The pursuit of soft, silky, and manageable hair can seem futile and endless until you chance upon a product that works like it was made especially for you. Castor oil is one such product that works on most scalp types and helps hydrate and moisturize your hair. The best castor oils for hair offer nourishment and alleviate dryness and even promote faster and healthier hair growth when applied regularly.
If you wish to upgrade your hair care routine and find a better way to eliminate hair thinning and manage your tresses, this one ingredient may be suitable for you. Keep scrolling as we bring you a selection of some organic castor oils with proven efficacy to help give your hair a salon-like treatment.
15 Best Castor Oils For Your Hair
1. Best For All Hair Types:Kate Blanc Cosmetics Certified Organic Castor Oil
Here’s a USDA-certified castor oil that is organically sourced to provide maximum benefits and works for all hair types, from oily to combination and sensitive to dry. It is effective at promoting thicker and healthier hair growth with consistent application, and the oil also helps you transform your eyebrows and lashes by making them appear more lush and voluminous. Authentic, natural, and toxin-free, the castor oil is especially suited to dry and brittle hair that needs a pick-me-up in the form of deep hydration. In addition to moisturizing the scalp and other areas where you wish to stimulate hair growth, the oil can also help pamper your scalp and prevent acne, making it one of the best castor oils for hair to have on your makeup shelf. Before buying, have a look at this product testing video for more details.
- Organic formulation
- Natural hair growth oil
- Hexane-free and cruelty-free
- Works as an oil-free moisturizer
- Super-easy to apply
- Might cause irritation to the eyes
"This castor oil leveled up my self care routine, and the hydration benefits it delivers are commendable. My hair is healthier and stronger, and my skin feels peachy soft. While the application can be a bit messy, it's a minor hiccup, considering its many benefits."
2. Best For Stronger Tresses:Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil
You’ll love this castor oil for the hair benefits it offers. It moisturizes the roots and nourishes hair follicles to give you stronger, healthier tresses. Whether you want fuller eyebrows, eyelashes, a healthy scalp, or a voluminous mane, this hair growth castor oil helps make that happen. The 100% pure formula is retrieved through cold-processing as opposed to chemical extraction, which allows the product to retain more vitamins and antioxidants without getting exposed to potential irritants. It is ideal for dry, lifeless strands and is one of the best castor oils for hair growth and nourishment, offering visible results. Check out this video to learn more.
- A little goes a long way
- Moisturizing castor oil for hair
- Has conditioning properties
- No silicones, dyes, or mineral oil
- Sulfate- and phthalate-free
- Might be slightly tough to rinse off
"I’ve been using this organic castor oil for a while, and it is quite versatile–caring for both my skin and hair. I also like the precision tip applicator that offers convenience."
3. Best Quick Absorption:iQ Natural Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Want to revive dull hair or skin without spending hours at the spa? Choose this Jamaican black nourishing castor oil for hair growth. It is an excellent rejuvenator that conditions strands naturally with its certified organic ingredients. Suitable for all hair types, the formula absorbs quickly and leaves you with soft, hydrated tresses abundant with strength and shine. It has been formulated by cold-pressing castor beans without the use of chemical extraction, so you can rest assured it is safe and healthy for you. You may check more about this product from this review video detailing a tester’s experience.
- Moisturizes from the root to the tip
- Promotes hair growth
- Hexane-free formula
- Beautiful lavender scent
- Does not contain alcohol
- Might feel slightly heavy on the scalp
"I noticed that my hair became more manageable with just a few applications of this oil. Though thicker than expected, it is easy to spread, and its moisturizing properties deeply hydrate my hair. Plus, it also doubles as a heat protectant."
Kate Blanc Cosmetics Certified Organic Castor Oil
Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil
iQ Natural Jamaican Black Castor Oil
|1.77 x 1.77 x 4.72 inches
|3.94 x 3.94 x 3.94 inches
4. Best Follicle Health:Handcraft Blends 100% Pure Castor Oil
If you’ve been searching for the purest castor oil that comes unfiltered, undiluted, and without any artificial additives or fillers, this one from Handcraft Blends fits the bill. Infused with vitamins and fatty acids, just a few drops of this castor oil can provide holistic nourishment to the scalp, skin, and brows. It also moisturizes, thickens, and strengthens the follicles and stimulates blood flow to your scalp, thus ensuring better absorption of the oil and its nutrients. Use the oil to rejuvenate dull hair and skin and also for massages as it helps relieve joint and muscle soreness and allows you to feel more relaxed.
