Citronella essential oil is extracted from the stem and leaves of the Cymbopogon plant, which is used for its aroma, helping you feel better and deal with exhaustion. The extract is also utilized as an organic and natural insect and mosquito repellant in several areas. The best Citronella candles can be used at home to create a relaxing atmosphere while also keeping mosquitoes at bay, or they can even be carried to all evening gatherings at home or on outings.
Aside from that, the plant’s essential oil has also been used to treat rashes on the skin (as an antifungal agent), parasite infections, and other skin problems. In this post, take a look at some of the best Citronella candles you can use regularly.
13 Best Citronella Candles
These come in a pack of 12 citronella scented candles, which come in a small galvanized bucket-like container. The wax buckets make them a great decorative piece for indoor and outdoor use. While it keeps the mosquitoes away, its natural flame provides the perfect light that is needed for evening events.
- Has a fresh citronella scent
- Long-lasting burning capacity of 15 hours
- Creates the perfect warm light for evening gatherings
- The size might be seemingly small for some
One of the best candles with natural citronella scent, these are 100% soy wax candles with 100% lead-free wick. Also, they come in travel-friendly tins, which measure 4.4oz and burn for a good 40 hours. The dimensions include L13*H5cm. These candles are perfect for stress-relief.
- These are good for aromatherapy
- Eco-friendly candles made with soy wax
- Portable tins make it easy to carry
- The product is smokeless
- The smell might be quite mild for some
Infused with Citronella oil, these good-smelling candles come in soy wax buckets. Available in a pack of 12, these candles are smokeless and can be placed both indoors and outdoors and will not leave any fumes. The wicks make the candles dripless.
- Come in a good-looking Tinplate bucket.
- Are smokeless.
- The wax bucket is great for decoration
- The smell is too mild
These fragrant citronella candles come in a large 1-pound soy candle wax. Being large makes them quite long-lasting, especially in terms of burning for a continuous 80 hours. The large wax candle holds three wicks, to provide sufficient light and the citronella aroma can shoo the mosquitoes away during evenings.
- Made with natural soy wax and 100% organic cotton wicks
- Safe and gentle for indoor and outdoor usage
- Long, 80 hours burning capacity
- Great as a gift
- For some, the candle may not work in warding off mosquitoes
This citronella candle is infused with citronella oil and green citrus, making it a fragrant candle. The scented candle comes in a bowl, with dimensions L13*H5. The naturally biodegradable, eco-friendly pure wax candle weighs 330 grams. Van Gogh’s painting print over the candle makes it a unique decorative piece.
- Beautifully infused with the fresh scent of citronella and citrus
- Smokeless and doesn’t give harmful fumes
- The beautiful print over the candle makes it decorative
- Keeps mosquitoes away
- The size might seem a little small for some
The strong citronella scented candle is made with essential oils and soy/beeswax blend. This high concentration makes it effective in keeping the mosquitoes away. With a burning capacity of 30 hours, this decorative citronella candle is perfect for all kinds of events. It is packaged in 9oz recyclable tin.
- Rich concentration of peppermint, rosemary, lemongrass, citronella, cedarwood, and soybean oil.
- The strong concentration of oils makes it effective in mosquito protection
- Has a pleasant smell
- Long-lasting, 30 hours burning capacity
- Not effective for outdoor mosquito protection for some
This is one of the best mosquito repellant candles. This citronella candle comes in a green container of 20-Ounce, which is quite convenient to be kept anywhere, whether indoors or outdoors. The container is portable and can be carried to any place. Effective in repelling mosquitoes, it can burn for up to 40 hours.
- Comes in a portable container
- Has 40 hours burning capacity
- Real citronella oil in the candles wards off mosquitoes
- Not effective for the value
- May not last long
These citronella candles come in 4.4oz portable travel cans. These four scented citronella candles are made of soy wax. The refreshing citronella smell calms the mind and acts as a stress-buster. The beautiful print on the tin cans makes it ideal for gifting or for being used as a home décor.
- Comes in lightweight tin cans
- The strong citronella smell makes it good for aromatherapy
- Made with natural soy wax and pure cotton wick
- The amount, 130 grams of the candle, allow it to burn for a longer period of time
- The wax melts and the smell evaporates quite soon
- The size might seem small for some
This attractive Citronella candle lantern looks rustic for both outdoor and indoor décor. This 6.7 oz citronella candle burns for 70 hours and keeps bugs like mosquitoes at bay. Whether camping or any other outdoor adventurous trip, the lantern design keeps up the mood and keeps away the night pecks.
- Can burn for 70 hours at a stretch
- Comes with a reusable cap that protects from rain and debris
- Citronella oil keeps mosquitoes at bay
- The glass container/lantern might break outdoors during heavy winds.
