Coronavirus and its aftermath have changed the way we look at the world. Most prominently, we have realized the importance of encouraging more studies and discoveries in the field of chemistry. Why not build interest in chemistry in young children by buying them some of the best chemistry sets? Often under-emphasized in schools and households, education in chemistry is beneficial considering that human beings are subject to the law of chemistry.
Explore the wonders of science with these best-selling chemistry apparatus kits for children, designed to inspire young minds through hands-on experimentation and discovery. Most of these sets come with detailed instructions and pieces that are made with care for safety. Also, teaching children chemistry helps improve their critical thinking, reasoning, and problem-solving skills and generates an interest in science. Not sure which are the best chemistry sets to buy for your child? Read this blog, and our list is comprehensive.
15 Best Chemistry Sets For Kids
Encourage your kid to explore a scientific laboratory with the Discovery Extreme Chemistry Science Kit with 20 fun experiments and simple chemical experiments for a fun, hands-on, and interactive learning experience, and your little one is bound to have a whole lot of fun. From understanding temperature reactions to extinguishing the fire, they will do more and play more while learning. The kit comes with a plastic cup, spoon, pipette, test tubes, and various chemicals like baking soda, litmus powder, and calcium chloride so they can make the best of this kid’s chemistry set. If you need more convincing, feel free to take a look at this YouTuber’s video on the merits and demerits of the product.
- Recommended for kids 12 years and up
- Includes litmus experiments
- Also comes with online visual instructions
- Includes a black light pen
- The experiments need to be followed sequentially.
If your child shows interest in chemistry, you can have them watch science programs. It will help develop their interest and also make concepts simpler.
Promote STEM education in a fun way with this junior experiments and reactions science lab kit. You can introduce young minds to the enticing world of scientific discovery by engaging them in playtime loaded with value. With 32 experiments and over 16 tools and ingredients like gloves, pipettes, and more, your child will be entertained. This skill-building science experiment kit for children also comes with a 36-page fact-filled guide that will educate your kid on various experiments that change color and fizz or more.
- Ideal for kids over the age of 8 years
- Easy to use
- Loads of fun and interesting facts included
- Teaches lab skills and safety
- High-quality products
- Safe and kid-friendly tools
- The kit may contain few contents and supplies.
The Yellow Scope Foundation Chemistry Kit supplies for dozens of experiments based on key scientific concepts like chemical reactions and temperatures. The Beakers and Bubbles chemistry set for kids has a 28-page lab notebook that outlines over 19 surprising experiments, fun facts, quizzes, and more. The educational chemistry kit for kids also contains real lab equipment, beakers, a digital timer, goggles, a thermometer, and more. Let your child indulge in hours of experimental fun and STEM learning with this fun, expert-approved chemistry set.
- Made by scientists who are mothers
- High-quality supplies
- Engaging and creative
- Learn about molecules and motion
- Includes a chemistry experiment book for kids
- May lack a detailed explanation of various chemical concepts.
What makes this kit one of the best chemistry sets for kids is that it includes 50 winter science experiments designed by real Crayola scientists using the supplies. This educational toy set is both safe and non-toxic and includes 18 out-of-the-box experiments and 32 additional scientific activities. The group or individual activity is educational and creative, making it a great giftable option for your young ones. If you want a detailed review of the product, make sure to take a look at this video showcasing a tester’s experience.
- Simple to follow instructions
- Create various snow-related chemistry models
- Safe and non-toxic
- For ages 7 and above
- Adult supervision is recommended.
Let your budding chemist role play with this huge and colorful lab station that has fun activities, including fizzy reactions, oozing bubbles, colorful chromatography, and so much more. The kit comprises 57 pieces, including beakers, test tubes, flasks, and pipettes, to help you perform over 20 experiments. The chemistry set for kids includes non-hazardous chemicals and is backed with scientific explanations in a 16-page color manual. It also comes with 10 printed chemistry experiment cards for kids that can be clipped onto the lab station for easy reference so your child will get a more realistic and educational experience. You can also check this YouTuber’s detailed review to know more about the results after using this product.
- Safe and educational
- Combinable lab station
- Functional lab
- Does not contain borax
- Intermediate skill level
- The color dye that comes with the set may not be washable.
This tried-and-tested science kit comes with useful tools like a beaker, magnifying glass, and a pack of activity cards that your child can use as prompts on his journey to learning more about chemistry. The beginner chemistry kit for kids is ideal if you want to stimulate your child’s curiosity about chemistry by encouraging them to take on simple projects and developing skills like agenda-setting and problem-solving. You can nurture your child’s intellectual capacities and promote STEM learning as they explore a chemist’s world. The skill-building kit also comes with a lab coat and customizable scientist name badge to add to the reality of the experience.
- Comes with a scientific manual
- Ideal for children aged 6 years and above
- Encourages STEM education
- Strong practical ability
- Includes lab coats, name tags, and clipboard for a realistic experience
- You will require supplies that do not come with this set to proceed with the experiments.
