Unpleasant odors and harmful pollutants like smoke, dust, and pungent chemical smells that enter your car can make it difficult to breathe when you’re on a drive. One way to ensure you have clean air when you’re in the car is to install a time-tested air purifier for the car.
Car air purifiers eliminate pollutants, are easy to carry, and keep the air inside the vehicle fresh and breathable. Designed to be compact and portable, car air purifiers come in various designs to be compatible with a variety of vehicle models. The best car purifiers are easy to install and available in a variety of fragrances to choose from.
Here, we list some of the best-selling car air purifiers that you can choose from.
Here, we list some of the best car air purifiers that you can choose from.
Types Of Car Air Purifiers
Car air purifiers are generally of the following types.
- Ionizing: Ionizing air purifiers release negatively charged ions into the air. These ions cling to positively charged airborne particles, making them too heavy to float in the air. These devices do not require filters, so no additional operating costs in the future.
- HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter: The HEPA air purifier system has one or more synthetic filters that absorb the dust, allergens, and pollutants in the air. After circulating through the system, it will exhaust clean air. When using a HEPA air purifier system, you will have to replace the filter occasionally.
- Charcoal-based filters: Although not as popular as the first two, charcoal-based purifiers are becoming popular. Charcoal is a natural absorbent of pollutants due to its porous nature and can be produced sustainably.
13 Best Car Air Purifiers
FRiEQ’s ultra-compact ionized air purifier is an excellent device to meet your clean air needs. It works on a reliable ionization process and releases up to 4.8 million ions per cubic centimeter, ensuring rapid and effective purification of cars of all sizes. More importantly, the device is portable and does not require any installation. You can plug this car ionizer purifier directly into the charging socket to remove pollutants, cigarette smoke, bacteria, mold, and other airborne contaminants. If you want to know more about the benefits of this odor-elimination system, check out a tester’s experience in this quick review on YouTube.
- Attractive design with color-LED lights
- Removes odors and smoke within seconds
- No-fuss, simple plug-in operation
- Generates safe amount of ozone
- Supports air quality improvement
- Works only with 12V sockets and not 24V sockets
- LED light can’t be turned off
- No adjustable modes to choose from
Bamboo charcoal is a natural absorbent of particles due to its porous sponge-like structure. Purggo utilizes this ingeniously to provide a sustainable, environmentally friendly, natural, chemical-free product. Bamboo and hemp charcoal can offer a long-lasting purification effect without frequent filter replacement.
It allows the pollutants to pass through the porous charcoal, absorbing them to keep the car pollutant-free. This process is a boon for people who are allergic to the chemicals used in ordinary car fragrances. Here’s an honest review showcasing a tester’s experience with this product.
- Long-lasting, for up to 365 days
- Organic and natural high-efficiency filter material
- Filter material can be recycled as fertilizer
- Sling cord to easily hang from the seat headrests
- Slower compared to other devices
- May not be very effective at removing odor
Made with powerful HESA and HEPA air filters, the GoPure car air purifier by the trusted brand effectively removes about 99% of airborne bacteria in your car through a three-stage filtration process. It also removes toxic gasses such as exhaust fumes, volatile organic compounds, and more. This auto air purifier features a lightweight and compact design, enabling you to install it anywhere — armrest, under the seat, or even the headrest.
- Filters air in less than ten minutes
- Features Select Filter Plus, a cutting-edge technology
- Easy to operate
- Long adapter cord for easy movement
- May not have filter replacement information
- Might diffuse less amount of air
FRiEQ Car Ionizer Air Purifier
Best For All-Size Cars
Purggo Car Air Freshener
Philips GoPure Car Air Purifier
|Weight||0.09 Pounds||-||1.81 pounds|
|Dimensions||1.3"D x 3.8"W x 1.3"H||-||7"D x 7"W x 2.7"H|
Queenty air purifier uses a powerful three-stage filtration system that can treat various pollutants, including smoke, dander, pollen, or other contaminants. The pre-filter is covered with HEPA filter and activated carbon filter, effectively removing particles as small as 0.4 microns.
It can be easily connected to the car dashboard and is equipped with non-slip rubber pads to increase grip. Once connected to a power outlet, the LED panel on the device will light up at the beginning of the purification process. Add drops of scented oil to make the device work like a fragrance diffuser and enjoy a clean and good-smelling car. Here’s a video featuring a detailed review of the product.
