Unpleasant odors and harmful pollutants like smoke, dust, and pungent chemical smells that enter your car can make it difficult to breathe when you’re on a drive. One way to ensure you have clean air when you’re in the car is to install an air purifier for the car.
Car air purifiers eliminate pollutants, are easy to carry, and keep the air inside the vehicle fresh and breathable. Designed to be compact and portable, car air purifiers come in various designs to be compatible with a variety of vehicle models. They are easy to install and available in a variety of fragrances to choose from.
Here, we list some of the best car air purifiers that you can choose from.
Our Top Picks
Types Of Car Air Purifiers
Car air purifiers are generally of the following types.
- Ionizing: Ionizing air purifiers release negatively charged ions into the air. These ions cling to positively charged airborne particles, making them too heavy to float in the air. These devices do not require filters, so no additional operating costs in the future.
- HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter: The HEPA air purifier system has one or more synthetic filters that absorb the dust, allergens, and pollutants in the air. After circulating through the system, it will exhaust clean air. When using a HEPA air purifier system, you will have to replace the filter occasionally.
- Charcoal-based filters: Although not as popular as the first two, charcoal-based purifiers are becoming popular. Charcoal is a natural absorbent of pollutants due to its porous nature and can be produced sustainably.
13 Best Car Air Purifiers
FRiEQ’s ultra-compact ionized air purifier is an excellent device to meet your clean air needs. It works on a reliable ionization process and releases up to 4.8 million ions per cubic centimeter, ensuring rapid and effective purification of cars of all sizes. More importantly, the device is portable and does not require any installation. You can plug it directly into the charging socket to remove pollutants, cigarette smoke, bacteria, mold, and other airborne contaminants. If you want to know more about the benefits of this product, check out this quick review on YouTube.
- Attractive design with color-LED lights
- Removes odors and smoke within seconds
- No-fuss, simple plug-in operation
- Generates safe amount of ozone
- Works only with 12V sockets and not 24V sockets
- LED light can’t be turned off
- No adjustable modes to choose from
Bamboo charcoal is a natural absorbent of particles due to its porous sponge-like structure. Purggo utilizes this ingeniously to provide a sustainable, environmentally friendly, natural, chemical-free product. Bamboo and hemp charcoal can offer a long-lasting purification effect without frequent filter replacement.
It allows the pollutants to pass through the porous charcoal, absorbing them to keep the car pollutant-free. This process is a boon for people who are allergic to the chemicals used in ordinary car fragrances. Here’s an honest review of the product.
- Long-lasting, for up to 365 days
- Organic and natural filter material
- Filter material can be recycled as fertilizer
- Sling cord to easily hang from the seat headrests
- Slower compared to other devices
- May not be very effective at removing odor
The powerful air purifier can quickly and effectively remove impurities in the air through the ionization process. In addition to eliminating common contaminants, such as mold, spores, pollen, and smoke, it can effectively keep out bacteria, viruses, and other germs.
The device has a durable build with chrome plating and can be easily connected to a 12V socket for a power supply. It also includes two USB sockets to charge the phone without interrupting the purification.
- Multi-needlepoint ionizing
- Safe ozone concentration, less than 0.05ppm
- Compact and lightweight
- Doesn’t work with 24V sockets
- Build quality is poor
Queenty air purifier uses a powerful three-stage filtration system that can treat various pollutants, including smoke, dander, pollen, or other contaminants. The pre-filter is covered with HEPA filter and activated carbon filter, effectively removing particles as small as 0.4 microns.
It can be easily connected to the car dashboard and is equipped with non-slip rubber pads to increase grip. Once connected to a power outlet, the LED panel on the device will light up at the beginning of the purification process. Add drops of scented oil to make the device work like a fragrance diffuser and enjoy a clean and good-smelling car. Here’s a video featuring a detailed review of the product.
- Dual fans for smooth airflow
- Low noise operation at 55dB
- Durable stainless steel base
- Attractive looking with quality build
- Can’t be placed too far from the power socket
- No wind flow setting option
Pure ionization purifier lights up your car interior with stylish blue LED while deodorizing the air, removing pollutants and odors. Its multi-needle point ionization can generate a large number of ions, thereby speeding up air purification.
The device also has a USB charging port for added convenience. The device runs silently and can be powered directly from a 12v power socket. This compact air purifier does not require any filter replacement, so there will be no additional costs in the future.
- Powerful deodorizer producing up to 5.6 million negative ions
- Crystal dome design with decorative LED lighting
- Low noise operation
- Action is relatively slow and can take hours
- Build quality lacks durability
You can use this portable dual-filter air purifier anywhere in your car, home, or office. The HEPA filter is equipped with an activated carbon filter that can absorb up to 99% of pollutants. In addition to car power sockets, it can also be powered by power bricks and laptops.
Let the purifier run for about 30 minutes and enjoy the fresh air in the car-free of dust and other pollutants. The elegantly designed purifier can be operated with the push of a button, which is highly convenient.
- Modern, elegant, and attractive looking
- Near silent operation at 30dB
- Air quality detector with indicating lights
- Gesture sensors for no-touch operation
- Gesture control sometimes result in an accidental change of settings
- Not very effective for removing smoke
This portable air purifier filters 99.7% of micropollutants and purifies seven cubic feet of air per minute. The purifier can eliminate smoke, allergens, and mold using a True HEPA filter for thorough filtration. The device has four air speeds that operate in ultra-quiet mode, making it ideal for even nursery rooms. It has a built-in rechargeable battery that lasts upto 10 hours. You can charge the device with the help of a USB charging cable. Furthermore, the gas sensors provided in the purifier help to adjust the filtration speed according to the surrounding air quality.
