It can be challenging for parents to control their toddlers when they begin to crawl and walk. Hence, many parents opt for traditional techniques to restrain and control their children. To ensure your child’s safety, you may purchase the best child leashes. These leashes often come in handy when walking with your children outdoors.
As some children are more difficult to control than others, you must take extra care to avoid injuries. Is using a leash recommended? This necessitates a conversation. Continue reading this post to learn whether or not you should use a child leash and how to use one securely. We also provide you with a list of the finest child leashes you can buy online.
Our Top Picks
Should You Leash Your Children?
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children should not be attached to ropes or leashes or such equipment as these can strangle them (1).
Having a leash on your child is a topic of debate. Some psychologists and parents are against using a leash on the children and argue that it is demeaning and violates child rights. They suggest that one should teach them good manners instead of leashing. On the other hand, some parents do not mind putting a leash for good reasons, such as to control their hyperactive child or for safety reasons.
Parents know what is better for their children. If you are in a dilemma, then knowing the side effects and safety measures of using a child leash could help you make the right decision for your child.
Reasons You May Want To Use A Child Leash
In some scenarios, putting a leash on your child does not seem to be unjust.
- Multiple children: It could be challenging for a parent to manage more than one child at a time. Shopping or strolling in the park with them running around seems unmanageable, especially when they are too young. In such a case, a child leash could help keep them together with you.
- Children with special needs: An impulsive child or one with special needs may not be able to follow your instructions at times. Having a protective harness could keep your little one safe and away from any dangerous situations.
- Active or running child: If your child tends to run away and doesn’t like to be in one place, even in dangerous situations like on the road, then a leash could help you keep them in check and close to you at every moment.
- Crowded or not-so-safe places: Amusement parks, shopping malls, or large gatherings are some places where there is a risk of losing your child. Areas closer to a lake, pond, or any other water body, and those situated at height are not safe for your children.
And it is not always possible to hold them in arms for as long as you are at such places. That is when a leash could be useful in keeping them safe.
If you think it is a good idea to use a leash, then make sure that you are choosing the right type of leash to keep your child close to you. A wrong one may harm the child instead of being useful.
Side Effects Of Leashing Your Child
Some of the side effects of using a leash on the child could include:
- Putting a leash more often than required, may not be psychologically right for children. Do it only if you have a valid reason.
- Wrist strap or wrist leash could be irritating for a child, as they may rub against the wrist and cause rashes.
- Pulling the leash suddenly could be risky. It could result in a catch or dislocate the child’s shoulder or elbow.
- Not being careful when the child is on a leash could increase the risk of injury due to strangulation.
- Low-quality and rough material used to make the leash could harm the child and irritate their skin.
Safety Measures When Leashing Your Child
Following some safety precautions would keep your child protected when on a leash.
- It is important to explain to the child why a leash is being used. Also, you should be considerate and not use it when not necessary or to punish the child.
- Select a quality leash that provides a firm grip to the child’s body. A backpack harness or a safety harness could be considered.
- Check the specifications of the leash. The design should be kid-friendly and should have adjustable straps.
- Pick harnesses that offer freedom to move around.
- In any case, if your child doesn’t want to wear it, do not force
- Do listen to your child when they say they are not comfortable with the leash.
Next, we list some of the best child leashes that you may consider buying if you see the need for one.
11 Best Child Leashes
Designed in the shape of animals, this backpack-style safety harness lets you keep the child close to you, and also doubles as a backpack with space to store toys. It is made of soft fabric that provides comfort to the child. The harness is recommended for children aged 18 months and above.
- Has detachable strap
- Discreet and slim pocket
- Long and child-friendly harness
- Comes in two animal shapes – pig and panda
- Leash could be too small in length
- May not be as shown in picture
It is a simple and safe harness that helps to keep your little one close to you. It is convenient to wear and does not cause any discomfort to your child. It is versatile and supports the torso by fitting well. It can also be washed in the machine.
- Adjustable strap length from 30 to 42in
- Fits chest sizes from 14 to 25.5in
- Strap does not go low on a child’s stomach, stays at chest height
- Strap may rub on the child’s skin
- Velcro may come off easily
Designed in the shape of Mickey Mouse, this cute harness is made using skin-friendly cotton material. It comes with a long strap and high-quality buckle. It is convenient and keeps your child with you always, keeping them safe.
