The best clothes drying rack can save your money and reduce the need for dryers. It is easy to assemble, fits anywhere due to its compact size, and is portable for use wherever you go. Made of metal, this handy laundry equipment comes with a rust-proof finish, making it suitable for use indoors or outdoors. There are several tried-and-tested options available for your laundry requirements.
Paula Tarling, a professional domestic cleaner, says, “It’s worth investing in a sturdy drying rack when the weather isn’t warm or dry enough to dry your clothes. When choosing a rack, opt for one with a lot of drying space—it should leave gaps between clothing for proper air circulation and quicker drying.”
Here is a list of the best drying racks for clothes and a buying guide to help you pick the right one for yourself.
17 Best Clothes Drying Racks
The Amazon Basics Foldable Clothes Drying Rack is an ideal option for houses with restricted space. Its durable, lightweight steel makes it portable and easy to set up as per requirement. The chrome surface protects against rust and corrosion. Weighing 32 pounds, this portable clothes drying rack can accommodate a heavy load of clothes to dry at a time. When not in use, it folds flat for compact storage. Here’s a short review video detailing a tester’s experience with the clothes drying rack.
- Sturdy construction
- Easily fits in a small closet
- Stable legs
- Mildew- and rust-resistant
- Bars may become loose over time
- May not be weather-resistant
Minky homecare’s multi-rack clothes drying rack with wheels has an alloy steel construction, making it durable and long-lasting. It has no levers or catches and is easy to open and close. This metal clothes drying rack folds flat for convenient storage and is versatile and easy to use. It measures 78 feet and can hold two washloads.
- Wheels for easy positioning
- Flat drying section for delicates
- Freestanding design
- Wings may not be adjustable
- May not have a latch to keep the folded rack together
With a simple foldable design, this gullwing rack can be set up in various positions to suit the available space. You can maximize the hanging options with its 46 linear lengths. Its highlighted features include a sweater shelf and shoe-hanging space. Built of strong steel arms, the hanging clothes drying rack has a high loading capacity to take up a week’s laundry. Not sure if this is the right fit for you? Check out this review video of this clothes drying rack with shelves to make an informed decision.
- Comes with anti-skid legs
- Freestanding mounting type
- Folds to be compact
- May not withstand too much weight
- Some rods may be flimsy
Best With High Loading Capacity
|Amazon Basics Foldable Clothes Drying Laundry Rack||Minky Homecare Multi Dryer Drying Rack||Honey-Can-Do Heavy Duty Gullwing Drying Rack|
|Dimensions||29.5 x 14.5 x 41.8 inches.||25.5 x 50 x 48 inches||57 x 23.5 x 37 inches|
|Weight||3.9 pounds||10.1 pounds||7.26 pounds|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
Made of eco-friendly bamboo material, this tired clothes drying rack fits perfectly in eco-conscious homes. Its collapsible design makes it easy to fold and store when not in use. The outdoor and indoor clothes drying rack has nine bars with tiered racks to provide continuous airflow to your clothes, while the hinged angles offer extra space for drying. It is lightweight, portable, and recommended for indoor use only.
- Comes fully assembled
- Keeps your clothes wrinkle-free
- Offers a great gap between the rods
- Has no anti-skid legs
- May have sharp edges
5. Best Stainless Steel: Step Up Laundry Drying Rack
Step Up laundry drying rack is a space-saving solution with a retractable design–it expands and folds flat when not in use. This quality-tested product has a sleek design that blends well with your surroundings and is versatile enough for use in patios, balconies, laundry rooms, or bathrooms. The six heavy-duty aluminum rods can hold up to 60 pounds of weight.X
- Stainless and durable
- Electrostatic paint
- Allows maximum space utilization
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- May not be easy to assemble
- May be slightly heavy
6. Best Wooden:Pennsylvania Woodworks Clothes Drying Rack
The Pennsylvania Woodworks clothes drying rack is a solid maple hardwood rack that is durable and wobble-resistant, making it perfect for drying larger loads of laundry. This laundry rack requires no assembly and can fold down flat for convenient storage. Furthermore, the durable wooden clothes drying rack is suitable for drying clothes indoors and outdoors.
- Heavy-duty and stable
- Sanded smooth to prevent snags
- Fine-grain, high-density wood
- Hidden dowels for a seamless look
- Available in multiple sizes
- May be a bit heavy
- Dowels may be a bit rough
Hang your clothes with ease with this Whitmor over-the-door clothes drying rack that has a convenient design. The ample space between each rod promotes proper airflow to dry the clothes. You can fold the rack flat when not in use for compact storage. It is ideal for small laundry and for drying small garments such as towels, socks, and more.
