As a parent of a toddler, one of the most important things you should do is buy an appropriate car seat. So, if you have made up your mind for safe and secure car rides for your little one, it’s time to get the best car seat for a 4-year-old.
You need adjustable car seats such as booster seats or convertible car seats for a growing child. A good cart seat provides proper neck support and leg and side protection.
Keep scrolling as we bring you a list of car seats that you’d love to get for your four-year-old child. These car seats provide side-impact protection and are made of energy-absorbing materials to let you and the little one travel stress-free.
Top Products From Our List
Types Of Car Seats
Below are the most common types of car seats available in the market.
- Convertible car seats: Convertible car seats are adaptable to a growing child. It includes rear-facing, forward-facing, and a booster seat.
- Combination car seat: All-in-one car seats or combination car seats are forward-facing. When your child outgrows the harness, they convert to a booster seat.
- Booster seats: These seats are suitable for children weighing more than 40 pounds. They come in two varieties, high back boosters or backless boosters. High back boosters have head and neck support, which is helpful for cars with low seatbacks. Backless boosters are ideal for cars that already have headrests and high back seats.
9 Best Car Seats For Four-Years-Old
- This 2-In-1 combination booster car seat fitting children from 22-110 pounds converts from a 5-point harnessed to belt-positioning car seat allowing for extended use for your child
- The chase LX combination booster car seat helps protect harnessed children from 22-40 pounds (Height: 28 - 50 Inches) and belt-positioned children from 40-110 pounds (Height: 43.3 - 57 Inches); Age: At least four years of age
- This lightweight combination booster car seat comes equipped for latch systems allowing for easy installation and transfer between multiple vehicles. Do not use abrasive cleaners or solvents.
- Designed and tested for both side impact and structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2 times the Federal Crash Test Standards and the harness can be wiped clean with mild soap and water, allow harness to air dry
- Integrated cup holders keep drinks close without increasing the width of the car seat, allowing multiple car seats to fit your back seat. Harness booster age at least two years of age. Fit tip is child's ears are below top of child restraint headrest. Seat belt booster age at least four years of age
This is a premium car seat with superior safety technology for children’s safe travel. Evenflo’s two-in-one combination car seat converts from a five-point harness to a belt-positioning car seat and can accommodate growing children. It is designed to protect children weighing 22 to 40 pounds in the harness position and 40 to 110 pounds in the belt position. Your child can easily access the drinks and snacks from the integrated cup holders attached to the sides. The car seat comes with a latch system for easy installation.
- Easy harness adjustment
- Accurate belt-positing paths
- Removable head pillow
- Machine-washable pad
- Side impact tested
- No instruction manual
- The big kid accommodates a child up to 110 lb, 40 -57 in., and at least 4 years of age.
- The included belt clip helps safely position the vehicle's belt on your child's shoulder.
- Six height positions offer a better fit as they grow, and can be easily adjusted with one hand.
Evenflo’s booster car seat has two forward-facing seat modes. When the child reaches the required age, the seat can be converted to a no-back model. This car seat, designed for older children, can hold a child weighing up to 110 pounds. The shoulder belt keeps your child in a safe position while the seat is well-padded for your child’s comfort. The integrated cup holders make it simple to access drinks and snacks.
- Easy to get the child in and out
- Plush-seat padding
- Easy to adjust
- Easy-to-wash covers
- No latching option
- May have an uncomfortable armrest
- TAKE ANYWHERE CAR BOOSTER - The inflatable car booster seat for children aged 4–11yrs and weighing 40–100lbs
- SIMPLE TO SANITISE - use a non-bleach antibacterial spray and air dry. Easy to carry, so your child will never have to use another child’s dirty car seat
- ULTRA PORTABLE - The USA's lightest backless booster seat. Perfect for carpooling. Fold-away design can be easily carried with children wherever they go, so they will be safe and secure on every journey
- TWO-STEP PROTECTION - safety in a crash and exclusive to your child so no sharing dirty car seats. Sanitise quickly and easily using a non-bleach antibacterial spray and air dry
- COMFORT AND SAFETY - Contains more FOAM TECHNOLOGY than air. Comfort and convenience without compromising on safety. Can be folded down to fit easily in a purse, backpack or cabin bag
If you are looking for a compact car seat ideal for carpooling, taxi rides, or family outings, BubbleBum’s inflatable backless booster car seat is the right choice. This car seat is constructed with high-quality memory foam for cushioned comfort and suitable for children weighing 40-100 pounds. The slim design offers a perfect fit for the middle seat. The rigid side clips secure the lap belt and do not irritate the bony portion of the child’s lap.