- 3in leash length
- Lightweight and secure
- Freely adjustable straps
- May not be suitable for younger children
You may use it as a wrist leash or a harness leash as per your and the child’s convenience. It has an anti-lost feature, and the wrist straps are made of quality material that is padded to be soft on your wrist. The harness leash is available in pink and blue.
- Safe, durable, and skin-friendly
- The material is anti-friction and breathable
- Two-meter extendable chain
- Promotes 360-degree rotation
- Straps can be adjusted as per convenience
- Coil leash may not be useful for some
The butterfly-shaped colorful child leash is made of quality nylon and cotton material. It is designed to be used as a child wrist leash or as a harness leash. It is easy to use and has a safety buckle for the little one’s safety.
- Fits well for young children
- Strap is made of high-quality material
- Adjustable and detachable strap
- Leash may be shorter
- May not have cushioned wrist band
The leash is designed with adjustable straps and a comfortable cushion. It also has an anti-lock feature, which could be used when needed. The leash is 6.6ft long and is available in pink and green. It is sturdy and made of quality materials such as plastic and stainless steel.
- Upgraded key lock function
- Comfortable and safe
- Made of soft and breathable cushion
- Adjustable shoulder straps for safety
- 360-degree rotation promotes free movement
- Coil as leash may cut down stability.
- May not last long.
Made of soft and good quality material, this is a simple harness designed for a child’s safety. It can be easily and conveniently put on the child without harming them. The durable child leash and harness keeps your child close to you when you are outdoors, minimizing the risk of them getting lost.
- Lightweight and durable
- Convenient to use
- Simple yet comforting design
- Leash may be too thin
The cutely designed harness leash is made of high-quality material such as nylon and cotton. It comes with an easy-to-use clip feature, anti-lock function, and a 51-inch leash. It is suitable for children who are between the ages of one and five. The harness is safe for children.
- Adjustable straps for comfort
- Leash in coil and strap form
- Has 360-degree rotary connector
- Offers freedom and safety to the child
- May not be suitable for young babies
The two-in-one harness provides you a leash harness and a backpack to your child. It is colorful and bright in design and keeps your child comfortable. It is made using high-quality material and comes in different designs including, fox, dinosaur, dog, and unicorn.
- Freely adjustable straps
- Leash provides better stability
- Mini backpack to keep toys or books
- May not be suitable for younger children
Here’s an adorable backpack with a leash that has been designed to resemble the face of a cute little demon. The backpack has a wrist strap attached to it for better stability and has a safety harness clip to keep a check on the tether strap from tangling. The bag has a zippered compartment for storing a sippy cup, snacks, and even clothes. It comes with a clean surface and lining and is easy to wipe clean. Further, the backpack is available in two colors and is lightweight and sturdy. Your children can carry this backpack for weekend trips, play dates, and school.
- Unisex design
- Suitable for gifting
- Lightweight and easy to clean
- Quality zippers
- Clasp may not be durable
The pink backpack-style child leash is made up of high-quality materials such as knitted belt, soft knitted cotton, and steel wire. You can use the leash to keep your child safe with you, while your child can store their valuables. It is durable and functional too.
- Anti-lost belt measures 1.5m
- Thick cushioned wrist strap
- Adjustable straps for comfort
- Flexible with 360-degree rotation
- Buckles may not snap in properly
How To Choose The Right Child Leash?
Follow these tips when choosing a leash for your child.
- Try not to select a wrist leash. Instead, go for a back harness or backpack leash. These options are safer.
- Look for a leash that has cushions and pads that keep the child comfortable.
- Find leashes that are easy to use and easy to remove.
- Choose a leash that is designed attractively so that your child likes it. It could be in a butterfly or a cartoon design.
- Do not get a leash that is made with rough materials. These may hurt your child.
- The strap should be long enough to allow your child to move around.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, our trusted and experienced writer and reviewer of children’s products, tells you all you need to know about buying and using child leashes in this post. She brings you this list of the best child leashes after analyzing and comparing several products to help you pick the right one. The options listed here are made of safe, durable, and skin-friendly materials and are adjustable.
Child leashes are handy tools that ensure you have your eyes on your little child while giving them the freedom to move around. It becomes imperative to use a child leash in crowded places such as amusement parks, shopping malls, and movie theaters, so you are aware and in control of your child’s movement. When choosing an ideal child leash for your little one, opt for a harness instead of a wrist leash as it is safer and less hurtful. Further, ensure it is durable, is cushioned for comfort, and has an attractive design.