- Easy to assemble
- Handy for quick use
- Comes with hooks to hang the clothes
- Doesn’t wrinkle your clothes
- Hinges may be a tad flimsy
- Folding back up to compact size may be tough
The Mdesign over-the-door two-tiered rack is ideal for indoor air-drying of clothes. Its 14 wide rods provide high-loading capacity, maximizing the drying options. The foldable and collapsible clothes drying rack allows you to store it in any space-limited room when not in use. It does not require any floor space and can be fixed on a door without any tools. Its strong build, rust-proof finish, and high durability make this clothes drying rack ideal for any dorm room, apartment, campers, and RVs.
- Ideal to use in laundry and utility rooms
- Easy to assemble
- Can be easily cleaned with damp cloth
- Metal hooks may leave marks on the door or frame
- Bottom rack may collapse on its own sometimes
9. Best Collapsible:Tangkula Clothes Drying Rack
The Tangkula clothes drying rack is a good option for drying your clothes quickly and efficiently. This collapsible rack can withstand weights up to 26.4lb and offers a unique combination of convenience and reliability. Further, the rack features an expansive top with multiple rods, making it easy to hang your clothes and other items.
- Lightweight and portable
- Stainless steel frame
- Adjustable length
- Easy to store
- Has a rust-proof coating
- Might be a little wobbly
- Rods might bend over time
The Songmics folding clothes drying rack has a comprehensive design with 33 rails in two tiers. With its stainless steel build, 27 clips, and a loading capacity of 77 pounds, this clothes drying rack with clips is sturdy and can hold heavy, damp clothes. You can open its wings to increase its capacity and hang small garments. Its adjustable height is an additional feature to transform it as per the space available.
- Easy to fold and rack up
- Water- and rust-resistant
- Comes pre-assembled
- Rounded corners
- May not be suitable to dry wide clothes without folding
- Some bars may be flimsy
Adjust this laundry rack by Artmoon Gobi as per the space with the help of extendable rods. The outdoor clothes drying rack has a sturdy steel frame and is lightweight and durable, providing a loading capacity of 22 pounds. The rust-proof finish makes it ideal for outdoor usage too. With a compact design, it is suitable for bathrooms, small houses, and bedrooms.
- Convenient to store
- Non-skid foot pads
- Contracts sideways
- Comes with two-year warranty
- Has no wheels to move the rack
- Doesn’t have clips or provisions to hang socks
The Oxo folding sweater drying rack is an innovative and efficient way to dry your sweaters and other delicate clothes. Its mesh surface allows quick drying without any risk of stretching or creasing your sweaters. This tried-and-tested clothes drying rack with mesh is made of stainless steel, making it durable and reliable, and the fold-flat legs make it compact and easy to store.
- Large surface
- Heavy-duty construction
- Offset leg design to fit on smaller surfaces
- May not be suitable for heavier items such as blankets or comforters
- May not be easy to assemble
Try this Yubelles clothes drying rack that is made of carbon steel pipes and PP parts that are rust-proof and durable. Its adjustable wings give sufficient space to dry large loads of laundry at a time. You can fold the frame flat for easy storage. It is lightweight and can be moved from indoor to outdoor easily.
- Safe foot pads
- Can be used for shoes and quilts as well
- Comes fully assembled
- Wide gap between bars
- Legs may wiggle
- May take more effort to open and close
The retractable clothesline is ideal for organizing your bathroom and laundry room. Its ten expandable rods can be used to dry clothes, hold towels, store toiletries, detergents, and more. This compact and unique, retractable clothes drying rack fits in with any house decor and has a high loading capacity.
- Wall mounting type
- Comes with clear assembly instructions
- Ideal for small spaces
- Edges of the unit may be sharp
- Screws may not hold well
Are you looking for the dryer rack that offers ample hanging cloth space? The FKUO Clothes Drying Rack is long and sturdy, suitable for smaller and confined places. Its spaciously placed rods provide ample airflow to the clothes allowing them to dry gently. When not in use, the collapsible design folds flat for compact storage. The chrome finish protects against rust, and its durable, rugged design avoids any deformity or cracks.