Try out some simple chemistry experiments at home with regular items from the kitchen. Ask your child to help you out and encourage them to use equipment from their chemistry kits to perform or complete an experiment.
This fantastic science chemistry set enables 45 different experiments for your child to try. By using simple everyday household items, this STEM chemistry kit for kids will give your child the chance to understand scientific processes and experiments. If you want to keep your little one busy for hours, you can choose this entertaining, kid-friendly chemistry set for kids with easy-to-follow instructions. Whether creating a glowing test tube or building bouncing polymers, your child will have loads of fun experimenting as they build their love for chemistry.
- Bonus at-home experiments
- Learn the science behind chemical reactions
- Detailed manual
- Enhances realistic roleplay
- Hands-on kit
- High-quality product
- It may not be as fascinating for older kids.
The Wild! Science Test Tube Chemistry Lab set for children will encourage your child to explore chemistry like never before. You can watch them explore water, acids, and gases as they turn their playroom into an imaginary chemist’s lab. The 50 experiments not only keep them busy but also promote stem learning with comfort and ease. This safety-tested chemistry experiment set for kids has been created by real scientists and includes instructions and full-color illustrations for every step of the way. You can supervise your kids as they play alone or with their friends and watch them be fascinated by the experiments that they conduct.
- Ideal for children between ages 8 to 12 years
- Components come in resealable containers
- Helps kids to develop logical and analytical thinking
- Learn about emulsion, diffusion, density, and more!
- It might require incorporating a few household items to get the experiments to work.
This make-your-own slime lab kit is a great way to get your children to have fun and learn something new at the same time. The 100% kid-safe and the toxic-free set is ASTM-tested and approved. The giftable lab set encourages your child to form bonds with their peers as they learn more. They can conduct 5 different slime experiments and learn about purifying, thickening, congealing, amorphous solids, and so much more. With easy-to-use ingredients and step-by-step instructions, your child will learn more about visual perception and STEM learning with this expert-approved chemistry discovery kit for kids.
- A step-by-step video tutorial is available
- Ideal for ages 5 to 10
- Sparks creativity and boosts self-esteem
- Promotes interaction with peers or parents
- Not enough tools to repeat the experiment twice.
If you want to get your child excited about the nitty-gritty of science and chemistry, then this hands-on learning science experiment kit is a good choice. Watch them make bubbling lava, causing chemicals to change color, and use fundamental scientific tools for chemical experiments. They can follow the easy instructions from the 22-page activity guide as they experience hands-on learning to build their confidence. You can use this chemistry learning kit for kids to introduce key principles of chemistry and practice scientific methods of rationalizing as your kid asks questions, tests a hypothesis, analyzes data, and draws conclusions. The various tools like test tubes, beaker, graduated cylinder, funnel, and more are perfect for STEM learning and reward your child’s curiosity.
- Ideal for scientifically-curious kids
- Step-by-step guide available
- Hands-on experiments that build confidence
- Increases experimentation and observation skills
- Reusable tools
- Kid-friendly kit
- Only ideal for children up to six years and may seem unrealistic to older kids.
Along with a chemistry kit, you can also get your child a chemistry book that is suitable for their age to help them learn more about different concepts related to chemistry.
This beginner’s chemistry set for kids includes 12 activity cards and high-quality tools that come equipped with an easy-to-follow guide for your young one. The entry-level chemistry set includes goggles, a clipboard, and safe chemicals, and more so that you can watch your child perform exciting experiments. The science kit is advantageous and comes with a bonus certificate of excellence award that you can present when your child finishes conducting all the experiments. The set has test tubes, beakers, notepads, goggles, Petri dishes, pipettes, storage containers, and more to give your child a truly enriching experience.
- Comes with the periodic table
- Safe experiments
- High-quality tools
- Wipe-clean storage lab pad
- Great giftable option
- Fewer chemicals may make the set seem slightly easier and suitable for younger children
The starter chemistry kit by MEL contains two chemistry boxes with over 75 science experiments for your children. Children can safely engage in DIY experiments and projects or have endless fun at home with these. This chemistry safety kit for kids includes virtual reality glasses and 71 lab equipment that can be reused because they are made of high-grade materials for long-lasting use. The instructions can be easily followed by children and let them explore fun science experiments.
- Download MEL VR apps for 70 plus video tutorials
- Suitable gift option
- Promotes creativity
- Gloves, cups, and protective glasses to ensure safety
- Projector image may not be satisfactory to some
- Parental supervision may be required
Give your child an exciting hands-on learning experience as they conduct exciting experiments that bubble, bounce, slime, grow, and turn your home into a real science lab. The nine unique and engaging science activities will challenge curious kids who have the scope for critical thinking. The Crystals & Slime Kit will teach your child fundamental STEM skills and give them more to think about as they engage in making slime that oozes, gooey cheese, bouncing balls, fizzing foam, and four distinct kinds of crystals. This chemistry project kit for kids comes with test tubes, beakers, Petri dishes, measuring spoons, and other supplies.
