Whether you’re out on a trail for a walk or visiting the nearby supermarket, nothing comes close to the best cargo shorts in terms of practicality. The several pockets make it easy to handle all your belongings like keys, sunglasses, wallets, etc., when you forget to carry a bag. Cargo shorts have big extra pockets sewn on the sides, providing you space to put your things. Moreover, they are baggy, comfortable, and overall relaxing to wear.
In this post, we are putting together the best cargo shorts available online based on expert fashion reviews. They are comfortable to wear for lounging, gardening, and participating outdoors. Go through their features and benefits to pick the right one that best meets your requirements.
13 Best Cargo Shorts
1. Best Relaxed Fit: Wrangler Authentics Men’s Premium Twill Cargo Shorts
This pair of classic cargo shorts gives you the comfort and functionality you need during your outdoor adventures. These summer cargo shorts are made of 100% cotton twill for long-term wear and good breathability and include four cargo flap pockets, two rear flap pockets, and two slash pockets for your phone, wallet, and other essentials.
These stylish men’s shorts rest at the natural waistline and have a relaxed seat and thigh to keep you comfortable all day. In addition, they have a 10-inch inseam for durability. The machine-washable shorts measure 11.77×11.57×1.85in and weigh 13.12oz. You may check this video review for quality assurance.
- Breathable fabric
- Relaxed fit
- Heavy-duty zipper fly and button closure
- Pockets may be small
2. Best Knee-Length: Unionbay Men’s Cordova Belted Messenger Cargo Shorts
Unionbay’s men’s Cordova belted messenger cargo shorts have hook-and-loop flaps and a zipper fly with a button for a secure fit. Further, the pair of shorts comes with a matching belt and adjustable cuff tabs. These user-tested trendy cargo shorts have a 15-inch inseam and a long length that reaches the bottom of the knee. They come in three colors, weigh 15.84oz, and measure 5x5x0.7in. In addition, these shorts have double side pockets and drawstring ties at the hem, making them both comfy and structured for the right fit.
- Made of 100% cotton
- Oversized pockets
- Relaxed fitting
- Pockets with hook-and-loop flaps
- Color may fade
3. Best Lightweight: Amazon Essentials Men’s Classic-Fit Cargo Shorts
The Amazon Basics men’s classic cargo shorts make great everyday casual wear and are extremely comfortable. They have a ten-inch inseam and are designed to fall just below the knee. These shorts have a button closure and are made of soft, lightweight, and breathable twill cotton. They’re roomy across the hip and thigh, with a straight leg and a waistband that sits comfortably at the waist. The shorts measure 10.4×2.6×1.3in and weigh 14.39oz.This video review, showcasing a tester’s experience, will help you learn more about these comfortable cargo shorts.
- Breathable and durable
- High-quality twill cotton
- Available in different colors
- Buttons may be difficult to open and close
Best Relaxed Fit
|Wrangler Authentics Men's Premium Twill Cargo Shorts||Unionbay Men's Cordova Belted Messenger Cargo Shorts||Amazon Essentials Men's Classic-Fit Cargo Shorts|
|Package Dimensions || 12.8 x 10.91 x 2.24 inches; 13.05 Ounces||-|| 12.99 x 10.98 x 1.42 inches; 14.46 Ounces|
|Dimensions ||-|| 5 x 5 x 0.7 inches; 15.84 Ounces||-|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Wrinkle-Resistant: Dickies Men’s 13-Inch Loose Fit Cargo Shorts
With a 13-inch inseam and a loose cut that hits right at the knee, these pairs of shorts offer you a relaxed and comfortable feel. These fashionable cargo shorts are composed of polyester and sturdy pre-washed cotton for added comfort and feature slant hand pockets, welt back pockets, and bellows cargo pockets for storing mobile phones, tools, keys, wallets, and other essentials.
Further, the poly/cotton twill material resists wrinkles and stains throughout the day. This pair of shorts has a casual waistline with a hook and eye fastening and distinctive tunnel belt loops for added belt support. It measures 13x8x1in and weighs 15.36oz.
