When you take your little one out in a car, the main concern regarding the travel would be safety. Seat boosters are considered the best car seat for 6-year-old that will accommodate your child safely by elevating and adjusting the seat. They also help adjust protection belts (such as seat belts). We have compiled a list that you can consider before buying and picking one from varying seat boosters.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Car Seats For 6-Year-Olds
1. Best Removable Back: Evenflo Big Kid Highback 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat
The car seat includes a removable back support option, a ready-to-use vehicle belt, and an extra boost for comfortable seating in the vehicle. In addition, it has a dual cup holder to keep snacks and drinks from spilling all over the place. The product is well-known for its comfortable padding system, making it appropriate for long journeys. This seat booster is also easy to clean and machine-washable. Besides, the lightweight seat is simple to transport. To make an informed decision before buying, you can check out this video.
- Removable back for additional ease of use
- Quality elastic cup
- Narrow seating provides extra comfort
- Includes belt clip to ensure safety
- Padding could be thin
- Lacks latch connectors
2. Best Durable: Safety 1ˢᵗ Grow and Go All-in-One Convertible Car Seat
The three-in-one car seat booster can be used in a rear-facing position for newborns. It has two grow-with-baby pillows that provide extra comfort. The harness secures the child and the seat in rear and forward positions, providing complete protection. The height adjustment on this car seat is simple. It also includes a headrest cushion in all sizes. You can use the belt-positioning booster feature if your child has outgrown it and is ready for a car seat belt. Click here to check out this YouTuber’s unbiased review.
- Can be installed with the vehicle’s belt
- Study and durable
- Offers adequate padding
- Comes with a good harness system for extra safety
- Lacks headrest
3. Best Machine-Washable: Diono Radian 3R, 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
The convertible car seat is designed to fit almost any space and has a steel core for maximum safety. It has rear and forward-facing options, making it suitable for newborns to children aged six years. It is mechanically engineered with high-strength steel and a reinforced steel core. This FAA-approved and aircraft-certified product provides maximum protection and comfort. In addition, this car seat is designed to take up as little space as possible. Here’s a personal review video to help you get a better understanding of the product.
- Easy to carry
- Adjustable cushion system
- Cover may not be durable
- Installation could be tricky
4. Best Lightweight: Mifold Hifold Fit-and-Fold Highback Booster Seat
The booster seat has up to 243 individual settings and is equipped with unique multi-fit technology. The hi-fold technique aids in quick folding into a compact and convenient size. Its multi-fold system folds down to a convenient and compact size for storage and travel. This car seat is not only lightweight but also comes with convenient straps. This seat can is adjustable in four different areas: the seat, the body, the head height, and the width.
- Ultra-lightweight expanded polyethylene foam for impact resistance
- Portable and compact design
- Up to six impact-protection zones
- High level of adjustability
- May lack padding
- Seating area could be smaller than usual
5. Best Side Protection: UPPAbaby ALTA Kid Booster Seat
The product is designed to provide maximum comfort and advanced side protection. It is available with up to seven-position active support and a significant weight capacity. In addition, it has a proper headrest, advanced side protection, and belt support for all positions, ensuring complete protection for your child while providing maximum comfort.
This model’s latch secures the seat firmly for even longer rides. The seat booster’s cushions are soft and comfortable. Furthermore, cleaning the cup and the seat is simple.
- Simple and easy installation
- Sleek and stylish design
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Lap seat belt positioner cannot be removed
6. Best For Easy Installation: BubbleBum Inflatable Booster Car Seat
Bubblebum inflatable travel car booster has received safety certification from Federal Motor Safety Standard 213 (FMVSS of USA) and comes with a seat belt positioning clip for proper seat belt fit. The material used in this product is long-lasting and provides extra security. The memory foam adds comfort and structural integrity, while the three-car seat positions reduce the likelihood of slouching.
The seat booster is narrow, compact, and light, making it simple to transport. The innovative carrying design is portable and convenient. In addition, it includes a quick blow-up technique.
- Easy-fit belt for all children
- Comfortable seats
- Quick and easy installment procedure
- Compact and portable to fit in a purse
- May not come with a latch system
7. Best Two-Layer Protection: Chicco KidFit 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat
Chicco booster car seat has duo-guard protection and up to ten adjustable positions to ensure your child’s safety. The height adjustment features allow you to adjust not only the waist but also the neck area. In addition, it includes a high-quality latch connector to keep the seat in place. The seat has double padding for maximum comfort. The two-position backrest mimics seat positioning and offers a good grip.
