If you’re a tea lover, chances are you won’t want to skip your morning tea even if you’re out camping in the wild. And with the best camping tea kettle, you can have your favorite beverage anywhere you go. Be it alongside snow-capped mountains or deep in the woods, you can now enjoy the view with a fresh cup of tea.
While spending a night in the frigid outdoors with your family, a tea kettle can be of great help. Camping kettles are helpful since they are insulated and designed to boil water in an outdoor environment. These tea kettles are portable, lightweight, and long-lasting.
In this post, let’s look at some of the best camping tea kettles to choose from
Types Of Kettles
Camping kettles can be categorized based on their material.
- Stainless steel kettles are easy to clean and durable. Their only downside is that they may be heavy to carry.
- Glass kettles are efficient but are prone to breakage if not handled properly.
- Anodized aluminum kettles are durable and sturdy. The only downside is that they may give an off-flavor during the first few usages.
Camping kettles made of stainless steel and aluminum are the most preferred as these materials offer strength and durability, best suited for camping.
Safety Precautions When Using a Camping Kettle
Even though camping kettles are harmless, their dependability on heat sources could cause injuries when not handled properly. Most camping kettles are made of metals, and handling them improperly may cause burns. Here are a few safety tips to consider while using a kettle.
- Always use a pair of heat-resistant gloves to remove the kettle from the fire.
- Do not overfill the kettle as this may lead to spillage of the hot water inside.
- Keep children away from a boiling or hot kettle.
- Do not use cheap plastic or flammable materials to handle hot kettles.
11 Best Tea Kettles
With folding handles and a holding capacity of up to 0.8L, this portable tea kettle is easy to use. The bail can be used to hang it conveniently when not in use. Constructed from stainless steel, the kettle is sturdy and suitable for outdoor conditions. Thanks to its broad dimensions, this camping kettle can also be used for minor cooking. Watch this video to get a detailed review of the product.
- A foldable design convenient for traveling
- Anti-corrosive surface for durability
- Comes with a lid
- Precise spout for seamless pouring
- Kettle size may be small
- Handles may get hot during usage
Fire-Maple’s Antarcti stainless steel camping kettle is the perfect companion for a cozy outdoor campfire trip. The sturdy kettle is made of food-grade stainless steel, and you can use it as a handy vessel to make tea or coffee or boil water in emergency situations. Moreover, this one-liter camping kettle comes with a large rotating handle and a secure lid for fast boiling.
- Durable and sturdy
- Safe to use for campfires or camp stoves
- High heat retention capacity
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a storage mesh bag
- May not be rust-resistant
- May not be easy to pour from it
This one-quart tea kettle made of durable 18-8 stainless steel is ideal for backpackers who love camping and hiking. It features a short spout and foldable handle, making it compact, easy to pack, and travel-friendly. The versatile kettle can be used outdoors as well as indoors and weighs just 0.58lb, making it portable.
- Spill-free design
- Ensure quick heating
- Fits a 110g fuel cartridge
- Even heat distribution
- May be smaller than expected
- Lid may not close tightly
Stansport’s enamel tea kettle is a cute and stylish blue-colored kettle with a capacity of three quarts. Its kiln-hardened enamel makes it chip-proof and scratch-resistant, and the triple enamel coating makes it durable and suitable for outdoor purposes.
- Large capacity
- Spring handle for easy hanging
- Quick heating
- Kettle may leak at the joints
- Handle design may make it inconvenient to pour
This aluminum kettle by Overmont features an insulated handle to protect your hands when hot. The kettle’s pointed spout adds to the safety quotient by letting steam escape and preventing hot water from splashing, lowering the risk of scalding. This kettle’s fast-heating mechanism quickly heats water and helps you prepare tea in a jiffy, making it ideal for camping purposes.
- Food-grade anodized aluminum
- Thickened anti-slip bottom
- Lightweight and travel-friendly
- Comes with a carry bag
- Lid might slide off often
- May be smaller than expected
The Teabloom Kyoto 2-in-1 tea kettle and steeper has an elegant borosilicate glass body to suit everyone’s needs. It enables you to heat water and steep tea with just one vessel. Moreover, it has a large stainless steel infuser, giving the tea ample room to expand, unfurl, and steep to your desired taste.
- Heat-proof glass
- Removable tea filter
- Dishwasher-safe material
- Available in multiple sizes
- Lid may not be slide-proof
- May not maintain the liquids temperature for long
OXO’s classic brewing kettle is made of high-grade brushed stainless steel and has a large lid opening, making it easy to fill and clean the kettle. It also features an angled and rotating handle, heat-resistant silicone touch points, and a one-touch spout cap for a drip-free pouring experience. Further, the 1.7-quart kettle has an in-built whistle that alerts the user when the water is ready.
- Easy to use
- Rust-resistant material
- Rotating handle for easy pouring
- Heat-safe silicone pads on handle and spout
- Lid might be difficult to remove
- May not be stain-resistant
The MSR Pika ultralight aluminum teapot is the ideal camping kettle for backpackers and campers who can’t imagine living without their tea or coffee. It is made of hard-anodized aluminum teapot and features a precise pour spout, a secure lid, and a detachable handle to make brewing convenient. The kettle can also be used to make one-pot meals when on the go.
- Compact design
- Easy to clean
- Lid stays intact when pouring
- Can be nested for easy storage
- Might be smaller than expected
- May not be chip-resistant
With a large holding capacity of up to 2.2L, this camping kettle is suited for large groups. The kettle’s insulated plastic handle is heat-resistant and protects your fingers from scalding. The hard-anodized aluminum tea kettle is compatible with most stovetops and spreads heat evenly within five minutes due to its wide base.
