Cheese knives are a category of kitchen knives designed to cut up the cheese with absolute precision. Since different types of cheese have different consistencies, you should invest in the best cheese knives for a smooth cutting experience. While using the knives, it is important to use a cheese board as the base to have a smooth cheese-cutting experience.
Sarah Blair, a chef, culinary producer, food stylist, and founder of Pure Palate, says, “Cheese knives are not only aesthetically pleasing but also quite functional. It is essential to have a set handy for any get-together or soiree to impress your guests and make any cheese board a delight.”
Check out our list of some of the best cheese knives available in the market and choose the right one.
Types of Cheese Knives
Each cheese knife is curated for a purpose. Learn the different types of cheese knives for a better understanding.
- Soft cheese knife: Also known as an open work blade knife, it has holes to keep soft cheeses from sticking to the surface.
- Hard cheese knife: It has a long straight blade with sharp edges and cuts the cheese without crumbling it.
- Cheese spreader: A spatula knife with dull edges and a rounded blade for spreading soft cheese on crackers and bread.
- Flat cheese knife: Also called cheese chisel knife, it is used for breaking big hard cheeses. It is a flat blade with a sharp bottom edge.
- Narrow plane knife: A trapezium-shaped knife used for cutting cheese and chipping away at the block.
- Pronged cheese knife: A fork-tipped spear that allows you to cut a piece of cheese and pick it with the prongs for serving.
- Gorgonzola knife: It is similar to a cheese spreader used for spreading creamy cheeses. It has a sharp edge to cut through the cheese rinds.
- Cheddar cheese knife: Also known as a cheese cleaver, it is a wide rectangular blade with long sharp edges to cut slices of hard cheeses.
- Parmesan knife: It has a stubby triangular blade with a pointed edge for breaking chunks of dry and hard cheeses.
- Slim blade cheese knife: It is a narrow blade with sharp edges to cut soft to semi-hard cheeses.
11 Best Cheese Knives
Here’s a set of four cheese knives by Boska to make cutting and spreading cheese effortless. They can be used for cutting semi-soft to hard cheese. Each of these forged knives made of stainless steel is dishwasher-safe and easy to maintain.
- Set of four mini cheese knives
- Strong and durable knives
- Made from premium stainless steel
- Ten-year guarantee
- Some may find the knives a bit thin
- May not be suitable for cutting bigger blocks of cheese
The versatile cheese cutting knife is suitable for different types of cheeses, fruits, and vegetables. Its unique open surface blade design reduces friction and prevents the cheese from sticking. No matter what cheese it is, these knives produce the perfect slices.
- Made of quality-crafted stainless steel
- Sharp serrated edge
- Durable Bakelite handle
- Ten-inch long with 5.5-inch blade
- Handle may seem short
- May require some sharpening after several uses
The Freehawk Knife Set includes one semi-heart-shaped knife for spreading cheese, two rectangular-shaped knives for spreading and slicing, and one prong fork for serving. This modern and stylish cheese knife collection could make a thoughtful present for any cheese lover. They are a classy addition to your dinner tables and party trays.
- Made of premium stainless steel and bamboo wood handles
- Ergonomically designed handles for a comfortable grip
- Lightweight construction
- Easy to store
- Convenient to wash
- Wood may be prone to discoloration over extended use
- Handles may require frequent tightening
The unique patented blade design cuts the cheese perfectly without leaving any residue on the blade. It conveniently slices the cheese and can also be used for cutting bread, fruits, and vegetables.
- Made from ULTEM resin
- Heat- and stain-resistant blade
- Easy to store
- Comfortable grip
- May not be suitable for hard cheeses
- May veer off occasionally
The Icosa Living Lunar Cheese Knife Set is a gift-ready set of six different knives. It comprises four cheese knives, one cheese fork which also doubles up as a cheese server, and one cheese spreader to handle soft, hard, and semi-hard cheeses. The premium feel and sleek design of these sophisticated knives make them a classy addition to your dining collection.
- High-quality stainless steel knives
- Ergonomically designed handles
- Sharp edges for spreading, slicing, and serving cheese
- Even weight distribution improves balance for precise cuts
- Shipped in an elegantly-designed gift box
- Some may find them lighter than expected
- Handles may be short for larger hands
The Hecef cheese knife set consists of three knives with a teardrop-shaped handle design and bronze grain finish. The longer blades of these cheese cutting tools offer balance and make the cheese-cutting process easier. They are ideal gift options for various occasions.
