic, then a stainless steel bread box with a gleaming mirror finish is what you need. It is easier to clean, more robust, is tested to withstand wear, and is rust-resistant. The only drawback of this one is that it can show fingerprint smudges, so you may have to clean it more regularly. As it is made of metal, be careful not to leave it under direct sunlight.
- Ceramic bread box: Other than adding that old country charm to your kitchen, a ceramic bread box ensures to keep your bread safe from sunlight, moisture, and pests. If you are looking for something artsy, several of these ceramic bread boxes now come with beautiful hand-painted floral designs. With this one, you can be certain that your bread will stay fresher, with no microbial growth. However, with ceramic, you do have to be careful as it is fragile and can easily chip away.
- Plastic bread box: The cost-efficient alternative to the above materials is definitely plastic. You will find several durable bread boxes made of clear plastic, which lets you see how your bread is doing without having to open the lid regularly. While being the affordable option and light in weight, these aren’t an environmentally friendly option.
15 Best Bread Boxes To Buy
1. Best Durable:Home-it Stainless Steel Bread Box
The elegant stainless steel bin with an innovative roll top design, makes Home-it Stainless Steel Bread Box an ideal countertop storage unit. Generously spacious, this gray bread box, which is made of brushed inox, can hold several loaves, cookies, French rolls, and other baked goods at one time. If you are big on shiny stylish kitchenware that will look stunning on your countertops, then we’ve got news! With a sleek design, it will complement well with your other stainless appliances in the kitchen. The smooth roll top allows the lid to open and close with ease. It has a cool and dark interior that ensures your baked goods stay fresh and tasty for longer. The size of this bread box is 16.5 x 10 x 8 inches and has ventilation holes for good air circulation. Engineered using modern techniques, this box has shielding plastic trims, which makes it scratch-proof. Here’s a review video detailing a tester’s experience to help you get a better understanding of the product.
- Easy to clean
- May need to be wiped regularly as it can show fingerprint smudges
2. Best Dishwasher-Safe:Cooler Kitchen Vertical Bread Box With Eco Bamboo Cutting Board Lid
If you aren’t the kind that is too impressed by glorified decorations, and instead insist on form and function, then Cooler Kitchen Vertical Bread Box will be your greatest find. This farmhouse-style bread keeper will give a retro look to your kitchen countertops. It measures 13 x 7 x 9.5 inches, is made of sturdy, thick metal, and can hold multiple numbers of baked goods in a go. The lid is a bamboo cutting board that is easy to lift and close. Get your bread off the box, carve it on the bamboo lid and place the rest of it back; it is that easy and functional. The lid isn’t airtight, allowing for good ventilation and preventing mold growth, making it one of the most functional bread boxes available. With its big size, this bread box will host all your baked goods in one and still leave some room for an opened pack of chips. It comes in three colors — red, cream, and black.
- Box is dishwasher-safe
- Great storage capacity
- Multipurpose lid
- No fingerprint smudges
- May be unvented
3. Best Easy-To-Clean:Culinary Couture Blue Bread Box
The crisp design with sharp blue color and polished finish gives this Blue Bread Box by Culinary Couture a ritzy look. This vintage-looking bread organizer box makes for a great wedding present, or a housewarming or Mother’s Day gift as it comes in a stunning gift box. Designed to extend the shelf life of the bread, its lid seals tightly, keeping pests away. It also hosts tiny holes in the back that allows good air circulation and keeps the bread’s texture and taste intact for a long period of time. With 16.5 x 9 x 6.5-inch dimensions, this bread box is modern and roomy, hosting at least a loaf of bread and two packs of buns.
- Easy to clean
- Material doesn’t corrode
- Available in five other colors — black, orange, red, white, turquoise, and yellow.
- The lid may dent.
4. Best Multifunctional:Nicola Living Bread Box
The Nicola Living Bread Box is a versatile bread box that can also be used as a storage container. It has a bamboo wood lid that covers the bread box and can also be used as a mess-free cutting board for bread and other baked goods. The box features six ventilation holes for air circulation and moisture control, ensuring the bread remains fresh. This bread storage unit is made of durable restaurant-grade galvanized metal that’s certified for food safety and is non-toxic, making it one of the top food-safe and easy-to-clean bread boxes.
