People living in high-humidity areas can only understand the daily struggles accompanying it. Apart from the heat and constant sweating, the damage inflicted on electronic devices and household items can be infuriating. When it comes to wardrobes and cabinets, having the best closet dehumidifiers can be helpful as the presence of moisture can result in mold growth, fungal and bacterial infestations. This can result in a bad smell, potential infections, and hygiene issues.
A closet dehumidifier is a lifesaver. It’s been tested to absorb the excess moisture and keep your cabinet dry and clean. As a result, your clothes and belongings remain fresh and won’t attract fungal growth or a bad smell. In this post, we list some closet dehumidifiers recommended by home experts to help you choose.
Benefits Of Closet Dehumidifiers
- It reduces the moisture in the air in humid regions.
- It protects your clothes and fabric from mold.
- Certain items like electronics and musical instruments are prone to damage due to high moisture. These can be easily stored in a closet safely with the help of a dehumidifier.
- Damp closets often lead to a musty odor. Having a closet dehumidifier will eliminate such odors.
- Your closet can also be damaged due to the amount of moisture in the air. That may lead to water stains or water patches on your closet. A dehumidifier provides a moisture damage prevention solution to this problem.
- Having a dehumidifier helps keep you safe. Having mold in your closet is a problem for your clothes or closet and a potential health hazard.
Types Of Dehumidifiers For Closets
- Electrical dehumidifiers
As its name suggests, it depends upon electricity to operate. Simply put, it requires an electrical outlet and functions with or without the help of a compressor. Electrical dehumidifiers have numerous air ducts through which air is sucked in from the surrounding area. The moisture from the air is removed and trapped in a water tank. Apart from removing the water from the unit, this is a hassle-free and easy-to-use dehumidification method.
- Rechargeable dehumidifiers
These are also known as wireless or cordless dehumidifiers as they do not require continuous electrical power to operate. They are compact, lightweight, and portable units that are powered by silica gel crystals. These crystals slowly absorb moisture for around 30 days. These closet moisture removers usually have light indicators to signal when the crystals are full. These units are then recharged and used until the crystals are full.
- Battery-powered dehumidifiers
These dehumidifiers are similar to rechargeable ones but with a shortcoming. While they are battery-powered and run for 60 days or so, they also require a conscious battery change. Unfortunately, they are not rechargeable like rechargeable dehumidifiers.
- Moisture absorbers
These boxes absorb moisture from the air and serve the same purpose as dehumidifiers. They are dehumidifiers but are different in that they do not depend upon continuous electricity or batteries. They contain desiccant materials to absorb water effectively. However, these are used for smaller living spaces and cannot deal with serious moisture problems.
If you’ve been thinking of purchasing a closet dehumidifier, you’re in the right place. Here’s our list of the 11 best closet dehumidifiers.
11 Best Closet Dehumidifiers
1. Best Spill-Free: Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier
The Eva-Dry renewable mini-dehumidifier has a sleek, lightweight, and modern design that is made to keep your closets free from moisture. It is constructed to work best in areas up to 333 cubic feet. It can absorb over 6 oz of moisture and works for 20-30 days without recharging the silica gel beads. The cordless and battery-less design makes it hassle and clutter-free. The front of the dehumidifier has a color indicator to inform you when the silica moisture beads are at maximum capacity. It turns orange to green to warn you that the silica beads are full. This eco-friendly dehumidifier features a leak- and spill-free design and can also be used on boats, cabinets, gun safes, and vehicles. If you want a detailed review of the product, make sure to take a look at this video detailing a tester’s experience.
- Spill and mess-free
- Compact form factor
- Silent operation
- The receptacle might be prone to overheating
2. Best Lightweight: Pro Breeze Electric Dehumidifier
This mini dehumidifier by the brand Pro Breeze packs a punch with its capability of dehumidifying an area up to 2200 cubic feet. That makes it an efficient solution for large closets and small rooms. Much of the dehumidifier is constructed from hard plastic that is durable and reliable. It is equipped with an auto-shutoff functionality and is programmed to shut off once it is full. At this point, the LED light turns on, indicating that the water tank needs draining. Moreover, its large tank size allows it to hold up to 16 oz of water. The machine has an on and full indicator and a power switch for easy and quick operation. You can also check this detailed product testing and review on YouTube to know more about the product.
