As your child grows up, they will be surrounded by plenty of toys, some of which are useful while others are just fun. One meaningful toy you can get them is a climbing toy. The best climbing toys for toddlers enable them to channel their hyperactive energy in a safe environment.
These skill-building and entertaining toys are designed to help toddlers become more flexible and agile without being exposed to danger. So take a look at our list of the top climbing toys for active toddlers that can provide hours of fun while aiding in the development of physical skills.
11 Best Climbing Toys For Toddlers To Boost Motor Skills In 2023
1. Best Easy-To-Assemble: Step2 Game Time Sports Climber and Slide
The toddler climbing toy features four toys in one. The durable toys include climbing stairs, a slide, a basketball hoop, and a crawl-through space. Check out this product testing video to learn more about this toddler climbing equipment.
- Edges of the toy are rounded to keep the toddlers safe
- Brightly colored
- Assembling the components of the toy is simple and does not require tools
- Excellent climbing toy for gross motor development
- Suitable for two to six age range
- May be a bit flimsy
- Instructions may not be clear
2. Best Easy-To-Clean: Constructive Playthings Vinyl Soft Play Forms
Tested by reviewers, the playset has five pieces of three-dimensional shapes made of soft material, giving each block a pillow-like consistency, making it one of the best climbing toys for young children. The foam climbing blocks can be arranged to create a toy that the toddler can climb.
- One block is shaped as a climbing ramp, which makes climbing easy
- Soft material of the climbing blocks reduces the risk of injury
- Blocks are heavy-duty and easy to clean
- Helps enhance creativity
- Might be smaller than you expect
- Pieces may not hold together
3. Best For Indoors: Avenlur Magnolia Indoor Playground 6-in-1 Jungle Gym
Suitable for children up to six years of age, this parent-recommended six-in-one playground is manufactured from sturdy varnished wood. Being one of the best indoor toddler climbing toys, it can help children develop gross motor skills, including carrying, stacking, and lifting. The box includes mini rock climbing walls, a wooden ladder and swing, a Swedish slide, a rope ladder, and monkey bars.
- Helps improve muscle strength and coordination
- Can improve balancing
- Easy and quick to assemble
- Long-lasting design
- Suitable for two to six age range
- Ropes may not provide a proper grip
- Rock wall pieces may be hard
4. Best For Climbing: Eezy Peezy Monkey Bars Climbing Tower
Here’s a toddler climbing toy suitable for indoor and outdoor play, and the plastic material offers UV protection to prevent damage due to extended exposure to sunlight. This monkey bar comes disassembled as a set of plastic tubes and connectors. Take a look at this video link to get more information on the entertaining product.
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Once assembled, it stays rigidly in its place
- Weight capacity of 150lb
- Assembly might be challenging
- Metal clips may not be durable
5. Best For Sliding: Simplay3 Young Explorers Adventure Climber
Your toddler can enjoy climbing, sliding, and crawling with this toy. The plastic material is durable, sturdy, and resistant to UV damage, which makes the tried-and-tested toddler climbing toy suitable for outdoor use too. Plus, the crawl-through tunnel-like structure offers hours of fun.
- Slide is wider than usual and features side rails that provide a secure grip to the child
- Small space within the toy acts as a “driving seat” where little ones can play with an attached plastic steering wheel and dashboard
- Bright colors make the toy attractive
- Rounded edges ensure safety
- Might be small
- May not be easy to assemble
6. Best For Easy Storage: Lil’ Monkey Everest Jungle Gym
The Lil’ Monkey toddler climbing toy includes plastic tubes, connectors, and a slide. The durable tubes and connectors join to form the frame, and the entire climbing frame can be folded in a few seconds for easy storage.
- Slide can be attached and removed depending on whether or not the toddler wants to play with it
- Made of durable material—polypropylene plastic
- Resistant to damage from UV rays
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- May not come with instructions
- May be slightly wobbly
7. Best For Crawling: Step2 Play Ball Fun Climber With Slide For Toddlers
Step2 Play Ball Fun Climber for kids contains a slide, which is of the right size for young toddlers. This age-appropriate climbing structure is designed to allow toddlers to crawl through the frame. The side of the toy features a ball maze where the ball slides in a zig-zag pattern to eventually land into a tray beneath.
- Toy ships with ten play balls
- Painted in bright colors to attract toddlers
- Helps enhance cognitive development
- Helps develop sensory skills
- Promotes physical activity
- Might not be easy to assemble
- Slide is slightly short
8. Best For Imaginative Play: ECR4Kids Pirate Play Boat
This toy is shaped like the deck of a pirate ship and has a movable wheel, a pirate insignia, and a plastic flag to give your child a realistic pirate ship experience and improve their imagination. It is brightly colored to attract children and is suitable for playschools, child care centers, outdoors, and more. A small ladder allows the child to climb up to the deck where the flag and the wheel are located. The parent-recommended outdoor toddler climbing toy consists of several panels, which are easy for parents to assemble.