- Elegant and modern design
- Compact size
- Easy to clean
- Long-lasting design
- Lid might warp after repeated use
- Might be smaller than expected
5. Best Corrosion-Free:Brabantia Fall Front Bread Box
The fingerprint-proof matte steel finish exterior of Brabantia Fall Front Bread Box is a beauty to look at on your kitchen countertop. With 7.3 x 18.2 x 9.8-inch dimensions, it offers a flat top that allows for extra storage and a roomy interior to store at least two loaves at a time. The box’s lid opens to the front and has a clever magnetic seal that makes sure that your freshly baked goods aren’t squished while you close the door. It will keep your favorite bakes away from rodents and insects while also keeping the bread’s texture intact for a longer period. Smudge-free and stylish, this product’s rectangular design lets you place a canister on top of it conveniently. With eye hooks on the back, you can attach it to a wall kitchen unit, freeing up space on your countertop.
- Proper ventilation
- Corrosion-free metal
- 10-year guarantee
- No clattering noise when opening and closing lid
- May be difficult to open the lid
6. Best Well Ventilated:All-Green Products Vintage Bread Box
If you love all things vintage, then this time-tested bread box by All-Green Products is the perfect match for your kitchen! This bin promises to bring back nostalgic memories of your grandma’s kitchen, where she preserved her freshly baked loaves in a metal box. With a retro look and a bright yellow color, not only will this brighten up your space, but it is sure to be a great conversation piece the next time you have your friends and family over for a party. Made of cold-rolled steel and with 16 x 9 x 6.5 inches interior, this bread box seals just the right amount of moisture and has concealed holes that will allow fresher air to circulate. It comes with a butter dish, a bread serving suggestion eBook, a colorful gift box, and a mobile stand. It is available in four colors — turquoise, cream, red, yellow, and light green.
- Durable powder coating
- Allows air circulation
- Easy to clean
- Does not chip
- The lid may be prone to denting.
7. Best Affordable:Claimed Corner Metal Bread Box
If you are struggling for storage space in your kitchen, then Claimed Corner Metal Bread Box is an ideal choice for you! It will maximize your limited kitchen storage space, freeing up the countertop and cupboard to place other appliances while also keeping your bread fresh. It will keep your countertop free of breadcrumbs and clutter, so rest assured your kitchen will be clean and free of pests. Measuring 13.5 x 7.5 x 9.5 inches, it can hold two loaves of bread and still have extra space to spare. It allows enough air inside via the lid, vital to maintaining the humidity level, while also trapping sufficient moisture to keep your bread tastier in the long run. Plus, with handles on the side, you can easily carry it around.
- Durable and solid build
- Easy to clean
- White powder-coating finish
- The bottom may be wobbly.
8. Best Sleek:Baking & Beyond Metal Bread Box
Baking & Beyond’s quality-tested and space-saving bread box is made of durable and rust-proof galvanized metal, ensuring sturdiness and longevity. The box is compact and provides a convenient way to store bread, while its eco-friendly flat-handled bamboo lid doubles as a chopping board when flipped over. This air-tight box is spacious enough to keep your bread fresh for a long time, and its sleek and modern criss-cross design makes it an elegant and functional addition to any household.
- Available in two colors
- Food-safe material
- Easy to clean
- Ideal for gifting
- May not be suitable for tall bread
- Lid may be a little flimsy
9. Best Storage Capacity: Homekoko Double Layer Bread Box
Homekoko’s double-layer bread display box regulates moisture to maintain the bread’s freshness for three to four days. The plexiglass window allows a clear vision to gauge the bread’s status. Its huge capacity can store two big bread loaves, muffins, or other baked goods that get deformed if constricted. The package includes a screwdriver to help with convenient and proper assembly. This patented product has a beautiful farmhouse-chic design and will add to the decor of your space.