- Lightweight and portable design
- Compact size
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Energy efficient
- It may take a while to remove moisture.
3. Best Non-Electric: DampRid Hanging Dehumidifier Bag Moisture Absorber
The DampRid hanging dehumidifier bag moisture absorber is designed to eliminate all kinds of odors. The tried-and-tested dehumidifier bag attracts and traps excess moisture from the air and replaces musty odors with fresher and cleaner-smelling air with the built-in fragrance box. It lasts up to 60 days and can be hung in your closets and laundry rooms to protect your clothes and leather goods. Further, this easy-to-use odor-elimination dehumidifier is a convenient solution, as instead of batteries, it uses a time-release fragrance technology to maintain a steady release of pleasant scents.
- Dehumidifier without electricity
- Has a high absorption power
- Provides long-lasting fragrance
- Has an indicator line to monitor usage
- Some might find the smell overpowering
- May not be completely leak-proof
Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier
Pro Breeze Electric Dehumidifier
DampRid Hanging Bag Moisture Absorber
|Weight||1.2 Pounds||2.4 Pounds||1 Pounds|
|Dimensions||6.25"D x 1.25"W x 4.75"H||6"D x 6"W x 8.5"H||4.4"D x 9.25"W x 6"H|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Fragrance-Free: airBOSS Closet Dehumidifier
This simple closet dehumidifier by airBOSS is effective and highly functional. It is designed to remove excess moisture from small living spaces with no ventilation. It wicks through the use of powerful silica crystals that traps excess moisture and protects from mold, dampness, rust, and musty odor. The unit can absorb over 15 oz of moisture and is non-reusable. Given its effectiveness, it is ideal for small closets, bathrooms, lockers, and automobiles. According to the reviewers, this non-electric unit saves energy and is an ideal solution for places with high humidity. The moisture control dehumidifier is sold as a single unit and in packs of three and six.
- Compact size
- User-friendly design
- No spills
- It may not be ideal for larger spaces
5. Best Noiseless: Seavon Portable and Compact Dehumidifier
This dehumidifier by Seavon can store up to 27 oz of water, resulting in tremendous closet air quality improvement. The company makes use of Peltier technology for smooth and noiseless operation. The machine has a light indicator on the front that changes from green to red when the silica crystals are full. Thanks to its auto-shutoff feature, the unit shuts itself down when it reaches its maximum level. It is suitable for 22 and 260 sq ft, like closets, automobiles, kitchens, and bathrooms. This dehumidifier is controlled by a single button that makes it user-friendly and easy to operate.
- Low-noise operation
- Absorbs over 12 oz of moisture
- Compact size
- Wireless design
- The power cord may heat up while charging.
6. Best Auto Shut-Off: Tenergy Sorbi Mini Air Dehumidifier
Tenergy’s powerful and portable Sorbi mini air dehumidifier is suitable for dehumidifying compact living spaces. It’s been tested to dehumidify up to 300 ml a day in 80% humidity at 86℉. The easy-to-use and low-noise dehumidifier extracts moisture from the air to create a mold-free space. It also automatically shuts off when the water tank is full and has LED indicators that turn red when the water tank is full and green when the dehumidifier is running. The dehumidifier is easy to set up and comes with Tenergy’s two-year extended warranty.
- Can help in keeping away allergens
- Compact size
- Automatic shut-off function keeps the collected water from overflowing
- Easy to clean
- Some might find it smaller than expected
- LED indicators might be a little too bright
Keep your home and office moisture-free with the Pure Enrichment PureDry mini dehumidifier. With its high absorption rate, it can extract up to 10.1 ounces of moisture per day and effectively eliminate pests and allergens that thrive in damp environments. The LED light indicator provides an easy way to check the unit’s status–glowing green when the machine is on and red when the water tank is full–and its sleek and modern design makes it a stylish addition to any decor. Additionally, it features an auto-shutoff function that prevents the tank from overflowing.