- Portable seat
- Easy to install
- Comfortable to sit
- Meets US safety
- Could be difficult to inflate
- DuoZone combined head and shoulder protection with 10 positions for growing children
- SuperCinch LATCH attachment and one-pull tightener helps keep KidFit in place and kid-ready for easy in/out
- ErgoBoost double foam padding and contoured seat design provide support in all the right places. Single Recline Seat Adjustment
- 2 space-saving cup holders fold away when not in use and are removable for easy cleaning
- Removable, machine-washable seat pad and armrest covers
Chicco’s Booster KidFit toddler car seat features ten height-adjustable positions for growing children. It has high-grade latch connectors and a one-pull tightener, making it simple to install and remove. The side wings are made of energy-absorbing EPS material to protect your child from any impact. You can convert the two-in-one booster from high back to backless, and it can accommodate children weighing 40-110 pounds.
- Ten different positions for growing children
- Removable seat pads and armrests
- Easy to clean
- Integrated cup holders
- Breathable fabric
- The belt could be hard to pull
- REAR-FACING FOR LONGER: This slimfit convertible car seat is designed and engineered to keep your child rear facing even longer up to 50 lb/ 22. 7 kg, approx. 4 years old
- HIGH BACK BOOSTER: Keep your child safe and comfortable with the high back booster seat mode now up to 120 lb, 54 kg. The high back booster adds an extra layer of protection and comfort for any child transitioning into booster mode
- 10 YEARS ONE CAR SEAT: With 4 ways to travel safely from birth to booster, the Radian 3R adapts as your child grows to offer a custom adjustable fit from birth to 120 lbs
- REINFORCED STEEL CORE: Mechanically engineered, reinforced steel core, made from automotive grade high density plastic and steel to create the ultimate protection for your child
- THE ORIGINAL 3 ACROSS: Built with our famous radian slim fit convertible design, to fit 3 across in most vehicles without compromising child or passenger comfort. Feel safe having your children secure in the backseat
The Diono Radian convertible car seat is a three-in-one rear- and forward-facing car seat that can accommodate children up to ten years. The high-back booster seat mode is designed for children weighing up to 120 pounds. The car seat’s one-of-a-kind design is comfortable for the child. It has steel-reinforced cup holders for the long-distance pleasure of having snacks and drinks.
- High back booster
- Rear-facing for longer
- Reinforced steel core
- Easy to clean
- Easy-to-use buckles
- Could be difficult to install
- Converts from 5-point harness to belt-positioning booster
- Duo Guard side-impact protection for head and torso, and steel-reinforced frame
- 4-position recline, 9-position headrest, and deep Ergo Boost seat with padding/contour
- Premium LATCH connectors and Lock Sure belt-tightening system for easy installation
- 2 dishwasher-safe Cup Folders with push-button removal
Chicco’s MyFit booster car seat converts from a five-point harness to a belt-positioning booster. It has a steel-reinforced frame and a padded duo-guard for side impact protection. These convertible car seats are ideal for a growing child because they have four reclining positions and nine adjustable headrests. The belt-tightening system with premium latch connectors makes installation simple.
- Wide range of adjustment
- High-impact protection
- Triple foam padding
- Integrated cup holders
- Heavy in weight
- ADJUSTABLE BOOSTER – hifold booster seat is the world’s most adjustable booster, with unique “multi-fit” technology that can be adjusted to 243 individual settings. This car seat is designed for kids aged 4 and up, 40-100 lbs., and 40 to 59 inches tall.
- PORTABLE BOOSTER FOR TRAVEL AND MORE –The world’s most portable booster. The “multi-fold” system quickly folds down to a compact and convenient size for storage, travel, carpooling and more. It is lightweight and includes convenient carry strap.
- KEEPS CHILD SECURE – hifold kids booster seat not only grows with your child, but ensures optimal seatbelt fit and comfort while they grow. It can be adjusted in 4 areas: the seat, body, head width and height. Ultra-light weight EPE (Expanded Polyethylene) foam for superior impact resistance.