- Ensures noiseless operation
- Adapts to surroundings
- Four-stage filtration system
- Can control baby’s environment
- Some may find it small
8. Best Mini: Pro Breeze Mini Air Purifier
The Pro Breeze Mini Air Purifier comes with a multi-layered HEPA filter that can be used to filter up to 99.7% of particles, making it a perfect gadget for those prone to allergies or hayfever. The light emitted by this air purifier makes it perfect for children’s bedrooms. It is powered by USB and AC power and offers a noiseless operation to keep your room calm and soothing. Further, it can be used at home or office.
- Can be used as an LED nightlight
- Suitable for office use
- May not be suitable for large spaces
IQAir’s Atem is an award-winning car air purifier with outstanding performance and filters particles down to 0.003 microns. The 270° centrifugal fan sucks the cabin air through a three-stage particulate and gaseous filter to minimize harmful air pollutants. You can use the Atem app to control the device, adjust the fan speed, and other settings. The noise-free operation helps the
passengers, especially kids and babies, fall asleep.
- 270-degree centrifugal fan wrap with triple stage filtering
- Includes a mounting accessory for firm hold wherever fitted
- Child-lock to avoid accidental change of settings
- Low noise fan operation even at high speed
- Premium price point
- Bulky build
- Control through the app is not always smooth
A compact and effective air filter system can remove aerosols and other particles. Equipped with a HEPA filter and ultraviolet sterilization system, it can eliminate allergens, including bacteria and viruses, without using any ozone or mercury. The sponge at the bottom allows you to add scented oils to disperse the aroma. This air purifier can double as a portable charger, allowing you to charge phones through the USB port.
- Eliminates toxic pollutants like formaldehyde, benzene, and others
- Adjustable fan speed
- UV-C technology for further filtration even after the HEPA filtration
- Aroma diffuser sponge included
- Filter needs replacing every two to three months
- Requires to stay connected for use
The three-stage filtration system, consisting of a pre-filter, HEPA filter, an activated carbon layer, enables Piroir to capture up to 99.9% of airborne particles as small as 0.4 microns. Besides cars, you can use the purifierin small to medium-sized rooms. With wind speed and mode adjustability, select the filtration intensity as per your need.
The operation is almost noise-free. Even at the highest speed, the noise level will not exceed 48dB. It is powered by a rechargeable battery and need not be connected to a power cord.
- Circulates air about five times per hour in small to medium rooms
- Zero ozone emission
- Includes charcoal as a filter component
- Dual wave UV light sterilizer
- More than 16 hours of battery life when fully charged
- Filter needs regular clean-up and replacements
Clean Light Air is a compact air purifier covering 160 sq ft for effective filtration. You can install the device in a cup holder and remove dust and contaminants, including smoke, odors, and pet dander. Moisten the inner sponge with essential oils, and the air purifier circulates the fragrance particles into the air. You need to connect the air purifier to a power source to operate, and it has a USB port that can be used to charge the phone.
- Includes aroma diffuser sponge
- Two-years manufacturer warranty
- Works quietly without creating much noise
- Filters need replacing every few months
- Needs to stay connected to the power source for operating
Clean Air Guard offers a filtration system that doesn’t require frequent filter changes common in many purifiers. The air purifier utilizes negatively charged ions and ozone, and the ozone level it produces is within the recommended level and is at a safe level.
It can effectively eliminate 98% of airborne viruses and other pollutants while improving air quality, making the air fresh and clean. This device is suitable for home and car internal use. Besides, due to the rechargeable battery, it is compact, maintenance-free, and portable.
- Lightweight and portable, easy to carry around
- Effective against cigarette smoke
- Maintenance-free and doesn’t require any filter replacement
- Battery life is not very long
- Slow operation
How To Choose The Right Car Air Purifier?
When purchasing an air purifier for your car, consider the following essential parameters.
- Coverage area: Check for how much area the purifier can cover – it should adequately clean your car’s interior space or even a small room.
- Portability: The power supply mode of the air purifier determines its portability. Air purifiers powered by the car power socket have to be placed in a designated area. In contrast, air purifiers with rechargeable batteries are truly portable and can be placed anywhere in the car.
- Ergonomics: Many car air purifiers include USB ports for charging phones as they occupy the power socket. Moreover, a good design will ensure that the purifier can be placed in the car without occupying too much space or obstructing movement.
- Aroma: Air purifiers usually do not include any fragrance. However, if you prefer a pleasant aroma, check if the device consists of a fragrance sponge. You can soak the sponge with the essential oil of your choice for a pleasing fragrance in the space.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is an experienced product writer who prioritizes his readers’ needs. He writes extensively about automobile accessories and has compiled this list of the best car air purifiers after analyzing consumer reviews and comparing the features of different products. Wedetso has provided information on several types of automobile air purifiers and the features and benefits of each product. Furthermore, he has also included a buying guide to help you select the right product.
The interiors of a car tend to absorb odors such as cigarette smoke, food, and sweat when the air-conditioner is left on, thus making the overall driving experience unpleasant. To make sure your car smells fresh at all times and doesn’t distract your attention from the road, opt for a purifier with a soothing fragrance and one that offers a wide coverage area and is highly portable. A good car air purifier can protect you and your loved ones from the harmful effects of pollution while enhancing the quality of your trips.
- Best Car Air Fresheners
- Best Closet Dehumidifiers
- Best Wireless Car Charger Mounts
- Best Odor Eliminators For Your Rooms
View Profile ›