- Removable water tank is easy to clean
- Easy-to-use one-button control
- Lightweight and portable
- Suitable for year-round use
- No-noise operation
- Certified safe
- Rubber feet for stability
- May be prone to occasional overheating
8. Best Portable: Hysure Portable Closet Dehumidifier
This dehumidifier by Hysure has a large tank size that can absorb up to 18 ounces of moisture per day. Given its capacity to absorb moisture, it is ideal for 220 sq ft rooms like bathrooms, kitchens, automobiles, and closets. It has a sleek and modern design with a power button and LED indicator that changes between green and yellow. The green light indicates that the unit is working, while the yellow light indicates that it is full. It has an auto-shutoff function that turns the machine off once it reaches its maximum moisture absorption capacity. Its powered by a DC adapter and consumes 45% less energy when compared to other electric dehumidifiers. The water tank is detachable, making it easy to clean this air moisture removal system. This is one of the best dehumidifiers for small and medium-size closets.
- Compact size
- One-button control
- 35 dB ultra-quiet operation
- It may not function as well if the humidity level is below 60%.
SnapSafe 110V dehumidifier is designed to protect your guns, firearms, and other belongings from rust and corrosion caused by excess humidity. It is perfect for use in small, enclosed spaces such as gun safes, closets, and pantries. The portable dehumidifier uses highly absorbent silica gel to attract excess humidity from the surroundings, helping maintain the overall condition of your valuables. The desiccant crystals within the dehumidifier change color from orange to green, indicating when it’s time to recharge. To recharge the unit, plug it in and dry out the crystals over the course of the day to ensure optimal closet humidity control when it is reused.
- Child- and pet-safe
- Battery-free operation
- Convenient humidity indicator
- Free of harmful chemicals
- May take time to charge fully
10. Best Easy Installation: Afolia Electric Small Dehumidifier
This dehumidifier by Afolia is designed to lower moisture levels in the surrounding area efficiently and quickly. It absorbs moisture from the air and ensures humidity reduction in the room or closet where it is placed. It is equipped with an 18 oz water tank that is easy to remove and install. As per reviews, this unit has been crafted keeping energy efficiency in mind and has an operating temperature of 59-86°F. It has a simple design with air ducts and an on and full tank indicator. The full tank indicator means that the water tank is full and needs to be emptied. Fortunately, it has an auto-shutoff function to prevent spillage when the water tank is full, making it an excellent choice. It is ideal for small to medium-sized living spaces, including closets, cabinets, kitchens, bathrooms, and automobiles.
- Whisper-quiet operation
- Absorbs nine ounces of moisture per day
- One button control
- Compact size and portable design
- It might be prone to occasional overheating.
11. Best Reusable: Eva-Dry E-333 Renewable Small Space Closet Dehumidifier
This mini dehumidifier by Eva-Dry comes in a set of two. It absorbs moisture, ensuring mildew protection and dampness prevention. Given its size, it is best suited to storage containers. Cabinets, lockers, and small closets. At the heart of the unit lies a silica gel packet that is responsible for the task of absorbing moisture. It is rechargeable and has air ducts in the front. Along with the air ducts are two indicators responsible for signaling when the unit is in operation or when the tank is full. Do bear in mind that the silica gel packet needs to be changed every 20-30 days.
- Prevents allergens
- Eco-friendly materials
- Compact and portable design
- It may take a while to absorb the moisture.
Now that you’ve had a look at some of the best dehumidifiers, it’s time to take that leap of faith. However, before you purchase one, there are a few key points suggested by home experts that you must bear in mind.
How To Choose The Right Dehumidifier For Closets?
- Size: One of the most important considerations when choosing a dehumidifier is the size of the closet. For instance, if you have a large closet, you will need a medium-sized dehumidifier to get the job done. While a small dehumidifier will also work, it will not be as effective as a larger one. The difference between the size of the dehumidifiers is the difference between the quickness of moisture absorption. A larger-sized dehumidifier can absorb the moisture in a particular area quicker than a smaller dehumidifier in the same area.