- Large deck for multiple children to play
- Weather- and fade-resistant design
- Rounded edges for safety
- Greenguard Gold-certified
- May have to be anchored for stability
- Some pieces may seem flimsy
9. Best Versatile: Little Tikes Hide And Seek Climber
Little Tikes versatile climbing toy comes with a slide and a swing, both attached to the same frame. The seat of the swing comes with a three-point harness for the safety of the toddler.
- Slide has a gentle slope for soft landings
- Rounded edges of the toy minimize the risk of injury
- Swing and its support wall are removable
- Can improve social skills via group play
- Easy to assemble
- Safe climbing toy
- Swing may be slightly low
- Might be wobbly
10. Best With Safety Zone: Step2 Panda Climber
Step2 brings you this climbing toy that has a ladder on the side and a deck at the end of the ladder, which provides a safety zone where the toddler can sit. The slide has rounded edges for safety and a soft landing each time, making it a trusted choice.
- Safety rail works as a barrier at the back of the deck
- Space below the frame allows the little one to crawl through it
- Easy to clean
- Long-lasting construction
- Might be smaller than you expect
- Screws might be slightly sharp
11. Best For Improving Balance: Little Tikes Junior Play Slide
The time-tested slide by Little Tikes has wide steps and a stable base for safety. It has a weight holding capacity of 50lb and can be used to enhance the development of balance in little ones.
- Play slide is easy to fold and unfold
- Does not require any tools for installation
- Durable plastic
- No rough edges
- Slide may be slightly steep for young children
- May not be ideal for outdoor use
How To Choose The Right Climbing Toy For Your child?
Here is a list of factors to consider when choosing a suitable climbing toy for your child.
- Age: While considering any toy, it is essential to keep your child’s age in mind. Check the manufacturer’s age recommendations to find one suitable for your child.
- Space: Consider the space where you wish to install the climbing toy. If you have ample outdoor space, you can pick a bigger climbing toy with various features, while a smaller one would be suitable for limited indoor space.
- Safety: Ensure the toy is made of soft, non-toxic, and durable materials for optimal safety. It should not have sharp edges and should be well-balanced and have a non-slip base to prevent it from toppling over. Check its maximum weight capacity to ensure it is suitable for your child.
- Developmental milestone: Choose a climbing toy that helps enhance your child’s motor skills, hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, cognitive skills, and more to reach their developmental milestones.
Safety Precautions To Take While Using Climbing Toys
Keep in mind the following three safety precautions about climbing toys for toddlers:
- Check for sturdiness: The materials of the toy must be durable. Check the rigidity of the joints and all the connected parts after you have assembled it.
- Avoid toys with sharp edges: Sharp-edged toys may be potential hazards and may cause injury in the case of a fall. Toys with rounded and smooth edges are safer.
- Discard once the toddler outgrows the toy: Once your toddler is beyond the weight limit of the climbing toy, then discard the toy even if it is in good condition. The toy could collapse or topple over a toddler if they are heavier than the toy.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is experienced at reviewing toys and knows fun ways to let toddlers have an engaging time at home. You can bring the playground home and boost your children’s metabolism indoors by choosing the best climbing toys for toddlers from this list of products with exceptional user reviews. Priti’s has done intensive research to bring you toys of various designs, colors, sizes, and features to suit your toddler’s taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is climbing beneficial for toddlers?
Your baby, by 18 months, learns to climb on or off the chairs (1). Climbing helps toddlers build muscles and enhance their physical strength and gross motor skill development. In addition, the children also learn balancing.
2. Are climbing toys safe?
Climbing toys are safe if they are free of sharp edges and meet toy safety standards.
3. What material should climbing toys be made of?
Consider climbing toys made of chemical-free, high-quality materials for optimal safety. They should be non-toxic, free of sharp edges, BPA-free, and well-designed.
Climbing toys help toddlers become more active and flexible. They boost the physical development of toddlers and nurture their adventurous spirit. While buying the best climbing toy, ensure that you go through its specifications and whether you want to use it indoors or outdoors. For instance, you could opt for the easy-to-assemble Step2 Game Time Sports Climber and Slide, the lightweight yet sturdy Avenlur Magnolia 6-in-1 Jungle Gym, or the vibrant and smooth-edged Simplay3 Young Explorers Adventure Climber. The height of the toy should always be convenient for the toddler to climb and make good use of it. Also, consider age-appropriate toys and their durability before making the purchase.
Infographic: How Do Children Benefit From Climbing?
Climbing may seem like a trivial or childish activity, but it can have a lot of mental and physical health benefits. Be it climbing rocks, climbing a tree, or climbing on an indoor toy, the physical movement involved in climbing can keep you active and rejuvenated. Read through the infographic to learn about the reasons to encourage climbing.
Have you purchased a climbing toy for your toddler? Do tell us about it in the comment section below.
- Best Stem Toys for Toddlers:
- Best Stuffed Animals for Babies & Toddlers:
- Best Bath Toys for Toddlers:
- Best Educational Toys for Toddlers: