The importance of comfortable everyday seating cannot be overemphasized. Whether you are a professional at work or a student in college, if you find yourself hunched over the computer screen through the day and struggle with body ache as a result, the best chairs for neck pain can alleviate the problem to a great extent.
Shoulder, back, and neck pain are common among those tied to a desk. These ergonomic chairs for neck pain are designed with a strategic neck rest, cushioned fabric seats, and adjustable settings to help you maintain proper posture.
Here are some of the most widely recommended chairs for neck pain that help alleviate stress. Check out their features and pros and cons and take your pick.
11 Best Chairs For Neck and Shoulders Pain Relief In 2023
1. Best For Neck And Lower Back Support:Homall Chair With Headrest And Lumbar Support
- Made of PU leather with a sturdy steel frame.
- Comes with a headrest and pillow for neck support. Lumbar cushion helps support the lower back.
- Thick seat cushion made of high-density shaping foam enables comfortable sitting.
- Multidirectional PU wheels, with color caster, enable the chair to move easily.
- Tilt-lock mechanism with the ability to recline up to 180° makes it the ideal living room chair
- Gas spring cylinder makes it easy to make seat height adjustments
- Can take up load up to 300 lb.
- Wheels have been tested by 1000 miles rolling.
- Available in different color combinations.
- Simple assembling process
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Armrests easily fit under a regular desk
- Firm padding makes long hours of work comfortable
- Satisfied customers call it the best office chair for neck and shoulder pain
- Extra accessories may be relatively expensive to buy
- Brand may not offer good customer service.
2. Best Color Combinations:Furmax Ergonomic Chair With Headrest And Lumbar Support
- Thick seat made of PU leather and mesh for comfortable use.
- Pneumatic gas lift allows adjustment of seat height from 15.2 inches to 18.3 inches.
- Thick and tall backrest for complete support for the spine and neck.
- Can take weight up to 280lb.
- 360° swivel wheels come with rolling casters to prevent scratching.
- Available in multiple color combinations.
- Easy to assemble
- Firm and comfortable to use
- Reasonably priced for a leather chair
- Offers good lumbar support
- Easy to wipe clean
- One of the best office chairs for back and neck pain
- Does not have side padding or bolstering
- Exterior tends to peel easily
3. Best Easy-To-Assemble:Best Office Chair With Lumbar Support And Flip-Up Arms
- Ergonomic chair for neck and shoulder pain with adjustable headrest and detachable neck pillow.
- Flexible armrest comes with padding.
- Flex control allows for easy adjustment of the backrest.
- Thick seat with padding makes sitting for long hours comfortable.
- Gas lift makes it easy to adjust the seat’s height
- Metal base offers firm and stable movement.
- 360° swivel wheels with rolling casters glide smoothly.
- Can take up weight up to 250lb.
- Easy to assemble
- Arms easily fit under a desk
- Firm padding does not sink in with weight
- Head and lumbar support makes long hours of sitting comfortable
- Considered as best gaming chair for neck and shoulder pain
- Wheels cannot be locked
- Screws tend to squeak with frequent use
Best For Neck And Lower Back Support
Best Color Combinations
|Homall Chair with Headrest and Lumbar Support||Furmax Ergonomic Chair with Headrest and Lumbar Support||Best Office Chair With Lumbar Support and Flip-up Arms|
|Frame Material||Alloy Steel||-||Stainless Steel, Plastic|
|Weight||42.1 Pounds||28.7 Pounds||34 pounds|
|Dimensions||19.8"D x 20.5"W x 47.8"H||19.8"D x 19.8"W x 40.5"H||28"D x 27.3"W x 47.6"H|
|Material||Faux Leather, Alloy Steel, Rubber||Faux Leather||Faux Leather, Metal|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Breathability And Comfort: Flash Furniture High Back Office Chair With Adjustable Headrest
- High back with lumbar supportive chair for neck and shoulder pain.
- Mesh back offers better breathability.
- Waterfall seat design or a downward curve helps take off pressure from legs.
- Heavy-duty base comes with a two-tone chrome design for an attractive look.
- Mesh back helps keep cool during summer
- Affordable price
- Good quality seat cushioning for comfort
- Cooling chair with a sturdy frame
- Arms are not adjustable and do not fit under the table
- Lacks tilt-lock mechanism
5. Best Adjustable Headrest And Armrest:Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable Office Chair
- Comes with an adjustable headrest.
- Twist of the lever easily adjusts lumbar support and depth.
- Adjustable armchair with neck and shoulder support
- Backrest can tilt up to 120°.
- Breathable mesh keeps the back cool.
- Can support weight up to 330lb.
- Assembling involves eight simple steps
- Chair does not make any squeaky sounds
- Sturdy metal body
- Rolling casters do not make sound and move smoothly
- Happy buyers consider it as the best home chair for neck pain
- Chair tends to give off a chemical odor
- Armrests may not be firm and stable
6. Best Reclining:Sidiz T50 Ergonomic Home Office Chair
- Mesh fabric back designed to offer spine support and a comfortable sitting posture.
- S-curve design for comfort.
- Adjustable mesh chair for neck and shoulder pain – back, arms, head, and bottom could be customized to your preference through easily accessible levers.
- A unique forward-tilt feature to adjust the seat slope and several combinations and options of movements with five tilting angles.
- Has a weight limit of 250lb.
- Rolling casters glide smoothly without scuffing
- Heavy-duty base holds weight well
- Easy to assemble
- Tested to meet ANSI and BIFMA standards
- May seem high even in the lowest-height seating
- Padding may not be adequate
7. Best Ergonomic Design:Steelcase Gesture Office Chair
- The ergonomic chair for neck pain is made using 100% polyester.
- The seat cushion has a modern design and uses air pockets to reduce the pressure that comes from sitting for a long time.
- The arms of the chair offer a full-range motion of 360 degrees to allow comfort even while reclining.
- This posture-correcting chair for neck and shoulder pain features 3D LiveBack Technology, designed to imitate the natural movements of your spine and flex as your posture changes.
- 400lb weight limit
- Adjustable lumbar support option available.
- Adjustable seat height
- Ideal chair for back pain
- BIFMA Level-certified
- Might seem bulky to some
- Arms might keep tilting without alignment
8. Best To Reduce Stress On Legs:Hbada Ergonomic Office Recliner Chair
- Steel frame ensures a sturdy build.
- SGS-certified gas lift mechanism for efficiency.
- Mesh body for breathability.
- High-density foam cushion does not sink in with weight.
- Neck rest is rotatable, and the seat’s height is also adjustable.
- Comes with an inverted triangle spine for a sturdy backrest, making it a suitable executive chair for back and neck pain.
- Hollow carved back allows good ventilation.
- Waterfall seat design helps reduce stress on the legs.
- Mesh body provides air ventilation
- Reasonably priced
- Sturdy metal base keeps the chair stable
- Padding on the armrest for comfort
- Several users call it the best recliner chair for neck pain
- Chair feels shaky when in a reclining position
- Headrest may not lock fully in place
9. Best Mobility And Customization: Realm Of Thrones Commodore Office Chair
- Mesh and nylon build
- 136-degree ultra-wide recline
- Adjustable 4D armrests
- 3D lumbar support
- Maximum weight of 90kg
- Breathable and ergonomic design
- Durable build
- Quality material
- Helps relieve pressure on the thighs
- Five-year warranty
- Height- and depth-adjustable
- Three lock-in positions
- Suitable office chair for back and neck pain
- May not be suitable for tall people
- Armrests may become wobbly
10. Best Wheels:Nouhaus Ergonomic Office Chair
- 4D adjustable armrest
- 135-degree back tilt
- 3D lumbar support
- The gliding seat goes up and down with ease.
- A set of five-point base hardwood floor dual castors.
- Smooth Hydralift and Elastomesh fabric allow sweat-wicking and airflow while sitting.
- Maximum weight capacity of 275lb.
- Adjustable headrest
- Easy to assemble
- Seat may be narrow for some
- Seat might not have enough cushioning
11. Best Lightweight:Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair
- This swivel chair for neck and shoulder pain is designed using 97% recycled components.
- Has a chrome base with nylon casters.
- Seat depth adjustment and synchronized tilt mechanism.
- Offers back angle adjustment and a three-position tilt-lock mechanism.
- Tension control adjustment feature to monitor the force used for reclining or sitting upright while sitting.
- Installed with a pneumatic cylinder for raising or lowering the chair
- The maximum weight capacity of this chair is 250lb.
- Adjustable armrests and lumbar support
- Lightweight design
- Easy to assemble
- Fits people of most body sizes
- One of the best office chairs for neck and shoulder pain
- Tested to meet ANSI or BIFMA standards
- May not be appropriate for short people
- Arms might seem wide apart
How To Choose The Right Chairs For Neck And Shoulder Pain?