- Energy efficiency: It’s wise to purchase a dehumidifier that is eco-friendly and energy-saving. The dehumidifier will have to run for the entire day that can burn a hole in your wallet. Generally speaking, the larger the dehumidifier, the more amount of power it is likely to consume.
- Moisture capacity: The moisture capacity of a dehumidifier is directly linked to its water tank size and capacity. The unit can only hold as much water as is determined by its water tank. A dehumidifier with a high moisture capacity can store a lot of water and requires less maintenance. That reduces the burden of having to empty the water tank.
- Ease of operation: Home experts say that it is important to have a dehumidifier that is easy to use. Having a user-friendly design, coupled with simple controls makes it easy to operate. Almost all dehumidifiers require minimal interference or intervention. Since they more or less function on their own, it’s better to purchase one with user-friendly controls to reduce your workload. Some dehumidifiers offer digital control panels that help to regulate humidity levels.
- Additional features: Some neat features to have when it comes to dehumidifiers are timers, low noise levels, and automatic shutoff functions. These 3 features add to the functionality and enhance the operation of dehumidifiers. The automatic shutoff function prevents unnecessary spillage as it gives you an alert when the tank is full.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have prepared this list of the best closet dehumidifiers for those who live in high humidity areas and need to get rid of moisture from wardrobes and closets while ensuring optimal closet freshness. We aim to make the life of parents and children easier, and our review process involves extensive research into the product’s details, market performance, and user feedback. These options have also been endorsed by consumers across several e-commerce websites.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What causes the build-up of mold in a closet?
One of the key factors contributing to the formation and growth of mold in a closet is moisture. Moisture in the air gets trapped in the clothes and closet, leading to mold build-up. The only way for mold prevention is by keeping the air inside your closet free of moisture and your clothes dry.
2. How do I lower the humidity in my closet?
The best way of doing this is by using a dehumidifier that works, especially for reducing the moisture content in your closet. A dehumidifier uses desiccant materials to trap moisture from surrounding areas and helps keep your clothes and closet dry, offering closet humidity management.
3. Should I go with a large dehumidifier instead?
This depends upon the size and location of your closet. The larger your dehumidifier, the more moisture it can trap. For instance, if you have a small closet, a portable and compact dehumidifier may work well. However, if your closet is big or situated in a place where dampness and mold are known to thrive, you may need a large dehumidifier.
4. How long do closet dehumidifiers last?
This depends upon the type of dehumidifier. Those that work on electricity and batteries tend to have a slightly longer lifespan. However, they will require constant battery charging or replacement. Those that do not depend on batteries or electricity last between 30-60 days. Keep in mind that even rechargeable and electrical dehumidifiers must be maintained every 30-60 days.
5. How do dehumidifiers work in closets?
Some work on batteries, some are rechargeable, and others are non-reusable closet moisture absorbers. Most electricity-based ones come equipped with silica gel crystals to absorb the moisture in the closet, while single-use ones could contain activated charcoal or calcium chloride as well.
6. Can I use a dehumidifier for drying clothes?
No, closet dehumidifiers cannot be used as a clothes dryer. However, you can use them to keep the closet free of moisture and odor, thus preventing and removing the musty smell and reducing mold build-up in cabinets and on washed and dried clothes.
High moisture can cause water stains or water patches on your closet. It can also damage electronic and household items and make your life miserable. The best closet dehumidifiers reduce the moisture in the air in humid regions and protect your clothes and fabric from mold. There are different types of dehumidifiers, such as electrical, rechargeable, battery-powered, and moisture absorbers. So pick one that best suits your requirements. Our top recommendations include the mess-free Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier and the DampRid Hanging Bag Moisture Absorber with built-in fragrance box. Similarly, the non-electric airBOSS Closet Dehumidifier is ideal for cars and smaller spaces. Before purchasing, you should also consider factors like size, energy efficiency, moisture capacity, and ease of operation.
Infographic: Ways To Dehumidify The Closet
Besides using closet dehumidifiers, observing additional preventive methods can help keep mustiness and mold at bay. So, check out the following infographic to learn more about keeping your closet and cabinets moisture-free.