- Corrosion, rust-resistant, and durable material
- Tight and secured lid to prevent spillage
- The anti-slip bottom offers stability on most bases
- Pointed spout offers drip-free pouring of tea, water, or coffee
- The material might get dented
The one-of-its-kind whistling tea kettle from Chantal is made of magnetic carbon steel and has a 1.8-quart capacity and unique harmonica whistle in two tones. Moreover, the teapot has a wide and flat base for rapid heating, a looped wired handle for a superior grip, and an air-pocket attachment to keep the heat from transferring from the kettle to the body.
- Fade-resistant material
- Resistant to hard water build-up
- Compatible with all kinds of cooktops
- Available in multiple colors
- May not be very stable
- Outer layer may not be wear-resistant
The Ovalware coffee kettle is an excellent tool to make the perfect cup of coffee or tea on cold mornings in the camp. A simple design and an ergonomic handle can make this camping kettle the perfect outdoor camping gear. The kettle’s tight gooseneck combined with a firm handle provides you ultimate comfort while pouring the beverage. While it is designed to be a drip coffee kettle, it can also be used as a tea kettle by campers.
- Durable stainless steel body and portable design
- Precise neck and spout to avoid spills during the pouring
- An inexpensive model that is compatible with both gas and electric stoves
- Easy to clean seamless bottom
- The handle may get hot during usage
Benefits Of Using A Camping Kettle
A camping kettle gives you the comfort of homemade tea or soups, even when you’re in the middle of nowhere. It offers several benefits, including the ones listed here.
- Due to their light and compact design, these kettles are travel-friendly
- You can use these kettles as water storage containers
- Few travel tea kettles have an in-built sieve which doesn’t require you to carry additional gear for brewing tea
- You can use these kettles at home as well
- Few tea kettles can be used for cooking, thus removing the need for carrying multiple utensils
How To Choose The Right Camping Kettles?
Keep these points in mind when choosing a camping kettle.
- Weight: A camping kettle must be lightweight and easy on your backpack. Maximum weight of 15lbs if preferable.
- Material: Most camping kettles are made of stainless steel or hard-anodized aluminum. These materials are rust, corrosion, and heat-resistant and offer high durability, making them suitable for outdoor use.
- Handle: Heat-resistant handles to protect your hands from scalding. Look for this feature when you shop for a camping kettle.
Heather Johnson (Food Hussy), a food blogger and winner of Guy’s Grocery Games in August 2022, suggests, “Always add a pot holder or oven glove into your camping kit to protect your hands when handling the kettle.”
- Size: The size of a camping kettle largely depends on your usage. Kettles with a wide base and high holding capacity can also be used for cooking noodles or soups.
- Heat source: Consider the heat source of your camping stove before choosing a kettle. Always refer to the manufacturer’s manual to know the kettle’s compatibility with different kinds of stoves.
Why Trust MomJunction?
If you plan to take a tea kettle to your next camping trip, Sakshi John, our home and kitchen product reviewer, is here to help you make the right decision. She has rounded up the best camping tea kettles by referring to multiple sources to ensure the products are durable, high-quality, and safe. The list also includes a buying guide to help you know what factors you should consider while purchasing.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What material is the safest to build a tea kettle?
Stainless steel, hard-anodized aluminum, and borosilicate glass are the safest materials to build a kettle. These materials are rust and corrosion-resistant, which makes them durable.
2. Is rust in a kettle bad for our health?
Rust is harmful to health in any utensil (1). Improper cleaning of kettles may result in the formation of rust. You must check the manufacturer’s instructions for the cleaning of the kettle to prevent rust formation. If your kettle gets rusty often, it may be the time for you to replace it.
3. Is it wrong to re-boil water in a tea kettle?
It is always preferable to use a fresh batch of water in kettles. The chemicals in the water get concentrated on re-boiling. These unwanted chemicals may change the flavor of water, making it unsafe for consumption.
4. What is the difference between a tea kettle and a teapot?
The main difference between a tea kettle and a teapot is that a tea kettle is used to boil water for the tea, while a teapot is used for steeping the tea leaves in boiled water away from the stove.
5. Can I boil a kettle inside a tent?
Yes, you can boil a kettle inside a tent. Just make sure that you keep the stove away from the tent’s edge and any kind of clothing, and that the tent’s flap is open so that all the heat produced due to boiling the kettle can easily escape from the tent.
6. How do I use a camping kettle?
Camping kettles are very easy to use. Here are a few steps for using it:
- Light the stove and place the camping kettle over it.
- Wait some time for the water to boil.
- After the whistle starts blowing, remove the kettle from the stove using heat-resistant gloves.
7. How long should a camping kettle take to boil?
Typically, a camping kettle takes about three to five minutes to boil. However, it depends on the material of the camping kettle. Steel camping kettles are a very good thermal conductor and can heat faster than others.
No matter where you are, a camping tea kettle can conveniently help you enjoy a steaming cup of tea. These kettles are portable and designed for easy functioning outdoors. However, ensure to use heat-resistant gloves while handling the kettle to stay safe. When choosing the right kettle, check its weight, durability, design, material, and more for easy and effective usage. You can also choose collapsible designs to save space. We hope our list of the best camping tea kettles can help you understand the available options and features.
Infographic: How To Choose The Right Camping Tea Kettle?
Camping tea kettles allow outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy a hot cup of tea, coffee, or warm baths in the wilderness. Selecting the kettle while considering certain factors can help you pick the most suitable one for your needs and ensure optimum functionality. Refer to the infographic below to learn how to purchase the perfect camping tea kettle.