Playtime for children doesn’t necessarily have to be only about fun; it can also help them learn and hone their skills. The best building sets for kids provide innovative and creative play opportunities. Kids utilize their creativity to come up with unique ways of completing the tasks, thus developing their motor and cognitive skills. Allow children to create their fantasy world with these challenging building sets without compromising on the fun factor. These time-tested, skill-building toys may even help kids work their cognitive skills and prepare them for school, academics, sports, and much more.
In this post, we have put together a list of some interesting building set toys from trusted brands that can help your kids have a fun learning experience.
12 Best Building Set Toys For Kids To Get Creative In 2023
1. Best Geometric Design: Picasso Tiles Magnetic Building Tiles
Your child’s wish is this building toy set’s command! There are no limitations, and the child can build structures of various shapes. Check out this review video of the 3D building set for kids if you require more convincing.
- Includes 60 magnetic tiles to build 3D structures
- Offers great learning experience with geometric patterns and an architectural vibe
- Features colorful tiles
- Can be dismantled and stored easily
- Ideal for groups and family time
- Some tiles may have sharp edges
- May not be scratch-resistant
2. Best For Creativity: Play Platoon Building Bricks Kit
If your child is into all things engineering, this safety-tested brick building toy would be the right option for them.
- Consists of 1,100 building bricks, 100 tiles, tires, wheels, etc.
- Easy-to-fix pieces
- Promotes imagination and creativity
- Includes ten different colors
- Meets US Consumer Product Safety Commission Toy Safety Standards
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- May have sharp edges
- Some pieces may be difficult to snap to others
3. Best For Improving Logical Thinking: ThinkFun Gravity Maze
Challenge your child with this fun gravity maze game and develop their logical thinking abilities. If you want to find out more about this best-selling product and its usage, make sure to check out this review video.
- Contains 60 challenges ranging from beginner to expert levels
- Includes three marbles, a game grid, nine towers, and a target piece
- Has multi-level challenges for developing critical thinking ability
- Premium-quality and durable construction
- Pieces may pop up on their own
- Some LEDs may not light up
4. Best For Improving Sensory Skills: ETI Toys STEM Learning Building Blocks
Let your child’s imagination run wild with this building blocks game. It is one of the best STEM sets for kids to stay occupied while learning basic skills.
- Engaging 101-piece STEM learning set that promotes imagination and logical thinking
- Helps improve sensory and motor skills
- Free of BPA, lead, and phthalates
- Promotes group play and team-building skills
- Washable blocks
- Comes with a storage tub to encourage cleanup after play
- May not include as many tires
- Some pieces may not fit tightly enough
STEM toys and activities offer young children opportunities to see science and math in everyday play and help build basic understanding and interest in continued learning.
5. Best Easy-To-Use: Vatos Girls Building Blocks Set Toy
Let your child build this pretty castle with their friends or independently and be entertained for hours. The 12-in-one set includes 25 models and comes with clear step-by-step instructions that will help them set up the model easily while enhancing their STEM skills. The quality-tested castle also comes with 568 accessory pieces that parents and children can use to decorate the castle.
- Smooth edges
- No artificial or toxic smell
- Vibrant colors
- Pieces may not hold together for a long time
- Small pieces may pose a choking hazard
6. Best Easy-To-Clean: GLOUE Magnetic Blocks
The pieces in this toy set are magnetic, thus making it super fun to play with.
- Comes with 64 pieces in geometric shapes and a booklet of ideas
- Includes a storage box
- Easy-to-clean magnetic building blocks made of safe plastic
- Blocks meet the American Toy Safety Standards
- Promotes imagination and fine motor skills
- Magnets may not be as strong
- Blocks may be thin
7. Best For Fine Motor Skills: idoot Magnetic Blocks Building Set
Animals, mountains, or airplanes, your child can build just about anything with these magnetic tiles.
- 56 geometric blocks for 2D and 3D designs
- Soft-edged blocks made of non-toxic food-grade plastic
- Compatible with other magnetic tiles
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Ideal for developing your child’s imagination and fine motor skills
- Some may find the blocks flimsy
- May have an unpleasant smell when new
8. Best For Problem-Solving: Learning Resources Gears Deluxe Building Set
Is your child an engineer in the making? Gift them what is one of the best imaginative play toys you could find by the trusted brand Learning Resources.
- Features 100 pieces that are colorful
- Has an interconnecting mechanism
- Comes in a brown, recyclable box
- Comes with an activity guide
- Boosts motor skills and encourages problem-solving
- May have limited activity sets
- Small pieces may pose a choking hazard
Soak and scrub hard plastic toys in warm, soapy water. After rinsing, immerse the toys in a bleach water solution for added protection.
9. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: Kidtastic Dinosaur Toys
Take your child into the world of dinosaurs with this fun and creative set for kids.
- Includes 106 pieces
- Features dinosaurs that can be dismantled and reconstructed
- Includes a free e-coloring book
- Free of lead, BPA, and phthalates
- Encourages group play
- Can help improve fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- May not be suitable for young toddlers
- Small parts and screws may pose a choking hazard
10. Best Durable: Learning Resources Plastic Pattern Blocks
This safety-tested pattern-building blocks game is ideal for young children and pre-teens as it helps in learning geometric shapes and fractional measurements.
- Includes 205 pieces in different shapes, patterns, and colors
- Helps explore different concepts, such as lines, symmetry, and area measurements
- Premium-quality blocks
- Ideal for classroom settings
- Pieces may be small and thin
- Some pieces have sharp edges
11. Best Safety: ToyVelt Construction STEM Learning Toy
With this expert-approved mega-size 3D building toy kit, children can go wild with their imagination and build gigantic structures too.
- Includes a concrete mixer truck, a forklift truck, and many accessories
- Ideal building toy for children aged three to eight years
- Improves fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving skills
- Interactive construction set for kids with non-toxic toy parts and smooth and soft edges
- May require help from an adult to put the pieces together
- Plastic may be a bit flimsy
12. Best For Easy Storage: Creative Kids Flakes Interlocking Plastic Disc Set
With this mega-size 3D building toy kit, children can go wild with their imagination and build gigantic structures too.
- Features 600 colorful flakes
- Can be used to create 3D shapes and structures
- Comes with a box for easy storage
- Non-toxic, BPA-free pieces that are easy to clean
- Portable storage box
- High-quality mega blocks building toy
- Instructions may not be clear
- Some pieces may not be easy to connect
How To Choose The Right Building Set Toys For Kids?
Consider the following factors when selecting a building set for your child.
- Age: Consider the age limit specified before buying to ensure the building kit is challenging enough for your child’s skill level.
- Durability: Select blocks made from materials that are long-lasting, easy to clean, scratch-proof, and durable so that your child can play for hours without worrying about damage.
- Safety: Avoid choosing building sets with small parts that pose choking hazards. Ensure the material is non-toxic and safety-certified for optimal protection. They should not have sharp edges and should be appropriately sized for easy holding.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a skilled researcher and product writer adept at reviewing children’s toys and gift items. She provides details of quality toys appropriate for various ages. In this post, she has compiled a list of the best building block sets for kids after going through multiple user reviews. These sets come in different shapes, sizes, patterns, and colors to engage your children for hours while developing their motor, critical thinking, and sensory skills. Allow children to create their fantasy world with these challenging building sets without compromising on the fun factor. These toys may even help kids work their cognitive skills and prepare them for school, academics, sports, and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What skills do kids learn from building blocks?
Building blocks help improve the following skills (2):
- Social skills via teamwork
- Motor skills by enhancing hand-eye coordination
- Creativity by encouraging problem-solving abilities
- Mathematics in the form of spatial reasoning
2. What is the appropriate age for building blocks?
Most building blocks mentioned above are meant for children three years old and above. However, depending on the size of the blocks and complexity levels, the minimum age of a few sets may go up to eight years. For a precise assessment, read the product details provided by the manufacturer.
3. What are the materials used to make building sets?
Building blocks for children should be made of food-grade, BPA-free ABS plastic, and other non-toxic materials to ensure durability, safety, and easy maintenance.
4. Are building sets safe for kids?
Most building blocks are made of child-safe materials, don’t have small pieces that can pose a choking threat, and have smoothened edges and rounded corners for optimal safety.
Building activities can stimulate your child’s imagination and help them become more creative. Kids can remain entertained by building sets for hours together; hence, investing in a set for your little one is a great idea. To buy the best building sets for kids, ensure the set is versatile so your child can explore their imagination. Also, sets with pieces that are sturdy and easy to fix are a good option. Most importantly, ensure the pieces have been made with good-quality, non-toxic materials.
Infographic: What Are The Advantages Of Building Set Toys For Children?
Building sets, such as blocks, magnetic tiles, and interlocking pieces, offer boundless avenues for creativity and imagination. Beyond enabling construction and exploration, they contribute to a child’s physical and cognitive development. Explore these benefits in the following infographic.
- The Power of Play – How Fun and Games Help Children Thrive.
- 4 Essential Skills Kids Learn Playing With Blocks:
- Best Wooden Blocks For Toddlers
- Best Magnetic Toys For Kids
- Best Marble Runs For Kids
- Best Montessori Toys For Babies