- Machine-washable for easy cleaning
- Sturdy design
- Two layers of protection
- Contoured seat with double-foam padding
- Could pose issues with the seat belt adjustment
8. Best For Long Rides: KneeGuard Kids Car Seat
The car seat can be adjusted in multiple ways to provide comfortable rides. In addition, the seat booster comes equipped with latch technology to ensure that the seat is positioned correctly. If your car does not support a latch, a clip-on system is available in the seat.
- Ideal for long rides
- Comfortable seating saves children from backache
- Ergonomically designed footrest to prevent painful knees
- May not be easy to install
9. Best Adjustable: KidsEmbrace High-Back Booster Car Seat
The car seat is highly adjustable, thanks to the high back booster. You can effortlessly adjust the headrest to fit all positions. In addition, the product includes an adjustable shoulder belt to ensure the child’s safety. Further, this booster car seat is simple to clean, and the covers are machine washable.
- Comfortable for long rides
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- East installment
- Includes a cup holder
- Padding might be slippery
10. Best Leak-Proof Valve: Hiccapop UberBoost Inflatable Booster Car Seat
This car seat takes less time to adjust because it is made with UberBoost technology, which inflames the seat in the blink of an eye. In addition, it has a double-thick vinyl seat, a non-slip silicone seat, and seat belt loops. The backless booster car seat has a comfortable and contoured design, making it a safe and convenient option for children.
- Leak-proof valve
- No-skid silicone bottom
- Three-point seat belt harness
- Cover fabric with a heavy-duty zipper
- May not be appropriate for long rides
11. Best Stability: Clek Olli Backless Booster Car Seat
This booster car seat provides stability and ensures your child’s safety. In addition, it has a consistent belt fit system that sits comfortably on the body. Further, this car seat includes additional padding for added comfort and a carrying strap and quick-release system, making it easy to transport.
- Offers additional stability
- Consistent belt fit
- Thick layer of padding
- Quick-release strap
- Slightly expensive
How To Choose The Right Booster Car Seats?
Before choosing the right booster car seat, consider the following factors.
- Comfort: This is a critical factor for children. If they are comfortable, the trip will become their most cherished memory. Always double-check the padding and seating system to ensure compatibility. It is critical to inspect the shape of shell seat boosters.
- Latch system: Select a seat booster with a latch system. With this system, the seat’s positioning remains rigid and does not slip. However, some clip-on options can also meet the requirement.
- Price: When making a purchase, it is crucial to consider whether the product is a good value for money. Products with numerous features may be worthless if they are of no use to you. Therefore, understand your needs and then narrow down your option.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah reviews children’s products, electronics, automobiles, and more. He follows an intensive research process to bring the most relevant list of products to the readers. In this article, he has created a list of the best car seats for 6-year-olds with pros and cons to help you choose the right one. The list also includes a buying guide to help you understand the various factors for a better purchasing experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What kind of car seat should a six-year-old be in?
Your six-year-old child should ride in a forward-facing seat with a harness. However, if the child outgrows the forward-facing seat, switch to a booster seat with a harness and tether (1).
2. Is six years old too old for a car seat?
Children should ride in car seats until they reach 12 years of age. Your child should even outgrow a booster seat to stop using a car seat (2).
3. Does my six-year-old need a 5-point harness?
Yes, some children need a five-point harness in a forward-facing seat when they haven’t still outgrown the manufacturer’s height and weight. It is recommended to use a five-point harness until the child has outgrown the harness (3).
Investing in the best car seats for 6-year-olds will help ensure your child is seated safely during car rides. These car seats allow you to adjust the harness so that your child is comfortable and safe. The best seats feature latch systems and are easy to put on and stay secure. Furthermore, they are well-padded to ensure your child does not experience discomfort. Your rides will be more convenient and enjoyable when you get the right car seat for your child.
- Car Seat Recommendations for Children
- Car Seats: Information for Families
- Harness or Booster: When to Make the Switch!
- Best Budget Car Seats
- Best Car Seats For A 2-Year-Old
- Best Infant Car Seat For Small Cars
- Best Car Seats For 4-Year-Olds
- Best Car Seats For Preemies
- Best Car Seats For Three-Year-Olds
View Profile ›