- Promotes hair growth and adds volume to the hair
- Can be used to dilute essential oils
- Professional-grade formula
- Strengthens eyelashes and eyebrows
- Ideal for all hair types
- Might feel slightly sticky
"This castor oil is a staple in my hair care and skincare regimen for its moisturizing properties and promoting hair and eyebrow growth. It has a unique smell, but it's bearable, and it helps manage my curls with ease thanks to its thick consistency."
5. Best For Fighting Aging Signs:Aria Starr Beauty 100% Pure Cold-Pressed Castor Oil
This oil has been extracted through a cold-pressed process using only the best castor seeds and comes with botanical ingredients naturally extracted and preserved to provide your hair and skin with deep nourishment. The all-in-one hair care and skincare product hydrates the hair right from the root to the tip while also alleviating blemishes, scars, and other aging-related signs from your skin. If a multitasking product that can simultaneously give you gorgeous hair, healthy scalp, and skin is what you need in your life, look no further and bring this bottle home.
- Easy to dispense and apply
- Reduces hair loss and breakage
- Helps manage dandruff and scalp conditions
- Ideal for straight and curly hair
- Some may not like the thick consistency
"This oil has done everything from hydrating my scalp to relieving my sunburn. Its fragrance is also pleasant, and the pump dispenser makes applying it a breeze. However, I recommend using a small about as it tends to be slightly greasy."
6. Best For Shine-Enhancing Hair:Tropic Isle Living The Original Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Get stronger, healthier hair that does not break or fall with Tropic Isle Living’s original Jamaican black castor oil. The miracle worker works for the skin and the hair by coating your skin with a protective barrier that helps you seal moisture inside and strengthen the hair follicles from within. You can also use this shine-enhancing castor oil for hair to enhance the appearance of your nails and protect your nail bed from fungus.
- Adds shine and luster to hair
- Has moisturizing properties
- Helps repair scar tissue
- Made of high-quality and fire-roasted beans
- Easy to apply and blend
- Some might not find the scent appealing
"I got this oil at my friend's recommendation, and I consider it the perfect find for keeping my hair and skin moisturized. Its leak-proof bottle is also a bonus for traveling. I wish its consistency were thinner, but I still reach for it whenever my hair feels dry."
7. Best Hexane-Free:Heritage Store Castor Oil Nourishing Treatment
Have you ever heard of an ingredient that can do everything from strengthening your hair to adding more volume to it? This one-ingredient wonder from the Heritage Store offers deeper penetration to hydrate and moisturize the scalp effectively. Cold-pressed and free of hexane, this professional-grade oil is excellent at making you look and feel healthier. The beautiful and easy-to-use packaging is yet another boon as it makes you want to apply the oil regularly.
- Not tested on animals
- Strengthening castor oil for hair
- A little goes a long way
- Available in multiple sizes
- Offers deep hydration
- Might feel heavy on the scalp
"This oil is quite the multitasker–it's effectively tamed frizz and reduced skin discoloration. It takes some time to get absorbed, but consistent use has nourished my hair. And the cruelty-free formulation is a bonus."
8. Best For Alleviating Dryness:Hair Thickness Maximizer Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Crafted with the highest-quality castor beans that have been fire-roasted and pulverized in a mortar followed by slow-boiling, this is a balanced and nutritional blend that gives dry and frizzy hair the TLC it deserves. It is also ideal for eyelashes and eyebrows, and its quick-absorbing properties alleviate dryness to leave you with thicker and more hydrated tresses. Further, it allows you to preserve and strengthen existing hair follicles while promoting the growth of new ones—yet another reason to fall in love with this particular oil.
- Free of molds and toxins
- 100% pure and natural
- No fillers, fragrances, or additives
- Does not have a scent
- Nourishes the scalp
- Might be slightly hard to rinse off
"Adding this castor oil to my hair care routine was the best decision! My hair looks prettier with regular application, and a little goes a long way. Also, it does weigh my hair down and is not sticky."
9. Best For Scalp:Home Health Original Castor Oil
This natural, emollient castor oil is designed to penetrate the skin barrier and leave your hair moisturized and conditioned. Ideal for the scalp, skin, and eyebrows, the oil works exceptionally well on split ends, dry scalp, and frizzy hair strands, offering visible results. You can also use this cold-pressed carrier oil with wool flannel and concoct your own soothing formula to alleviate muscle and joint pain or combine it with other ingredients to make yourself a make-up remover or facial cleanser at home.