- Dual fans for smooth airflow
- Low noise operation at 55dB
- Durable stainless steel base
- Attractive looking with quality build
- Can’t be placed too far from the power socket
- No wind flow setting option
The sleek Calody Air Purifier has a LED screen on the top which shows real-time data, battery capacity, and also the fan mode for an interactive user experience. This purifier has a compact and portable design, allowing you to keep it in bedrooms, living rooms, office spaces, and your car. Powered with negative ion technology, the safety-tested purifier releases about 15 million negative ions per second that help remove almost 99.97% of pollutants like smoke, allergens, and dust.
- Eco-friendly, UVC disinfection system
- Large expansion area
- Low noise level
- Might have vague instructions
- May have low power
You can use this portable dual-filter air purifier anywhere in your car, home, or office. The HEPA filter has been through rigorous testing and is equipped with an activated carbon filter that can absorb up to 99% of pollutants. In addition to car power sockets, it can also be powered by power bricks and laptops.
Let the purifier run for about 30 minutes and enjoy the fresh air circulation in the car, free of dust and other pollutants. The elegantly designed and powerful air purifier can be operated with the push of a button, which is highly convenient.
- Modern, elegant, and attractive looking
- Near silent operation at 30dB
- Air quality sensor with indicating lights
- Gesture sensors for no-touch operation
- Gesture control sometimes result in an accidental change of settings
- Not very effective for removing smoke
This portable air purifier from the trusted brand Munchkin filters 99.7% of micropollutants and purifies seven cubic feet of air per minute. The purifier can eliminate smoke, allergens, and mold using a True HEPA filter for thorough filtration. The device has four air speeds that operate in ultra-quiet mode, making it ideal for even nursery rooms. It has a built-in rechargeable battery that lasts upto 10 hours. You can charge the device with the help of a USB charging cable. Furthermore, the gas sensors provided in the purifier help to adjust the filtration speed according to the surrounding air quality.
- Ensures noiseless operation
- Supports airborne allergen removal
- Adapts to surroundings
- Four-stage air purification system
- Can control baby’s environment
- Some may find it small
8. Best Mini: Pro Breeze Mini Air Purifier
The Pro Breeze Mini Air Purifier comes with a multi-layered HEPA filter that can be used to filter up to 99.7% of particles, making it a perfect gadget for those prone to allergies or hayfever. The light emitted by this air purifier makes it perfect for children’s bedrooms. It is powered by USB and AC power and offers a noiseless operation to keep your room calm and soothing. Further, it can be used at home or office.
- Can be used as an LED nightlight
- Portable design
- Suitable for office use
- May not be suitable for large spaces
Having been through rigorous testing and quality checks, the IQAir’s Atem is an award-winning car air purifier with outstanding performance and filters particles down to 0.003 microns. The 270° centrifugal fan sucks the cabin air through a three-stage particulate and gaseous filter to minimize harmful air pollutants. You can use the smart feature, the Atem app, to control the device, adjust the fan speed, and alter other settings. The noise-free operation helps the passengers, especially kids and babies, fall asleep.
- 270-degree centrifugal fan wrap with triple stage filtering
- Includes a mounting accessory for firm hold wherever fitted
- Child-lock to avoid accidental change of settings
- Low noise fan operation even at high speed
- Premium price point
- Bulky build
- Control through the app is not always smooth
A compact and effective vehicle air filter system can help remove aerosols and other particles effectively. Equipped with a HEPA filter and ultraviolet sterilization system, this powerful air purifier can eliminate allergens, including bacteria and viruses, without using any ozone or mercury. The sponge at the bottom allows you to add scented oils to disperse the aroma. This travel-friendly purifier can double as a portable charger, allowing you to charge phones through the USB port.
- Eliminates toxic pollutants like formaldehyde, benzene, and others
- Adjustable fan speed
- Promotes a healthy car environment
- UV-C technology for further filtration even after the HEPA filtration
- Aroma diffuser sponge included
- Filter needs replacing every two to three months
- Requires to stay connected for use
Powered with an ultraviolet disinfection system, the Calody Portable Air Purifier is said to achieve an air sterilization rate of 99.999% to protect from harmful particles and other allergens. This personal air purifier also has a three-in-one H13 HEPA filter with ultra-fine and activated carbon filter, which comes together to clean 99.97% of dust, smoke, and other particles in the air. You can also add your favorite essential oil to the sponge at the bottom for a refreshing effect.