- Excellent inseam length
- Deep pockets
- Thick belt loops
- Wrinkle-resistant fabric
- May not be true to size
5. Best For Taller Individuals: Lee Men’s Dungarees New Belted Wyoming Cargo Shorts
These best-selling classic shorts are great for walking and backyard activities since they provide plenty of room for effortless mobility. Taller individuals will like the 11.5-inch inseam on these shorts. These durable cargo shorts are made of robust twill cotton for long-lasting comfort and wear. They offer a laid-back vibe and plenty of storage for when you’re on the go. You’ll find nine pockets on the sides, f
- Many color options
- Multiple pockets
- Reinforced pocket flaps secured with buttons and Velcro
- May shrink after washing
6. Best Extra-Roomy: Levi’s Men’s Carrier Cargo Shorts
Levi’s men’s cargo shorts are both fashionable and practical. They look great with a T-shirt, sneakers, and Levi’s trucker jacket. You can wear them on weekends or when doing adventurous activities. These comfy wear with quality craftsmanship are of 100% cotton and feature a zipper fly with button closure and have a waistband that sits at the waist and a regular seat and thigh. The outdoor men’s shorts measure 5x5x0.7in and weigh 1lb.
- Extra roomy
- Sit at the waist
- Has a zipper closure
- May be slightly baggy around the knee
7. Best Vintage-Wash Look: Unionbay Men’s Survivor Belted Cargo Short
Made of heavyweight cotton twill, the Unionbay men’s cargo shorts are built to last. They are equipped with multiple large pockets to accommodate all your utilities and essentials easily. It comes with a button closure and a D-ring belt, suitable for adjusting the waist. The trusted vintage-style shorts have a low waist and an 11-inch seam for a relaxed fit, ensuring extended comfort and style.
- Fade-resistant color
- Vintage washed for a trendy look
- Available in multiple sizes and colors
- May not be sufficiently stretchable
- May be bulky
8. Best Skin-Friendly: Czzstance Men’s Cargo Shorts
Whether it’s for a party, travel, leisure sports, lounging exercises, or workouts, this pair of cotton shorts will keep you comfortable and cool. It has several pockets, including two slanted front pockets, four cargo flap pockets, and two loose-fitting back flap pockets. With a nine-inch inseam, it’s long enough for various casual athletic activities. These tried-and-tested casual men’s shorts also has an elastic waistband with an adjustable strap to keep you comfy throughout the day. It weighs 10.41oz and measures 15.87×13.03×1.69in.
- Stretchy waistline
- Soft, comfortable material
- Adjustable drawstring
- Loose and relaxed fit
- Breathable and skin-friendly
- Pockets may be thin
9. Best With Multiple Pockets: Ecko Cargo Shorts for Men–Twill Men’s Cargo Shorts
The Ecko Cargo Shorts have a rugged appeal and are roomy and comfortable. The durable twill construction has a washed look for a worn-in feel, and the belt gives you a casual look. The reinforced pocket flaps are fastened with buttons or velcro. With a stretchable waist and gusset for comfort and easy mobility, these straightforward shorts are suitable for daily wear. They come in various colors and sizes. These stylish cargo shorts are practical and feature eight pockets, including two back pockets, four thigh pockets, and two sliding slant pockets.
- Button closure
- Breathable material
- Color may fade after repeated washing
- Pockets might be slightly shallow
10. Best Machine-Washable: HUK Next Level Performance Fishing Shorts
The HUK Men’s Next Level performance fishing shorts come complete with a cargo pocket, a zippered back pocket, and a perforated back yoke to make movement easier. Liked by many reviewers, the shorts are made from a blend of cotton, spandex, and polyester and have a short length to provide all-day comfort to the wearer. Moreover, these versatile men’s shorts have an adjustable waistband to ensure a perfect fit.
- Breathable and quick-drying material
- Has a a button closure
- Available in multiple sizes and colors
- Mesh pocket might be flimsy
- Material may not be fade-resistant
11. Best With UPF50 Sun Protection: Willit Women’s Hiking Cargo Shorts
If you’re looking for cargo shorts for golfing, hiking, jogging, or walking, Willit Women’s shorts are perfect. They are robust, elastic, and lightweight, providing comfort, good coverage, and a full range of motion. In addition, these shorts offer UPF 50 sun protection to keep you safe from the sun’s harmful rays. They are made of 92% nylon and 8% spandex, weigh 6.38oz, and measure 10.39×9.17×1.02in.
The shorts have a front button, a zipper fly, two hand pockets, and secure-zip cargo pockets for storing your on-the-go essentials, making them one of the best functional cargo shorts. Further, they boast a four-way stretch and a water-repellent finish that repels light rain and stains.
