For avid travelers, campers, or families with children, the space in the boot may not be sufficient for the luggage sometimes. However, if you do not wish to compromise on the space in the car, then opting for one of the best cargo boxes from our list could help.
Cargo carriers are additional storage compartments that can be mounted on a car. They are available in various shapes and sizes and have tools to fixate them on the car tops. These increase the storage space and are ideal for long car journeys.
There are a few features you should be aware of before purchasing them. To know them, read some of our selected products for you.
Top Products From Our List
10 Best Cargo Boxes
Made of durable and UV-resistant ABS plastic, the cargo box from SportRack is spacious and resistant to impact strikes. It has a rear lid opening that makes accessing cargo easy and safe. The box has a lock to secure your belongings and fits easily on various car racks, including round, square, and factory racks.
- Aerodynamic and waterproof
- Safe and extra-large
- Durable, easy to use, and secure
- Easy to clean with water and soap
- Can hold up to 100lb weight
- Doesn’t require tools for installation
- May take time to install
The roof-mounted cargo carrier accommodates five to seven pairs of skis or three to five snowboards, has a dual-side opening for easy and quick access from the car’s sides, and clicks when the roof box is mounted correctly. It has a pre-installed quick-mount feature and an automatic locking lid that makes it more secure.
- Optimal space efficiency and snug vehicle fit
- Full truck access
- Slide-lock system and key system compatible
- Additional space of 22cu ft
- May not be suitable for small hatchbacks
The Thule cargo box has a diamond-textured aeroskin surface and an aerodynamic shape to cut through the wind easily. Made of durable material, this cargo box has dual-side openings to operate from either side of the car. It has a quick-grip mounting system and secure lock to keep the contents of the box safe. You can carry skis or snowboards easily in this box.
- Dual opening for easy loading and unloading
- Oversized secure lock
- Easy to grasp even with gloves on
- Suitable for Xporter, round bars, AeroBlade, and other racks
- Installation could take time
The rooftop cargo box from Thule has sturdy U-volts and reinforcement plates for secure mounting on the car. It has a heavy-duty design to protect the gear and a passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading. This cargo box fits well on Thule rack systems, round bars, and most factory racks.
- Space-saving design
- Durable and versatile
- Ideal for small loads like camping gear and golf clubs
- Includes two locks to keep the contents of the box secure
- Assembly may not be easy
Made of high-density material, the Sportrack cargo box offers increased stability. It has a U-bolt mounting hardware kit for easy installation and passenger-side opening that allows convenient access. You can keep the box’s contents secure when traveling, with a lock that comes with the package.
- Made of high-density UV-resistant material
- Durable and safe
- Easy to attach and remove
- Fits Sportrack rack systems, square bars, round bars, and most factory racks
- May not be suitable to carry heavy loads
The cargo box from Yakima has a dual-sided opening for easy access. It has internal lid stiffeners that offer durability and a sleek and aerodynamic design that reduces wind noise. You can carry heavy hauling gear for two campers or snowboards and skis up to a length of 180cm conveniently. It can be an ideal choice for Yakima round, aerodynamic, and square bars.
- Suitable for cars, wagons, and SUVs
- Includes SKS locks
- SuperLatch security for secure lid
- Available in five sizes
- Lock mechanism may have issues
Best suited for road trips, the sleek aerodynamic design from Goplus reduces drag and noise. It has metal lid stiffeners for added safety at the bottom of the roof box and a dual-sided opening that makes accessing the contents easy from either side of the car. The box is suitable for square, round, and other factory bars.
- Made of high-quality, sturdy ABS material
- Waterproof and withstands different weather conditions
- Suitable for cars, vans, and SUVs
- Easy to install and remove
- Super latch security to keep lid intact
- May not be suitable for large vehicles
The Yakima cargo box has improved hatch clearance and is suitable for cars, hatchbacks, and SUVs. It can store the belongings of up to two campers effortlessly. It has an aerodynamic design that reduces drag. The quick-dial mounting hardware that comes in the package makes it easy to mount.
- Easy to install and use
- Super latch security to keep lid intact
- Compatible with Yakima round, square, and factory crossbars
- Universal roof rack fit
- SKS locks included
- Integrated push-button for security
- May not be suitable for all cars
Easy to assemble and aerodynamically designed cargo box from Car Top reduces noise. Made of high-density polyethylene, it has a UV inhibitor that protects against cracking and fading. It has a dual-side entry that makes loading and unloading easy from either side of the car.
- Ideal for shorter roof lines and smaller cars
- More storage space compared to other cargo boxes
- Weather-tight seal for added security
- Can be mounted on a roof rack
- May require crossbars and racks to fit the box
The Inno cargo box has an inner mat to protect your gear and minimize the noise. The memory mount system enables quick installation and has a matte black finish for a rugged look. The hinges of the cargo box are made of high-quality material for added durability.
- Dual-side opening for easy access from either side
- Secure locks to keep the contents intact
- Easy to install and clean
- Stiff and solid top
- Assembly may not be easy
How To Choose The Right Cargo Boxes?
Consider these features while buying a cargo box for your car.
- Size: Most cargo boxes easily fit on the car’s roof rack system, which contains crossbars that bridge the width of the roof. If you own a hatchback, the cargo box should not interfere with the opening of the door. The ideal cargo box size depends on the type of car you own.
- Assembly and mounting: While some people like to leave the cargo box on the car roof, others prefer using it only when needed. Most people fit the cargo box when they’re traveling long distances and remove it later. Choose a box that has easy-to-grip knobs for easy and quick assembly. With the right kind of roof bars, the cargo box’s mounting and dismantling become effortless too. Also, look fora model that fits most rack bars.
- Storage: What you intend to carry in the cargo box determines the kind of box you should choose. For heavier items, consider a sturdy and rigid box. Also, pay attention to the amount of space it will take when stored in the garage. If storage is an issue, consider using a cargo bag instead of a cargo box.
- Security: Cargo boxes are more secure than cargo bags. Most cargo boxes have a secure lock that keeps your contents secure. The automatic locks also help contain spillage while driving on the road. Also, cargo boxes have an option of mat lining inside that keeps the box’s contents intact and prevents damage.
- Material: Some of the best cargo boxes made of premium material can be a good choice for luxury cars. They look better and create little noise when compared to the other models.
Having a cargo box on top of your car gives you a great deal of additional space. It allows you to carry those extra set of vacation clothes, ski equipment, or other things. Purchase a cargo box that suits your needs and lasts for years.