Camping can be a fun adventure but it is certainly not easy if you don’t have the right equipment by your side. Among all the things that you would carry, a camping lantern is a must to enjoy your camping trip without fear or worry. A portable light source such as a camping lantern helps you enjoy a variety of activities in the dark while keeping you safe.
Finding the right lantern for your next camping expedition can be tricky, especially if you have limited knowledge about lanterns. To make your job a lot less overwhelming, we have curated a list of the 11 best camping lanterns available in the market today.
11 Best Camping Lanterns
This 4 pack camping lantern from Vont can be your perfect companion when navigating through dark trails. Designed with 30 bright LEDs, the lantern offers 360° light that can brighten up the entire campsite. The lantern has a maximum battery life of over 30 hours. It features a patented lightweight and collapsible design that allows you to increase or decrease the amount of light by expanding or collapsing the lantern. Made of aircraft-grade materials, it can withstand a 10 feet fall and even a temporary submersion underwater. The 120 lumens lantern is water-resistant and includes 3 AA batteries.
- Can be collapsed to the size of your phone
- Durable construction
- Small size
- Lightweight model
- Patented design
- Great battery life
- Not as bright as other lanterns
Equipped with IPX4 protection, the LE Camping Lanterns are an ideal choice for fishing, camping, and hiking among other activities. This means that the light is resistant to water splashes from any direction. The LED lantern offers a brightness of 1000 lumens with 360° lighting and LED power of 10 W. With a battery life of 12-25 hours, it will last you for most camping trips. It features 4 different brightness modes — Daylight White, Warm White, Full Brightness, and Flash. The lantern uses long-lasting and power-saving 1.5V 3 x D batteries, which makes it ideal for not just camping but also power outage and emergency survival kits.
- Color temperature: 3000K/6000K
- Removable cap
- Two hooks on top and bottom allow you to hang it upside down.
- You can adjust the brightness by short pressing the switch.
- Batteries are not included
The Siege Lantern from Streamlight is one of the best camping lanterns you can get. This camping lantern is equipped with multiple light modes including Night Vision, White LED, and Red LED. Thanks to the D rings on top and bottom, you can hang it in an upright or inverted position. The outer globe cover can be removed for better illumination and the IPX7 waterproof model protects it from 1 m submersion. Made using polycarbonate thermoplastic with elastomer over mold, it offers a sturdy construction. The camping lantern is further equipped with tough polycarbonate lenses and an anti-slip, rubber-molded base. The keyed battery door makes it easy to replace batteries in the dark.
- 2 meter impact resistance tested
- Battery level indicator
- Recessed power button
- The handle is ergonomically designed.
- Requires 3 D-cell batteries
Looking for the best camping lantern for your next trip? Check out SUAOKI’s LED Camping Lantern that offers dual recharge methods via solar power and USB. The foldable design of the lantern allows you to adjust its size based on your lighting needs or to fit your backpack. The LED lantern can be compressed to 1.77 inches when folded to its maximum capacity. It has a brightness of 25 lm to 65 lm. The LED lantern features 3 lighting modes — SOS Flashing, High Mode, and Low Mode. It offers a battery life of 5 hours in High Mode and 10 hours in Low Mode when operating on full charge. The built-in USB port also allows you to charge devices such as your smartphone and other gadgets, making it one of the best solar lanterns.
- Doubles up as power bank charger
- Dual recharge options
- Slightly low battery life compared to other lanterns
The COB bulbs offer 360° illumination, making it the perfect choice for your camping trips. The lantern features 4 lighting modes: 2 modes of Red Light, SOS Light, and Strobe Light. The battery-powered model can also be recharged with a USB charger. Made of ABS military material, it is durable and water-resistant. The collapsible lantern can also be used as a flashlight and is designed with handles on the sides for vertical lift. The magnetic base will stick to any metal surface to free your hands. The package includes 2 camping lanterns, 2 USB charging cables, and a user manual.
- Ergonomic design
- Auto-off when collapsed
- Free-standing model
- Rechargeable battery
- Collapsible model
- Hands-free design
- Indicator light for charging
- Might disturb your eyes if directly looked at
What we love about this LED lantern from Tough Light is its 6 different lighting modes — High, Medium, Low, SOS, Red, and Red Flashing which enables you to switch to a different mode to prolong the battery life. When running on the High Mode, it offers light at 400 lumens for a whole day from a single charge. The lantern has a run time of 75 hours (162 lm) and 200 hours (40 lm) respectively for Medium and Low Modes. The rechargeable lantern has a convenient storage space at its base to store the charging cable when not in use. Constructed with military-grade rubber and plastic, the lantern can withstand a 5 feet fall and it also offers IPX-6 water resistance.
- Battery life indicator
- Built-in hanging hook
- 85 ft beam range
- Rechargeable power source
- The charging cable can be used to charge other devices including laptops and smartphones.
- Cannot be hung in the inverted position
Next on our list of the best camper lanterns is the Wsky’s Rechargeable Camping Lantern. This lantern features 6 lighting modes including an LED flashlight mode. The rechargeable lantern can also be used as a power bank to charge your smartphones and other devices using a USB cable. The lightweight camping lantern has a 2-way hanging hook and a handle making it extremely portable and convenient. The rubber structure around the lantern makes it water-resistant, durable, and offers stability.
- 3600 mAh power bank
- 360° illumination
- Stable design
- Charging indicator light
- Durable and lightweight
- Too many light settings might be confusing for some.
Whether you are going camping, hiking, or preparing for a medical emergency, the Monster LED Lantern can help brighten any situation. The lantern offers a brightness of 800 to 1500 lumens and is strong enough to withstand rugged terrains or rainy days. The plastic and rubber molded structure offers an anti-slip base and is water-resistant. The 4 different light modes allow you to shift from High to Medium-High, Medium or Low Mode to save battery life in case of emergencies. The top handle and the built-in retractable base hanging hook offer the flexibility of hanging the lantern in an upright or inverted position.
- Ergonomic handle
- Sturdy construction
- Maximum brightness of 1500 lumens
- 4 light modes
- Offers 5 hours of Tri-Strip LED lighting, although you can change it to Low Mode for extended run time.
Looking for the best camping lantern? Take a look at this LED camping lantern from Energizer. The battery-powered lantern runs on 3 Energizer MAX D batteries or 3 Energizer MAX AA batteries based on high or low power requirements. Whether you are dealing with power outages or going for night time camping, this lantern is perfect as it features 3 different light modes. These modes are— High, Low, and Night Mode with a glow in the dark switch. It offers 500 lumens lighting in High Mode and has a battery life of up to 650 hours in Low Mode.
- 360° illumination
- Water-resistant construction
- Run time of 150 hours on High Mode
- Requires Energizer batteries to operate
This 4 pack camping lantern is constructed using 3 COB strips that offer brighter lighting by consuming less power. The battery-powered model offers 350 lumens, 360° lighting. The lightweight and portable design is constructed using military-grade and water-resistant plastic that is highly durable and can resist external shocks. Featuring folding handles and a collapsible design, the lantern can be made compact when not in use.
- Lightweight and portable
- Compact size
- Emits soft light
- No switch — the lantern turns on and off when the handle is pulled up and pushed down.
- Batteries not included
Next on our list of the best camping lanterns is the 4 pack LED Camping Lantern from Gold Armour. The COB lantern has a brightness of 500 lumens and emits bright and warm light. The LED lantern features a magnetic base and sticks on to any iron surface which makes it ideal for car repairing and other activities. This handbuilt model is made using military-grade and water-resistant plastic which makes it extremely durable. With a battery life of 12 hours, it is perfect for emergencies such as power outages.
- Collapsible model
- 12 AA batteries included
- Allows you to adjust the brightness by pushing the handle down.
- Doesn’t feature multiple light modes
Before you head off to buy your favorite lantern, let us guide you through the important features to look for in a camping lantern.
How To Choose The Right Camping Lantern?
Though there are several factors to consider when investing in a camping lantern, here we break down some of the most important factors that you should consider:
- Battery-powered/rechargeable: Both battery-powered and rechargeable ones are great while some may prefer one over the other. If you are opting for battery-powered lanterns, make sure it offers good battery life so you don’t end up frequently changing your batteries.
- Battery type: Does the package come with batteries included? If not, should you look for a specific set of batteries or will any AA or AAA batteries be sufficient? Lastly, do check out the cost of the batteries if you have to buy them separately.
- Brightness: The brightness may vary based on different models. An LED lantern with 600 lumens brightness provides enough illumination for a typical campground.
- Battery life: Your battery life requirement may vary depending on what you need to use it for and for how many hours. Hence, it is crucial to check the light duration it offers after it has been fully charged.
- Size: You don’t want something that is too big or heavy to carry in your hand or backpack. Opt for a lightweight and portable model that doesn’t take the fun away from your camping trip. Collapsible models are a great option because of their space-saving design.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can your camping lantern get hot enough to cause a fire?
Fuel-powered lanterns may lead to fires if placed near flammable items but are otherwise safe. If you are using LED lanterns, you have nothing to worry about.
Now that you are familiar with our list of the 11 best camping lanterns, picking a lantern will be nothing short of a breeze. Just be sure to glance through our buying guide and opt for the one that serves your purpose the best. Because the last thing you want on an expedition is to carry a heavy lantern that drains your energy or end up with a lantern that loses power midway of the hike. Which camping lantern did you like the most? Let us know in the comments.