- Breathable, moisture-wicking, and durable fabric
- Two hand and secure-zip pockets
- Gusseted crotch for free mobility
- Thin and lightweight
- Partial elastic waist
- Extra fabric in the front
12. Best Classic Fit: Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Cargo Shorts
Columbia’s Silver Ridge cargo shorts are sturdy outdoor essentials designed for the active man. These modern men’s shorts are crafted using a blend of lightweight nylon and Columbia’s trademark ripstop fabric to make them durable enough to sustain rough handling. As per reviews, the shorts have also been lined with a trademark moisture-wicking fabric to keep the wearer dry and comfortable all day long. Moreover, the shorts’ elasticated waist and hook-eye closure make them suitable for men of all sizes.
- Has zippered pockets
- Comes with a waist belt
- Provides protection from UV rays
- Available in multiple colors
- Mesh pockets may wear out after repeated use
- Velcro closure might be a little flimsy
13. Best Loose-Fit: Basoteeuo Men’s Cargo Shorts
These loose-fit shorts are made of 100% cotton, making them comfortable and breathable. They come with multiple pockets, including two side slash pockets, two back pockets, and two thigh pockets with button closure. Further, they measure 14.69×13.19×2.64in and weigh 1.07lb and are available in four colors, including army green, black, grey, and khaki.
- Multiple pockets
- Breathable fabric
- Durable cotton
- Zipper may not be durable
How To Choose The Right Cargo Shorts?
Consider the following factors when buying a pair of cargo shorts.
- Material: Cargo shorts are typically constructed of cotton twill, an excellent fabric that offers comfort and durability. Make sure the material is soft against the skin and not too thin.
- Pockets: Cargo shorts are known for their multiple pockets. Most cargo short enthusiasts prefer additional pockets as they may need to carry accessories and other essential items.
- Length: Cargo shorts are available in various sizes and lengths. Shorter cargo shorts are perfect for running or jogging, while longer cargo shorts are appropriate for casual wear or work.
- Comfort: Make sure the cargo shorts are not too loose or too tight. Choose cargo shorts that perfectly fit your waist.
- Washing: Ensure that the cargo shorts are machine-washable. Further, make sure that the cargo shorts you purchase do not fade when you wash them.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag, a fashion enthusiast and skilled product writer and reviewer, brings you this list of the best consumer-tested cargo shorts that are well-fitting, durable, long-lasting, and skin-friendly. These baggy and comfortable shorts are available in different styles and have multiple pockets to provide ample space for items such as keys and sunglasses. These products are chosen after considering product reviews from trusted websites for quality assurance. Furthermore, Poulami has listed the pros and cons of each product and included a buyer’s guide to help you pick the right pair of cargo shorts.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it okay to wear cargo shorts?
Cargo shorts are comfortable, airy, and equipped with many sizable pockets. It’s ideal for spring, when the weather is not too hot for regular shorts and not too cold for full-length PJs.
2. Are cargo shorts out of style now?
Cargo shorts have been a staple since the late 90s, despite not being fashionable among folks who don’t believe in knee-length shorts. Ultimately, style is what you make it.
3. What are cargo shorts good for?
Here are the advantages of wearing cargo shorts:
- Relaxed appearance
- Low maintenance
- Ample storage
4. What are cargo shorts made of?
Breathable fabrics, such as high-quality twill cotton and polyester-cotton blend are generally used to make most cargo shorts.
5. Are cargo shorts machine washable?
Yes, most cargo shorts are machine washable. Reading the care instructions provided by the manufacturer can give a precise assessment, as cleaning instructions may vary from brand to brand.
6. For how long do cargo shorts last?
Depending on the upkeep, the detergent used, and the frequency at which they are worn, cargo shorts can last for a couple of years.
There’s a reason cargo shorts are a fashion staple of every man’s wardrobe. They are super-functional and can easily carry all your essentials, such as keys and wallets. The best cargo shorts are not only practical, easy to wear, and comfortable, but also help you look stylish. They also provide you with complete freedom of movement and are excellent for wear during outdoor trips, especially in summer and monsoon. You can wear them at any time of the day, and they come in a wide variety of colors and styles to pick from.
Infographic: What Are The Advantages Of Cargo Shorts?
Cargo shorts, the versatile wardrobe staple loved for their practicality and ample pocket space, have become a go-to choice for those seeking comfort, functionality, and style. If you are still not convinced why they should be a part of your wardrobe, check out the following infographic, which highlights the merits of wearing cargo shorts.