- Slow-flashing breathing light
- Creates less noise
- Helps reduce indoor air pollution
- Extra USB port for charging
- Easy to operate
- Includes a user manual
- Might not be long-lasting
- Might be slightly slow
Clean Light Air is a compact air purifier covering 160 sq ft for effective filtration. You can install the device in a cup holder and remove dust and contaminants, including smoke, odors, and pet dander, and purify the car cabin air. Moisten the inner sponge with essential oils, and the air purifier circulates the fragrance particles into the air. You need to connect the air purifier to a power source to operate, and it has a USB port that can be used to charge the phone.
- Includes aroma diffuser sponge
- Promotes clean air circulation
- Two-years manufacturer warranty
- Works quietly without creating much noise
- Filters need replacing every few months
- Needs to stay connected to the power source for operating
Showcasing an elegant and sturdy design, the Queenty Car Air Purifier remains steady in your car even at high speed. Featuring H13 HEPA True Activated Carbon Filter, this safety-tested air purifier has a three-stage filtration system that helps remove 99% of pollutants in the air. This effective car purifier also releases a large amount of negative ions every second, which purifies the air effectively. Owing to its small size, this automotive air cleaner is portable and starts working as soon as it is connected to a power source.
- Low noise operation
- Easy to install
- Compatible with the car charger
- Replacement filter is available
- Cord might be small in size
- Smell might be mild
How To Choose The Right Car Air Purifier?
When purchasing an air purifier for your car, consider the following essential parameters.
- Coverage area: Check for how much area the purifier can cover – it should adequately clean your car’s interior space or even a small room.
- Portability: The power supply mode of the air purifier determines its portability. Air purifiers powered by the car power socket have to be placed in a designated area. In contrast, air purifiers with rechargeable batteries are truly portable and can be placed anywhere in the car.
- Ergonomics: Many car air purifiers include USB ports for charging phones as they occupy the power socket. Moreover, a good design will ensure that the purifier can be placed in the car without occupying too much space or obstructing movement.
- Aroma: Air purifiers usually do not include any fragrance. However, if you prefer a pleasant aroma, check if the device consists of a fragrance sponge. You can soak the sponge with the essential oil of your choice for a pleasing fragrance in the space.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is an experienced product writer and reviewer who prioritizes his readers’ needs. He writes extensively about automobile accessories and has compiled this list of the best car air purifiers after analyzing consumer reviews and comparing the features of different products. Wedetso has provided information on several types of automobile air purifiers and the features and benefits of each product. Furthermore, he has also included a buying guide to help you select the right product.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do car air purifiers last?
The longevity of a car purifier depends on how much you use it. However, car air purifiers fitted with HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters tend to last longer than others.
2. How long should I leave my air purifier running?
You should leave your air purifier on whenever you’re in your car so that you always get fresh and purified air.
3. Are car air purifiers safe?
Car air purifiers are safe to use in cars, and they can help you keep a check on the air quality inside your car while ensuring there is no dust or fine particles in the air.
The interiors of a car tend to absorb odors such as cigarette smoke, food, and sweat when the air-conditioner is left on, thus making the overall driving experience unpleasant. To ensure your car smells fresh at all times and doesn’t distract your attention from the road, opt for a purifier with a soothing fragrance and wide coverage area. We recommend the Urban Life Essentials Air Purifier with gesture sensors and an air quality detector and the Calody Air Purifier, which helps eliminate 99.97% of contaminants. The portable FRiEQ Car Ionizer Air Purifier with color-LED lights is another great option. A good car air purifier can protect you and your loved ones from the harmful effects of pollution while enhancing the quality of your trips.
Infographic: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Car Air Purifier?
A car is an enclosed space, and the air you breathe must be clean. Even the best car air conditioners may leave some traces of harmful airborne particles. This is where car air purifiers come into the picture. Read the infographic to learn how car air purifiers can be helpful car accessories.
- Can Air Purifiers Improve Your Lung and Heart Health?
- Best Car Air Fresheners
- Best Closet Dehumidifiers
- Best Wireless Car Charger Mounts
- Best Odor Eliminators For Your Rooms