This decorative citronella candle comes in a coarse pottery container, which has three wicks inside natural soy wax. The whole look and feel of the product make it a perfect decorative item for outdoor and indoor events. The pure citronella oil infused soy wax candles have 100% cotton wicks in it.
- Contains pure citronella oil to keep mosquitoes at bay
- Comes in a handmade, lead-free lamp form
- Contains pure soy wax and 100% cotton wicks
- The coarse pot makes it effective for heat insulation and heat dissipation
- Smell is not so strong or pleasant
These citronella scented candles come in a bulk pack of 72 candles. When placed in glass holders, they make the whole look of the candles mesmerizing. These yellow candles, made in high-quality paraffin wax, emanate fresh citrus smell. The dimensions of each candle are 1.5 inches in diameter and 1.25 inches in height.
- Come in a pack of 72, hence good for large gatherings
- When placed in holders, can brighten up the décor
- Made of pure paraffin wax
- The fresh citrus smell makes it quite pleasant
- They burn up to 10 hours
- They tend to drip
This pine-scented citronella candle is packed in one 6oz tin can is an effective one. With a wooden crackle wick, it burns for up to 25 hours. It’s great for using outdoors as it can effectively keep the mosquitoes at bay.
- Pleasant pine scent
- The wick when burns gives a crackling wooden sound
- Perfect for outdoors like camping etc.
- Long-lasting with a capacity of 25 hours burning
- Small and not so effective in warding off mosquitoes at times
This citronella scented candle is infused with real citronella oil and with vanilla and lavender. It’s available in other fragrances like cinnamon spice, fresh rain, sweet cedar and tropical oasis, honeysuckle and lilac, as well as unscented. It comes in an 11oz boxed container with frosted glass.
- Made with real citronella oil
- Available in a range of fragrances
- Packed in a container with beautiful frosted glass
- Adds an attractive glow, which is good for outdoors.
- Burns for 30 hours
- The wick inside the wax is not of great quality
How To Choose The Right Citronella Candles?
- Citronella oil: It is important that the candles have a good concentration of citronella oil as they ensure that the candles are effective in keeping mosquitoes and bugs away.
- Blended with other essential oils: Other than citronella oil, the candles should have other aromatic oils to make it smell nice.
- Dripless wick: To ensure that the candles burn nicely, for a longer time, the wicks should be dripless.
How Does Citronella Act As An Insect Repellant?
The pungent odor of citronella acts as a repellent. The oil extracted from the lemongrass specie plant can work to ward off mosquitoes in two ways. One is through the application of oil, and the second is through infusers.
The oil, which is an active ingredient in repellents, irritates the mosquitoes and prevents them from coming towards the source of the smell. It is believed that it masks the carbon dioxide and lactic acid scent that the mosquitoes like.
Citronella-based repellants are available in several forms, including incense sticks, sprays, and even bracelets.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah specializes in household products, electronics, and books. His passion for providing detailed information to his readers drives him to create original articles. After referring to many websites and online reviews, Wedetso has curated a list of the best citronella candles that smell heavenly and keep mosquitoes away. You may read about each product in detail along with its pros and cons. Furthermore, you can browse the buying guide with helpful tips and answers to some frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do citronella candles deter insects, or do they kill them?
The strong smell of citronella is repulsive for insects and mosquitoes and prevents them from coming closer to the area infused with the aroma. The extracts are thus helpful in keeping mosquitoes away and not killing them.
2. How safe are citronella candles to use?
The US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) recognizes citronella oil as safe for use. As long as the candle or products are used as instructed, they may not be harmful (1).
3. Should I take citronella candles with me when traveling to an area where mosquitoes are prevalent?
Citronella candles might not be effective in open spaces with strong winds. When traveling to an area infested with mosquitoes, one should carry mosquito sprays or light traps to electrocute the bugs.
4. What bugs do citronella candles repel?
Citronella candles may help repel certain species of mosquitoes, sandflies, ticks, fleas, black flies, and other flies to some extent. However, no extensive studies have been conducted to determine what bugs citronella scent can repel.
An easy and aromatic way to keep pests away is by purchasing the best citronella candles. These candles are made using citronella essential oil, and their scent naturally repels mosquitoes and insects. Citronella candles can also set a lively ambience and light up your day. However, there are certain factors one must consider before purchasing the ideal candle. These factors include a high concentration of citronella oil blended with other essential oils for a pleasing and pleasant fragrance and the dripless wicks to make the candle long-lasting.
- Citronella (Oil of Citronella)
- Best Jewelry Candles
- Best Homesick Candles That Make You Feel Connected
- Best Flameless Candles That Create A Relaxing Ambience
- Best Candle Making Kits For Crafting At Home