- 0.8-inch gap from the countertop and 0.5-inch gap behind the backboard to ensure the bread’s freshness
- Double-arc and edged bottom for easy grip
- Made of sturdy and strong bamboo wood
- Front door has two hinges and a magnet to cover the items inside
- Might have a distinct smell
- May be bulky for some
10. Best Non-Toxic:RoyalHouse Natural Bamboo Roll Top Bread Box
With a warm-hued bamboo surface and tasteful design, this bread box will accentuate the classic appeal of your kitchen nook. Made of unadulterated bamboo, it is one of the most eco-friendly options in the market that will keep your bread safe from curious pets and ensure it stays fresh. Bamboo is known for its antibacterial property, so rest assured your food will be safe from microbial growth. With 15.12 x 11 x 6.8-inch dimensions, this bread box can hold up to two loaves of bread. You can oil your bamboo breadbox and keep it away from direct sunlight to prevent damage in the long run. Since it is made of 100% natural raw materials, we recommend you clean it using a dry cloth if you want it to last for long.
- Non-toxic material
- Keeps bread fresh for a week
- Sturdy build
- May need to be wiped dry regularly
11. Best Low Maintenance:Juvale Stainless Steel Bread Box
Made of smooth and durable stainless steel, Juvale’s bread box is one of the top-rated bread boxes available online. This retro style box is designed to promote the shelf life of your bread as well as baked delicacies such as pastries and cinnamon rolls. This bin measures 16.75 x 9 x 6.5 inches and offers generous spacing for two loaves of bread and a handful of bagels. The lid shuts tight, keeping your bakes away from pests. While the small holes on the back, between the two hinges, allows for air circulation, further aiding in keeping the bread fresh for longer. With rounded edges, a rectangular top, and a smooth finish, this bread box lends a premium look and is sure to upgrade your kitchen countertop look.
- Durable material
- Easy to clean
- Low maintenance
- May need to be cleaned regularly to remove fingerprint smudges
12. Best Compact Design:Mud Pie Circa Bread Box
If you are looking for a compact bread box for countertop or pantry storage, the Mud Pie Circa Bread Box measures 14×12 inches, making it easy to store and carry. The size will help you keep your kitchen clean, neat, and organized, and make your kitchen countertop look attractive, thanks to its rustic yet chic farmhouse design.
- Lightweight design
- Lid can also be used as a chopping board
- Lid fits snugly
- No assembly needed
- Might seem smaller than expected to some
13. Best Lightweight:Klee Utensils Large Bamboo Bread Box
If you aren’t a fan of sitting and figuring out how to build a bread box off the parts, then voila! This Large Bamboo Bread Box by Klee Utensils is exactly what you need. The roll top shutter with an easy-to-grasp wooden knob ensures a smooth-sliding for easy access. This box will store your bread, extend its freshness, and prevent curious pets from munching on your favorite bakes. Its solid flat top will let you keep canisters and kitchen gadgets, freeing up more space in your cupboard. Measuring 15.8 x 10.8 x 6.8 inches, this bread box can hold two loaves of bread. Made of bamboo, it retains enough moisture to slow down the degradation of starch, retaining the moistness and crispy crust of the bread.
- Won’t leave fingerprint smudges
- Easy to clean with mild soap and water
- Made of non-chemically treated bamboo
- May not be roomy enough
14. Best Easy-To-Carry: G.a Homefavor Bread Box For Kitchen
With a bamboo lid, G.a Homefavor Bread Box For Kitchen allows air ventilation, making sure that your bread stays soft. As the lid isn’t tightly sealed, it retains moisture well. You can slice your bread on its smooth bamboo lid, and the crumbs will fall into the grooves of the cutting board and drop right back into the box, keeping your countertop clean. Just make sure the bamboo lid is washed by hand and dried right after. Being one of the best small bread boxes, it measures 11.56 x 6.7 x 5.5 inches and has two handles on the sides so you can carry it around easily. It is made of powder-coated steel that doesn’t dent. It is beautiful as well as practical and can hold up two artisanal loaves at a time.
- Easy to carry
- Metal box container is dishwasher-safe
- Might be smaller in size
15. Best Vintage:Mountain Woods Extra Large Bread Box With Rattan Lid
While the rest of the bread boxes may look retro, this one’s truly vintage! It is built with acacia hardwood, which is farmed using ethical and environmentally-friendly forest practices. This beautiful antique style bread box comes with metal fitting and a magnetic door. With 16 x 10.5 x 9-inch dimensions, it makes for a spacious room for your baked goods. Plus, it prolongs the shelf life of the bread. You can wipe it with mild soap and water, and dry it instantly with a cloth. Also, you can rub it occasionally with oil to maintain the look.