- SAFETY TESTED – This portable car seat meets or exceeds NHTSA standard FMVSS 213 and is regulated for global use, so it can be taken and used everywhere in the world except Australia and Taiwan.
- CONVENIENT AND NARROW BOOSTER SEAT – This travel booster seat is easy to use and has won many awards, including the 2019 Creative Child Product of the Year Award. Use this car booster seat for older kids, grandparents cars or for fitting three children in a row.
This is the most adjustable booster seat with 243 individual settings designed to support children weighing 40-100 pounds. This Mifold compact seat folds down to a convenient size for easy storage and transportation. It has four-point adjustments for the seat, body, head width, and height to provide additional protection for your growing child. It is made of high-quality foam for maximum impact resistance.
- Easily adjustable
- Keeps child secure
- Safety tested
- Easy to install
- May not be sturdy
- Package Content & Age: The package includes one Car Seat Footrest that's compatible with all car and booster seats. The Footrest should be used as soon as kids are walking and are sitting in a forward-facing car seat up until their legs reach the floor of the vehicle.
- Installation: The Footrest easily attaches to the latch behind the seat. For cars that don't have the latching system it also comes with hooks that slip under the seat. The footrest can also be easily folded down for easy access in and out of the car.
- Medically Approved/Recommended: Dr. Lee Am a prestigious orthopedic surgeon has highly recommended the Footrest as the number one travel accessory that every parent should have. The Footrest prevents kids from misbehaving by increasing their comfort as well as providing long term leg protection for their knees.
- Adjustability & Ease of use: The Footrest has an easy height and angle adjustability to fit different heights and different comfort levels.
- Crash Tested & Safety: The Kneeguard Kids successfully passed intense crash and safety testing including standards set forth by FMVSV 213 so there is no compromise on children's safety when using the Footrest. The Kneeguard Kid's footrest has successfully been patented in the US.
Kneeguard’s travel car seat footrest is specifically designed for the child’s added sitting comfort. The footrest has a height control bar that allows for an adjustable height position to accommodate a toddler booster seat. The footrest is simple to attach to the latch behind the seat or with hooks that slip under the car seat.
- Compatible with all car and booster seats
- Medically approved
- Easy installation
- Crash tested
- Foldable footrest
- Occupies a lot of space
- THE ORIGINAL EXPANDABLE BOOSTER: Provides 69% increase in occupancy space as your child grows
- 2 SEATS IN 1: Easily converts into a backless booster seat, with a wide contoured seat base and two retractable cup holders
- SUPERIOR SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: Engineered with extra deep aluminum reinforced sides for enhanced side impact protection for head, shoulders and torso
- 11 POSITION HEADREST: One hand adjustment provides up to 6.5” in height to grow with your child
- SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing only 15.5 lbs. monterey XT is super light allowing you to move the seat between vehicles with ease
This two-in-one booster car seat easily converts into a backless seat. The reinforced aluminum sides, ergonomic design, and energy-absorbing EPS foam keep your child safe. You can adjust the headrest to 11 different positions for your child’s convenience and comfort. It can support children weighing 40-120 pounds.
- Expandable booster seat
- Side cup-holders
• The seatbelt may not retract fully
How To Choose The Right Car Seat For A Four-Year-Old?
Here are a few crucial points to consider when shopping for a car seat for a four-year-old.
- Weight and height: Consider the child’s weight and height rather than age because every child has a different size requirement. A booster seat is ideal for children under eight and weighing 80-100 pounds.
- Convertible: Purchase a car seat that can accommodate a growing child. Convertible car seats are the best because they can adapt to a child’s rapid growth.
- Measure car rear seats: Buy a car seat based on the size of your car’s second row of seats. If you have a compact car, ensure there is enough room for other passengers after installing the seat.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are booster seats safe for four-year-olds?
A harnessed car seat is preferable to a booster seat for a four-year-old. Booster seats may be appropriate if the child meets the height and weight requirements, but a booster seat could still be a less safe option.
2. Can a four-year-old use a backless booster seat?
A backless booster seat may not be a safe choice because of a four-year-old’s low body weight. It may cause an untoward movement during impact, increasing the risk of injuries.
Choosing the right car seat for a four-year-old should include considering features that will allow your child to use it for an extended period. The innovative features of car seats and ease of installation provide a safe ride for your child. Choose from our list of the best car seats for your four-year-old and have a joyful family ride.