A car seat is one of the most critical pieces of equipment you buy as a new parent since it makes car rides safe and secure for the child. Convertible car seats or booster seats are ideal for your four-year-old because they can be adjusted to meet the needs of your growing child. The best car seats provide adequate neck support, side protection, leg protection, and harnessing.
These car seats are made of energy-absorbing materials and provide side-impact protection. Along with the child’s safety, it allows parents to travel stress-free. We have compiled a list of the best car seats to help you pick the one that suits your child.
Top Products From Our List
Types Of Car Seats
Below are the most common types of car seats available in the market.
- Convertible car seats: Convertible car seats are adaptable to a growing child. It includes rear-facing, forward-facing, and a booster seat.
- Combination car seat: All-in-one car seats or combination car seats are forward-facing. When your child outgrows the harness, they convert to a booster seat.
- Booster seats: These seats are suitable for children weighing more than 40 pounds. They come in two varieties, high back boosters or backless boosters. High back boosters have head and neck support, which is helpful for cars with low seatbacks. Backless boosters are ideal for cars that already have headrests and high back seats.
9 Best Car Seats For Four-Years-Old
- This 2-In-1 combination booster car seat fitting children from 22-110 pounds converts from a 5-point harnessed to belt-positioning car seat allowing for extended use for your child
- The chase LX combination booster car seat helps protect harnessed children from 22-40 pounds (Height: 28 - 50 Inches) and belt-positioned children from 40-110 pounds (Height: 43.3 - 57 Inches); Age: At least four years of age
- This lightweight combination booster car seat comes equipped for latch systems allowing for easy installation and transfer between multiple vehicles. Do not use abrasive cleaners or solvents.
- Designed and tested for both side impact and structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2 times the Federal Crash Test Standards and the harness can be wiped clean with mild soap and water, allow harness to air dry
- Integrated cup holders keep drinks close without increasing the width of the car seat, allowing multiple car seats to fit your back seat. Harness booster age at least two years of age. Fit tip is child's ears are below top of child restraint headrest. Seat belt booster age at least four years of age
This is a premium car seat with superior safety technology for children’s safe travel. Evenflo’s two-in-one combination car seat converts from a five-point harness to a belt-positioning car seat and can accommodate growing children. It is designed to protect children weighing 22 to 40 pounds in the harness position and 40 to 110 pounds in the belt position. Your child can easily access the drinks and snacks from the integrated cup holders attached to the sides. The car seat comes with a latch system for easy installation.
- Easy harness adjustment
- Accurate belt-positing paths
- Removable head pillow
- Machine-washable pad
- Side impact tested
- No instruction manual
Evenflo’s booster car seat has two forward-facing seat modes. When the child reaches the required age, the seat can be converted to a no-back model. This car seat, designed for older children, can hold a child weighing up to 110 pounds. The shoulder belt keeps your child in a safe position while the seat is well-padded for your child’s comfort. The integrated cup holders make it simple to access drinks and snacks.
- Easy to get the child in and out
- Plush-seat padding
- Easy to adjust
- Easy-to-wash covers
- No latching option
- May have an uncomfortable armrest
If you are looking for a compact car seat ideal for carpooling, taxi rides, or family outings, BubbleBum’s inflatable backless booster car seat is the right choice. This car seat is constructed with high-quality memory foam for cushioned comfort and suitable for children weighing 40-100 pounds. The slim design offers a perfect fit for the middle seat. The rigid side clips secure the lap belt and do not irritate the bony portion of the child’s lap.
- Portable seat
- Easy to install
- Comfortable to sit
- Meets US safety
- Could be difficult to inflate
Chicco’s Booster KidFit toddler car seat features ten height-adjustable positions for growing children. It has high-grade latch connectors and a one-pull tightener, making it simple to install and remove. The side wings are made of energy-absorbing EPS material to protect your child from any impact. You can convert the two-in-one booster from high back to backless, and it can accommodate children weighing 40-110 pounds.
- Ten different positions for growing children
- Removable seat pads and armrests
- Easy to clean
- Integrated cup holders
- Breathable fabric
- The belt could be hard to pull
The Diono Radian convertible car seat is a three-in-one rear- and forward-facing car seat that can accommodate children up to ten years. The high-back booster seat mode is designed for children weighing up to 120 pounds. The car seat’s one-of-a-kind design is comfortable for the child. It has steel-reinforced cup holders for the long-distance pleasure of having snacks and drinks.
- High back booster
- Rear-facing for longer
- Reinforced steel core
- Easy to clean
- Easy-to-use buckles
- Could be difficult to install
Chicco’s MyFit booster car seat converts from a five-point harness to a belt-positioning booster. It has a steel-reinforced frame and a padded duo-guard for side impact protection. These convertible car seats are ideal for a growing child because they have four reclining positions and nine adjustable headrests. The belt-tightening system with premium latch connectors makes installation simple.
- Wide range of adjustment
- High-impact protection
- Triple foam padding
- Integrated cup holders
- Heavy in weight
This is the most adjustable booster seat with 243 individual settings designed to support children weighing 40-100 pounds. This Mifold compact seat folds down to a convenient size for easy storage and transportation. It has four-point adjustments for the seat, body, head width, and height to provide additional protection for your growing child. It is made of high-quality foam for maximum impact resistance.
- Easily adjustable
- Keeps child secure
- Safety tested
- Easy to install
- May not be sturdy
Kneeguard’s travel car seat footrest is specifically designed for the child’s added sitting comfort. The footrest has a height control bar that allows for an adjustable height position to accommodate a toddler booster seat. The footrest is simple to attach to the latch behind the seat or with hooks that slip under the car seat.
- Compatible with all car and booster seats
- Medically approved
- Easy installation
- Crash tested
- Foldable footrest
- Occupies a lot of space
This two-in-one booster car seat easily converts into a backless seat. The reinforced aluminum sides, ergonomic design, and energy-absorbing EPS foam keep your child safe. You can adjust the headrest to 11 different positions for your child’s convenience and comfort. It can support children weighing 40-120 pounds.
- Expandable booster seat
- Side cup-holders
• The seatbelt may not retract fully
How To Choose The Right Car Seat For A Four-Year-Old?
Here are a few crucial points to consider when shopping for a car seat for a four-year-old.
- Weight and height: Consider the child’s weight and height rather than age because every child has a different size requirement. A booster seat is ideal for children under eight and weighing 80-100 pounds.
- Convertible: Purchase a car seat that can accommodate a growing child. Convertible car seats are the best because they can adapt to a child’s rapid growth.
- Measure car rear seats: Buy a car seat based on the size of your car’s second row of seats. If you have a compact car, ensure there is enough room for other passengers after installing the seat.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are booster seats safe for four-year-olds?
A harnessed car seat is preferable to a booster seat for a four-year-old. Booster seats may be appropriate if the child meets the height and weight requirements, but a booster seat could still be a less safe option.
2. Can a four-year-old use a backless booster seat?
A backless booster seat may not be a safe choice because of a four-year-old’s low body weight. It may cause an untoward movement during impact, increasing the risk of injuries.
Choosing the right car seat for a four-year-old should include considering features that will allow your child to use it for an extended period. The innovative features of car seats and ease of installation provide a safe ride for your child. Choose from our list of the best car seats for your four-year-old and have a joyful family ride.