- Easy to open and close
- Well ventilated
- May require regular maintenance
How To Choose The Right Bread Box?
Here are some factors you must consider before buying a bread box.
- Size: How big is your countertop? Does having a wall-mounted bread box make better sense for you? And if you are buying one to be placed on the countertop, make sure it stores enough bakes for the space it occupies.
- Style: A breadbox should always be placed in the most wholesome corner of your kitchen. It is the appliance almost everyone will reach out to, and hence, it must fit your vibe and the decor.
- Lid design: From multipurpose cutting board lids to the sleek roll-up ones, a breadbox lid definitely catches everyone’s fancy. Hinged lids take up more space while opening, while a slide up lid doesn’t take up any and is ideal for shelves.
- Ventilation: While being sealed well, an ideal bread box also allows minimal airflow to keep your bread moist in the center and crispy on the crust. Good air circulation will also reduce condensation and thus prevent fungal growth.
- Materials: Depending on what suits your aesthetics best and the things you expect from your bread box, you can pick from varied materials of bread boxes, including wood, stainless steel, ceramic, and plastic.
How To Properly Store Bread In A Bread Bin
- Make sure to always keep the bread in its original packaging in the bread box.
- If you have baked them at home, package them in a plastic bag or plastic wrap, and then keep them in the box.
- If your bread is still hot, ensure that it is cooled down to room temperature before placing it in the bin.
- Breadcrumbs may cause molds. Dust off breadcrumbs and then store it in a clean bread box.
- Avoid storing bread in unventilated boxes as they encourage condensation, causing mold growth.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Sakshi John is an experienced writer and reviewer specializing in furniture and kitchenware. She explores various forums to curate premium expert-recommended products for your convenience. Her list of the best bread boxes includes various practical options to suit your requirements. The well-researched collection based on reviews and features ensures high-quality products for long-lasting performance. She has also included a buying guide to help you choose the right bread box.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long will my bread stay fresh inside the box?
If you are looking for a one-week timeline, then yes, your bread will stay at the peak of its freshness. The environment around where you live, the type of bread and the material of the bread box are some of the parameters responsible for how long it stays fresh.
2. Can I store bread that is fresh off the oven?
One of the best bread storage tips includes cooling the bread down to room temperature by keeping it out in the open if it is fresh from the oven. Once it’s cooled down, place it in the bread box.
3. What can I do with bread that’s gone stale?
Well, lucky for you, there are several recipes that use stale bread. From comfort food like the French onion soup to homemade croutons and pudding, stale bread can be recycled to be so much more!
4. Why can’t I just store the bread in the refrigerator?
Refrigeration will degrade the texture of your bread and offer a cooler temperature that encourages mold growth. Hence, leaving it in a plastic wrap outside or a bread box is more desirable.
5. Which type of bread stays fresher for longer?
Sourdough bread is more resistant to catching mold than the others and should be your go-to, if you aren’t a frequent baker or buyer. Bread made with more preservatives have a better chance at lasting longer than the others.
6. How beneficial are ceramic or clay bread boxes?
When it comes to bread storage ideas, earthen bread boxes made of ceramic or clay are good at absorbing moisture, which helps prevent the bread from drying out.
7. Should the bread box be tightly closed?
No. Bread will stay relatively fresher if your box doesn’t have an airtight seal, as this will allow greater air circulation. You can also keep it inside a paper bag if all else fails.
Enjoy fresh bread every morning with high-quality bread boxes. Available in various materials and designs, bread boxes offer a suitable storage space that keeps mold away. However, remember to dust off breadcrumbs before storing the bread to prevent molds and look for boxes that allow optimal ventilation. It is crucial to pick a bread box that is non-toxic, eco-friendly, durable, and lightweight, and avoid those that may not be spacious enough or require frequent maintenance. We hope our list of the best bread boxes can give you insight into your requirements and the available options.
Infographic: How To Keep Bread From Going Stale?
Bread can satiate one’s hunger in an instant. You can prepare several dishes, ranging from snacks to desserts, with the humble bread. However, bread can go stale quickly if not stored properly. The infographic can help solve that problem.
- Best Loaf Pans Perfect For Bread-Baking
- Best Bread Maker Machines
- Best Cloth Diaper Pails To Keep Away The Stink
- Best Baguette Pans For Superior Baking