- Has hair softening and moisturizing properties
- Conditioning castor oil for hair
- Not tested on animals
- No parabens or artificial colors
- Vegan and hexane-free
- Suitable for cracked feet too
"The cold-pressed formulation was the first thing that appealed to me. In just a few uses, it has reduced split ends and frizziness. It also feels very lightweight and does not leave a sticky layer. Its packaging could have been better, but that's a minor hiccup in front of its effectiveness."
10. Best For Daily Use:Majestic Pure Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Cleanse, nourish, and moisturize yourself from head to toe with this concoction from Majestic Pure. It is formulated to help your skin, hair, and nails flourish. Roasted and cold-pressed with no additives or dilution, this hydrating castor oil for hair absorbs quickly, making it ideal for daily or weekly application. You can also use this as a carrier to dilute essential oils or blend with other ingredients to make fantastic DIY skin and hair care products and recipes.
- Not tested on animals
- Safe for all hair and skin types
- Easy to apply and rinse off
- Seals in moisture to condition the hair and scalp
- Some might not find the scent appealing
"Incorporating this oil into my hair care regimen has been the best decision. It has improved the hydration of my hair and nourished it from the roots to the tip. Its unique scent may not sit well with everybody, but it dissipates quickly. Hence, I love applying it on my skin too."
11. Best Nourishment Elixir:Jamaican Mango & Lime Black Castor Oil
Packed with a long list of powerful and beneficial ingredients, this unique castor oil is known for revitalizing damaged hair and skin by restoring moisture levels and nourishing from deep within. The versatile formula is derived from the finest Jamaican castor beans that are handpicked and manually ground to bring you only the highest quality product. Rich in vitamins and antioxidants, this professional-grade castor oil can be used to hydrate the hair follicles, promote thicker eyebrows and lashes, and give your skin a natural glow.
- Suitable for daily application
- Reduces dullness and dryness
- Can be used for massages
- All-natural ingredients
- Some may not like the smell
"I recently tried this castor oil and was amazed by its nourishing properties. It worked great for moisturizing my skin and hair, and while I didn't notice significant hair growth, it did help improve the volume."
12. Best Volume Booster:Shiny Leaf Cold-Pressed Organic Castor Oil
While there’s no real shortcut to achieving voluminous hair overnight, this oil by Shiny Leaf comes close with how effectively it works. The natural cold-pressed formula helps reduce dryness, flakiness, dandruff, and split ends and moisturizes and nourishes your hair without feeling too greasy, making it ideal as an overnight treatment. Being one of the best cold-pressed castor oils, it is super-easy to apply and combines well with other ingredients to give you the best care without letting you spend a fortune on different products.
- Rich in vitamins and fatty acids
- Split end repair castor oil
- 100% chemical-free
- No hexane, parabens, or alcohol
- No additives or fillers
- Promotes hair growth
- Might be slightly thick for daily use
"Its versatile formulation has allowed me to use it for my hair, skin, and eyelashes. Its consistency may be slightly greasy, but it gets absorbed quickly and gives my hair a healthy-looking shine. Therefore, I plan on sticking to it."
13. Best Circulation Booster:Difeel 99% Natural Castor Premium Hair Oil
If you want the ultimate dry scalp treatment that helps moisturize and nourish hair and scalp in the right ways, this Difeel castor oil is precisely what you need. Containing high amounts of ricinoleic acid, which improves blood circulation in the scalp, the oil also ensures the nutrients from your hair care products are properly absorbed by the follicles. This thickening castor oil for hair also balances the scalp’s pH, tames frizz and split ends, repairs damaged hair, and makes tangles more manageable.
- Rich in antioxidants
- A little goes a long way
- Strengthens and thickens strands
- Deeply conditions the scalp
- Boosts hair growth
- Might have a strong smell
"I’m glad this oil doesn’t leave any residue while effectively working on my hair. It has a lovely scent, and consistent application is the key to good results."
14. Best Anti-Frizz Elixir:SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil
The renowned skincare and hair care experts at SheaMoisture bring you this concoction that improves hair health and easy to apply. It treats lifeless and frizzy hair with utmost care and brings them back to life. The anti-frizz castor oil for hair deeply conditions your scalp and reduces signs of split ends, dandruff, and dryness. It has been combined with Fair Trade Certified organic shea butter to give your hair the highest level of moisturization and makes the hair shinier, so you can style them confidently without the fear of breakage. You can also use this anti-frizz serum to prevent heat damage, especially on color-treated hair that might be prone to discoloration.