Here are the factors to consider when choosing the best chair for neck and shoulder pain.
- Ergonomic design: Look for ergonomic features when choosing the right chair, including adjustable headrest, detachable neck pillow, armrest flexibility, lumbar support chair for neck and shoulder pain plus for the back, and more for a comfortable sitting experience.
- Adjustability: While choosing the best office chair for neck and shoulder pain, ensure it has sufficient adjustable features to sustain long sitting hours. It should have a comfortable backrest tilt, seat height and depth adjustment.
- Comfort: Ensure the chair has thick padded cushions and armrests, breathable and high-quality material, a high backrest, and more to sit for long hours. The padded cushion shouldn’t sink in while sitting for optimal support.
- Load capacity:These chairs have varying load capacity, ranging from 200 to 500 lb. So, choose according to your needs and sit comfortably.
- Wheels: Choose a chair with 360-degree swiveling wheels that offer maximum mobility and function. The rolling casters should be durable and smooth and provide stability.
- Assembly requirement: Check the assembly instructions and requirements before selecting a chair. While some are available pre-assembled, others may require you to assemble them by following some minimal instructions.
- Washability: Check if the fabric is washable or not and choose as per the cleaning requirements.
Melissa Hawkins, an experienced home expert and editor-in-chief of HomeArise, says, “You should also consider the built-in features. Look for chairs with built-in massagers or heating pads. These features can provide additional relief from pain and help to loosen tight muscles.”
Will Sleeping On These Chairs Cause Any Health Problem?
The chairs we have listed are designed to help alleviate neck pain in those who spend long hours in a sitting position, and not for people to sleep in it. Also, sleeping in a chair in a sitting position or even with the backrest reclined to 180° is not ideal. However, people who suffer from health conditions, such as GERD, prefer sleeping in a reclining chair for neck and shoulder pain as it helps relieve symptoms of the ailment.
If you have an ailment that makes sleeping in a regular bed difficult, then you can consult your physician and seek advice on sleeping in a reclining chair.
Why Trust MomJunction?
While lengthy working hours cannot be avoided, using proper chairs can alleviate neck strain. Wedetso Chirhah, using his writing experience on home, furniture, and kitchen products, has looked through various product features and reviews to compile a list of the best chairs for neck pain. He has made this selection based on comfort, weight, durability, and other important product details. Moreover, this post provides some helpful purchasing advice to assist you in making a more informed decision about ergonomic chairs for neck pain.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do ergonomic chairs help with neck pain?
Yes, ergonomic chairs are specially designed to provide proper backrest and neck support. These chairs are also built with good armrests and other outstanding features to support your posture.
2. Can a chair cause neck pain?
Sitting for prolonged hours in office chairs can cause neck and shoulder pain because of improper posture. Most people slouch sitting in an office chair, especially for continuous hours.
3. What kind of chair is good for neck pain?
Ergonomic chairs with an adjustable height, lumbar support, heavy-duty base, and durability are ideal for minimizing neck pain. However, ensure that these chairs also have a reclining system, especially if you are working on a computer for prolonged hours.
4. Should I get an office chair with neck support?
Sitting for prolonged hours without neck support may cause neck stiffness in some people. So, an office chair with neck support would help provide additional support to your neck issue.
5. How do I sit in an ergonomic chair with a headrest?
Sit upright with a slightly reclined position. Relax your neck and shoulders. And adjust the headrest to cut off the pressure from the neck.
If you experience neck pain, investing in the best chairs for neck pain may help make you feel better. To pick one, you might want to ensure that you are comfortable using it. You might have come across the cast number of options available, but the key to picking is to consider the one that suits your height, is durable enough to withstand your weight, and is easy to clean and maintain. Our recommendations include the Steelcase Gesture Office Chair, which mimics the spine’s natural curve; the Realm Of Thrones Commodore Office Chair with a breathable mesh; and the Homall S-Race Gaming Chair with lumbar support. You might also want to pick one with comfortable padding that targets spots on your body and relieves you from the pain.
Infographic: Buying Guide For Chairs For Neck And Shoulder Pain
Spending hours working in front of a computer can harm your health. However, a good office chair can help reduce the pressure on your body. It can help maintain a good posture and sit comfortably. In this infographic, we look at certain key features you must consider before selecting the best office chair for neck and shoulder pain for yourself.
- Best Armless Office Chairs
- Best Gaming Chairs For Back Pain
- Best Chairs For Programmers
- Best Kneeling Chairs