- Include plastic lab equipment
- Easy to use
- Safe and sturdy
- Washable and stress-free cleaning
- Includes fun study guides
- Requires adult supervision
Encourage the little scientist in your child with this chemistry set from Thames and Kosmos. It contains over 333 experiences, allowing your child to explore and discover the world of chemistry outside of books. It covers various topics and helps children understand chemical equations, atomic structures, and chemical bonding easily and interestingly. Suitable for ages 12 and above, this safety-tested kit will help your child learn and love chemistry.
- Includes high-quality lab equipment
- Includes a Bunsen burner
- Comes with a manual of 191 pages
- Explanations are clear and insightful
- May require additional household supplies and chemicals
- Parental supervision may be required
There’s no better feeling than watching your child enjoy their playtime with the added benefits of learning while they play. Get your child away from screen-time and encourage them to conduct chemical experiments. With this set, they can make fire-resistant balloons that explode, an underwater volcano, sticky molecules, density layers, extinguish a flame, test PH, and more! STEM kits, like this one, bring science projects to life for young kids through simple hands-on activities. The colorful, fact-filled lab guide that comes with this chemistry set for kids is packed with graphics and information for hours of fun in their home science lab!
- Suitable for 8 years and older
- Easy to follow
- Ideal for school fairs or projects
- Requires parental guidance
- Not ideal for a beginner
That brings us to the end of the 15 best chemistry sets for kids that are available in the market. Now all you’ve got to do is pick one that best suits your preferences and your child’s interests. If you are still wondering how to make the best buying choice, our guide might help you.
How To Choose The Right Kids’ Chemistry Set?
Here is a buying guide with pointers to help you choose the right chemistry set for your child.
- Types of equipment: When choosing the best chemistry sets for kids, you will definitely want to make sure that you get all the right chemistry equipment sets for children that goes into making the whole experience more realistic and fun.
Nothing is more frustrating than getting your little one enthusiastic about an experiment only to discover that you don’t have a beaker or pipette.
- Age group: Most of the chemistry kits for kids are geared toward older children because they are slowly but steadily developing an interest in scientific thinking, but there are a few that are developed exclusively for toddlers and younger kids. While the age range is occasionally included for safety reasons, it is also sometimes included because the information may be oriented toward older children.
- Parental supervision and other extra requirements: Most chemical experiments in these sets are easy and the equipment is non-toxic. But they still may require adult supervision and you will want to take this into consideration when you are getting a set for your child. Beginner level sets may not require supervision, but more complex ones that include the use of ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, water, or salt may require you to keep an eye on. Some experiments may also have other requirements and household things, so you can make sure to help them out.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced content writer and editor with an interest in children’s products, toys, and gifts. She is passionate about writing for products that aim to improve children’s lives and make learning more fun. Here she highlights the best chemistry sets for kids that are engaging, informative and will nurture your little ones’ interest in science, critical thinking, and logical reasoning. Moreover, the article also has a buying guide section consisting of the different factors you should consider before making a choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How young can children start doing chemistry experiments?
Children as young as five can pursue their interest in chemistry as long as they have parental supervision. While they may seem rather young to decide their interests, these scientific experiments can enhance their abilities including, critical thinking, reasoning, problem-solving, and more.
2. What are the benefits of chemistry sets?
Chemistry sets for children can go a long way in encouraging critical thinking and interactive play. One of the primary benefits is that it promotes STEM learning through experimentation. You can use science-based kits like these chemistry ones to enhance problem-solving skills and teamwork.
3. Can adults use chemistry kits designed for kids?
Yes, adults can use chemistry kits designed for kids. As adults, you can spend quality time with your children by doing experiments from the chemistry kit, as the kits are a mix of fun and practical learning.
4. Are chemistry sets safe for kids?
Chemistry sets usually have age-appropriate experiments and tools, making them safe for children. However, children should use the kits under parental supervision as the sets can have materials such as slime, glassware, and chemicals that can be toxic or a choking hazard.
While many children dread science or are not interested in the subject, there are ways to teach them that are fun and interesting. Chemistry is best taught through practical experiments as the children can actively take part and see the changes happen. The products included in our list of the best chemistry sets for kids come with all the components necessary to conduct an informative science experiment. Before purchasing the right kit, ensure it contains all the parts, including beakers or pipettes, a user guide, and more. You can check if the kit is age-appropriate and not too complex to engage your children. However, ensure these experiments are performed under adult supervision for optimal safety.
Infographic: How Can Using Chemistry Kits Help Children?
Chemistry sets can be a great way to introduce children to the fascinating world of chemistry. With the help of these kits, children can learn about the structure of molecules, the properties of different elements, and the reactions between different substances. Some kits also offer opportunities to carry out easy experiments. Read on to learn more about the benefits of using chemistry sets.
- Best Educational Toys For Kids
- Best Toy Cars For 5-Year-Old Kids
- Best Card Games For Kids
- Best PS3 Games For Kids