- Made using high-quality stainless steel
- Comprises a hard cheese knife, cheese pronged knife, and chisel knife
- Handles with non-slip coating offer better grip
- Non-stick coating on blades reduces the chance of sticking on the surface
- Lightweight and durable
- May be larger than expected
- Handles may not withstand regular use
The set of six cheese knives by Buru includes a cheese serving knife, a thin knife, heart knife, chisel knife, cheese fork, and cheese spreader, making it versatile for cutting and spreading different types of cheeses. The durable and easy-to-clean knives can cut through hard or soft cheeses and are also ideal for spreading soft, spreadable cheeses.
- Crafted with durable stainless steel
- Cheese fork allows you to hold the cheese while cutting
- Ideal for gifting
- May be smaller than expected
- May not be dishwasher-safe
Dalstrong’s sleek and stylish knife set contains four cheese knives with a scalpel-like edge. They have a corrosion-resistant titanium nitride coating and sport a 15° handcrafted edge to help you cut through textured cheeses with minimal resistance. Moreover, the military-grade fiber-resin handle is heat- and moisture-resistant.
- Liquid nitrogen-cooled blade offers flexibility
- Non-stick blades
- Non-porous material
- Includes space-saving sheath
- Handle might not be easy to hold
Here’s the five-piece Berglander Cheese Knife Set suitable for all occasions and for cutting hard, semi-firm, and soft cheeses. You can also use these cheese slicers and knives to spread or serve cheese. The knives are crafted from high-quality, durable stainless steel and feature stunning titanium gold plating that adds a touch of luxury.
- Includes a cheese spatula
- Ergonomic design
- Sharp serrations
- Thick, easy-to-grip handle
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- Available in four colors
- Might be a little bulky
This could be the best cheese knife set, including one parmesan knife, one chisel knife, and one pronged knife. Designed for luxury and comfort, these can be ideal gift options for anniversary, house-warming, and other special occasions. They are strong and durable cheese knives, making a lovely match to your flatware.
- Made of 18/10 stainless steel
- One-piece stainless steel construction
- Presence of nickel prevents corrosion
- Ten-year warranty
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- May not be suitable for hard cheeses
- Handles may not be as comfortable
The simple, minimalistic, and eye-catching cheese knife set from Zwilling is an ideal addition to all your charcuterie boards. The set includes three knives, including a forked knife and a perforated knife. These knives are suitable for cutting different types of cheese, such as parmesan, brie, camembert, and grana padano.
- Stainless steel construction
- Sleek yet durable design
- Ergonomic handle
- Each knife has a different shape
- Does not come with a protective case
- May not be rust-resistant
How To Choose The Right Cheese Knife Set?
Consider the following important features when planning to buy cheese knives.
- Type: Slicers and mini cheese cleavers are used for cutting hard cheese. Knives with holes work for soft cheeses while spoked-tipped knives are ideal for aged cheeses. Depending upon the kind of cheese you prefer using, pick a set that has the right knives.
- Material: Consider knives made of either stainless steel or high-carbon steel. They are durable and resistant to corrosion and rust.
You can use a sharpener to keep your stainless steel cheese knives in perfect condition and increase their lifespan. If the blade is porcelain or other malleable material, you can use automatic sharpeners.
- Design: The knife should be smooth, easy to use, and comfortable to hold.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is a product writer with expertise in researching and reviewing furniture and kitchen products. To provide the right information to his readers, he diligently searches using reliable sources to narrow down his lists to the highest-rated products in the market. In this article, he has reviewed the best cheese knives available, mentioning the pros and cons of each. He has also included a buying guide to help you choose the right knife.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do some cheese knives have holes?
A cheese knife with holes can enable you to cut even-sized cheese slices. The holes can help you push or slide the pieces of cheese onto the plate with minimal contact.
2. What does “nosing the cheese” mean?
Keeping the tip of a triangular piece of cheese intact when separated from the circular block is called nosing the cheese. The tip of the slice or the middle part of the cheese block is usually the ripest and most flavourful.
3. What temperature should I serve cheese?
You can serve cheese at different temperatures based on the dish and the ingredients in the cheese. When it comes to regular cheese, you can serve it at room temperature for easy consumption and maximum flavor.
4. How do I stop the cheese from sticking to the knife?
You can use a cheese knife with holes or grooves to keep the cheese from sticking to your knife. You can also dip the cheese knife in warm water before slicing a cold block of cheese.
Cheese is a delicate ingredient that needs to be handled with the utmost care and respect. Thus, you need to use the right cheese knife to make precise cuts, no matter what the dish or the occasion. Cheese knives come in particularly handy on days when you’re in the mood for an elaborate and beautifully designed cheese board, allowing you to cut the cheese in different shapes and sizes. The best cheese knives handpicked for you here are strong, lightweight, dishwasher-friendly, and ergonomically designed. When buying one, ensure you opt for the right type of knife as per the cheese so that you can cut into the hardest or softest of cheeses with the right amount of pressure and minimum effort.