- Rich in reparative ingredients
- Scalp treatment castor oil
- No parabens or harmful chemicals
- 100% vegan and cruelty-free
- Refreshing peppermint fragrance
- Quantity might be less than expected
"Besides smelling heavenly, this oil has made my hair look healthy and smooth. The oil's bottle design could have been more user-friendly, but the quantity and quality of the oil are impressive"
15. Best Breakage Fighter:Eve Hansen Organic Castor Oil
This beautifully-packaged castor oil from Eve Hansen helps you grow thick, luscious eyebrows and lashes without having to spend the day at the salon. It also works wonders as a natural moisturizer for dry hair and helps reduce split ends, hair breakage, and dullness. Infused with powerful antioxidants and fatty acids such as oleic acid and vitamin E oil, it is ideal for those who want to streamline their daily routine and use one product that can rejuvenate and nourish the body from head to toe.
- No sulfates or parabens
- Organic castor oil for hair
- Ideal for cuticle treatment
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Can be used as a carrier oil for aromatherapy
- Stimulates hair growth
- Application process might not be mess-free
"It was a pleasant experience experimenting with this castor oil, which I initially bought for my hair. I researched and tried using it as a natural makeup remover and moisturizer, and it worked. Plus, it pairs well with essential oils."
How To Choose The Right Castor Oil For Hair?
Here are a few things to consider before choosing the best castor oil for healthy hair.
- Purity: Ensure the oil is cold-pressed and 100% pure. Avoid products that contain additives as these can irritate the scalp. The oil should be tested free of harsh chemicals and come with safety certifications to prove it is organic.
- Hair type: Consider your hair type to find the best castor oil for hair that meets your needs. While most oils are suitable for all hair types, some may work better for dry or oily hair. Oils that cater to a particular hair type may bring better, more visible results.
- Fragrance: Some people prefer a light, refreshing scent, while others prefer unscented formulations. So, check if the oil is fragrance-free or not and choose accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does castor oil help with hair growth?
Castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid, a fatty acid that reduces inflammation of the scalp, prevents hair loss, and promotes healthy hair growth.
2. How should I apply castor oil?
Too much castor oil can make your hair greasy and result in adverse reactions if you have a sensitive scalp. Therefore, it’s important to use it no more than once a week. You can slather it on and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes before shampooing.
3. How should I remove castor oil from my hair?
Being an oil of high viscosity, you may need to wash your hair thoroughly with a regular shampoo twice, at the max thrice, to get rid of the oil.
4. Is castor oil good for fine hair?
Yes, cold-pressed castor oil is good for fine hair. However, ensure you shampoo your hair after applying it for not more than 30 minutes.
5. Are all castor oils the same?
Most castor oils are similar in their beneficial properties, but with regard to density levels, castor oils may differ. For instance, cold-pressed versions are thinner than their Jamaican counterparts, making the latter more suitable for thick or curly hair.
6. Does castor oil expire?
As with any other typical oil, castor oil too can turn rancid. Most castor oils can last at least a year, provided they are kept away from moisture, direct sunlight, and heat.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a seasoned writer and researcher passionate about fashion, skincare, and hair care. She enjoys writing about the most innovative products in the market so that readers can have a seamless shopping experience. Here, she has reviewed the best castor oils that help nourish and hydrate your hair. Poulami has also shortlisted the products after considering their pros and cons and reading the consumer reviews and tester experiences of each product on multiple e-commerce websites to provide you with the right information and advice.
The best castor oil for hair will make those tresses feel clean, nourished, and more voluminous. With the options listed here, it’s easier to find one that is soothing, formulated using suitable ingredients and reduces dryness and hair loss. We recommend the cold-pressed and non-GMO Home Health Original Castor Oil, also suitable for joint and muscle massage. The Handcraft Blends 100% Pure Castor Oil is another good choice; it is undiluted and can facilitate aromatherapy. In addition, the Tropic Isle Living The Original Jamaican Black Castor Oil is worth noting due to its Omega fatty acids, minerals, and Vitamin E content. However, when buying castor oil, consider your hair type and the product ingredients so your hair remains hydrated, moisturized, and healthy daily.
Infographic: Things To Consider Before Applying Castor Oil For Hair
Castor oil has long been hailed as a natural solution for promoting healthy hair growth. However, before applying castor oil to your hair, there are a few important things to consider. To know what they are, check out the infographic below and get the most out of your treatment.
- Sedighe Azhari et al.; (2006); Evaluation of the effect of castor oil on initiating labor in term pregnancy.
- Vinay R. Patel et al.; (2016); Castor Oil: Properties, Uses, and Optimization of Processing Parameters in Commercial Production.
- Best Coconut Oils For Hair
- Best Scalp Oils That Will Soothe You
- Best Korean Shampoos For Healthy Hair
- Best Growth Supplements For Thick And Healthy Hair