- Protective plastic foot pads
- Thick tubes
- Features a PP plastic connector
- Bars may be difficult to get back into holes if they pop out
- May be smaller than expected
The Bartnelli Accordion Style Clothes Drying Rack has eight rods that can be expanded as needed. You can quickly assemble the rack with minimal tools. Made of stainless steel, it is strong and sturdy, providing a high loading capacity of 45 pounds. With a smooth, rust-proof finish, this quality-tested product is easy to clean and is a practical option for houses with limited space.
- Round rubber edges for safety
- Strong hinges
- Can accommodate hangers
- Ideal for home and outdoor use
- May not be stable on hollow doors
- May not come with clear installation instructions
Air-dry your clothes with ease using this foldable drying rack by Home Intuition. It is a functional, lightweight, and space-saving solution perfect for small apartments with limited space. Made of corrosion-resistant stainless steel, this rack can withstand heavy-duty use, and its premium anti-rust coating keeps the drying rack looking new for longer.
- Sturdy design
- Easy to store
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Leg caps to protect floors from scratches
- Strong hinges
- May be slightly bulky
How To Choose The Right Clothes Drying Rack?
Here are some essential features to consider before purchasing a clothes drying rack.
- Type: Choose from the different types of drying racks depending on your requirement
- Hanging: They can be fixed on the top of a door and are ideal for drying a few clothes. Their space-saving design is suitable for houses with restricted spaces.
- Rack: These models are ideal for drying delicate clothes. They are compact, lightweight, and travel-friendly.
- Wall-mounted: They can be mounted on walls and are expandable. You can fold-out or fold-in the rods as needed and hang clothes indoors.
- Umbrella: These are linear and compact models of outdoor racks. The umbrella shape can provide high-loading capacity.
- Folding: These models can be easily folded and stored when not in use. They usually have hinged rods for easy maneuverability.
- Material: Drying racks are made of stainless steel and bamboo and are corrosion-, rust-, and mold-resistant. They are strong, durable, and provide a sturdy base to hold heavy and thick clothes.
- Size: A household with a single person can opt for small models. Homes with large families and babies require drying racks with extensive options.
- Place of usage: Most drying racks can be used both indoors and outdoors. Large racks with a strong build stand firm outdoors as they can withstand wind. They are also ideal for drying blankets and sheets. Indoor racks can be both door- or wall-mounting variety. They are suitable to dry lighter and smaller clothes.
- Drying space: This factor depends on the design used. Some drying racks provide up to 40 feet of drying space.
- Storage: Compact designs can be folded to store and take less space. Some models can be folded-in to save space, and some other models can be flattened to fit into your cupboards when not in use.
- Assembly: Most of the clothes drying racks are easy to assemble. The wall-mount models may require a few tools. You may refer to reviews and product assembly videos online for more information.
Why Trust MomJunction?
A good-quality clothes drying rack could help dry your laundry easily without taking up too much space. Hence, our writers and reviewers have compiled this list of the best clothes drying racks in the market based on size, features, and ease of portability, while considering the reviews and ratings for each product. We have also included a buying guide with the required information and have offered some pointers regarding how to choose the right product based on factors such as material, drying space, and storage.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I install a wall-mounted drying rack?
Wall-mounting clothes drying racks are very simple to install. Here are a few steps you can follow: Mark the points where you want to mount the drying rack, hold the drying rack in position with the help of another person, and position the screws and screw them tightly.
2. How should I use a cloth-drying rack?
Install the drying rack where you get proper sunlight and hang your clothes on it to dry.
3. What types of clothing should always be dried on a drying rack?
Some clothes, like bathing suits, are very delicate and not meant for dryers. Therefore, you can dry these clothes easily on a drying rack.
4. Do drying racks save energy?
Yes, clothes drying racks save a great amount of electrical energy by drying clothes using sunlight.
Having a clothes drying rack suitable for indoors and outdoors can help make laundry day less stressful. With a diverse range of designs and types available, choose the best clothes drying rack for your needs based on the drying space available and the space required to install the rack. Also, choose a rack made of durable and rust-proof material to ensure long-lasting performance. Further, you could opt for a lightweight model so that it is easy to shift indoors or outdoors. Our favorite picks include the Amazon Basics Foldable Clothes Drying Laundry Rack for its compact and foldable design, the Honey-Can-Do Heavy Duty Gullwing Drying Rack, which provides multiple hanging options, and the Pennsylvania Woodworks Clothes Drying Rack for its stability and snag-proof surface.